University of New Brunswick

University of New Brunswick Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Working for the University was enlightening and helpful for building integrity and patience
Freshwater Ecology Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBApril 24, 2016
I had a few different responsibilities when I was working with the University of New Brunswick. I spent most of my days entering specimen data into excel files which required me to work quickly and thoroughly to get the job done on the day I had set for my employer. I was in charge of making my own hours and following my own schedule. I attended meetings every Monday morning to update the team on what I was working on. Other responsibilities included working in labs to grind specimens to a fine powder so that I could later use them for isotope sampling. The hardest part of the job was the Isotope sampling; It was physically tiring on the lower back due to the long hours of sitting in the lab. This job was a great experience for me, it taught me integrity and patience when dealing with tedious tasks. I enjoyed helping with research because I felt like it was important for understanding the ecology of invertebrates.
Producctive and Enganging Work Environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBApril 17, 2016
Pros: Good management, good hourly pay
Cons: Messy union oversight, rigid schedule
A day at work began sitting and listening to lectures while taking notes. As I was writing notes I would keep an eye out for students who were disengaged and advise them to pay attention. When it was time for the students to hand in their papers the professor and I would sit down and discuss the general expectations for the material. I then went on my way and marked up the papers. Influencing the way that the students thought about through provision of advice comments and grades was the best part of the job. I knew that I was making a difference in each and every students life.
Was a 6 week non paid work term
Student Operator (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 28, 2016
great place to gain some experience while in school. Was for a non paid work term. Learned lots about burning biomass fuel along with natural gas in boilers for the heating plant.
Professional workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 16, 2016
Great environment to work and experience in working with different group of students, and opportunity to collaborate with professors.
Excellent opportunity to contribute to student learning, and to conduct research.
Assistant Professor and Writer (Former Employee), Saint John, NBFebruary 16, 2016
Pros: Intellectual growth and opportunity to contribute as an academic.
Cons: Limited opportunity for advancement.
Too many demands on short contracted employees. Abusive treatment from permanent staff resulting in unpleasant work atmosphere.
Good place to know everyone in UNB
Mailroom Assistant (Current Employee), University of New Brunswick, Saint JohnNovember 21, 2015
Classify and track documents and packages
As goods arrive at anytime, ability to change plans according to the situations to find the efficient way to deliver goods
Provide good customer service

Have become better organized, flexible, problem solving and people oriented
Excellent place to work
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBNovember 2, 2015
UNB is an excellent place to study and work. This beautiful campus is located in the capital city of Fredericton overlooking the St. John river. The university has an exceptional community of academics and is the premier comprehensive research institution in New Brunswick.
Enjoyed my time
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), FrederictonSeptember 20, 2015
Worked as a teaching assistant for 3 courses. Teachers are really helpful and tries to make the job enjoyable for TAs. Will recommend to other students.
Simple jobs, tight deadlines, good management, great coworkers
STUDENT CLEANER (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Management very understanding of personal life issues
Cons: Cleaning up disgusting situations
Cleaning rooms, making beds, buffing and waxing floors. Learn to work efficiently as a team while under tight deadlines. Management is understanding when personal issues arrive and you need time off. Coworkers are friendly and are always willing to lend a hand and invite new people in. Hardest job is cleaning apartments where people have been living for more than 2 years, and therefore requires thorough. Most Enjoyable part is your given freedom to talk and listen to music while you work as long as you stay focused.
Good place ti study
Teaching assistant (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 29, 2015
We have a good research team and the atmosphere is very friendly. The teachers are fully invested in organizing the courses
Day on the job
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 1, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, independence
Cons: limited collaboration
A typical day in the life of this PhD Candidate involves starting the day off with a large cup of coffee and a few articles pertaining to my research. The day usually continues with some data analysis with various softwares, followed by a few laps around campus reflecting on the data and approaches. Unfortunately there is not much collaboration, which I would prefer. I find bouncing ideas around and collaborations can progress some interesting thoughts, especially since my research uses social network analysis yet I feel a bit insulated from a research community.

The most enjoyable moments are those "ah ha" moments that come with moments of clarity and connection between the various fields I utilizing in my research approach.

The hardest part of my day is when I'd really enjoy a second opinion or good conversation on the topics at hand, but there are not many at that can relate to my field of research or the chosen methods for the research. However, there have been some online tutorials and workshops that have been very beneficial for the software I am utilizing.

The "co-workers" I have, other graduate students, are all brilliant, motivated, talented people. I wish we had similar research at times, but it's always fascinating learning about the various topics.
Supportive and motivating
Sessional Professor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
Teaching in the Bachelor of Nursing Program at Humber ITAL/UNB has been a tremendously positive journey, gaining and imparting knowledge and skills with peers, students, and colleagues.
Great Employer
Senior Supervisor (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 7, 2015
Flexible hours, good benefits, friendly environment, nice campus life.
Enjoy working with people here. Ideal place to work.
best campus
Teaching Assistant/Math Tutor (Former Employee), Saint John, NBFebruary 24, 2015
small campus, people know each other include teachers, people establish strong relationships. balanced life and work. and a lot of activities.
An effective education facility
Nursing Student (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 19, 2015
I have enjoyed the time I have spent at UNB. I am thankful for the fond memories and abundant knowledge it has provided me.
Challenging, rewarding
University student (Current Employee), Fredericton,NbJanuary 5, 2015
It's challenging yet rewarding during the studying period.
Research assistant: job review
Research assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBDecember 14, 2014
• Environmental Trust Fund project: “Modelling economic consequences of the climate change impacts on ground transportation in Atlantic Canada”.

• Responsibilities: literature review, specification of statistical model, data gathering, model estimation, empirical testing, preparation and presentation of interim reports.

Outcomes:
• ICTTE-2015 article: "Economic consequences of climate change impacts on transportation: The case of Atlantic Canada". Co-author.

• MA report: "Estimating evolutionary dynamics of climate variables: The case of mean monthly temperature in Atlantic Canada". Defended.
Capable to work anywhere
Backyard Book Club Tutor (Former Employee), Saint John, NBOctober 12, 2014
Job could be completed anywhere with a computer during the allotted time
N/A
BUSINESS ANALYST INTERN (Former Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 25, 2014
•Reviewed the financial aspects of service development, such as budgets, expenditures andresearch and development appropriations.
•Initiated market research studies and analyzed findings.
•Liaise with faculty members to get them involved in the business
•Analyzed business developments and monitored market trends.
•Analyzed third-party data and investigated new growth opportunities.
•Created effective marketing strategies, raising awareness of the business
Help School to introduce the university to international advisors.
UNB's International Recruitment Center volunteer (Former Employee), Fredericton NBAugust 25, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good place to work. I helped International Recruitment Center introduce UNB to guests and help to host by coming by to say hello or volunteering for a small task.