University of New Brunswick

University of New Brunswick Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Day on the job
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 1, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, independence
Cons: limited collaboration
A typical day in the life of this PhD Candidate involves starting the day off with a large cup of coffee and a few articles pertaining to my research. The day usually continues with some data analysis with various softwares, followed by a few laps around campus reflecting on the data and approaches. Unfortunately there is not much collaboration, which I would prefer. I find bouncing ideas around and collaborations can progress some interesting thoughts, especially since my research uses social network analysis yet I feel a bit insulated from a research community.

The most enjoyable moments are those "ah ha" moments that come with moments of clarity and connection between the various fields I utilizing in my research approach.

The hardest part of my day is when I'd really enjoy a second opinion or good conversation on the topics at hand, but there are not many at that can relate to my field of research or the chosen methods for the research. However, there have been some online tutorials and workshops that have been very beneficial for the software I am utilizing.

The "co-workers" I have, other graduate students, are all brilliant, motivated, talented people. I wish we had similar research at times, but it's always fascinating learning about the various topics.
University well recognized for Engineering program
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBMay 24, 2014
I started the PhD program in the Department of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering at University of New Brunswick in 2008. It is a quite place for study. Even the number of professors in this department is limited, but every one is very well recognized in their field. With a high student/professor ratio, students get more chances to discuss their research with the supervisor. It was informative and interesting to join the group meeting every Friday afternoon, giving a brief summary of the work done over the week, looking for advices and comments from other group members, and learn from others as well. Talking about the hard part, I would said that is try to survive in the winter:)
Simple jobs, tight deadlines, good management, great coworkers
STUDENT CLEANER (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Management very understanding of personal life issues
Cons: Cleaning up disgusting situations
Cleaning rooms, making beds, buffing and waxing floors. Learn to work efficiently as a team while under tight deadlines. Management is understanding when personal issues arrive and you need time off. Coworkers are friendly and are always willing to lend a hand and invite new people in. Hardest job is cleaning apartments where people have been living for more than 2 years, and therefore requires thorough. Most Enjoyable part is your given freedom to talk and listen to music while you work as long as you stay focused.
Research assistant: job review
Research assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBDecember 14, 2014
• Environmental Trust Fund project: “Modelling economic consequences of the climate change impacts on ground transportation in Atlantic Canada”.

• Responsibilities: literature review, specification of statistical model, data gathering, model estimation, empirical testing, preparation and presentation of interim reports.

Outcomes:
• ICTTE-2015 article: "Economic consequences of climate change impacts on transportation: The case of Atlantic Canada". Co-author.

• MA report: "Estimating evolutionary dynamics of climate variables: The case of mean monthly temperature in Atlantic Canada". Defended.
Enjoyed the learning environment and researching for information.
Library and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 15, 2012
Pros: setting was a learning environment, i liked working for a university.
Cons: no cons.
Helped faculty and students find information on using the library and other information. There were projects such as transcribing memoirs and completing interlibrary loans.
The hardest part was not being able to help someone find their information they were looking for.
I liked the "searching" aspect of my job. Very enjoyable.
N/A
BUSINESS ANALYST INTERN (Former Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 25, 2014
•Reviewed the financial aspects of service development, such as budgets, expenditures andresearch and development appropriations.
•Initiated market research studies and analyzed findings.
•Liaise with faculty members to get them involved in the business
•Analyzed business developments and monitored market trends.
•Analyzed third-party data and investigated new growth opportunities.
•Created effective marketing strategies, raising awareness of the business
Enjoyable and learned a lot
Entomology research assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBNovember 21, 2012
My summer working for the University was unique and informable. I learned a great deal about insects and the damages they cause to the forest , which in turn hurt the forest industry. The job included lots of field work and driving around. The professor leading the project made the working environment settle and enjoyable. My co-workers were great team players and were very fun and easy to work with.
Excellent place to work
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBNovember 2, 2015
UNB is an excellent place to study and work. This beautiful campus is located in the capital city of Fredericton overlooking the St. John river. The university has an exceptional community of academics and is the premier comprehensive research institution in New Brunswick.
Help School to introduce the university to international advisors.
UNB's International Recruitment Center volunteer (Former Employee), Fredericton NBAugust 25, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good place to work. I helped International Recruitment Center introduce UNB to guests and help to host by coming by to say hello or volunteering for a small task.
Nice place to work
Student Technology Consultant (Former Employee), Student Technology ConsultantNovember 14, 2013
Pros: work culture, awesome manager, learning opportunity, flexible schedule
Cons: low wage, no perks
One of my favorite employer. Very comfortable culture and friendly colleagues. Opportunity to learn.
Supportive and motivating
Sessional Professor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
Teaching in the Bachelor of Nursing Program at Humber ITAL/UNB has been a tremendously positive journey, gaining and imparting knowledge and skills with peers, students, and colleagues.
chalenging and productive experience
Team lead (Current Employee), FrederictonApril 23, 2014
the job is very challenging since we are developing a new technology.
the work place atmosphere is very pleasant and enjoyable and my co workers are friendly and cooperative.
Enjoyed my time
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), FrederictonSeptember 20, 2015
Worked as a teaching assistant for 3 courses. Teachers are really helpful and tries to make the job enjoyable for TAs. Will recommend to other students.
Management iss easy-going
Technical Web Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericton, New BrunswickMay 21, 2013
A very good place for professional development. Very smart people all around and good opportunity to meet with people from other lines of business.
best campus
Teaching Assistant/Math Tutor (Former Employee), Saint John, NBFebruary 24, 2015
small campus, people know each other include teachers, people establish strong relationships. balanced life and work. and a lot of activities.
private tutor
private tutor (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 18, 2014
Assessed individual problem subject areas
Actively engaged in teaching subject skills
Improved test performance and retained client relationship
Productive and fun
Java Web Developer, Co-op (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMay 25, 2014
Enjoyed working with a group of smart people who are good at our work respectively, it's a good place for work and self-improvement.
An effective education facility
Nursing Student (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 19, 2015
I have enjoyed the time I have spent at UNB. I am thankful for the fond memories and abundant knowledge it has provided me.
Good place ti study
Teaching assistant (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 29, 2015
We have a good research team and the atmosphere is very friendly. The teachers are fully invested in organizing the courses
Great Employer
Senior Supervisor (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 7, 2015
Flexible hours, good benefits, friendly environment, nice campus life.
Enjoy working with people here. Ideal place to work.