University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2016
I enjoy working at the university of Ottawa, it helps me build new skills and learn new things in the civil engineering field. Working in the lab with the PHD students, and as part of the team I helped in the testing and with the analysis of data on different projects. I gathered and analysed information and provided feedback to the professor. I also helped in the translation from English to French of the course material for a new class.
Access control and ensuring safety
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 17, 2016
Access control and enforcing the safe usage of the entire facility. Ensuring the proper cleaning and sanitation of the facility. Customer service representative on behalf of the entire university.
Good pay, bad admin
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 10, 2016
Old equipment and at times an incompetent administration somewhat overshadow the fact that you get paid 40$+ an hour.

The structures lab is in dire need of new equipment and an overall increase in size.
Productive workplace environment
Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of OttawaJuly 6, 2016
Working at the University of Ottawa was an amazing experience and everyday was different. I had the opportunity to meet different people with different needs, to help them succeed in the courses or in their teaching. Overall, my team were amazing and very fun to work with. I've learned that simple demands for you could make a big difference in their learning.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
short hours
enriching and rewarding job
Student-Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 15, 2016
Interview and advise adult students by providing support. Guide them to the appropriate services for their needs. Develop working and learning aids.
Pros
Feeling really helpfull
Cons
In a sub-sub-basement without windows
wsp clerk positions are enough to get you through the year
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 8, 2016
wsp position at one of the various libraries was enough to keep me in school, nice supplement income. Unfortunately wsp only allows max 10 hours per week, making it difficult to use this as sole income.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
sometimes late hours, max 10/week
Great job for students
Corrector (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2016
Great job as a student. Flexible hours and pay is pretty descent. Correcting is easy, you are usually provided with a corrections guide or instructions.
Fun workplace with expert managerial staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
With good salaries is ever supporting staff, UOttawa is one of the best places to work as a fresh graduate or student. Typically work hours of 3 hours which includes teaching undergrad students regarding their respective courses. Supervisors support you at all times which makes the work more easier. Grading and help sessions take very long depending on the course. Overall best way to earn and at the same time interact with huge crowd which increases one's professional network.
Pros
Excellent Salary, with supportive staff and managerial personal
Cons
As a contract employee, job is not secure.
Good workmates
C/C++ Network Developer at Faculty of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
My supervisor teaches me a lot of knowledge, I am used to work in the different culture, because I am from China. I love the work environment.
Productive Workplace
Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
I am working with a team of 4 at the University of Ottawa on a project to design an IOT (Internet of Things) architecture for Fleet Management System. We are working in a lab sponsored by Bell Canada and the hardware involved in the project is Intel's Edison Board sponsored by Wind River System(An Intel Company).

It's been a pleasure to work at the University of Ottawa. Our professor is also helpful and he provided us with every resource we need for the project.
Large employer, so many opportunities
Joint Health and Safety Committee Inspector (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 29, 2016
I have had nothing but good experiences with the University. I have studied there, then started working for them. The benefits are great, and there are plenty of advancement opportunities. They offer competitive pay and offer free classes and training. I've had a positive experience through all of this.
Cuting-edge research
Research Assisstant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2016
I did my 2nd PhD in geotechnical engineering at University of Ottawa for more than 4 years. During the PhD study, I got valuable and unlimited support for uOttawa. The profs are nice and very supportive for my nice. I love this place.
Great place to work! Conveniently located right on campus!
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2016
Great opportunity to work with students who are in different disciplines! The beginning of the Fall semester is always somewhat hectic because of Orientation Day presentations and other important events but after that it is just the greatest... you get to meet new students and help them with finding a class, registering for a class or abandoning one, providing effective reading and study strategies, helping with procrastination/motivation, time management and stress management. Not physically demanding at all... It only requires that you figure out how to balance your school life, social life and 'work life' (although it is only 10 hours per week!)
Pros
Located on the university campus, allows you to do coursework when the Centre is not busy
Cons
During exams and assignment periods, the Centre can be quite hectic
Very fun place to work
Makermobile Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2016
Assist in workshops to teach students different technologies available at the Makermobile. I learned patience and effective time management skills. The team was great and very accommodating. I like the smile on the students face when they realize they learnt something new.
Teaching and Learning
Sessional professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2016
Students are our main focus when working as a Professor. The most enjoyable and difficult aspect of the job is working one on one with students since I always seek to answer all their questions to their satisfaction.
Again?
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
I've already written one review for this summer position, why do I have to write a second? Note to reviewers: you should make this section optional, and give prospective users a chance to skip it. On the one hand, you accumulate more data by not doing that, but on the other (more important hand), you bias the data you receive by taking in reviews from people that don't feel like writing them. This one really shouldn't get through, so it's just a drain on your resources.
Rewarding Work
Teaching Assistant, Managerial Accounting (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
Led discussion and problem solving to further help student's understanding of class material. Really enjoyed my time as a Teaching Assistant and the work was self-motivating.
Educational Excellency
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 2, 2016
I love the academic setting as a work environment as it reflects most of the skills I have acquired over time : excellence of work in a context of self discipline and self reliance, as supervision is very low and more of a peer dynamic than a boss/employer one and demands of excellency in work product is very high.
Pros
Self-determined schedule
Cons
Moments of high output are very intense
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
You work only 10 hours a week. The pay is really good, and the supervisors are great. I don't know for the other departments, but in Science you will probably have to grade close to 100 reports every 2 weeks, so time management is important.
Pros
Great pay for only 10 hours
Cons
You have to re-apply every semester, as they select TAs only based on their current needs.
Outstanding organization to expand your career
Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Truly a bilingual environment
Opportunity to learn about the higher education enviroment
Excellent collegues
Alumni of of the U of O Law school, have gone on to great leadership roles in Ottawa and beyond.

4.4