University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Staff & physical environment is good; Senior Mgmt is poor
Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2017
Constant union-busting, budget restraints, and outsourcing make the U of M far less lucrative an employer than in the past. Staff and facilities are very good.
fun place to work
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2017
Working at the university was a really fun place to work. It had it's up's and down's. With absolutely no communication what so ever from the higher up's lots of things were a disaster. But with the awesome employees working there, job's got done, the stress was minimal and the days went by quick.
Pros
awesome people
Cons
a minimal amount of communication
Dance rooms in the Active Living Centre and Powwow Club program
Powwow Club Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 March 2017
Although it is quite small, the dance room I teach in, located in the active living centre is a great necessity for the type of dance I teach. It allows me to perform to the best of my ability and my students learn in a more efficient way. The powwow club program offered at the University of Manitoba is a great way for youth and adults to learn the Aboriginal culture and dance.
Pros
Mirrors, fan, music, aux input, windows, chairs, shelves for belongings, railings, white board, free lunch with program
Cons
Small
Very organised work place. Professional and interesting environment
Human Resources Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
This was a three month temp position covering for an ill worker. Very professional environment with potential for development and growth in my field. Would love a full time position if opportunity arises.
Pros
No freebies but good eats and coffee
Cons
Very controlled environment due to unionised workforce
Very professional, friendly environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
Everyday, I work with Students, and University staff. It's a leaning place. I meet new people every year, from all over the world. We have a very nice Gym, I use it everyday.
The best place I worked
UTILITY CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2017
Good benefits, Has a chance for advancement, Very polite, professional and respectful staffs to work with. Good pay. Good management, Always have a free lunch for all the staffs. Best teamwork and very supportive staffs.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bust days and needs to work nights
Productive workplace to come to everyday
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2017
I enjoy coming to the Lab everyday because i learn new things from other member. It has been a wonderful experience and I encourage others to take advantage of it
Great place!
Educational Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 January 2017
Worked with some of the most talented people ever! Great benefits, the gym is incredible and a really comforting environment. Would definitely recommend working there!
Pros
Great pay, Good People, Perks
Enjoyable work environment
Summer Student Caretaker (Former Employee) –  120 dafoe road10 January 2017
Manager and Supervisor were amiable and had good attitude when giving directions as to how they expected the work to be done.

Co-workers were helpful, hard working and a joy to work with.
Pros
day off in the week
Cons
short breaks
Great research experience
Student, Summer research assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
The location I worked at was very organized. Coworkers are very pleasant to work with, and the whole environment was friendly and outgoing. Overall, the work experience was great.
Enjoyable place to work
Sr. Scientific Glassblower (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Repairing teaching lab glassware regularly. Constructing new lab glassware along with research glassware. Great working with co-workers and students in helping them come up with ideas needed for specific glassware to accommodate their research needs.
Awful
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
Treat employees awful and are just another nurse
No support at all when teaching
Students not trained well
Placement coordinator Kim is not accommodating at all Ashe is not caring at all just a number
Pros
Money
Cons
Awful work environment
great place
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2016
overall good place to start . typical day was filled with lots of activities and there is a good support system to rely on............................
productive
Call centre representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2016
The day at work isn't very stressful. I learnt how to help customers solve their problems be calm with them and understanding.The management is very good and well organized. My co-workers were the best people i ever worked with in my first experience of work. I enjoyed every moment at work cause i love communicating with people.
Pros
45 minutes break
Great
Academic Researcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
Fun place to work. Did research. Loved the people who also did research and most professors are great to work with. Not really a fan of hoping for new contract work and funding once every year or two.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Contract work in research
Excellent employer and numerous opportunities for advancement
CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT TO THE AVP (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2016
I enjoy working with knowledgeable and professional staff. This work environment supports a work and home life balance. I love the variety of staff and students I get to encounter on a day to day basis.
It was a great opportunity to be working with the university.
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2016
My daily routine was entering data in a specialized software, monitor contractor registration at Outlook and creating certificates and stickers for the orientation every week. People were great and accommodating, helpful and easy to work with. I always wanted to learn new tasks in a job that makes me feel more motivated and productive.
Great place to work as a Student
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2016
As part of the Joe Doupe Recreation Center team, you will quickly realize how tight-knit the community is down here. You create and are able to maintain great relationships with clients and everyone is generally happy to be a part of this recreation center. As a student, you are able to create the hours that best suit a work-life-school balance.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2016
I Loved my time at UofM physical plan, it was a great environment to be working at. I learned a lot from the journeymen there awesome management and awesome co-workers
not to bad of a place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2016
a a veteran of the culinary Industry I wanted a job with consistent hours Monday to Friday days If you stay long enough you can get a comfortable job posting.they bureaucratic paper work demands can be a little testing at times but it is necessary working with a huge company managing kitchens world wide.
Pros
good hours fair pay unionized benifits
Cons
no outlet for creativity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2