University of Ontario Institute of Technology

University of Ontario Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive workplace with very well academic culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 6, 2016
10 hours a week, freedom working time schedule. There are lots of skills to learn for communicating and helping students. Also, Cooperating with supervisors to design courses is required. The hardest part is the time before and after exam periods, because there are many students who will come to your office and ask for questions. However, the hardest part is also the enjoyable part, because you will teach them a lot even courses do not show and be satisfied with your work.
Awesome Staff
Junior Business Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 28, 2016
The most important part of working at the University Of Ontario Institute Of Technology is that the staff there are very helpful and accommodating. They know that each and everyone is working towards the same goal and that fuels the positive energy that is rampant in the organisation as a whole.
Educational and fun
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
On average, I would meet with my supervisor about once every other week where she would give me assignments, explain them to me and give me a deadline. These assignments include researching on specific health topics such as Air Pollution or Girls Sports Participation. I have also have the opportunity to great several research posters and presentations. Since I am working from home, I have been able to manage my own schedule and set my own hours. The hardest part of my job would be doing the research because it takes up quite a few hours. The most enjoyable part of my job would be that I can create my own schedule, especially considering I am still a full-time student.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Slow at times
Great experience for students
Student Recruit Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 22, 2016
The current online recruit platform (Skype) is not developed. My job was to answer questions from future students via email.
Pros
flexible working time
Cons
too little workload.
extremely good for students and fun to work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 12, 2016
The university offers students the opportunity to gain valuable experience before graduating and allowing them to be potential people of interest to employers
Coolest work experience
Mascot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
This position was a blast and it took me to a lot more places than I thought it would. I would gladly recommend that anyone else try their hand at the position if they are ever given a chance to!
Excellent opportunities for students
Teaching Assistant for Finance I & II (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 16, 2015
UOIT provides a great work environment for students to develop skills in their field of study by working under a professor to conduct tutorials and develop communication skills.
Great work for students.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
I was a student laboratory technician, and I can sincerely say that I learned more in this job than in some of my classes. This position is directly related to my field of study and many of my performed tasked were more challenging than my academic assignments.
Tedious work but good job to balance school and work life
Conversion Caller (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioApril 28, 2015
As a conversion caller, most of the work hours consisted of calling hundreds of students to inform them on the opportunities at UOIT. While some conversations were enlightening the majority of the tasks were tedious but the great hours allowed me to balance school work while making money. Since it was contracted work for a few months there is no opportunity to advance.
A great learning and growing experience
Capstone Project - Autonomous Roof Nailing Robot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2015
As a student getting my bachelors at UOIT, I find that I was fortunate enough to be a part of numerous projects that helped me tremendously in developing core design and engineering skills but also drive my mind set into working in a multidisciplinary team.
A growing university with wonderful work environment
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 4, 2016
The research and teaching environment is focused and strongly emphasized, yet the people are amazing. I can't say I felt any overbearing competition throughout my experience; all the competition with my fellow colleagues was in good nature and encouraging, rather than restrictive. The university is still growing so the labs may not offer the top notch level equipment but there is an excellent sense of responsibility and drive to do with what you have (also the gym and all the extra-curricular activities are a plus). It was amazing to make all sorts of projects and see how they grow as a result of student involvement. Supervising and teaching the students was excellent too; everyone is respectful, devoted, and curious, so it was exciting to help them on their way to success. Most of my experience for engineering comes from school, the projects, and the people that helped me either through teaching or acquiring knowledge themselves. I can't say that there were no challenges: sometimes working late was necessary, finding necessary equipment (sometimes second-hand), and competing things neatly could be difficult (primarily due to lack of some equipment, software, or immense qualifications that I did not have). Nonetheless, the experience was worthwhile because the management was to the point and supportive throughout.
Pros
Access to gym, events, volunteer experience, involvement with research
Cons
lack of equipment, late hours
Professional environment
Research Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,ONMay 10, 2015
UOIT is a great university that allows for greater chance of research experience. They take pride in their students and in their academic program.
Excellent institution for higher education.
Under-graduate student (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 24, 2015
UOIT is an amazing place where students can study and explore various opportunities which can lend them good jobs to become successful in life.
Professional environment that allows for innovation to blossom
Research Assistant & Game Developer, (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 13, 2014
I worked under a number of professors creating digital content and designing video games.

The atmosphere was professional in terms of deadlines and objectives, but implementation and design was much more free forming allowing for me as a designer to create some great products that were fun and met the desired objectives.
Pros
great people and mentorship
Productive entry level experience
Junior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2013
A typical day would be reviewing expense reports for compliance, authority and budget availability. I also do reconciling of a suspense account and assist the Financial Analysts with some account analysis. Another task on a typical day is making and processing journal entries.

All of the experience from this company is what I learned from this department as this is my first Accounting related job.
Pros
it is very balanced, work + school
Supportive for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 14, 2012
The job is to program the embedded system for the parallel kinematic manipulator CNC machine located in the lab. I had to measure and calibrate the linear actuators and put the data on the system for inverse kinematics calculation. The associates working in the lab were supportive and helped me through some challenging moments. I also created a virtual model of the CNC machine with Solidworks and output it into the Mechanical tool box on Matlab for HMI simulation.
Pros
it is fun to create and to be innovative
Cons
not many others know about the machine, so it was hard to get help
Continued learning opportunities
Instructor - Introduction to Movement Neuroscience (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 1, 2012
Working at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology has provided me with ample opportunity to continue to gain and refine skills in research and teaching related to humans specifically in health sciences, kinesiology and neuroscience. With such a wide range of opportunities for employment within the university, I have has exposure to various aspects of higher education from a student and employee point of view. It has been an opportunity that I have truely enjoyed.
Fun atmosphere followed by discipline
Researcher at Clean Energy Research Lab. (CERL) (Current Employee) –  OshawaAugust 8, 2014
At UOIT especially at Clean Energy Research lab. (CERL) energetic atmosphere dominates work procedure. Projects are defined from industry and are conducted in CERL. As part of the disciplined work schedule, all employees can perform as their best.
Pros
comfortable office
Cons
hvac system
Excellent organization!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 31, 2013
As a teaching assistant at UOIT, you receive flexible hours which help significantly when you are a full-time student to balance work, school and ones personal life. The staff members are extremely helpful and courteous and provide great detail on weekly expectations in order to ensure one is capable of not only completing a task, but on a timely basis as well.
Great School, Great Teachers, Technologically Advanced
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
I go to school everyday, where classes run from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm depending on the scheduling of the courses you are registered for. I gained the knowledge on the fundamentals of engineering, and project management, as well as various other soft skills. Other students at the university are easy to get along with, and are eager to help each other to pursue higher goals. The hardest part of going to this school is the 40 minute commute each morning, and occasionally the lack of study spaces. The most enjoyable part of attending this university is the student life and culture of the various people I have encountered throughout my education.
Pros
occasional free lunch provided by administration, excellent lab facilities, encouraging faculty members
Cons
occasional long hours, 4 of 5 days a week (8am - 10pm)

4.4