University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Easy going and great management
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
Rexall has great advancement and offers great health benefits to their employees. Rexall has a lot of core values that they implement on their staff and they have high expectations for how we treat customers. Customer service is number one and it is our responsibility to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. Management is fair and easy to deal with. Rexall also provides health insurance to their employees and has a wonderful Union.

The University of Toronto was a great place to work at. I learned a lot about job culture and what it's like to deal with colleagues who have worked there way up the latter.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Review of every day
Manager of Caretaking and Stores Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
They are a Top 100 Employer , I thought the University would be organized a little better! Management does not back the Supervisor, most people are afraid every day about loosing their job, unless they are in the Union.
Pros
Short day, lots of Vacation, good Benifits
Cons
No overtime, No security
Great people to work with and a lot of things to learn
Finance Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
I worked as a Financial Lab Assistant at U of T when I was a student there. I spent 8 hours per week in the lab; besides making sure the rules in the lab were followed, I spent most of the time learning about Bloomburg, Capital IQ and other equity research tools. Also, I was assigned financial modeling projects by the Finance Lab Librarian, from which I gained valuable experience. The salary of this position is not high, but I learnt a lot from it.
UofT
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
The University of Toronto is a wonderful, fast paced workplace. It can be a fantastic employer and has a lot of perks, further education, tuition coverage and great benefits.
Pros
Education
Cons
Lay offs
great place to be
Academic Presentations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Statistics Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Friendly and great training
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
A typical day at work was communication heavy with students. I mostly coordinated exams and assisted in the office with various administration tasks such as filing, grading, writing course outlines. I learned how to give appropriate responses to inquiries and improve student relations within the school. The management was very organized and prepared. My co-workers were friendly and was very engaged in my training. The hardest part of the job was the organization of the coordination of over 2,000 domestic and international exams. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work/life balance.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
outdated cubical work stations
Productive and fun environment
CSC108 Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2016
It's a very good salary for a fun work environment. UofT is definitely a place to consider for job opportunities.
I would say that it is difficult to get a job with the faculty but once you do, it's a very enjoyable experience.
University of Toronto is a great place to work
Receptionist and Outreach, Physics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at the University, at both the St. George Campus and the Mississauga Campus.

All jobs have been challenging, and enjoyable. Most recently, the Physics Department has been the best experience. The people I worked with were the best. I had the opportunity to learn new systems - key database. The management was great, always approachable. Attending courses and seminars was always encouraged.
Pros
Learning opportunities, culture diversity of location, benefits and salary were comparable.
Cons
Distance to work lately, since the move to Milton.
really friendly working environment
CSR/General Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
all part-time staff are great. We are basically students from U of T. It is a friendly working environment. But we only get minimum pay and no benefits at all.
Great job, intelligent, and friendly students and staff
Accessibility Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2016
A typical day at work was transporting handicapped and injured students in and around the campus.
I learned how to communicate more effectively, be on time, and be flexible.
The management was competent and good to me
The co-workers were helpful, hardworking, and competent
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't pick students at the specified time, the vehicle was malfunctioning or bad weather.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with students and driving.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Malfunctioning vehicle, bad weather, unable to meet time objectives
Hard Work but very Satisfying
Co-President, Pakistan Development Fund (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
The Pakistan Development Fund is an intensive teamwork centric environment within UofT. The people were a great support and everyone was willing to go out of their way to ensure that events ran smoothly. It was an intense job that involved long hours and commitment, but it was worth it with the high turn out and returns.
Pros
event skills, team
Cons
long hours, commitment after school work
A place full of talented and amazing people
Volunteer / Research Opportunity Program student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
• Conducted tests and interviews, analyzed and entered data, and transcribed and translated interviews for several ongoing psychology studies in the Applied Psychology Department.
• Assisted in running Friendship Across Cultures intervention program. Responsible for running discussion and activity sections on acculturation each week at a local school.
• Together with a partner, conducted a research on friendship analysis on Canadian students and international students.
Innovative
Process Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2016
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) is a federal Crown corporation responsible for the long-term, contractual arrangement with Canadian National Energy Alliance (CNEA) for the management and operation of Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) under a Government-owned, Contractor-operated (GoCo) model. This follows the announcement by the Government of Canada in June 2015 of the selection of CNEA through a competitive procurement process. AECL works to monitor performance under the GoCo arrangement to meet Government objectives.
University is a good place to work
Manager, Application Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2016
The UofT has interesting projects to work on and great people. Good benefits and growing salary. Ia addition to vacation - 2 weeks Christmas break.
Friendly and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 October 2016
There's always something to keep you happy on Mississauga campus.
If we decided to stay after hours during winter, we still got to sit in the library and focus on our studies.
The hardest part was finding good food on campus for the first 2 years, but with the new food court which was opened in Davis Building, we had more options to choose from.
I got to work with students with different learning abilities and I had to switch my approach for every one of them. I also had to learn how to balance my own studies to remain an A student and help others as well
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
Amazing anti bias pluralistic place to work
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
University of Toronto was the best place to work. The staff and management uphold the highest standards of equity and fair practice all the time and they advocate for people with disabilities. I strongly recommend them as a model environment for work and studying.
Pros
Open pluralistic
Cons
Amazing job, awesome people, management was incredible.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
I loved my time working at various libraries at UofT. I would go back in a second if I could. All three bosses I worked under were incredibly accessible and easy going, truly amazing people. Library patrons were always friendly and I never worked with anyone who wasn't a delight. The work itself was never overwhelming and I enjoyed every second working there.
Pros
Friendly and passionate bosses, friendly clientele, great job all around.
Always Contract
Back End Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
No hope of being regular. Strict working hours. Must come in at 8:45am and be gone by 5:00pm. If late, they don't want you to work extra to cover the time that you missed. Have employees here that are still only under contract even after working for so long. A manager was fired even after 10+ years just because he disagreed with the manager.
Engaging and fun
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
The role of a practical leader consisted of solving weekly problem sets, quizzes, and mark lab notebooks.
As a leader, I learned time management skills and explored different ways of addressing a large group.
The most enjoyable aspect is to help students understand complex concepts by breaking down problems into smaller simple ones.

4.4