University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Fun workplace where you get to interact with younger students.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2017
my typical day starts at a particular day depending on the schedule where i have to book a room for discussion groups and run the discussion groups. I have to help students answer questions and quiz them whenever a quiz is provided from the professor.

What i've learned:
Time management,
The thought process behind Marking papers,
use of Microsoft office to document grades and comments is very useful.

The hardest part of the job is marking papers, as it's time consuming and one must be unbiased when marking the papers and must remember to treat all the students the same in terms of deducting marks.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the students understand the course content and running the discussion group.
Pros
Good pay for the amount of hours you put in
Cons
Time consuming when taking classes as well
Good opportunities and facilites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2017
Teaching assistant at University of Ottawa is a wonderful experience and hoping to continue to work with same spirit. It is little bit challenging as well as hectic but I am enjoying to the core as I am an opportunist and always seek to grab one to learn new things for my career growth.
Pros
Facilities and study material available at the university
Cons
Little difficult to manage with my Master's studies
Large employer, so many opportunities
Joint Health and Safety Committee Inspector (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2016
I have had nothing but good experiences with the University. I have studied there, then started working for them. The benefits are great, and there are plenty of advancement opportunities. They offer competitive pay and offer free classes and training. I've had a positive experience through all of this.
great
Student Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
lot to learn and do during undergraduate studies.
great for academic connection, study skills and health awareness.
great university great professors. hiring policy is quit fair, It is a great student life, and Ottawa itself is nice with many things to do
Pros
free lunch promotions many times
Cons
not long enough due to school obligations
Great place to work! Conveniently located right on campus!
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2016
Great opportunity to work with students who are in different disciplines! The beginning of the Fall semester is always somewhat hectic because of Orientation Day presentations and other important events but after that it is just the greatest... you get to meet new students and help them with finding a class, registering for a class or abandoning one, providing effective reading and study strategies, helping with procrastination/motivation, time management and stress management. Not physically demanding at all... It only requires that you figure out how to balance your school life, social life and 'work life' (although it is only 10 hours per week!)
Pros
Located on the university campus, allows you to do coursework when the Centre is not busy
Cons
During exams and assignment periods, the Centre can be quite hectic
A bilingual, dynamic university.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
If you are willing to learn, and to experience new challenges daily, University of Ottawa will help you in your career path by preparing you academically and practically.
Good
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2016
Really depends who you work for, and if it is administrative or research position.
It can be flexible, but sometimes work on weekends is expected.
No benefits and average compensation.
Learned a lot
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2016
interesting people and interesting job. salary is the best part. 3 hours lab and 1 hour office hour each week. The students tend to be cranky at times, But that's ok
Vibrant city; interesting workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2016
Generally, the university has a fun and vibrant student life. Many research departments appear to have an interest in developing scientific research and productivity. A word to the wise who are pursuing research: choose your lab membership very carefully and not just based on name/status. Stories about lack of professional and ethical behavior have come up during my time working there.
Pros
Festivals every now and then in the city
Cons
Ottawa can be very dry and cold
Friendly environment promoting learning research
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2016
Working with students is always en enriching experience because, although I went in to pass on knowledge, I also tended to learn from them as their contributed to the weekly discussions.
The position helped me hone my leadership skills by moderating and encouraging productive debates on business case studies in the area of corporate culture and management. I shared my experience with co-TAs and learned from my predecessors. It was exciting to meet and help students achieve a good comprehension of their courses, but it was also challenging in that conflicts could arise anytime.
Fun workplace with expert managerial staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
With good salaries is ever supporting staff, UOttawa is one of the best places to work as a fresh graduate or student. Typically work hours of 3 hours which includes teaching undergrad students regarding their respective courses. Supervisors support you at all times which makes the work more easier. Grading and help sessions take very long depending on the course. Overall best way to earn and at the same time interact with huge crowd which increases one's professional network.
Pros
Excellent Salary, with supportive staff and managerial personal
Cons
As a contract employee, job is not secure.
Work/Study Program
Assistant to Liaison Officers (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
As I got this job through the work/study program while attending courses at uOttawa my supervisors were very conscientious of my time and were always sure to confirm with me whether or not In would have the time to complete projects they assigned me as well as my course work.
Pros
Make my own schedule, job shadowing
Teacher Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2017
I love work in Uottawa, they gave me a lot of opportunities to develop my skills the professor are amazing and the people are willing to help you. I recommend either work or study Uottawa.
Good University with long history
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Canada5 March 2017
Good University with long history. Study, work and life were balanced. Professors were nice and easily contacted for questions.
Pros
Study, work and life were balanced
Cons
facilities were not very modern
It was productive, good exposure
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2016
It was good experience, different environment and good learning. It was challenging too but some things have to b challenging in order to gain experience. Good working environment overall
Productive Workplace
Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
I am working with a team of 4 at the University of Ottawa on a project to design an IOT (Internet of Things) architecture for Fleet Management System. We are working in a lab sponsored by Bell Canada and the hardware involved in the project is Intel's Edison Board sponsored by Wind River System(An Intel Company).

It's been a pleasure to work at the University of Ottawa. Our professor is also helpful and he provided us with every resource we need for the project.
Easy Work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2017
Worked as a Teaching Assistant. Never met in person with my boss. Not a lot of structure or feedback on my work. Felt unclear if I was doing my work well or even correctly.
Pros
Good pay
Reasonable amount of work for a full time students
Mentor at The Workshop (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
As a mentor, I had the opportunity to help other students and strengthen my understanding of the topics I tutored. A reasonable amount of work as a full-time student.
Internship
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2017
Good internship with a profesor at the university of ottawa, on in Canada. Was good overall, not payed, gives you some experience that's basically all
Review:
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
Great bilingual campus - working towards a better and more sustainable campus which is very commendable. Variety of classes available for students with various interests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3