University of Saskatchewan

University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
working in academic environment was very gratifying and stimulating
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: high level performance was recognized and appreciated
Cons: no increased funding to the dept
My typical day of work involved meeting the public which is predominantly students, faculty, dept heads and other campus staff, answering phones, using the PAWS banner system, the UniFi accounting system, the extension delivery department, interdepartmental relationships such as College of Education, College of Arts and Science, the Office of the President aboriginal initiatives and the Aboriginal Students Centre for Student Services. My role was to manage classlists, book lists, posting schedules, order stationary, take bulk print jobs for printing, doing class evaluations, sit on campus committees, organize public speaking events with local, national and international scholars. There was also opportunity to take classes, free training, publish articles and present at conferences. Lastly it involved being a clearing house for indigenous relationships, books, events, speakers, policies, government research findings, etc. The hardest part of the job was being sole departmental support while other departments had 2-3 support staff managing the departmental office.
A typical day
University Wrestling Coach (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: its the sport world
Cons: extensive
Typical day of work:
- getting ready in the morning, review messages, outline the plan for the day.
-Outline the plan is something I learned so your prepared but also be ready for changes.
- Management and co-works. Check in with superiors. If the co-workers are directly working with me, make sure we are on the same page moving forward.
- Hardest part of the job is political meetings such as AGM's.
- Most enjoyable is working with the athletes and competition
A good and conducive environment to work.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMay 4, 2014
Pros: availability of all equipment needed.
Cons: working alone
A typical day of work starts with checking all the equipment and setting up the laboratory for the day's experiment. Obtaining research data and analysing the data forms part of the most exciting part of my job. However, working until the late hours is something that happens on daily basis. This is because once a particular experiment is started, such must be completed before equipment are shut down.
Energetic and passionate about serving students and faculty
Program and Project Management (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKOctober 11, 2014
Pros: strong leadership skills
Cons: budgets are always tight
The atmosphere is very refreshing with so much energy in the air by the new students each year. The facilities and grounds are lovely and always provide a calming environment for staff and students.

Management is very strong in leadership skills and look out for the best interest of their staff.

Highly recommend working at the University of Saskatchewan.
enjoyable work and after work activities
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKNovember 28, 2012
Pros: pot luck
Cons: long weekend
HPLC, LC-MS/MS, Extraction ( Liquid/Liquid, SPE ).
Happy with problem was solved.
Be glad to work with co-workers.
The most hardest part of the job is sometimes LC-MS/MS experiments cannot repeat due to lots of people using quite different mobile phase.
The most enjoyable part of the job is I can planning my day work according to my proffessor's ideas.
The most enjoyable activities are playing table tennis and bedminton after work.
expanded my knowledge base and allowed me to learn not only about my own culture but cultures from around the world
Teaching Assistant - Native Studies Department (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SaskatchewanSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: achieved a university level education
Cons: pay not enough to live on.
Lead weekly seminars and discuss Native Issues as they pertain to Native peoples, while examing the contribution Aboriginals have made to thier own development and history. Examine how Aboriginal people situate themselves in both rural and urban settings.
Chanllenging place but with a lot of fun
Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 22, 2014
A great place for academic enhancement. Being an Teaching Assistant is a great way of practice public speaking skills and communicating with individuals.

I love to work with my professors,classmates and students. The most enjoyable part of the job is as the expression of "learning by doing" that as a Teaching Assistant I need to answer all kinds of students emails. This enhanced my skills of independently study.
The work was fulfiling which gives me the access to student related issues and concern
Student Crew worker (Former Employee), saskatoon, saskatchewanApril 20, 2012
Pros: free meal
Cons: considerable amount of hours for student
The job improved my education-communication skills and opportunity to work with fellow students that are ready to work and following the rules and regulation policy of the job.
I have no encounter of hardship in the job as it was all fun working with students
great co workers
Support Group worker (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: get pay
Cons: don't get me started
lots of hard work for low to moderate pay
good place to learn
great co-workers and characters
the hardest part is to watch how the administration group is growing in numbers - and letting go of the actual workers to replace them with MORE ADMIN STAFF. HEAVY AT THE TOP!!! waiting for the CRASH or to be laid off.
the best part of my job is the people I get to work with
Working with smart people in dynamic enviroment
Research and teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKNovember 20, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: office in basement without windows for 4 years
Working on challenging projects
great team work and friendship with my Colleagues.
Supportive supervisor with great advises
learning critical skills such as time management, multi-tasking ability and focus on one problem at the time.
Great university and fun staff
Research Technician (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Great staff and good working environment
Cons: Low salary
It is a good work environment for new graduates. It is not only a place you can learn and grow, but also a place you can explore you potential. With nice and friendly people around, you are not afraid of asking questions, looking for kindly advice. People there are always patient to help.
Alright place to work
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no room for advancement
The University was a alright place to work. My typical day at work would be clearing off snow from sidewalks. My co-workers were very good to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to get all the areas done. There were a lot of priorities when working at the University but not enough guys to help.
politically toxic
Nobody in particular (Former Employee), SaskatoonApril 4, 2013
Pros: good vacation for employees; decent work-life balance
Cons: toxic political mess; hierarchical
not a great place. They strive to be at the 50th percentile in terms of salary. Very hierarchical in structure. With the budget cuts, not much in terms of job security, and not much vision or leadership from senior management.
Group member (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 1, 2016
Participating in group projects for numerous classes at the U of S can be challenging since it is hard to coordinate people's schedules and everyone is very busy. This year I have been involved with many group projects and it has really help me grow and to appreciate working in a team environment, as well as individually.
Good experience and challenging
CE495 4th Year Design Project Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKNovember 20, 2014
I get to lead my final year design group for our year long project. It was both challenging and valuable experience to have to plan the schedule, set up meetings, keep everyone on track and try and help everyone to their best potential.
Working with data and customers not always fun, but at the end it worth it because one can learn a lot on how to come up with solution to the problem
Research Assistant (Former Employee), University of SaskatchewanMarch 26, 2013
I like my job because it challenging and to have the ability to come up with solution is great feel. Have fun with supervisors and co-workers.
fun
parking volunteer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMay 15, 2012
Pros: cheap coffee
Cons: 2 coffee breaks and a lunch break
a typical day at work is usually tiring but very enjoyable.you learn alot from the people you work with the hardest part of the job is when the sun is at its peak and you have to work and most enjoyable part of the job is when i get paid.
Big Campus (compared to my previous Uni.)
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 17, 2013
Pros: work permit after graduation
Cons: too cold to go outside
Stay inside and take the temptation of going outside even when it is sunny. Saskatoon is a very cold place. The temperature can go below -50. Otherwise, it is a fun place to study in.
fun place to work in
Research Assistant / Assitant project manager (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 4, 2014
Pros: breaks
Cons: long hours
• Assessing various literature database and rigorous management in various software e.g Rev man, EndNote, Excel
• Co-ordination of project activities
• Communications officer for Research team
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKSeptember 30, 2015
The university communitty is so big and there is always something going on that you can get involved in. The size might make it impersonal but with the right work ethic, you will stand out, and will be rewarded accordingly