University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Very good but very boring work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  UofT17 January 2017
Very nice place to work on your own research since there are many other researchers working on new ideas every day. Aside from that, the entire process of my research was data analytics which I am not very interested in and therefore it was very boring and tiring job to do.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Boring task
Great autonomy and trust. Very easy to work with.
Communications Consultant - Faculty of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
This is a contract role, so I spend most of my time from my home office. I do like the organization though and would work for them full time, if the opportunity were presented.
Pros
Trust
Cons
Long approval process
A place to work and grow
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Being a research assistant is one of the best opportunities I have had in my life. It gives me all the freedom to be expressive about my ideas, and execute them while ensuring I have the right guidance while going about it.
The teaching assistant position was a part time position I had taken up. It gave me a first-hand experience of being a teacher, and it was something I never imagined it to be like. The challenge was to understand the student's point of view, go back to a time when I never knew the concepts, and had to learn them for the first time.
Lots of hands on tasks.
Videographer/Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Recorded lectures for select university courses.
Mastered professional audio/video equipment and software,
maintained a database for archived videos.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Good place to work. Good employees and employer. Good building. Everything is good. Good good good. Almost near the minimum character limit...and it's done.
great working environmeny
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Pros
Professors are nice and willing to help at anytime. I get practiced in explaining complicated ideas or concepts in an understandable way. The feeling worth more than the salary earned. UofT counts the working hour and pay the corresponding salaries in a very generous way.
Cons
It takes a lot of individual time to get ready for the tutorial. Students ask about easy questions repeatedly and teaching assistants have to explain again and again.
Computer Science Computing Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
It was a part time job. We would have a meeting every week. I was working 6 hours a week. Typical workday was sitting in front of the computer lab and waiting for the students to come and ask questions. I believe I improved my communication and troubleshooting skills. My coworkers were really nice people and we were helping each other if someone gets stuck on something. The hardest part of the job was to sacrifice time and go to work when you have a lot of stuff to study for. Other than that, all the parts were enjoyable.
Fun to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
I enjoyed working there. A typical day at work would to call alumni to raise funds towards the campaigns the University would conduct seasonally. Campaigns could be towards infrastructure and services the University offers towards its current students. I learned how to talk on the phone on a professional manner and this skill has served me useful.
Positive and developmental role
Orientation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Was able to manage a team of executives + work closely with administration. Able to develop event planning and leadership skills. Was able to understand and deal with conflict resolution.
Good
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 December 2016
Loved working for University of Toronto. It was a great and welcoming atmosphere and taught me many things. My co-workers were the best. They made the job well worth it.
My Volunteer Lecturer Experience at Univ of Toronto
Volunteer Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2016
I have volunteered as a Lecturer at University of Toronto for the past 9 years by delivering two 2-hour lectures, designing and checking answer sheets for about 30 graduate level students. I found my experience and mentorship offered to me at Univ of Toronto to be excellent. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Smart
Veterinary Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2016
Smart minds together. Good group of people. Lots of chances to learn. Atmosphere was supportive. Still keep in contact with many people as its a small but supportive community.
Very independent and initative based work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
As a research assistant, the job is not unlike that of a major research assignment or essay due for a university level class. You are posed with a general research direction or question and then left very much to your own devices to research, write and submit a finished product. With that said, being able to work efficiently and productively on your own time is key. Procrastination or relying on somebody else to keep you on task are both recipes for failure.
Pros
very independent, ability to make your own hours
Cons
a lot of constructive criticisms of your work
UofT
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
The University of Toronto is a wonderful, fast paced workplace. It can be a fantastic employer and has a lot of perks, further education, tuition coverage and great benefits.
Pros
Education
Cons
Lay offs
Grading exams and assignments
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
- Conducted weekly office hours for students to resolve their problems and develop their critical thinking
- Graded over 2000 exam papers effectively with strong attention to details

- Collaborated with fellow TAs to complete various tasks, such as administration, developing case marking keys and grading assignments and exams
Creative Thinking Work Environment
Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Everyday was a different and amazing. I acknowledged a lot from my senior developers and colleagues. I become even better at coding and learnt how to work as a team.
A very supportive inclusive team
Associate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 November 2016
I am completing my Co-op Term as the HR Associate Coordinator at University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. I help students with their job applications and interviews in one on one appointments. The Student Development Team is very supportive. IT's a fast paced High involvement environment where every employee's opinion and input is encouraged and appreciated.
Overall experience
SCHOOL CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 November 2016
I enjoy the people that I worked with. The people were very helpful and productive with their assigned tasks. On a typical day I would clean the washrooms and collect the garbage for the entire school. I enjoyed working alone because I am someone who takes initiative and well timely managed.
Pros
Starting time
Cons
Finished very late at night
too good to be true
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
Everything is too good to be true, if you think it is right, but it is too good to be true . remember it

most part is routing
go there, take class, go home and finish the work
Good Employer
Marketing, Executive Degree Programs (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
University of Toronto has been ranked in Canada's Top Employer rankings for many years and I would say it's deserved. But there are hundreds of different departments within and where you work makes a ton of difference

4.4