University of Saskatchewan

University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews in Canada

Research Technician
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 12, 2014
Enjoyed working with PHDs and professor. Completing lab experiments. Creating a report
Pros
very friendly
Cons
contract based low salary
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 30, 2015
The university communitty is so big and there is always something going on that you can get involved in. The size might make it impersonal but with the right work ethic, you will stand out, and will be rewarded accordingly
Great atmosphere with lots of flexability
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 20, 2015
This is a really great place to work, for a first time job. You can make lots of great friends, and they are really good at working around your schedule.
Engaging and stimulating work environement
SEMINAR LEADER (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 13, 2015
This is a fantastic place to work for academically oriented thinkers. The people are warm and interesting, and the campus is stunningly beautiful.
excellent place to work
2nd Class Engineer Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 29, 2013
great staff. excellent benefits. modern .fun place to work, very engaged
Pros
fun
A typical day
University Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 17, 2015
Typical day of work:
- getting ready in the morning, review messages, outline the plan for the day.
-Outline the plan is something I learned so your prepared but also be ready for changes.
- Management and co-works. Check in with superiors. If the co-workers are directly working with me, make sure we are on the same page moving forward.
- Hardest part of the job is political meetings such as AGM's.
- Most enjoyable is working with the athletes and competition
Pros
its the sport world
Cons
extensive
fun place to work in
Research Assistant / Assitant project manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 4, 2014
• Assessing various literature database and rigorous management in various software e.g Rev man, EndNote, Excel
• Co-ordination of project activities
• Communications officer for Research team
Pros
breaks
Cons
Energetic and passionate about serving students and faculty
Program and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKOctober 11, 2014
The atmosphere is very refreshing with so much energy in the air by the new students each year. The facilities and grounds are lovely and always provide a calming environment for staff and students.

Management is very strong in leadership skills and look out for the best interest of their staff.

Highly recommend working at the University of Saskatchewan.
Pros
strong leadership skills
Cons
budgets are always tight
AWESOME
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 19, 2015
I love it here, its the best experience I have had as a student and as a worker. The staff are amazing and they really make you feel welcome. So many great experiences to have here.
Post-doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK.May 8, 2015
It is a good university even though the city (Saskatoon) itself is not attractive. My supervisor was nice and helpful. Working location was calm and clean.
Exciting research
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 12, 2015
I worked part-time for a short duration for a new researcher who was setting up his lab. It was exciting that the crystals we were growing were being analyzed at the synchrotron.
great co workers
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 11, 2013
lots of hard work for low to moderate pay
good place to learn
great co-workers and characters
little to no job security
the best part of my job is the people I get to work with
Pros
get pay
Cons
not sure who will be here next year :(
A good and conducive environment to work.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2014
A typical day of work starts with checking all the equipment and setting up the laboratory for the day's experiment. Obtaining research data and analysing the data forms part of the most exciting part of my job. However, working until the late hours is something that happens on daily basis. This is because once a particular experiment is started, such must be completed before equipment are shut down.
Pros
availability of all equipment needed.
Cons
working alone
enjoyable work and after work activities
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 28, 2012
HPLC, LC-MS/MS, Extraction ( Liquid/Liquid, SPE ).
Happy with problem was solved.
Be glad to work with co-workers.
The most hardest part of the job is sometimes LC-MS/MS experiments cannot repeat due to lots of people using quite different mobile phase.
The most enjoyable part of the job is I can planning my day work according to my proffessor's ideas.
The most enjoyable activities are playing table tennis and bedminton after work.
Pros
pot luck
Cons
long weekend
expanded my knowledge base and allowed me to learn not only about my own culture but cultures from around the world
Teaching Assistant - Native Studies Department (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanSeptember 14, 2012
Lead weekly seminars and discuss Native Issues as they pertain to Native peoples, while examing the contribution Aboriginals have made to thier own development and history. Examine how Aboriginal people situate themselves in both rural and urban settings.
Pros
achieved a university level education
Cons
pay not enough to live on.
Chanllenging place but with a lot of fun
Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKFebruary 22, 2014
A great place for academic enhancement. Being an Teaching Assistant is a great way of practice public speaking skills and communicating with individuals.

I love to work with my professors,classmates and students. The most enjoyable part of the job is as the expression of "learning by doing" that as a Teaching Assistant I need to answer all kinds of students emails. This enhanced my skills of independently study.
Grader Math Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 7, 2015
Always looking forward in going to work. Enjoy the environment of helping the ones especially interested in succeeding.
fun
parking volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 15, 2012
a typical day at work is usually tiring but very enjoyable.you learn alot from the people you work with the hardest part of the job is when the sun is at its peak and you have to work and most enjoyable part of the job is when i get paid.
Pros
cheap coffee
Cons
2 coffee breaks and a lunch break
I am a PhD student
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 6, 2012
I can only provide student perspective as I am a graduate student here. Friendly work environment.
Pros
helpful, friendly
Cons
away from any significant industry. poor career development
working in academic environment was very gratifying and stimulating
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJanuary 24, 2013
My typical day of work involved meeting the public which is predominantly students, faculty, dept heads and other campus staff, answering phones, using the PAWS banner system, the UniFi accounting system, the extension delivery department, interdepartmental relationships such as College of Education, College of Arts and Science, the Office of the President aboriginal initiatives and the Aboriginal Students Centre for Student Services. My role was to manage classlists, book lists, posting schedules, order stationary, take bulk print jobs for printing, doing class evaluations, sit on campus committees, organize public speaking events with local, national and international scholars. There was also opportunity to take classes, free training, publish articles and present at conferences. Lastly it involved being a clearing house for indigenous relationships, books, events, speakers, policies, government research findings, etc. The hardest part of the job was being sole departmental support while other departments had 2-3 support staff managing the departmental office.
Pros
high level performance was recognized and appreciated
Cons
no increased funding to the dept

4.3