University of Ontario Institute of Technology

University of Ontario Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Educational and fun
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
On average, I would meet with my supervisor about once every other week where she would give me assignments, explain them to me and give me a deadline. These assignments include researching on specific health topics such as Air Pollution or Girls Sports Participation. I have also have the opportunity to great several research posters and presentations. Since I am working from home, I have been able to manage my own schedule and set my own hours. The hardest part of my job would be doing the research because it takes up quite a few hours. The most enjoyable part of my job would be that I can create my own schedule, especially considering I am still a full-time student.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Slow at times
Coolest work experience
Mascot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 11, 2015
This position was a blast and it took me to a lot more places than I thought it would. I would gladly recommend that anyone else try their hand at the position if they are ever given a chance to!
Excellent opportunities for students
Teaching Assistant for Finance I & II (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 16, 2015
UOIT provides a great work environment for students to develop skills in their field of study by working under a professor to conduct tutorials and develop communication skills.
Great work for students.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
I was a student laboratory technician, and I can sincerely say that I learned more in this job than in some of my classes. This position is directly related to my field of study and many of my performed tasked were more challenging than my academic assignments.
Professional environment
Research Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,ONMay 10, 2015
UOIT is a great university that allows for greater chance of research experience. They take pride in their students and in their academic program.
Tedious work but good job to balance school and work life
Conversion Caller (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioApril 28, 2015
As a conversion caller, most of the work hours consisted of calling hundreds of students to inform them on the opportunities at UOIT. While some conversations were enlightening the majority of the tasks were tedious but the great hours allowed me to balance school work while making money. Since it was contracted work for a few months there is no opportunity to advance.
A great learning and growing experience
Capstone Project - Autonomous Roof Nailing Robot (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2015
As a student getting my bachelors at UOIT, I find that I was fortunate enough to be a part of numerous projects that helped me tremendously in developing core design and engineering skills but also drive my mind set into working in a multidisciplinary team.
Excellent institution for higher education.
Under-graduate student (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 24, 2015
UOIT is an amazing place where students can study and explore various opportunities which can lend them good jobs to become successful in life.
Great team to work with, very accommodating and schedule flexibility.
Student Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 19, 2014
Provided front line service to students, staff, advisors, and other stakeholders.
Fun atmosphere followed by discipline
Researcher at Clean Energy Research Lab. (CERL) (Current Employee) –  OshawaAugust 8, 2014
At UOIT especially at Clean Energy Research lab. (CERL) energetic atmosphere dominates work procedure. Projects are defined from industry and are conducted in CERL. As part of the disciplined work schedule, all employees can perform as their best.
Pros
comfortable office
Cons
hvac system
Learning Outcomes
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 7, 2014
This was a position that I got while a final year student at university. I was able to learn about the different aspects of imparting my knowledge to fellow students.
Excellent place to work
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 21, 2014
Exposure to various levels of staff, academic professionals and community stakeholders.
great place to work
dealing with students
students succeeding
Great School, Great Teachers, Technologically Advanced
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
I go to school everyday, where classes run from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm depending on the scheduling of the courses you are registered for. I gained the knowledge on the fundamentals of engineering, and project management, as well as various other soft skills. Other students at the university are easy to get along with, and are eager to help each other to pursue higher goals. The hardest part of going to this school is the 40 minute commute each morning, and occasionally the lack of study spaces. The most enjoyable part of attending this university is the student life and culture of the various people I have encountered throughout my education.
Pros
occasional free lunch provided by administration, excellent lab facilities, encouraging faculty members
Cons
occasional long hours, 4 of 5 days a week (8am - 10pm)
Professional environment that allows for innovation to blossom
Research Assistant & Game Developer, (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 13, 2014
I worked under a number of professors creating digital content and designing video games.

The atmosphere was professional in terms of deadlines and objectives, but implementation and design was much more free forming allowing for me as a designer to create some great products that were fun and met the desired objectives.
Pros
great people and mentorship
Cons
Relevant work experience within information security
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 1, 2014
- I work on sensitive IT Security based projects that generate new and creative methods of analyzing security systems with the end goal of proactive security.

- Multitasking is a key role in any job function but crucially important to one that requires me to work on four projects at once; it's a skill that only gets better with time.
Pros
contract work (project choice)
Cons
minimal hours
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 19, 2013
working at uoit as a research assistant/teaching assistant was a required portion of my degree.
I would not have gotten paid the whopping 17280 a year if I didn't
Pros
.uoit
Cons
uoit
Productive entry level experience
Junior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2013
A typical day would be reviewing expense reports for compliance, authority and budget availability. I also do reconciling of a suspense account and assist the Financial Analysts with some account analysis. Another task on a typical day is making and processing journal entries.

All of the experience from this company is what I learned from this department as this is my first Accounting related job.
Pros
it is very balanced, work + school
Needs improvement
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 5, 2013
Young university that needs to improve on many levels. Administrative problems are a constant hindrance to productivity. Although described as an IT based university its IT infrastructures and policies are outdated and complicate daily tasks.
Cons
un-experienced administrators
This research job is a tremendous experience and it will pave the way for my future endeavors in the automotive industry
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2013
I have learned a lot about the safety requirements of an automobile as well as the amount of danger drivers and passengers are faced with when travelling. Safety in cars has improved a lot over the last decade, but there is still a lot of room for improvement to ensure the safety of our families and loved ones when travelling in a vehicle.
My co-workers have been excellent, very informative and are always willing to help when I require their assistance. The opportunity to interact with such intelligent people and learn from them is something I hope to pass on.
Pros
a lot of high tech equipment available, especially the truck simulator.
Cons
simulations in ls-dyna take days to complete because of the complexity of our project

4.3