University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly environment promoting learning research
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Working with students is always en enriching experience because, although I went in to pass on knowledge, I also tended to learn from them as their contributed to the weekly discussions.
The position helped me hone my leadership skills by moderating and encouraging productive debates on business case studies in the area of corporate culture and management. I shared my experience with co-TAs and learned from my predecessors. It was exciting to meet and help students achieve a good comprehension of their courses, but it was also challenging in that conflicts could arise anytime.
Great team environment and caring bosses
Head Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 30, 2015
I wouldn't be able to imagine my university career without working on the Student Ambassador team for the University of Ottawa. It is a job where not only did I genuinely enjoy the work I was doing, but I felt I was making a difference and helping prospective students to make difficult decisions about their own future. The work environment set the tone and my co-workers were always there to support me if I needed it.
Great place to work! Conveniently located right on campus!
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2016
Great opportunity to work with students who are in different disciplines! The beginning of the Fall semester is always somewhat hectic because of Orientation Day presentations and other important events but after that it is just the greatest... you get to meet new students and help them with finding a class, registering for a class or abandoning one, providing effective reading and study strategies, helping with procrastination/motivation, time management and stress management. Not physically demanding at all... It only requires that you figure out how to balance your school life, social life and 'work life' (although it is only 10 hours per week!)
Pros
Located on the university campus, allows you to do coursework when the Centre is not busy
Cons
During exams and assignment periods, the Centre can be quite hectic
NIIT Technologies is a complete dissatisfaction
Software Developer (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2015
Exploits recent graduates
Pays almost negligible salary
Expects a lot from each employee to stay back for long hours and working weekends which are unpaid.
Pros
Team building excercises
Cons
long unpaid hours
I am a highly motivated, creative individual who works well independently.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
I can work 5 days a week with full time. I have many experiences for entire cell biology regarding to specific knowledge and techniques. I have also had experiences mentoring and training technicians and undergraduate students with research skills. On a personal level, finding enough time to spend with my family and friends is the hardest part of my job.
I am really excited to continue working in the fields of biological science fields, but also I look forward to expanding my scientific knowledge and skill set to encompass the research areas.
Again?
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
I've already written one review for this summer position, why do I have to write a second? Note to reviewers: you should make this section optional, and give prospective users a chance to skip it. On the one hand, you accumulate more data by not doing that, but on the other (more important hand), you bias the data you receive by taking in reviews from people that don't feel like writing them. This one really shouldn't get through, so it's just a drain on your resources.
Diversity, Full of Energy.
International Affairs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2016
A good work place for a French- English bilingual employee. Limited opportunities for non-bilingual speaker.
-The most enjoyable part is the University environment. You are working for the energetic young talents.
-The hardest part of the job is that you will always be in an awkward situation if you don't speak French.
Pros
Capital's University
Cons
French required. Limited opportunities.
Educational Excellency
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 2, 2016
I love the academic setting as a work environment as it reflects most of the skills I have acquired over time : excellence of work in a context of self discipline and self reliance, as supervision is very low and more of a peer dynamic than a boss/employer one and demands of excellency in work product is very high.
Pros
Self-determined schedule
Cons
Moments of high output are very intense
Creative environment pushing my limits
Communication, marketing assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
I was able to grow as a communication assistant during my work at the University of Ottawa. Management gave me a lot of liberty, and I was able to manage most of the day to day communications: social media, website, emails, as well as phone calls. I learned great organisation skills as well as deadline management. My creativity was very useful, and I was given a lot of liberty on social media content, even developing memes for a code fo conduct.
conducive and well realxing workplace suitable for students with school work on the side
Community protection supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 1, 2016
For me, shift usually begins around mid-day as my schedule becomes less chocked up at that time. for the most part, the job gets really active after sunset as people begin to head home and would need assistance getting to areas of town which had really low security. our job was to ensure their safety as we walk with them to their various destinations. By we, I mean myself and whomever was available for shift that day as we work in pairs of two. It was important that we built a strong and reasonable relationship with the co-workers as this helped to build a more conducive working environment. I was able to experience and learn quite a few things being exposed to this job. Reliability and trust was an important virtue bestowed upon me as a result of this job, that was i was able to communicate better, rely on my instinct and so on. The hardest part of the work was having to leave an assignment in progress to go assist someone with security needs but i knew what i signed up for and the price I had to pay. Besides that, it was a lovely and fun working environment which was also conducive for studying as well. A perfect fit for a part time worker
Pros
security clearance of school
Cons
late hours
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
You work only 10 hours a week. The pay is really good, and the supervisors are great. I don't know for the other departments, but in Science you will probably have to grade close to 100 reports every 2 weeks, so time management is important.
Pros
Great pay for only 10 hours
Cons
You have to re-apply every semester, as they select TAs only based on their current needs.
Very fun place to work
Makermobile Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2016
Assist in workshops to teach students different technologies available at the Makermobile. I learned patience and effective time management skills. The team was great and very accommodating. I like the smile on the students face when they realize they learnt something new.
Continuously evolving work environment with continuous learning
Volunteer Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 4, 2016
In working as a research volunteer I perform a wide variety of tasks from paper work, to paperwork sorting, to transcript recording and coding, to interaction with and testing with families, both parents and children.

In having so many parts to the job, it is fun to do so many different things and see how they all work together to get us to the final product.
Productive and academic environment
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
The English Intensive Program at Ottawa University enjoys a productive and academic environment where collaboration, cooperation and team work are emphasized for the purpose of enhancing the students' academic skills in English language.
Outstanding organization to expand your career
Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Truly a bilingual environment
Opportunity to learn about the higher education enviroment
Excellent collegues
Alumni of of the U of O Law school, have gone on to great leadership roles in Ottawa and beyond.
Teaching and Learning
Sessional professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2016
Students are our main focus when working as a Professor. The most enjoyable and difficult aspect of the job is working one on one with students since I always seek to answer all their questions to their satisfaction.
Rewarding Work
Teaching Assistant, Managerial Accounting (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
Led discussion and problem solving to further help student's understanding of class material. Really enjoyed my time as a Teaching Assistant and the work was self-motivating.
productive and organized
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
You honestly can't ask for a better job. Everyone needs to work for UOTTAWA. If you're thinking about applying; stop thinking and apply.
Fun environment with like-minded students
Application & Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Started with coffee and a quick discussion on what we'll be working on to keep everyone in the loop. We learned different programming languages and techniques to tackle a problem.
Summer Student (2 casual terms)
Summer student - Mail distribution, receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Work in the residence as a secretary, distributed the mails, meet and greet people visiting, answering telephone in bilingual manner, took messages for students.
Pros
enjoyed meeting students
Cons
night shift

4.4