University of Manitoba Employee Reviews in Canada

We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2015
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some co-workers were bullies
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
Pros
Diverse Culture
Cons
Wake up too early
warm, welcoming, interactive environment
research assistant (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 18, 2015
Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills.
I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.
Pros
Regular Workshops
Cons
not to bad of a place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2016
a a veteran of the culinary Industry I wanted a job with consistent hours Monday to Friday days If you stay long enough you can get a comfortable job posting.they bureaucratic paper work demands can be a little testing at times but it is necessary working with a huge company managing kitchens world wide.
Pros
good hours fair pay unionized benifits
Cons
no outlet for creativity.
Large corperation. Excellent staff in my department but hard to get things done in the grander scale.
Teaching Assistant (Theatre Department) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 10, 2016
The job I had is fairly easy and exciting and my coworkers are fantastic. It helped me develop a ton of skills that I enjoy utilizing on a daily basis. The hardest part is simply dealing with the University's odd bureaucracy.
Oustanding workpolace for learning and enhancing professional skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 11, 2016
A typical day or work is a sum of infinite opportunities for learning with a wide range of opportunities to network with people with a great variety of interests.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 18, 2016
I Loved my time at UofM physical plan, it was a great environment to be working at. I learned a lot from the journeymen there awesome management and awesome co-workers
Assistant Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2015
Everyday as research assistant is fun because I get to learn new things also I improve in my programming skills daily. My co-worker are the best guys because we understand that together we achieve more (TEAM).
The management is well organized. Also accessibility to the management is very welcoming.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Best place for graduate students to work in
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
I have a wonderful experience always working with professors and other staff at university because not only they are compassionate towards you but understand all your needs as a student and as a role of teaching assistant. You can easily learn all the professionalism of the job while in a relaxed manner.
Pros
Great pay and lot to learn
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 15, 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
overall good place to work
Fitness Employee (Current Employee) –  Frank Kennedy/ALCOctober 12, 2015
Good place, generally good people to work with. I found that there were some limitations for advancement, however this does seem to be slowly being addressed with the introduction of the new Active Living Center.
a very good experience
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
My daily work is to carry out the experiments on asthma and maintein the lab.
My co-workers are awesome. They helped me a lot.
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Masters Life
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 18, 2015
University of Manitoba is one of the oldest and biggest universities in the Western Canada. The work environment is very friendly. My supervisor is an awesome person who provides me help when I face some problem even outside university life. One of the best workplaces I have ever had
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Stressful thesis
Participation in esteemed research into teaching Autistic people appreciated
Research Subject (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2012
Participation in the honorarium research subject position engages me in the educational side of life for those who are developmentally challenged. From a career development point of view it helps me to acknowledge that everybody is coming from their own set of abilities and limitations.
Pros
honorarium
Cons
lots of work for little compensation and no clear career connection
Stable workplace with good benefits
Information Technologist 3 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 12, 2013
Overall working at the University of Manitoba is a good experience. The staff are generally friendly and the students are eager to learn. The employees have good benefits and the vacation allowance for the year is generous.

The university's bureaucracy is a bit stifling. Paperwork is often done on paper, but there has been a push to move to computers over the last few years in items that affect payroll and HR.

Salaries for many positions are good, but are low in the IT field.
Pros
great people, important work
Cons
very bureaucratic
a place where you can get your research done
Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2015
graduate students work towards getting their degree while still making events to include others. There are classes to go to that are taught by people working in the same field
Pros
flexlible work environement
Cons
student pay
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 4, 2012
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only work between 8:20-4:30
Productive Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 28, 2015
Very enjoyable work. Gained valuable work experience and developed effective skills in critical thinking, problem solving and public speaking.
Overall, a great project to work on and to use my experiences! Gained an extended experience from project coordination to data collection & analysis.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2014
Day start with checking emails and replying. Then move to research based work, for example, report writing, data collection and management, and data analysis. This depends on the priority of the work and/or deadlines. Everyday coordination also involved.

Learned about the job expectation of a research coordinator.

Management and co-workers are helpful. A nice team to work with!

Hardest part of the job is that some times admin work took a sufficient amount of time from the research work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the team, opportunities to improve clients life, scope of working independently, and overall, the project itself.

4.2