University of Manitoba Employee Reviews in Canada

fun place to learn
Volunteer Language Exchange Program (Current Employee) –  ICSOctober 28, 2014
volunteering to teach international students to speak English and learning about other cultures.
i learn Chinese and how to be a better leader.
supervised
people wit similar goals
have not found one yet
i learn something new everyday
Pros
i have interculturaly relations
Cons
i have less free time
great place and environment
General Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 12, 2014
-meet student, book appointment with student adviser and coordinator
-answer call phone , email response
-word, power point, outlook, excel
-take a minutes

very friendly environment, co-workers happy to help you any time

the hardest part of the job is a take a minutes

the most enjoyable part - work at the U of MB
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.
Part-time job in the university.
Lab Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2014
I had the opportunity to work as a lab assistant in the University of Manitoba in the education department. The position contained routine activities such as cleaning of equipment and handling inventory. In this specific position no advancement or learning opportunities were available.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
routine tasks. no growth opportunities.
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 4, 2012
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only work between 8:20-4:30
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 31, 2014
Good research environment. I have learned so many new research techniques. Management is very good here. I am enjoying to work with co workers.
Complex Place
Architectural Technologist and Designer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 19, 2014
Working mostly on renovations (Laboratories, Classrooms, Reception Desks, Offices)
• Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary
• Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
• Prepare cost estimates, contracts, bidding documents and technical reports for specific projects
• Preparing interior design schedules and furniture layouts
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
Pros
good pay
Cons
no structure
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 12, 2014
University of Manitoba, offers good salary and benefits. All employees (full time or under contract for 1yr or more) are entitled to 3weeks vacation. They encouraged employees to study for upgrade that will help employees develop their skills.
Research on available cadmium in soils received different levels of P-fertilizers
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Soil ScienceAugust 17, 2012
I start my work at 8:30 Am at Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba and based on my lab works it continues even after 4:30 Pm. My work environment is very friendly. My work is a very good experience for me because I do think I am working on a project directly dealing with environmental and agricultural problems. In the Department every thing is based on a very well organized schedule. My boss and coworkers are so helpful in need. The hardest part of my job is to work with very dangerous materials such as strong acids and poisonous chemicals that need to be handled very carefully. However, working with knowledgeable professors and other staff make me happy and energetic during my work hours.
Sometimes stressful but overall enjoyable Workplace
Academic Grader/ Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2012
The University of Manitoba provided a good work environment that fostered relationships with both Co-Workers as well as with Students. A typical day at work involved grading different test, and assignments as given by the instructor. Providing comments and entering grades in the appropriate grading system. Consulting with instructors from time to time to discuss course grades.

The most difficult part of the job was the sometimes high volumes of work with very tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was providing feedback to Students to aid them in achieving success.
Pros
enivironment
Cons
high volumes of work with very tight deadlines
University of Manitoba is a very good university
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 14, 2013
I work in the lab from 8 am to 5pm everyday. I learned how to think in scientific way and how to design experiment. Besides the scientific skills I learned, I also learned how to present my works in front of other researches and how to communicate with my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor and co-workers are all very helpful. They not only teach me some technologies, but also give me some good advise of my project. The hardest part of the job is experiments not always go well, and sometimes I just cannot get the results I expected. However, I like those challenges and enjoy the efforts i put for reach my objective everyday.
nice to work
technician (Former Employee) –  winnipeg manitobaAugust 2, 2012
good place to work , and i could say best place to learned ..
the best training for my career ,
but this is just a placement job , if the department has no budget no work , no money , this is just a good place to look a working experience , ,
Pros
good place to look for an experience
Cons
non
The University of Manitoba was a great work place for my entire career
Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2012
Very busy environment, and required the ability to be organized and remain in direct contact with all staff and the University community. I was fortunate to have staff who were reliable, and willing to assist in creating a positive work place. The most difficult aspect of this position was maintaining a high level of job completions, as it was very busy at all times. Keeping on top of deadlines, and being productive was satisfying.
Pros
i was fortunate to work at the university and have a long careeer n that area.
Cons
very busy environment and could be stressful meeting deadlines.
no rush, part time job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2014
work day: depends
what I learn:Drafting CAD drawing
management: none
co-workers:none
hardest part of the job: none.
the most enjoyable part of the job: finished the drawing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MBJanuary 3, 2013
Good co-workers and excellent work environment. Will be exposed to multi cultural scenarios, international contacts.
Pros
multi cultural, international exposure
Cons
periodic long hours of work
u of m
Assistant Store Trainer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 12, 2014
good place to work. rrsps. many different job titles to go for. no room for advancement
Excellent work!
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 14, 2012
Moved to different province. Loved the university life, a lot of room to grow in your career.
friendly working environment
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2013
teaching, enjoy collaborative work in students' projects.
Researching in Educational Gaming Design and ICT integration in Education.
the hardest part of my job is when i am late with some tasks.
I enjoy completing any software development assignment.
Pros
participated and presented papers in forums
Cons
distraction during working hours
Intellectually challenging working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 6, 2012
Typical day starts by listing what needs to be done. It can range from laboratory experiments, data analysis to report writing/editing. Priorities are given to the tasks of the day though.
Pros
environment where you can learn more
Cons
lack of facilities to aid in turning drawing board ideas into reality
A Job I Will Never Forget
Paid Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
As a paid research assistant and full time honours student, I would work in the lab (as a research assistant) after class and on weekends. Although it was hectic, the graduate students I worked under were very knowledgeable and I learned a great deal.

I really enjoyed collaborating with other students on projects, but also enjoyed the responsibility and independence. Once tasks were delegated, I was free to do my own work and ask questions when necessary. The other undergraduate students (co-workers) were wonderful passionate people with a drive to succeed. I really never had any issues with anyone that I worked with in the lab.

I would say the most difficult part of the job was sometimes too much independence. Without any training I would be tossed into a situation and be expected to figure it out (which can be stressful). However, from such experiences, I learned how resourceful I can be and became a more competent and capable individual because of it.

Overall, I would say the most enjoyable part of the job ended up being the required growth and responsibility that was given to me. I learned a lot about adapting, problem solving and thinking critically which I consider very valuable lessons. Other than that, it was the people; when you work in an environment in which people respect you and trust you to get things done, you are motivated to do the best you can.

4.2