University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Outstanding organization to expand your career
Alumni Relations (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Truly a bilingual environment
Opportunity to learn about the higher education enviroment
Excellent collegues
Alumni of of the U of O Law school, have gone on to great leadership roles in Ottawa and beyond.
conducive and well realxing workplace suitable for students with school work on the side
Community protection supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: security clearance of school
Cons: late hours
For me, shift usually begins around mid-day as my schedule becomes less chocked up at that time. for the most part, the job gets really active after sunset as people begin to head home and would need assistance getting to areas of town which had really low security. our job was to ensure their safety as we walk with them to their various destinations. By we, I mean myself and whomever was available for shift that day as we work in pairs of two. It was important that we built a strong and reasonable relationship with the co-workers as this helped to build a more conducive working environment. I was able to experience and learn quite a few things being exposed to this job. Reliability and trust was an important virtue bestowed upon me as a result of this job, that was i was able to communicate better, rely on my instinct and so on. The hardest part of the work was having to leave an assignment in progress to go assist someone with security needs but i knew what i signed up for and the price I had to pay. Besides that, it was a lovely and fun working environment which was also conducive for studying as well. A perfect fit for a part time worker
Productive and academic environment
Language Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
The English Intensive Program at Ottawa University enjoys a productive and academic environment where collaboration, cooperation and team work are emphasized for the purpose of enhancing the students' academic skills in English language.
Diversity, Full of Energy.
International Affairs Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2016
Pros: Capital's University
Cons: French required. Limited opportunities.
A good work place for a French- English bilingual employee. Limited opportunities for non-bilingual speaker.
-The most enjoyable part is the University environment. You are working for the energetic young talents.
-The hardest part of the job is that you will always be in an awkward situation if you don't speak French.
productive and organized
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
You honestly can't ask for a better job. Everyone needs to work for UOTTAWA. If you're thinking about applying; stop thinking and apply.
I am a highly motivated, creative individual who works well independently.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
I can work 5 days a week with full time. I have many experiences for entire cell biology regarding to specific knowledge and techniques. I have also had experiences mentoring and training technicians and undergraduate students with research skills. On a personal level, finding enough time to spend with my family and friends is the hardest part of my job.
I am really excited to continue working in the fields of biological science fields, but also I look forward to expanding my scientific knowledge and skill set to encompass the research areas.
Friendly environment promoting learning research
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Working with students is always en enriching experience because, although I went in to pass on knowledge, I also tended to learn from them as their contributed to the weekly discussions.
The position helped me hone my leadership skills by moderating and encouraging productive debates on business case studies in the area of corporate culture and management. I shared my experience with co-TAs and learned from my predecessors. It was exciting to meet and help students achieve a good comprehension of their courses, but it was also challenging in that conflicts could arise anytime.
Fun environment with like-minded students
Application & Web Developer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Started with coffee and a quick discussion on what we'll be working on to keep everyone in the loop. We learned different programming languages and techniques to tackle a problem.
Summer Student (2 casual terms)
Summer student - Mail distribution, receptionist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: enjoyed meeting students
Cons: night shift
Work in the residence as a secretary, distributed the mails, meet and greet people visiting, answering telephone in bilingual manner, took messages for students.
Continuously evolving work environment with continuous learning
Volunteer Research Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 4, 2016
In working as a research volunteer I perform a wide variety of tasks from paper work, to paperwork sorting, to transcript recording and coding, to interaction with and testing with families, both parents and children.

In having so many parts to the job, it is fun to do so many different things and see how they all work together to get us to the final product.
Great team environment and caring bosses
Head Ambassador (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 30, 2015
I wouldn't be able to imagine my university career without working on the Student Ambassador team for the University of Ottawa. It is a job where not only did I genuinely enjoy the work I was doing, but I felt I was making a difference and helping prospective students to make difficult decisions about their own future. The work environment set the tone and my co-workers were always there to support me if I needed it.
SecCharge Project has been a kick start for my career
Software Developer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
The best part about my project SecCharge in University of Ottawa is that i got an open platform to work as a business analyst,developer,tester,team lead and a manager at the same time.It was a wonderful opportunity to be a part of this project.
fun place to work
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 20, 2015
The work was good. I was doing research toward my master's degree . The people there were fun to work with and very helpful.
NIIT Technologies is a complete dissatisfaction
Software Developer (Intern) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Team building excercises
Cons: long unpaid hours
Exploits recent graduates
Pays almost negligible salary
Expects a lot from each employee to stay back for long hours and working weekends which are unpaid.
j
3rd Cook/Allergy Cook (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 5, 2015
Pros: cheap staff lunches, latest kitchen equipment
i worked there, am still working there and its cool, not too much to say really. except that its big and cool and they go through a lot of food
Laboratory teaching assistant
Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 20, 2015
its always good to be part of a laboratory teaching assistant program while studying, it helps you learn the basic laboratory techniques needed to succeed for the future
amazing office job
Lab monitor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
very respectful environment where i get to work with University of Ottawa professors to use computer programs such as Sanako and RelanPro.
Creative environment pushing my limits
Communication, marketing assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 14, 2015
I was able to grow as a communication assistant during my work at the University of Ottawa. Management gave me a lot of liberty, and I was able to manage most of the day to day communications: social media, website, emails, as well as phone calls. I learned great organisation skills as well as deadline management. My creativity was very useful, and I was given a lot of liberty on social media content, even developing memes for a code fo conduct.
University of Ottawa
Student Academic Success Service (SASS) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Student centric, always evoling
Cons: Students demands cannot always be met
The University of Ottawa is an excellent employer and offers many opportunities in a academic or administrative environment. With over 45,000 students, the Support Staff at the University of Ottawa have many dynamic projects and initiatives that are always changing and evolving.
productive and positive environment
** (Former Employee), **August 31, 2015
Working at PC MasterCard allowed me to gain a lot of customer experience due to the variety of customer calling with different problems, the environment was very pleasant and secure.
Working with irate customers allowed me to work on my patience and on my competence of finding a solution to the customers problems.