University of Saskatchewan

University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews in Canada

AWESOME
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 19, 2015
I love it here, its the best experience I have had as a student and as a worker. The staff are amazing and they really make you feel welcome. So many great experiences to have here.
Energetic and passionate about serving students and faculty
Program and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 11, 2014
The atmosphere is very refreshing with so much energy in the air by the new students each year. The facilities and grounds are lovely and always provide a calming environment for staff and students.

Management is very strong in leadership skills and look out for the best interest of their staff.

Highly recommend working at the University of Saskatchewan.
Pros
strong leadership skills
Cons
budgets are always tight
Post-doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK.May 8, 2015
It is a good university even though the city (Saskatoon) itself is not attractive. My supervisor was nice and helpful. Working location was calm and clean.
Exciting research
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 12, 2015
I worked part-time for a short duration for a new researcher who was setting up his lab. It was exciting that the crystals we were growing were being analyzed at the synchrotron.
A good and conducive environment to work.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2014
A typical day of work starts with checking all the equipment and setting up the laboratory for the day's experiment. Obtaining research data and analysing the data forms part of the most exciting part of my job. However, working until the late hours is something that happens on daily basis. This is because once a particular experiment is started, such must be completed before equipment are shut down.
Pros
availability of all equipment needed.
Cons
working alone
Chanllenging place but with a lot of fun
Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 22, 2014
A great place for academic enhancement. Being an Teaching Assistant is a great way of practice public speaking skills and communicating with individuals.

I love to work with my professors,classmates and students. The most enjoyable part of the job is as the expression of "learning by doing" that as a Teaching Assistant I need to answer all kinds of students emails. This enhanced my skills of independently study.
expanded my knowledge base and allowed me to learn not only about my own culture but cultures from around the world
Teaching Assistant - Native Studies Department (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanSeptember 14, 2012
Lead weekly seminars and discuss Native Issues as they pertain to Native peoples, while examing the contribution Aboriginals have made to thier own development and history. Examine how Aboriginal people situate themselves in both rural and urban settings.
Pros
achieved a university level education
Cons
pay not enough to live on.
enjoyable work and after work activities
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 28, 2012
HPLC, LC-MS/MS, Extraction ( Liquid/Liquid, SPE ).
Happy with problem was solved.
Be glad to work with co-workers.
The most hardest part of the job is sometimes LC-MS/MS experiments cannot repeat due to lots of people using quite different mobile phase.
The most enjoyable part of the job is I can planning my day work according to my proffessor's ideas.
The most enjoyable activities are playing table tennis and bedminton after work.
Pros
pot luck
Cons
long weekend
Good experience and challenging
CE495 4th Year Design Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKNovember 20, 2014
I get to lead my final year design group for our year long project. It was both challenging and valuable experience to have to plan the schedule, set up meetings, keep everyone on track and try and help everyone to their best potential.
The work was fulfiling which gives me the access to student related issues and concern
Student Crew worker (Former Employee) –  saskatoon, saskatchewanApril 20, 2012
The job improved my education-communication skills and opportunity to work with fellow students that are ready to work and following the rules and regulation policy of the job.
I have no encounter of hardship in the job as it was all fun working with students
Pros
free meal
Cons
considerable amount of hours for student
great co workers
Support Group worker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 11, 2013
lots of hard work for low to moderate pay
good place to learn
great co-workers and characters
the hardest part is to watch how the administration group is growing in numbers - and letting go of the actual workers to replace them with MORE ADMIN STAFF. HEAVY AT THE TOP!!! waiting for the CRASH or to be laid off.
the best part of my job is the people I get to work with
Pros
get pay
Cons
don't get me started
Alright place to work
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 5, 2014
The University was a alright place to work. My typical day at work would be clearing off snow from sidewalks. My co-workers were very good to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to get all the areas done. There were a lot of priorities when working at the University but not enough guys to help.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Productive and inspiring place to work
Alumni Student caller Representative (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 20, 2013
Learnt how to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty by applying emphatic communication skills and handling conflict resolutions with customers.

Most challenging part of the job is meeting targets for the organization and was up to the task.
Pros
free pizzas after meeting weekly target
politically toxic
Nobody in particular (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonApril 4, 2013
not a great place. They strive to be at the 50th percentile in terms of salary. Very hierarchical in structure. With the budget cuts, not much in terms of job security, and not much vision or leadership from senior management.
Pros
good vacation for employees; decent work-life balance
Cons
toxic political mess; hierarchical
Grader Math Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 7, 2015
Always looking forward in going to work. Enjoy the environment of helping the ones especially interested in succeeding.
Productive and fun work place with good employees safety program
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 1, 2015
The most enjoyable part of a job is being able to relate well with your co-workers on different strata of the corporate ladder.
Very Nice University
Ph.D. (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonMarch 5, 2015
Saskatoon is cold! That is for sure.
If you are looking for a place you can consecrate on studying, I would recommend this place.
Working with data and customers not always fun, but at the end it worth it because one can learn a lot on how to come up with solution to the problem
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of SaskatchewanMarch 26, 2013
I like my job because it challenging and to have the ability to come up with solution is great feel. Have fun with supervisors and co-workers.
Big Campus (compared to my previous Uni.)
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 17, 2013
Stay inside and take the temptation of going outside even when it is sunny. Saskatoon is a very cold place. The temperature can go below -50. Otherwise, it is a fun place to study in.
Pros
work permit after graduation
Cons
too cold to go outside
fun
parking volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 15, 2012
a typical day at work is usually tiring but very enjoyable.you learn alot from the people you work with the hardest part of the job is when the sun is at its peak and you have to work and most enjoyable part of the job is when i get paid.
Pros
cheap coffee
Cons
2 coffee breaks and a lunch break

4.4