University of Ontario Institute of Technology

University of Ontario Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Professional environment
Research Practicum Student (Former Employee), Oshawa,ONMay 10, 2015
UOIT is a great university that allows for greater chance of research experience. They take pride in their students and in their academic program.
Tedious work but good job to balance school and work life
Conversion Caller (Former Employee), Oshawa, OntarioApril 28, 2015
As a conversion caller, most of the work hours consisted of calling hundreds of students to inform them on the opportunities at UOIT. While some conversations were enlightening the majority of the tasks were tedious but the great hours allowed me to balance school work while making money. Since it was contracted work for a few months there is no opportunity to advance.
A great learning and growing experience
Capstone Project - Autonomous Roof Nailing Robot (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2015
As a student getting my bachelors at UOIT, I find that I was fortunate enough to be a part of numerous projects that helped me tremendously in developing core design and engineering skills but also drive my mind set into working in a multidisciplinary team.
Excellent institution for higher education.
Under-graduate student (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 24, 2015
UOIT is an amazing place where students can study and explore various opportunities which can lend them good jobs to become successful in life.
Great team to work with, very accommodating and schedule flexibility.
Student Services Representative (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 19, 2014
Provided front line service to students, staff, advisors, and other stakeholders.
Fun atmosphere followed by discipline
Researcher at Clean Energy Research Lab. (CERL) (Current Employee), OshawaAugust 8, 2014
Pros: comfortable office
Cons: hvac system
At UOIT especially at Clean Energy Research lab. (CERL) energetic atmosphere dominates work procedure. Projects are defined from industry and are conducted in CERL. As part of the disciplined work schedule, all employees can perform as their best.
Learning Outcomes
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 7, 2014
This was a position that I got while a final year student at university. I was able to learn about the different aspects of imparting my knowledge to fellow students.
Excellent place to work
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 21, 2014
Exposure to various levels of staff, academic professionals and community stakeholders.
great place to work
dealing with students
students succeeding
Great School, Great Teachers, Technologically Advanced
Engineering Student (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch provided by administration, excellent lab facilities, encouraging faculty members
Cons: occasional long hours, 4 of 5 days a week (8am - 10pm)
I go to school everyday, where classes run from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm depending on the scheduling of the courses you are registered for. I gained the knowledge on the fundamentals of engineering, and project management, as well as various other soft skills. Other students at the university are easy to get along with, and are eager to help each other to pursue higher goals. The hardest part of going to this school is the 40 minute commute each morning, and occasionally the lack of study spaces. The most enjoyable part of attending this university is the student life and culture of the various people I have encountered throughout my education.
Professional environment that allows for innovation to blossom
Research Assistant & Game Developer, (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 13, 2014
Pros: great people and mentorship
Cons: long hours
I worked under a number of professors creating digital content and designing video games.

The atmosphere was professional in terms of deadlines and objectives, but implementation and design was much more free forming allowing for me as a designer to create some great products that were fun and met the desired objectives.
Relevant work experience within information security
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: contract work (project choice)
Cons: minimal hours
- I work on sensitive IT Security based projects that generate new and creative methods of analyzing security systems with the end goal of proactive security.

- Multitasking is a key role in any job function but crucially important to one that requires me to work on four projects at once; it's a skill that only gets better with time.
Productive entry level experience
Junior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: it is very balanced, work + school
A typical day would be reviewing expense reports for compliance, authority and budget availability. I also do reconciling of a suspense account and assist the Financial Analysts with some account analysis. Another task on a typical day is making and processing journal entries.

All of the experience from this company is what I learned from this department as this is my first Accounting related job.
Needs improvement
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 5, 2013
Cons: un-experienced administrators
Young university that needs to improve on many levels. Administrative problems are a constant hindrance to productivity. Although described as an IT based university its IT infrastructures and policies are outdated and complicate daily tasks.
This research job is a tremendous experience and it will pave the way for my future endeavors in the automotive industry
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2013
Pros: a lot of high tech equipment available, especially the truck simulator.
Cons: simulations in ls-dyna take days to complete because of the complexity of our project
I have learned a lot about the safety requirements of an automobile as well as the amount of danger drivers and passengers are faced with when travelling. Safety in cars has improved a lot over the last decade, but there is still a lot of room for improvement to ensure the safety of our families and loved ones when travelling in a vehicle.
My co-workers have been excellent, very informative and are always willing to help when I require their assistance. The opportunity to interact with such intelligent people and learn from them is something I hope to pass on.
Excellent organization!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 31, 2013
As a teaching assistant at UOIT, you receive flexible hours which help significantly when you are a full-time student to balance work, school and ones personal life. The staff members are extremely helpful and courteous and provide great detail on weekly expectations in order to ensure one is capable of not only completing a task, but on a timely basis as well.
Productive and fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 30, 2012
Pros: knowledge
Cons: no pay
Great experience, learned valuable knowledge that cannot be learnt in books.
Continued learning opportunities
Instructor - Introduction to Movement Neuroscience (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 1, 2012
Working at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology has provided me with ample opportunity to continue to gain and refine skills in research and teaching related to humans specifically in health sciences, kinesiology and neuroscience. With such a wide range of opportunities for employment within the university, I have has exposure to various aspects of higher education from a student and employee point of view. It has been an opportunity that I have truely enjoyed.
Supportive for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: it is fun to create and to be innovative
Cons: not many others know about the machine, so it was hard to get help
The job is to program the embedded system for the parallel kinematic manipulator CNC machine located in the lab. I had to measure and calibrate the linear actuators and put the data on the system for inverse kinematics calculation. The associates working in the lab were supportive and helped me through some challenging moments. I also created a virtual model of the CNC machine with Solidworks and output it into the Mechanical tool box on Matlab for HMI simulation.
Great place to work and develop your skills
Student (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 3, 2012
As a student I did not expect them to be so helpful in finding me a research position and allowing me to contribute.

About University of Ontario Institute of Technology

UOIT's innovative and unique undergraduate and graduate programs are designed to meet your interests and career aspirations, along – Read more