University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

a place where you can get your research done
Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2015
graduate students work towards getting their degree while still making events to include others. There are classes to go to that are taught by people working in the same field
Pros
flexlible work environement
Cons
student pay
Stable workplace with good benefits
Information Technologist 3 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 12, 2013
Overall working at the University of Manitoba is a good experience. The staff are generally friendly and the students are eager to learn. The employees have good benefits and the vacation allowance for the year is generous.

The university's bureaucracy is a bit stifling. Paperwork is often done on paper, but there has been a push to move to computers over the last few years in items that affect payroll and HR.

Salaries for many positions are good, but are low in the IT field.
Pros
great people, important work
Cons
very bureaucratic
Productive Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 28, 2015
Very enjoyable work. Gained valuable work experience and developed effective skills in critical thinking, problem solving and public speaking.
Lively with lots to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 6, 2012
It was a wonderful experience as I worked on a topic related to aging. The supervisor was very helpful and I learnt various laboratory skills. The hardest part of the job was to perform assays using outdated devices. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet the world renowned scientists and learn about their ongoing research. The management was very good except the replacement of the damaged devices always took very long.
Pros
on campus location
Cons
had to work overtime without getting paid for it
great place and environment
General Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 12, 2014
-meet student, book appointment with student adviser and coordinator
-answer call phone , email response
-word, power point, outlook, excel
-take a minutes

very friendly environment, co-workers happy to help you any time

the hardest part of the job is a take a minutes

the most enjoyable part - work at the U of MB
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 4, 2012
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only work between 8:20-4:30
fun place to learn
Volunteer Language Exchange Program (Current Employee) –  ICSOctober 28, 2014
volunteering to teach international students to speak English and learning about other cultures.
i learn Chinese and how to be a better leader.
supervised
people wit similar goals
have not found one yet
i learn something new everyday
Pros
i have interculturaly relations
Cons
i have less free time
Part-time job in the university.
Lab Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2014
I had the opportunity to work as a lab assistant in the University of Manitoba in the education department. The position contained routine activities such as cleaning of equipment and handling inventory. In this specific position no advancement or learning opportunities were available.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
routine tasks. no growth opportunities.
Research on available cadmium in soils received different levels of P-fertilizers
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Soil ScienceAugust 17, 2012
I start my work at 8:30 Am at Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba and based on my lab works it continues even after 4:30 Pm. My work environment is very friendly. My work is a very good experience for me because I do think I am working on a project directly dealing with environmental and agricultural problems. In the Department every thing is based on a very well organized schedule. My boss and coworkers are so helpful in need. The hardest part of my job is to work with very dangerous materials such as strong acids and poisonous chemicals that need to be handled very carefully. However, working with knowledgeable professors and other staff make me happy and energetic during my work hours.
Complex Place
Architectural Technologist and Designer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 19, 2014
Working mostly on renovations (Laboratories, Classrooms, Reception Desks, Offices)
• Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary
• Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
• Prepare cost estimates, contracts, bidding documents and technical reports for specific projects
• Preparing interior design schedules and furniture layouts
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
Pros
good pay
Cons
no structure
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 12, 2014
University of Manitoba, offers good salary and benefits. All employees (full time or under contract for 1yr or more) are entitled to 3weeks vacation. They encouraged employees to study for upgrade that will help employees develop their skills.
Sometimes stressful but overall enjoyable Workplace
Academic Grader/ Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2012
The University of Manitoba provided a good work environment that fostered relationships with both Co-Workers as well as with Students. A typical day at work involved grading different test, and assignments as given by the instructor. Providing comments and entering grades in the appropriate grading system. Consulting with instructors from time to time to discuss course grades.

The most difficult part of the job was the sometimes high volumes of work with very tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was providing feedback to Students to aid them in achieving success.
Pros
enivironment
Cons
high volumes of work with very tight deadlines
University of Manitoba is a very good university
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 14, 2013
I work in the lab from 8 am to 5pm everyday. I learned how to think in scientific way and how to design experiment. Besides the scientific skills I learned, I also learned how to present my works in front of other researches and how to communicate with my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor and co-workers are all very helpful. They not only teach me some technologies, but also give me some good advise of my project. The hardest part of the job is experiments not always go well, and sometimes I just cannot get the results I expected. However, I like those challenges and enjoy the efforts i put for reach my objective everyday.
Interesting workplace and enjoyed varied tasks
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaFebruary 27, 2015
I enjoyed working in a medical, educational and research environment. I felt part of a team and enjoyed working alone or with others on tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks and the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was when I was layed off and a few other people were also layed off.
Pros
weekdays, weekends off
Cons
layed off
nice to work
technician (Former Employee) –  winnipeg manitobaAugust 2, 2012
good place to work , and i could say best place to learned ..
the best training for my career ,
but this is just a placement job , if the department has no budget no work , no money , this is just a good place to look a working experience , ,
Pros
good place to look for an experience
Cons
non
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 31, 2014
Good research environment. I have learned so many new research techniques. Management is very good here. I am enjoying to work with co workers.
The University of Manitoba was a great work place for my entire career
Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2012
Very busy environment, and required the ability to be organized and remain in direct contact with all staff and the University community. I was fortunate to have staff who were reliable, and willing to assist in creating a positive work place. The most difficult aspect of this position was maintaining a high level of job completions, as it was very busy at all times. Keeping on top of deadlines, and being productive was satisfying.
Pros
i was fortunate to work at the university and have a long careeer n that area.
Cons
very busy environment and could be stressful meeting deadlines.
no rush, part time job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2014
work day: depends
what I learn:Drafting CAD drawing
management: none
co-workers:none
hardest part of the job: none.
the most enjoyable part of the job: finished the drawing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MBJanuary 3, 2013
Good co-workers and excellent work environment. Will be exposed to multi cultural scenarios, international contacts.
Pros
multi cultural, international exposure
Cons
periodic long hours of work
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.

4.2