University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Wonderful and friendly environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2014
University of Ottawa is a great place to study, work and gain experience. I had the chance to work with wonderful colleagues and great supervisors. The university exposed me to a lot of technologies that helped me achieve my full potential in education. The university's management was reasonable in general but could have been improved by providing more – more... training to the new staff. The hardest part of my job was to be consistently aware of all the new technologies and research in my domain. I have really enjoyed working with many exceptional colleagues who were very knowledgeable. – less
Learned a lot things
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2014
As a research assistance, I help my supervisor collect data, prepare questionnaires, and language translating from Mandarin to English as well.
Challeging workplace with high payment
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2014
It is good to work inside university because it pays well. Usually university prefer students works hard and possess sufficient amount professional knowledge.
Research, development, and collaborate in solutions based on information technology.
Guest Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2014
Looking for volunteer job, temporary or part-time in computer science.
Ability to research, development, and collaborate in the creation and implementation of innovative solutions based on information technology.
Skill in Java/Database/Android.
Portuguese language native
English language skill.
Working at the University of Ottawa
Research Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere . easy access by public transit
Cons: management is very chaotic
It was a mix experience. I had the chance to do world class scientific research almost independently. But the management in University is not up to the mark. Due to ignorance of HR personnel:

1. I lived in Canada for a few months without a health insurance!
2. I was denied work permit renewal by CIC
3. I had complications each time my contract was – more... renewed
4. My email account was often disabled due to lack of communication among the university management services

Excellent Machine Shop and electronics Shop

Job Security: poor
Career Advancement: poor

Quality of Scientific Research: Mediocre except a handful. I don't know how they manage the funding! – less
productive workplace and flexible working time
postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee), Ottawa,Ontario,CanadaMay 1, 2014
working at university of Ottawa is enjoyable and you will not meet too much pressure from your supervisor. There are a lot of nice co-workers coming from different countries.
Learning workplace environment, learned new technologies
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2014
Pros: less stressful
Cons: short contract
My position as a Research Assistant provided me opportunity to work directly with a professor on a Image processing project. I learned to program on OpenCV image processing library, QT framework and Android API and platform.

The job require extensive and quick learning of technologies and concepts and I enjoyed learning about augmented reality and – more... its applications. – less
Productive and fun workplace on the basketball court
Basketball Official (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2014
Pros: gym access, shoot-around time
The rules required we conduct ourselves in a professional manner although we are in a playful setting. I learned how to be completely objective when calling fouls & violations as well as how to let the game flow for the enjoyment of all players. Management was stellar as they trained and provided us with constant feedback. My co-workers were the best – more... I could have asked for, generally people studying at uOttawa made building a rapport extremely fun. The hardest part of the job is the constant multitasking. You are required to keep track of time, player fouls all while managing the flow and tempo of the game being played. The most enjoyable part is that I get to be on the basketball court, my home away from home. – less
Follow my retirement looking for continuing in my field.
Coordinator Facilities and Installations. (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2014
Pros: x
Cons: x
I,m pretty open to any job of management.
1. My review and verification all the functional of my residents.

2. I leaned many different experience of live with students on they own personal request.

3.Every meeting we exchange a lot's with my colleague follow project management, renovation, and inspection.

4. Satisfy the clients as soon is possible – more... in a delay of time.

5. Working with a young atmosphere and helping them on there need specially when they are new in this country. – less
Varied.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 9, 2014
Marking exams and occasionally assisting with the teaching depends very much on the specific professor involved.
Good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 17, 2014
Good to work. People are very cordial and helpful. Due to family issues I came back to India.
University of Ottawa
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2014
Pros: high motivation on interesting research
Cons: the pay
Just a research oriented environment. Typical day at work involves working on the research by running simulations and experiments.
Janitorial Summary
Custodian (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2014
Cleaned and sweeped the university campus
Waxed the floors
My manager was very friendly and catered to our needs as an employee
Productive and fun place to work and learn.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
As a teaching assistant for three different courses, i had a lot of exposure which built my confidence.
traffic assistant
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 16, 2014
traffic assistant
traffic police assistant
freshman guide
welcome students
A good place to learn, work, and study
teaching assistantship (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 7, 2014
1- Easy access to academic facilities

2- Flexible and Professional staff

3- Friendly environment
team work, fun workplace
Protection Services patrolman (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: salary, benifits, posibility of advancement
12 hrs shifts where you Patrol,walk,bike patrol, PR and deal with situations as they arise.
PhD program
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 16, 2014
Depends on your supervisor. It really depends on who you work with.
N/A
Research Assistant (MSc Electrical Engineer) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 15, 2014
I was a research assistant working with two supervisors and a post doctoral fellow. I was involved in a project with collaboration of industrial partner. The goal of the project was to analyze the kinematics of the snake-like robot for inspection of confined environment.
Excellent teamwork, Non-Violent Communication Training
Communications and Marketing Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: great feedback
Developed proactive and effective marketing and web communication strategies to promote services
Designed promotional material (e.g. posters, bookmark, brochure, crossword, visuals for the annual report and social media ads)
Improved the office’s visibility by expanding network with student clubs, associations, faculty members and event coordinators
Helped – more... develop/implement/promote online contests at corporate events
Redesigned website using Web 2.0 best practices in alignment with the University’s corporate website to improve usability, accessibility and findability (i.e. search engine optimization and metadata)

Environment: PC/Mac, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Internet research, Gmail, Google sites, and Photoshop – less

1 2 3

About University of Ottawa

The University of Ottawa (uOttawa or U of O or Ottawa U) (French: Université d'Ottawa) is a bilingual public research university – Read more

University of Ottawa Photos