University of New Brunswick

University of New Brunswick Employee Reviews in Canada

Producctive and Enganging Work Environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBApril 17, 2016
A day at work began sitting and listening to lectures while taking notes. As I was writing notes I would keep an eye out for students who were disengaged and advise them to pay attention. When it was time for the students to hand in their papers the professor and I would sit down and discuss the general expectations for the material. I then went on my way and marked up the papers. Influencing the way that the students thought about through provision of advice comments and grades was the best part of the job. I knew that I was making a difference in each and every students life.
Pros
Good management, good hourly pay
Cons
Messy union oversight, rigid schedule
Excellent opportunity to contribute to student learning, and to conduct research.
Assistant Professor and Writer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBFebruary 16, 2016
Too many demands on short contracted employees. Abusive treatment from permanent staff resulting in unpleasant work atmosphere.
Pros
Intellectual growth and opportunity to contribute as an academic.
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement.
Was a 6 week non paid work term
Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 28, 2016
great place to gain some experience while in school. Was for a non paid work term. Learned lots about burning biomass fuel along with natural gas in boilers for the heating plant.
Good place to know everyone in UNB
Mailroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  University of New Brunswick, Saint JohnNovember 21, 2015
Classify and track documents and packages
As goods arrive at anytime, ability to change plans according to the situations to find the efficient way to deliver goods
Provide good customer service

Have become better organized, flexible, problem solving and people oriented
Excellent place to work
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 2, 2015
UNB is an excellent place to study and work. This beautiful campus is located in the capital city of Fredericton overlooking the St. John river. The university has an exceptional community of academics and is the premier comprehensive research institution in New Brunswick.
Professional workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 16, 2016
Great environment to work and experience in working with different group of students, and opportunity to collaborate with professors.
Simple jobs, tight deadlines, good management, great coworkers
STUDENT CLEANER (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 2, 2015
Cleaning rooms, making beds, buffing and waxing floors. Learn to work efficiently as a team while under tight deadlines. Management is understanding when personal issues arrive and you need time off. Coworkers are friendly and are always willing to lend a hand and invite new people in. Hardest job is cleaning apartments where people have been living for more than 2 years, and therefore requires thorough. Most Enjoyable part is your given freedom to talk and listen to music while you work as long as you stay focused.
Pros
Management very understanding of personal life issues
Cons
Cleaning up disgusting situations
Enjoyed my time
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  FrederictonSeptember 20, 2015
Worked as a teaching assistant for 3 courses. Teachers are really helpful and tries to make the job enjoyable for TAs. Will recommend to other students.
UNB is a leader in offering a high level of education
International Student Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Beaverbrook House, uptown Saint JohnApril 24, 2016
The University of New Brunswick is a Top Employer in Canada.

My colleagues and staff members go above and beyond each day. The student experience is our priority and we all do our very best to ensure their needs are met.

Typical Day: Delivering a powerpoint presentation to a full grade eleven or twelve classroom, likely you will visit 4 or 5 high schools per day. It is important to plan well with the guidance counsellors before your visit, be responsible for directions/transportation/scheduling and especially important to effectively follow-up with the students and engage in correspondence as well as properly thanking the teacher/principal/school officials.
In the evening you will be required to either attend a reception/dinner or panel discussion event or perhaps have a night of scheduled meetings with students and parents to assist them with the application and obtain their documents for admission. You are always representing UNB, New Brunswick and even Canada each day.

Best part of the job: Assisting students and their parents with the decision and application to UNB then having the student arrive and see them thrive in their studies, sports, social life and general university experience!

Hardest part of the job: Brilliant and eager students who have been admitted to UNB, but can not afford the tuition.

I have learned everything and continue to take in new information each day!
Pros
Changing students lives by helping them discover their University option of UNB
Cons
Travel Expense Claims !
Supportive and motivating
Sessional Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
Teaching in the Bachelor of Nursing Program at Humber ITAL/UNB has been a tremendously positive journey, gaining and imparting knowledge and skills with peers, students, and colleagues.
Research assistant: job review
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBDecember 14, 2014
• Environmental Trust Fund project: “Modelling economic consequences of the climate change impacts on ground transportation in Atlantic Canada”.

• Responsibilities: literature review, specification of statistical model, data gathering, model estimation, empirical testing, preparation and presentation of interim reports.

Outcomes:
• ICTTE-2015 article: "Economic consequences of climate change impacts on transportation: The case of Atlantic Canada". Co-author.

• MA report: "Estimating evolutionary dynamics of climate variables: The case of mean monthly temperature in Atlantic Canada". Defended.
Good place ti study
Teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJune 29, 2015
We have a good research team and the atmosphere is very friendly. The teachers are fully invested in organizing the courses
N/A
BUSINESS ANALYST INTERN (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 25, 2014
•Reviewed the financial aspects of service development, such as budgets, expenditures andresearch and development appropriations.
•Initiated market research studies and analyzed findings.
•Liaise with faculty members to get them involved in the business
•Analyzed business developments and monitored market trends.
•Analyzed third-party data and investigated new growth opportunities.
•Created effective marketing strategies, raising awareness of the business
University well recognized for Engineering program
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 24, 2014
I started the PhD program in the Department of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering at University of New Brunswick in 2008. It is a quite place for study. Even the number of professors in this department is limited, but every one is very well recognized in their field. With a high student/professor ratio, students get more chances to discuss their research with the supervisor. It was informative and interesting to join the group meeting every Friday afternoon, giving a brief summary of the work done over the week, looking for advices and comments from other group members, and learn from others as well. Talking about the hard part, I would said that is try to survive in the winter:)
Enjoyed the learning environment and researching for information.
Library and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 15, 2012
Helped faculty and students find information on using the library and other information. There were projects such as transcribing memoirs and completing interlibrary loans.
The hardest part was not being able to help someone find their information they were looking for.
I liked the "searching" aspect of my job. Very enjoyable.
Pros
setting was a learning environment, i liked working for a university.
Cons
no cons.
Enjoyable and learned a lot
Entomology research assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 21, 2012
My summer working for the University was unique and informable. I learned a great deal about insects and the damages they cause to the forest , which in turn hurt the forest industry. The job included lots of field work and driving around. The professor leading the project made the working environment settle and enjoyable. My co-workers were great team players and were very fun and easy to work with.
best campus
Teaching Assistant/Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBFebruary 24, 2015
small campus, people know each other include teachers, people establish strong relationships. balanced life and work. and a lot of activities.
Help School to introduce the university to international advisors.
UNB's International Recruitment Center volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton NBAugust 25, 2014
Good place to work. I helped International Recruitment Center introduce UNB to guests and help to host by coming by to say hello or volunteering for a small task.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Employer
Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 7, 2015
Flexible hours, good benefits, friendly environment, nice campus life.
Enjoy working with people here. Ideal place to work.
An effective education facility
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 19, 2015
I have enjoyed the time I have spent at UNB. I am thankful for the fond memories and abundant knowledge it has provided me.

4.4