University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

stressful but managable
Family Medicine Residency Program (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg MBMay 9, 2014
Round on patients in the morning then see Out patient Clinic
Part-time job in the university.
Lab Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2014
I had the opportunity to work as a lab assistant in the University of Manitoba in the education department. The position contained routine activities such as cleaning of equipment and handling inventory. In this specific position no advancement or learning opportunities were available.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
routine tasks. no growth opportunities.
no rush, part time job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2014
work day: depends
what I learn:Drafting CAD drawing
management: none
co-workers:none
hardest part of the job: none.
the most enjoyable part of the job: finished the drawing
A very good company to learn advanced measurement technologies in fluid dynamics
Doctoral Student, Graduate TA and RA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 15, 2014
Had good opportunity to do lot of measurements and learn about experimental fluid dynamics
A Job I Will Never Forget
Paid Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
As a paid research assistant and full time honours student, I would work in the lab (as a research assistant) after class and on weekends. Although it was hectic, the graduate students I worked under were very knowledgeable and I learned a great deal.

I really enjoyed collaborating with other students on projects, but also enjoyed the responsibility and independence. Once tasks were delegated, I was free to do my own work and ask questions when necessary. The other undergraduate students (co-workers) were wonderful passionate people with a drive to succeed. I really never had any issues with anyone that I worked with in the lab.

I would say the most difficult part of the job was sometimes too much independence. Without any training I would be tossed into a situation and be expected to figure it out (which can be stressful). However, from such experiences, I learned how resourceful I can be and became a more competent and capable individual because of it.

Overall, I would say the most enjoyable part of the job ended up being the required growth and responsibility that was given to me. I learned a lot about adapting, problem solving and thinking critically which I consider very valuable lessons. Other than that, it was the people; when you work in an environment in which people respect you and trust you to get things done, you are motivated to do the best you can.
Stable workplace with good benefits
Information Technologist 3 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 12, 2013
Overall working at the University of Manitoba is a good experience. The staff are generally friendly and the students are eager to learn. The employees have good benefits and the vacation allowance for the year is generous.

The university's bureaucracy is a bit stifling. Paperwork is often done on paper, but there has been a push to move to computers over the last few years in items that affect payroll and HR.

Salaries for many positions are good, but are low in the IT field.
Pros
great people, important work
Cons
very bureaucratic
friendly working environment
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2013
teaching, enjoy collaborative work in students' projects.
Researching in Educational Gaming Design and ICT integration in Education.
the hardest part of my job is when i am late with some tasks.
I enjoy completing any software development assignment.
Pros
participated and presented papers in forums
Cons
distraction during working hours
Acting
Acting (Former Employee) –  winnipegOctober 1, 2013
-Go to work
-Acting Exercises
-Practice play
-most enjoyable part: fun environment
University of Manitoba is a very good university
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 14, 2013
I work in the lab from 8 am to 5pm everyday. I learned how to think in scientific way and how to design experiment. Besides the scientific skills I learned, I also learned how to present my works in front of other researches and how to communicate with my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor and co-workers are all very helpful. They not only teach me some technologies, but also give me some good advise of my project. The hardest part of the job is experiments not always go well, and sometimes I just cannot get the results I expected. However, I like those challenges and enjoy the efforts i put for reach my objective everyday.
Rewarding and engaging experience which strengthened my own skills
Grader/ Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2013
Reviewing and correcting students work in the same specialty area of university was very engaging. As a student further along in the program I was a type of mentor for the younger years.

Comment – June 28, 2013

This employer has applied for a provisional ticket for a third to stop over-time for 2nd class power engineers rather than offering a competitive wage for a second class power engineer.

I found said school distant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 12, 2013
I never adjusted to life in the west, and it shows. I just found the people difficult to know or understand. I never felt I fit in.
Pros
work on one's own
Cons
too cold
Payroll Department
Payroll Receptionist, Office Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MB CanadaJanuary 23, 2013
Extremely fast paced environment.
Very Professional.
Learned data entry, filing, book keeping, how to work photocopy machine and fax.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MBJanuary 3, 2013
Good co-workers and excellent work environment. Will be exposed to multi cultural scenarios, international contacts.
Pros
multi cultural, international exposure
Cons
periodic long hours of work
Lively with lots to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 6, 2012
It was a wonderful experience as I worked on a topic related to aging. The supervisor was very helpful and I learnt various laboratory skills. The hardest part of the job was to perform assays using outdated devices. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet the world renowned scientists and learn about their ongoing research. The management was very good except the replacement of the damaged devices always took very long.
Pros
on campus location
Cons
had to work overtime without getting paid for it
The University of Manitoba was a great work place for my entire career
Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2012
Very busy environment, and required the ability to be organized and remain in direct contact with all staff and the University community. I was fortunate to have staff who were reliable, and willing to assist in creating a positive work place. The most difficult aspect of this position was maintaining a high level of job completions, as it was very busy at all times. Keeping on top of deadlines, and being productive was satisfying.
Pros
i was fortunate to work at the university and have a long careeer n that area.
Cons
very busy environment and could be stressful meeting deadlines.
To me It's a good university
Robotic Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 19, 2012
education quality is good in this university
i learned robotics and different kinds of Controllers in this University.
Excellent work!
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 14, 2012
Moved to different province. Loved the university life, a lot of room to grow in your career.
Participation in esteemed research into teaching Autistic people appreciated
Research Subject (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2012
Participation in the honorarium research subject position engages me in the educational side of life for those who are developmentally challenged. From a career development point of view it helps me to acknowledge that everybody is coming from their own set of abilities and limitations.
Pros
honorarium
Cons
lots of work for little compensation and no clear career connection
Research on available cadmium in soils received different levels of P-fertilizers
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Soil ScienceAugust 17, 2012
I start my work at 8:30 Am at Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba and based on my lab works it continues even after 4:30 Pm. My work environment is very friendly. My work is a very good experience for me because I do think I am working on a project directly dealing with environmental and agricultural problems. In the Department every thing is based on a very well organized schedule. My boss and coworkers are so helpful in need. The hardest part of my job is to work with very dangerous materials such as strong acids and poisonous chemicals that need to be handled very carefully. However, working with knowledgeable professors and other staff make me happy and energetic during my work hours.
Intellectually challenging working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 6, 2012
Typical day starts by listing what needs to be done. It can range from laboratory experiments, data analysis to report writing/editing. Priorities are given to the tasks of the day though.
Pros
environment where you can learn more
Cons
lack of facilities to aid in turning drawing board ideas into reality

4.2