University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Fun workplace where you get to interact with younger students.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2017
my typical day starts at a particular day depending on the schedule where i have to book a room for discussion groups and run the discussion groups. I have to help students answer questions and quiz them whenever a quiz is provided from the professor.

What i've learned:
Time management,
The thought process behind Marking papers,
use of Microsoft office to document grades and comments is very useful.

The hardest part of the job is marking papers, as it's time consuming and one must be unbiased when marking the papers and must remember to treat all the students the same in terms of deducting marks.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the students understand the course content and running the discussion group.
Pros
Good pay for the amount of hours you put in
Cons
Time consuming when taking classes as well
Review:
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
Great bilingual campus - working towards a better and more sustainable campus which is very commendable. Variety of classes available for students with various interests.
not a job
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2017
Research is great especially at the OHRI. I was a student so this differs based on the professor you have as your supervisor.
great
Student Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
lot to learn and do during undergraduate studies.
great for academic connection, study skills and health awareness.
great university great professors. hiring policy is quit fair, It is a great student life, and Ottawa itself is nice with many things to do
Pros
free lunch promotions many times
Cons
not long enough due to school obligations
Good opportunities and facilites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2017
Teaching assistant at University of Ottawa is a wonderful experience and hoping to continue to work with same spirit. It is little bit challenging as well as hectic but I am enjoying to the core as I am an opportunist and always seek to grab one to learn new things for my career growth.
Pros
Facilities and study material available at the university
Cons
Little difficult to manage with my Master's studies
Teacher Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2017
I love work in Uottawa, they gave me a lot of opportunities to develop my skills the professor are amazing and the people are willing to help you. I recommend either work or study Uottawa.
Internship
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2017
Good internship with a profesor at the university of ottawa, on in Canada. Was good overall, not payed, gives you some experience that's basically all
Work/Study Program
Assistant to Liaison Officers (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
As I got this job through the work/study program while attending courses at uOttawa my supervisors were very conscientious of my time and were always sure to confirm with me whether or not In would have the time to complete projects they assigned me as well as my course work.
Pros
Make my own schedule, job shadowing
Productive Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 December 2016
Being a TA at uOttawa is a very engaging role. A good place to interact with students and very well paid for the amount of work we put in as well. Overall a very good experience for a Master's student
It was productive, good exposure
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2016
It was good experience, different environment and good learning. It was challenging too but some things have to b challenging in order to gain experience. Good working environment overall
Cons
A bilingual, dynamic university.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
If you are willing to learn, and to experience new challenges daily, University of Ottawa will help you in your career path by preparing you academically and practically.
Good
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Really depends who you work for, and if it is administrative or research position.
It can be flexible, but sometimes work on weekends is expected.
No benefits and average compensation.
Learned a lot
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2016
interesting people and interesting job. salary is the best part. 3 hours lab and 1 hour office hour each week. The students tend to be cranky at times, But that's ok
Vibrant city; interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2016
Generally, the university has a fun and vibrant student life. Many research departments appear to have an interest in developing scientific research and productivity. A word to the wise who are pursuing research: choose your lab membership very carefully and not just based on name/status. Stories about lack of professional and ethical behavior have come up during my time working there.
Pros
Festivals every now and then in the city
Cons
Ottawa can be very dry and cold
nice
Computing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2016
Technical Support: Provides first-level technical support services to address the needs of clients in a networked environment. Analyzes, isolates, debugs and solves problems by providing corrective action to technical problems (both hardware and software) over the phone.
smoothly run and productive workspace, all situations controlled without issue.
Life guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
A typical day at work goes quickly and everyone seems confident in handling any situation that may arise. Most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of team you are involved in.
productive and fun place to work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2016
I enjoy working at the university of Ottawa, it helps me build new skills and learn new things in the civil engineering field. Working in the lab with the PHD students, and as part of the team I helped in the testing and with the analysis of data on different projects. I gathered and analysed information and provided feedback to the professor. I also helped in the translation from English to French of the course material for a new class.
Access control and ensuring safety
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2016
Access control and enforcing the safe usage of the entire facility. Ensuring the proper cleaning and sanitation of the facility. Customer service representative on behalf of the entire university.
Good pay, bad admin
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2016
Old equipment and at times an incompetent administration somewhat overshadow the fact that you get paid 40$+ an hour.

The structures lab is in dire need of new equipment and an overall increase in size.
Productive workplace environment
Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Ottawa6 July 2016
Working at the University of Ottawa was an amazing experience and everyday was different. I had the opportunity to meet different people with different needs, to help them succeed in the courses or in their teaching. Overall, my team were amazing and very fun to work with. I've learned that simple demands for you could make a big difference in their learning.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
short hours

4.3