University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

It was productive, good exposure
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2016
It was good experience, different environment and good learning. It was challenging too but some things have to b challenging in order to gain experience. Good working environment overall
Cons
A bilingual, dynamic university.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
If you are willing to learn, and to experience new challenges daily, University of Ottawa will help you in your career path by preparing you academically and practically.
Good
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Really depends who you work for, and if it is administrative or research position.
It can be flexible, but sometimes work on weekends is expected.
No benefits and average compensation.
Learned a lot
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2016
interesting people and interesting job. salary is the best part. 3 hours lab and 1 hour office hour each week. The students tend to be cranky at times, But that's ok
Vibrant city; interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2016
Generally, the university has a fun and vibrant student life. Many research departments appear to have an interest in developing scientific research and productivity. A word to the wise who are pursuing research: choose your lab membership very carefully and not just based on name/status. Stories about lack of professional and ethical behavior have come up during my time working there.
Pros
Festivals every now and then in the city
Cons
Ottawa can be very dry and cold
nice
Computing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Technical Support: Provides first-level technical support services to address the needs of clients in a networked environment. Analyzes, isolates, debugs and solves problems by providing corrective action to technical problems (both hardware and software) over the phone.
smoothly run and productive workspace, all situations controlled without issue.
Life guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
A typical day at work goes quickly and everyone seems confident in handling any situation that may arise. Most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of team you are involved in.
productive and fun place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2016
I enjoy working at the university of Ottawa, it helps me build new skills and learn new things in the civil engineering field. Working in the lab with the PHD students, and as part of the team I helped in the testing and with the analysis of data on different projects. I gathered and analysed information and provided feedback to the professor. I also helped in the translation from English to French of the course material for a new class.
Access control and ensuring safety
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
Access control and enforcing the safe usage of the entire facility. Ensuring the proper cleaning and sanitation of the facility. Customer service representative on behalf of the entire university.
Good pay, bad admin
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2016
Old equipment and at times an incompetent administration somewhat overshadow the fact that you get paid 40$+ an hour.

The structures lab is in dire need of new equipment and an overall increase in size.
Productive workplace environment
Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Ottawa6 July 2016
Working at the University of Ottawa was an amazing experience and everyday was different. I had the opportunity to meet different people with different needs, to help them succeed in the courses or in their teaching. Overall, my team were amazing and very fun to work with. I've learned that simple demands for you could make a big difference in their learning.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
short hours
enriching and rewarding job
Student-Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 June 2016
Interview and advise adult students by providing support. Guide them to the appropriate services for their needs. Develop working and learning aids.
Pros
Feeling really helpfull
Cons
In a sub-sub-basement without windows
wsp clerk positions are enough to get you through the year
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2016
wsp position at one of the various libraries was enough to keep me in school, nice supplement income. Unfortunately wsp only allows max 10 hours per week, making it difficult to use this as sole income.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
sometimes late hours, max 10/week
Great job for students
Corrector (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
Great job as a student. Flexible hours and pay is pretty descent. Correcting is easy, you are usually provided with a corrections guide or instructions.
Fun workplace with expert managerial staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
With good salaries is ever supporting staff, UOttawa is one of the best places to work as a fresh graduate or student. Typically work hours of 3 hours which includes teaching undergrad students regarding their respective courses. Supervisors support you at all times which makes the work more easier. Grading and help sessions take very long depending on the course. Overall best way to earn and at the same time interact with huge crowd which increases one's professional network.
Pros
Excellent Salary, with supportive staff and managerial personal
Cons
As a contract employee, job is not secure.
Good workmates
C/C++ Network Developer at Faculty of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
My supervisor teaches me a lot of knowledge, I am used to work in the different culture, because I am from China. I love the work environment.
Productive Workplace
Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
I am working with a team of 4 at the University of Ottawa on a project to design an IOT (Internet of Things) architecture for Fleet Management System. We are working in a lab sponsored by Bell Canada and the hardware involved in the project is Intel's Edison Board sponsored by Wind River System(An Intel Company).

It's been a pleasure to work at the University of Ottawa. Our professor is also helpful and he provided us with every resource we need for the project.
Large employer, so many opportunities
Joint Health and Safety Committee Inspector (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2016
I have had nothing but good experiences with the University. I have studied there, then started working for them. The benefits are great, and there are plenty of advancement opportunities. They offer competitive pay and offer free classes and training. I've had a positive experience through all of this.
Cuting-edge research
Research Assisstant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2016
I did my 2nd PhD in geotechnical engineering at University of Ottawa for more than 4 years. During the PhD study, I got valuable and unlimited support for uOttawa. The profs are nice and very supportive for my nice. I love this place.
Great place to work! Conveniently located right on campus!
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2016
Great opportunity to work with students who are in different disciplines! The beginning of the Fall semester is always somewhat hectic because of Orientation Day presentations and other important events but after that it is just the greatest... you get to meet new students and help them with finding a class, registering for a class or abandoning one, providing effective reading and study strategies, helping with procrastination/motivation, time management and stress management. Not physically demanding at all... It only requires that you figure out how to balance your school life, social life and 'work life' (although it is only 10 hours per week!)
Pros
Located on the university campus, allows you to do coursework when the Centre is not busy
Cons
During exams and assignment periods, the Centre can be quite hectic

4.3