University of Ontario Institute of Technology

University of Ontario Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Awesome Staff
Junior Business Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 28, 2016
The most important part of working at the University Of Ontario Institute Of Technology is that the staff there are very helpful and accommodating. They know that each and everyone is working towards the same goal and that fuels the positive energy that is rampant in the organisation as a whole.
Great experience for students
Student Recruit Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 22, 2016
The current online recruit platform (Skype) is not developed. My job was to answer questions from future students via email.
Pros
flexible working time
Cons
too little workload.
Productive workplace with very well academic culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 6, 2016
10 hours a week, freedom working time schedule. There are lots of skills to learn for communicating and helping students. Also, Cooperating with supervisors to design courses is required. The hardest part is the time before and after exam periods, because there are many students who will come to your office and ask for questions. However, the hardest part is also the enjoyable part, because you will teach them a lot even courses do not show and be satisfied with your work.
A growing university with wonderful work environment
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 4, 2016
The research and teaching environment is focused and strongly emphasized, yet the people are amazing. I can't say I felt any overbearing competition throughout my experience; all the competition with my fellow colleagues was in good nature and encouraging, rather than restrictive. The university is still growing so the labs may not offer the top notch level equipment but there is an excellent sense of responsibility and drive to do with what you have (also the gym and all the extra-curricular activities are a plus). It was amazing to make all sorts of projects and see how they grow as a result of student involvement. Supervising and teaching the students was excellent too; everyone is respectful, devoted, and curious, so it was exciting to help them on their way to success. Most of my experience for engineering comes from school, the projects, and the people that helped me either through teaching or acquiring knowledge themselves. I can't say that there were no challenges: sometimes working late was necessary, finding necessary equipment (sometimes second-hand), and competing things neatly could be difficult (primarily due to lack of some equipment, software, or immense qualifications that I did not have). Nonetheless, the experience was worthwhile because the management was to the point and supportive throughout.
Pros
Access to gym, events, volunteer experience, involvement with research
Cons
lack of equipment, late hours
extremely good for students and fun to work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 12, 2016
The university offers students the opportunity to gain valuable experience before graduating and allowing them to be potential people of interest to employers
Educational and fun
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
On average, I would meet with my supervisor about once every other week where she would give me assignments, explain them to me and give me a deadline. These assignments include researching on specific health topics such as Air Pollution or Girls Sports Participation. I have also have the opportunity to great several research posters and presentations. Since I am working from home, I have been able to manage my own schedule and set my own hours. The hardest part of my job would be doing the research because it takes up quite a few hours. The most enjoyable part of my job would be that I can create my own schedule, especially considering I am still a full-time student.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Slow at times
Coolest work experience
Mascot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
This position was a blast and it took me to a lot more places than I thought it would. I would gladly recommend that anyone else try their hand at the position if they are ever given a chance to!
Excellent opportunities for students
Teaching Assistant for Finance I & II (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 16, 2015
UOIT provides a great work environment for students to develop skills in their field of study by working under a professor to conduct tutorials and develop communication skills.
Great work for students.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
I was a student laboratory technician, and I can sincerely say that I learned more in this job than in some of my classes. This position is directly related to my field of study and many of my performed tasked were more challenging than my academic assignments.
Professional environment
Research Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,ONMay 10, 2015
UOIT is a great university that allows for greater chance of research experience. They take pride in their students and in their academic program.
Tedious work but good job to balance school and work life
Conversion Caller (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioApril 28, 2015
As a conversion caller, most of the work hours consisted of calling hundreds of students to inform them on the opportunities at UOIT. While some conversations were enlightening the majority of the tasks were tedious but the great hours allowed me to balance school work while making money. Since it was contracted work for a few months there is no opportunity to advance.
A great learning and growing experience
Capstone Project - Autonomous Roof Nailing Robot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2015
As a student getting my bachelors at UOIT, I find that I was fortunate enough to be a part of numerous projects that helped me tremendously in developing core design and engineering skills but also drive my mind set into working in a multidisciplinary team.
Excellent institution for higher education.
Under-graduate student (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 24, 2015
UOIT is an amazing place where students can study and explore various opportunities which can lend them good jobs to become successful in life.
Great team to work with, very accommodating and schedule flexibility.
Student Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 19, 2014
Provided front line service to students, staff, advisors, and other stakeholders.
Fun atmosphere followed by discipline
Researcher at Clean Energy Research Lab. (CERL) (Current Employee) –  OshawaAugust 8, 2014
At UOIT especially at Clean Energy Research lab. (CERL) energetic atmosphere dominates work procedure. Projects are defined from industry and are conducted in CERL. As part of the disciplined work schedule, all employees can perform as their best.
Pros
comfortable office
Cons
hvac system
Learning Outcomes
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 7, 2014
This was a position that I got while a final year student at university. I was able to learn about the different aspects of imparting my knowledge to fellow students.
Excellent place to work
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 21, 2014
Exposure to various levels of staff, academic professionals and community stakeholders.
great place to work
dealing with students
students succeeding
Great School, Great Teachers, Technologically Advanced
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
I go to school everyday, where classes run from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm depending on the scheduling of the courses you are registered for. I gained the knowledge on the fundamentals of engineering, and project management, as well as various other soft skills. Other students at the university are easy to get along with, and are eager to help each other to pursue higher goals. The hardest part of going to this school is the 40 minute commute each morning, and occasionally the lack of study spaces. The most enjoyable part of attending this university is the student life and culture of the various people I have encountered throughout my education.
Pros
occasional free lunch provided by administration, excellent lab facilities, encouraging faculty members
Cons
occasional long hours, 4 of 5 days a week (8am - 10pm)
Relevant work experience within information security
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 1, 2014
- I work on sensitive IT Security based projects that generate new and creative methods of analyzing security systems with the end goal of proactive security.

- Multitasking is a key role in any job function but crucially important to one that requires me to work on four projects at once; it's a skill that only gets better with time.
Pros
contract work (project choice)
Cons
minimal hours

4.4