University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Large employer, so many opportunities
Joint Health and Safety Committee Inspector (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2016
I have had nothing but good experiences with the University. I have studied there, then started working for them. The benefits are great, and there are plenty of advancement opportunities. They offer competitive pay and offer free classes and training. I've had a positive experience through all of this.
Great place to work! Conveniently located right on campus!
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2016
Great opportunity to work with students who are in different disciplines! The beginning of the Fall semester is always somewhat hectic because of Orientation Day presentations and other important events but after that it is just the greatest... you get to meet new students and help them with finding a class, registering for a class or abandoning one, providing effective reading and study strategies, helping with procrastination/motivation, time management and stress management. Not physically demanding at all... It only requires that you figure out how to balance your school life, social life and 'work life' (although it is only 10 hours per week!)
Pros
Located on the university campus, allows you to do coursework when the Centre is not busy
Cons
During exams and assignment periods, the Centre can be quite hectic
Friendly environment promoting learning research
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2016
Working with students is always en enriching experience because, although I went in to pass on knowledge, I also tended to learn from them as their contributed to the weekly discussions.
The position helped me hone my leadership skills by moderating and encouraging productive debates on business case studies in the area of corporate culture and management. I shared my experience with co-TAs and learned from my predecessors. It was exciting to meet and help students achieve a good comprehension of their courses, but it was also challenging in that conflicts could arise anytime.
Fun workplace with expert managerial staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
With good salaries is ever supporting staff, UOttawa is one of the best places to work as a fresh graduate or student. Typically work hours of 3 hours which includes teaching undergrad students regarding their respective courses. Supervisors support you at all times which makes the work more easier. Grading and help sessions take very long depending on the course. Overall best way to earn and at the same time interact with huge crowd which increases one's professional network.
Pros
Excellent Salary, with supportive staff and managerial personal
Cons
As a contract employee, job is not secure.
Productive Workplace
Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
I am working with a team of 4 at the University of Ottawa on a project to design an IOT (Internet of Things) architecture for Fleet Management System. We are working in a lab sponsored by Bell Canada and the hardware involved in the project is Intel's Edison Board sponsored by Wind River System(An Intel Company).

It's been a pleasure to work at the University of Ottawa. Our professor is also helpful and he provided us with every resource we need for the project.
Vibrant city; interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2016
Generally, the university has a fun and vibrant student life. Many research departments appear to have an interest in developing scientific research and productivity. A word to the wise who are pursuing research: choose your lab membership very carefully and not just based on name/status. Stories about lack of professional and ethical behavior have come up during my time working there.
Pros
Festivals every now and then in the city
Cons
Ottawa can be very dry and cold
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 April 2016
You work only 10 hours a week. The pay is really good, and the supervisors are great. I don't know for the other departments, but in Science you will probably have to grade close to 100 reports every 2 weeks, so time management is important.
Pros
Great pay for only 10 hours
Cons
You have to re-apply every semester, as they select TAs only based on their current needs.
productive and fun place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2016
I enjoy working at the university of Ottawa, it helps me build new skills and learn new things in the civil engineering field. Working in the lab with the PHD students, and as part of the team I helped in the testing and with the analysis of data on different projects. I gathered and analysed information and provided feedback to the professor. I also helped in the translation from English to French of the course material for a new class.
Good workmates
C/C++ Network Developer at Faculty of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
My supervisor teaches me a lot of knowledge, I am used to work in the different culture, because I am from China. I love the work environment.
Very fun place to work
Makermobile Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2016
Assist in workshops to teach students different technologies available at the Makermobile. I learned patience and effective time management skills. The team was great and very accommodating. I like the smile on the students face when they realize they learnt something new.
smoothly run and productive workspace, all situations controlled without issue.
Life guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
A typical day at work goes quickly and everyone seems confident in handling any situation that may arise. Most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of team you are involved in.
nice
Computing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Technical Support: Provides first-level technical support services to address the needs of clients in a networked environment. Analyzes, isolates, debugs and solves problems by providing corrective action to technical problems (both hardware and software) over the phone.
Productive workplace environment
Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Ottawa6 July 2016
Working at the University of Ottawa was an amazing experience and everyday was different. I had the opportunity to meet different people with different needs, to help them succeed in the courses or in their teaching. Overall, my team were amazing and very fun to work with. I've learned that simple demands for you could make a big difference in their learning.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
short hours
wsp clerk positions are enough to get you through the year
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2016
wsp position at one of the various libraries was enough to keep me in school, nice supplement income. Unfortunately wsp only allows max 10 hours per week, making it difficult to use this as sole income.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
sometimes late hours, max 10/week
Access control and ensuring safety
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
Access control and enforcing the safe usage of the entire facility. Ensuring the proper cleaning and sanitation of the facility. Customer service representative on behalf of the entire university.
Good pay, bad admin
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2016
Old equipment and at times an incompetent administration somewhat overshadow the fact that you get paid 40$+ an hour.

The structures lab is in dire need of new equipment and an overall increase in size.
Again?
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2016
I've already written one review for this summer position, why do I have to write a second? Note to reviewers: you should make this section optional, and give prospective users a chance to skip it. On the one hand, you accumulate more data by not doing that, but on the other (more important hand), you bias the data you receive by taking in reviews from people that don't feel like writing them. This one really shouldn't get through, so it's just a drain on your resources.
Great team environment and caring bosses
Head Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2015
I wouldn't be able to imagine my university career without working on the Student Ambassador team for the University of Ottawa. It is a job where not only did I genuinely enjoy the work I was doing, but I felt I was making a difference and helping prospective students to make difficult decisions about their own future. The work environment set the tone and my co-workers were always there to support me if I needed it.
Educational Excellency
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2016
I love the academic setting as a work environment as it reflects most of the skills I have acquired over time : excellence of work in a context of self discipline and self reliance, as supervision is very low and more of a peer dynamic than a boss/employer one and demands of excellency in work product is very high.
Pros
Self-determined schedule
Cons
Moments of high output are very intense
I am a highly motivated, creative individual who works well independently.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2016
I can work 5 days a week with full time. I have many experiences for entire cell biology regarding to specific knowledge and techniques. I have also had experiences mentoring and training technicians and undergraduate students with research skills. On a personal level, finding enough time to spend with my family and friends is the hardest part of my job.
I am really excited to continue working in the fields of biological science fields, but also I look forward to expanding my scientific knowledge and skill set to encompass the research areas.

4.4