University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Great place!
Educational Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 January 2017
Worked with some of the most talented people ever! Great benefits, the gym is incredible and a really comforting environment. Would definitely recommend working there!
Pros
Great pay, Good People, Perks
Great
Academic Researcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
Fun place to work. Did research. Loved the people who also did research and most professors are great to work with. Not really a fan of hoping for new contract work and funding once every year or two.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Contract work in research
not to bad of a place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2016
a a veteran of the culinary Industry I wanted a job with consistent hours Monday to Friday days If you stay long enough you can get a comfortable job posting.they bureaucratic paper work demands can be a little testing at times but it is necessary working with a huge company managing kitchens world wide.
Pros
good hours fair pay unionized benifits
Cons
no outlet for creativity.
productive
Call centre representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2016
The day at work isn't very stressful. I learnt how to help customers solve their problems be calm with them and understanding.The management is very good and well organized. My co-workers were the best people i ever worked with in my first experience of work. I enjoyed every moment at work cause i love communicating with people.
Pros
45 minutes break
Enjoyable work environment
Summer Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  120 dafoe road10 January 2017
Manager and Supervisor were amiable and had good attitude when giving directions as to how they expected the work to be done.

Co-workers were helpful, hard working and a joy to work with.
Pros
day off in the week
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyable place to work
Sr. Scientific Glassblower (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Repairing teaching lab glassware regularly. Constructing new lab glassware along with research glassware. Great working with co-workers and students in helping them come up with ideas needed for specific glassware to accommodate their research needs.
Great research experience
Student, Summer research assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
The location I worked at was very organized. Coworkers are very pleasant to work with, and the whole environment was friendly and outgoing. Overall, the work experience was great.
Productive workplace to come to everyday
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2017
I enjoy coming to the Lab everyday because i learn new things from other member. It has been a wonderful experience and I encourage others to take advantage of it
Awful
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
Treat employees awful and are just another nurse
No support at all when teaching
Students not trained well
Placement coordinator Kim is not accommodating at all Ashe is not caring at all just a number
Pros
Money
Cons
Awful work environment
great place
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
overall good place to start . typical day was filled with lots of activities and there is a good support system to rely on............................
It was a great opportunity to be working with the university.
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2016
My daily routine was entering data in a specialized software, monitor contractor registration at Outlook and creating certificates and stickers for the orientation every week. People were great and accommodating, helpful and easy to work with. I always wanted to learn new tasks in a job that makes me feel more motivated and productive.
Excellent employer and numerous opportunities for advancement
CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT TO THE AVP (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2016
I enjoy working with knowledgeable and professional staff. This work environment supports a work and home life balance. I love the variety of staff and students I get to encounter on a day to day basis.
Great place to work as a Student
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2016
As part of the Joe Doupe Recreation Center team, you will quickly realize how tight-knit the community is down here. You create and are able to maintain great relationships with clients and everyone is generally happy to be a part of this recreation center. As a student, you are able to create the hours that best suit a work-life-school balance.
We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2015
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some co-workers were bullies
Participation in esteemed research into teaching Autistic people appreciated
Research Subject (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2012
Participation in the honorarium research subject position engages me in the educational side of life for those who are developmentally challenged. From a career development point of view it helps me to acknowledge that everybody is coming from their own set of abilities and limitations.
Pros
honorarium
Cons
lots of work for little compensation and no clear career connection
Stable workplace with good benefits
Information Technologist 3 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 December 2013
Overall working at the University of Manitoba is a good experience. The staff are generally friendly and the students are eager to learn. The employees have good benefits and the vacation allowance for the year is generous.

The university's bureaucracy is a bit stifling. Paperwork is often done on paper, but there has been a push to move to computers over the last few years in items that affect payroll and HR.

Salaries for many positions are good, but are low in the IT field.
Pros
Great people, important work
Cons
Very bureaucratic
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 January 2016
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
Pros
Diverse Culture
Cons
Wake up too early
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg4 February 2012
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only work between 8:20-4:30
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2016
I Loved my time at UofM physical plan, it was a great environment to be working at. I learned a lot from the journeymen there awesome management and awesome co-workers
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2014
University of Manitoba, offers good salary and benefits. All employees (full time or under contract for 1yr or more) are entitled to 3weeks vacation. They encouraged employees to study for upgrade that will help employees develop their skills.

4.2