University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

a place where you can get your research done
Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 October 2015
graduate students work towards getting their degree while still making events to include others. There are classes to go to that are taught by people working in the same field
Pros
flexlible work environement
Cons
student pay
Masters Life
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 October 2015
University of Manitoba is one of the oldest and biggest universities in the Western Canada. The work environment is very friendly. My supervisor is an awesome person who provides me help when I face some problem even outside university life. One of the best workplaces I have ever had
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Stressful thesis
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
overall good place to work
Fitness Employee (Current Employee) –  Frank Kennedy/ALC12 October 2015
Good place, generally good people to work with. I found that there were some limitations for advancement, however this does seem to be slowly being addressed with the introduction of the new Active Living Center.
Productive Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2015
Very enjoyable work. Gained valuable work experience and developed effective skills in critical thinking, problem solving and public speaking.
We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2015
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some co-workers were bullies
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 August 2015
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Interesting workplace and enjoyed varied tasks
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba27 February 2015
I enjoyed working in a medical, educational and research environment. I felt part of a team and enjoyed working alone or with others on tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks and the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was when I was layed off and a few other people were also layed off.
Pros
Weekdays, Weekends off
Cons
Layed off
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 February 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.
Overall, a great project to work on and to use my experiences! Gained an extended experience from project coordination to data collection & analysis.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 December 2014
Day start with checking emails and replying. Then move to research based work, for example, report writing, data collection and management, and data analysis. This depends on the priority of the work and/or deadlines. Everyday coordination also involved.

Learned about the job expectation of a research coordinator.

Management and co-workers are helpful. A nice team to work with!

Hardest part of the job is that some times admin work took a sufficient amount of time from the research work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the team, opportunities to improve clients life, scope of working independently, and overall, the project itself.
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 October 2014
Good research environment. I have learned so many new research techniques. Management is very good here. I am enjoying to work with co workers.
fun place to learn
Volunteer Language Exchange Program (Current Employee) –  ICS28 October 2014
volunteering to teach international students to speak English and learning about other cultures.
i learn Chinese and how to be a better leader.
supervised
people wit similar goals
have not found one yet
i learn something new everyday
Pros
i have interculturaly relations
Cons
i have less free time
great place and environment
General Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg12 September 2014
-meet student, book appointment with student adviser and coordinator
-answer call phone , email response
-word, power point, outlook, excel
-take a minutes

very friendly environment, co-workers happy to help you any time

the hardest part of the job is a take a minutes

the most enjoyable part - work at the U of MB
Pros
co-workers
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2014
University of Manitoba, offers good salary and benefits. All employees (full time or under contract for 1yr or more) are entitled to 3weeks vacation. They encouraged employees to study for upgrade that will help employees develop their skills.
Complex Place
Architectural Technologist and Designer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 June 2014
Working mostly on renovations (Laboratories, Classrooms, Reception Desks, Offices)
• Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary
• Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
• Prepare cost estimates, contracts, bidding documents and technical reports for specific projects
• Preparing interior design schedules and furniture layouts
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
Pros
good pay
Cons
no structure
u of m
Assistant Store Trainer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 May 2014
good place to work. rrsps. many different job titles to go for. no room for advancement
stressful but managable
Family Medicine Residency Program (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg MB9 May 2014
Round on patients in the morning then see Out patient Clinic
Part-time job in the university.
Lab Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2014
I had the opportunity to work as a lab assistant in the University of Manitoba in the education department. The position contained routine activities such as cleaning of equipment and handling inventory. In this specific position no advancement or learning opportunities were available.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Routine tasks. No growth opportunities.
no rush, part time job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 February 2014
work day: depends
what I learn:Drafting CAD drawing
management: none
co-workers:none
hardest part of the job: none.
the most enjoyable part of the job: finished the drawing
A very good company to learn advanced measurement technologies in fluid dynamics
Doctoral Student, Graduate TA and RA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2014
Had good opportunity to do lot of measurements and learn about experimental fluid dynamics

4.2