University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

great
Student (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 June 2017
It was a wonderful experience at the University of Manitoba. I met many skilled peers and learned a lot throughout the years. My supervisor was really nice, as were my coworkers.
Killing time
Teaching Assistant, Level II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg15 June 2017
Not enough time spent with students helping them. The required marking of papers is more than what is paid to the employee so very little effort is made to mark papers properly; most students get an A so it becomes a pointless task.
managing 120 students and their cases/ interaction with people/teaching
Technician, Instructor, evaluator and inspection (Former Employee) –  Manitoba13 June 2017
- teaching clinical and dental technology for dentistry
- evaluated students cases
- solve problems with patients cases and showed ways on how to fix them
- had my own office and won 2 awards for outstanding support staff 2 years in a row
-managed cases and paper work and order forms
-looked after 120 students attending the faculty
-active fire warden

Most enjoyable part of the day is helping students become better dentists, it gives me pride knowing a part of my legacy of what I taught will be passed on to them and also having the satisfaction of graduating dentists knowing they are more confident in their work because of me.

hardest part of my job: nothing, I loved it and worked long hours and didnt care if I got paid or not.
Masters Student
Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 June 2017
As a Masters student a typical day involves a great amount of study and the ability to efficiently utilise the time at hand. In this environment one has to plan carefully and leave nothing to the last moment. Last moment actions are rarely productive and only serve as a platform for bad stress. As a whole the diversity of the student population is refreshing, and brings enjoyment to my studies.
Pros
Knowledge is key
Staff & physical environment is good; Senior Mgmt is poor
Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2017
Constant union-busting, budget restraints, and outsourcing make the U of M far less lucrative an employer than in the past. Staff and facilities are very good.
fun place to work
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2017
Working at the university was a really fun place to work. It had it's up's and down's. With absolutely no communication what so ever from the higher up's lots of things were a disaster. But with the awesome employees working there, job's got done, the stress was minimal and the days went by quick.
Pros
awesome people
Cons
a minimal amount of communication
Dance rooms in the Active Living Centre and Powwow Club program
Powwow Club Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 March 2017
Although it is quite small, the dance room I teach in, located in the active living centre is a great necessity for the type of dance I teach. It allows me to perform to the best of my ability and my students learn in a more efficient way. The powwow club program offered at the University of Manitoba is a great way for youth and adults to learn the Aboriginal culture and dance.
Pros
Mirrors, fan, music, aux input, windows, chairs, shelves for belongings, railings, white board, free lunch with program
Cons
Small
Very organised work place. Professional and interesting environment
Human Resources Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
This was a three month temp position covering for an ill worker. Very professional environment with potential for development and growth in my field. Would love a full time position if opportunity arises.
Pros
No freebies but good eats and coffee
Cons
Very controlled environment due to unionised workforce
Very professional, friendly environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
Everyday, I work with Students, and University staff. It's a leaning place. I meet new people every year, from all over the world. We have a very nice Gym, I use it everyday.
The best place I worked
UTILITY CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2017
Good benefits, Has a chance for advancement, Very polite, professional and respectful staffs to work with. Good pay. Good management, Always have a free lunch for all the staffs. Best teamwork and very supportive staffs.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bust days and needs to work nights
Productive workplace to come to everyday
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2017
I enjoy coming to the Lab everyday because i learn new things from other member. It has been a wonderful experience and I encourage others to take advantage of it
Great place!
Educational Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 January 2017
Worked with some of the most talented people ever! Great benefits, the gym is incredible and a really comforting environment. Would definitely recommend working there!
Pros
Great pay, Good People, Perks
Enjoyable work environment
Summer Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  120 dafoe road10 January 2017
Manager and Supervisor were amiable and had good attitude when giving directions as to how they expected the work to be done.

Co-workers were helpful, hard working and a joy to work with.
Pros
day off in the week
Cons
short breaks
Great research experience
Student, Summer research assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
The location I worked at was very organized. Coworkers are very pleasant to work with, and the whole environment was friendly and outgoing. Overall, the work experience was great.
Enjoyable place to work
Sr. Scientific Glassblower (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Repairing teaching lab glassware regularly. Constructing new lab glassware along with research glassware. Great working with co-workers and students in helping them come up with ideas needed for specific glassware to accommodate their research needs.
Awful
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
Treat employees awful and are just another nurse
No support at all when teaching
Students not trained well
Placement coordinator Kim is not accommodating at all Ashe is not caring at all just a number
Pros
Money
Cons
Awful work environment
great place
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
overall good place to start . typical day was filled with lots of activities and there is a good support system to rely on............................
productive
Call centre representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2016
The day at work isn't very stressful. I learnt how to help customers solve their problems be calm with them and understanding.The management is very good and well organized. My co-workers were the best people i ever worked with in my first experience of work. I enjoyed every moment at work cause i love communicating with people.
Pros
45 minutes break
Great
Academic Researcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
Fun place to work. Did research. Loved the people who also did research and most professors are great to work with. Not really a fan of hoping for new contract work and funding once every year or two.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Contract work in research
Excellent employer and numerous opportunities for advancement
CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT TO THE AVP (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2016
I enjoy working with knowledgeable and professional staff. This work environment supports a work and home life balance. I love the variety of staff and students I get to encounter on a day to day basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Manitoba Reviews by Location