University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

A Job I Will Never Forget
Paid Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
As a paid research assistant and full time honours student, I would work in the lab (as a research assistant) after class and on weekends. Although it was hectic, the graduate students I worked under were very knowledgeable and I learned a great deal.

I really enjoyed collaborating with other students on projects, but also enjoyed the responsibility and independence. Once tasks were delegated, I was free to do my own work and ask questions when necessary. The other undergraduate students (co-workers) were wonderful passionate people with a drive to succeed. I really never had any issues with anyone that I worked with in the lab.

I would say the most difficult part of the job was sometimes too much independence. Without any training I would be tossed into a situation and be expected to figure it out (which can be stressful). However, from such experiences, I learned how resourceful I can be and became a more competent and capable individual because of it.

Overall, I would say the most enjoyable part of the job ended up being the required growth and responsibility that was given to me. I learned a lot about adapting, problem solving and thinking critically which I consider very valuable lessons. Other than that, it was the people; when you work in an environment in which people respect you and trust you to get things done, you are motivated to do the best you can.
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
Pros
Diverse Culture
Cons
Wake up too early
Overall, a great project to work on and to use my experiences! Gained an extended experience from project coordination to data collection & analysis.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2014
Day start with checking emails and replying. Then move to research based work, for example, report writing, data collection and management, and data analysis. This depends on the priority of the work and/or deadlines. Everyday coordination also involved.

Learned about the job expectation of a research coordinator.

Management and co-workers are helpful. A nice team to work with!

Hardest part of the job is that some times admin work took a sufficient amount of time from the research work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the team, opportunities to improve clients life, scope of working independently, and overall, the project itself.
Research on available cadmium in soils received different levels of P-fertilizers
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Soil ScienceAugust 17, 2012
I start my work at 8:30 Am at Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba and based on my lab works it continues even after 4:30 Pm. My work environment is very friendly. My work is a very good experience for me because I do think I am working on a project directly dealing with environmental and agricultural problems. In the Department every thing is based on a very well organized schedule. My boss and coworkers are so helpful in need. The hardest part of my job is to work with very dangerous materials such as strong acids and poisonous chemicals that need to be handled very carefully. However, working with knowledgeable professors and other staff make me happy and energetic during my work hours.
Sometimes stressful but overall enjoyable Workplace
Academic Grader/ Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2012
The University of Manitoba provided a good work environment that fostered relationships with both Co-Workers as well as with Students. A typical day at work involved grading different test, and assignments as given by the instructor. Providing comments and entering grades in the appropriate grading system. Consulting with instructors from time to time to discuss course grades.

The most difficult part of the job was the sometimes high volumes of work with very tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was providing feedback to Students to aid them in achieving success.
Pros
enivironment
Cons
high volumes of work with very tight deadlines
Complex Place
Architectural Technologist and Designer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 19, 2014
Working mostly on renovations (Laboratories, Classrooms, Reception Desks, Offices)
• Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary
• Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
• Prepare cost estimates, contracts, bidding documents and technical reports for specific projects
• Preparing interior design schedules and furniture layouts
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
Pros
good pay
Cons
no structure
University of Manitoba is a very good university
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 14, 2013
I work in the lab from 8 am to 5pm everyday. I learned how to think in scientific way and how to design experiment. Besides the scientific skills I learned, I also learned how to present my works in front of other researches and how to communicate with my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor and co-workers are all very helpful. They not only teach me some technologies, but also give me some good advise of my project. The hardest part of the job is experiments not always go well, and sometimes I just cannot get the results I expected. However, I like those challenges and enjoy the efforts i put for reach my objective everyday.
The University of Manitoba was a great work place for my entire career
Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2012
Very busy environment, and required the ability to be organized and remain in direct contact with all staff and the University community. I was fortunate to have staff who were reliable, and willing to assist in creating a positive work place. The most difficult aspect of this position was maintaining a high level of job completions, as it was very busy at all times. Keeping on top of deadlines, and being productive was satisfying.
Pros
i was fortunate to work at the university and have a long careeer n that area.
Cons
very busy environment and could be stressful meeting deadlines.
warm, welcoming, interactive environment
research assistant (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 18, 2015
Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills.
I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.
Pros
Regular Workshops
Cons
Lively with lots to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 6, 2012
It was a wonderful experience as I worked on a topic related to aging. The supervisor was very helpful and I learnt various laboratory skills. The hardest part of the job was to perform assays using outdated devices. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet the world renowned scientists and learn about their ongoing research. The management was very good except the replacement of the damaged devices always took very long.
Pros
on campus location
Cons
had to work overtime without getting paid for it
Participation in esteemed research into teaching Autistic people appreciated
Research Subject (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2012
Participation in the honorarium research subject position engages me in the educational side of life for those who are developmentally challenged. From a career development point of view it helps me to acknowledge that everybody is coming from their own set of abilities and limitations.
Pros
honorarium
Cons
lots of work for little compensation and no clear career connection
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 15, 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 4, 2012
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only work between 8:20-4:30
Interesting workplace and enjoyed varied tasks
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaFebruary 27, 2015
I enjoyed working in a medical, educational and research environment. I felt part of a team and enjoyed working alone or with others on tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks and the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was when I was layed off and a few other people were also layed off.
Pros
weekdays, weekends off
Cons
layed off
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.
Part-time job in the university.
Lab Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2014
I had the opportunity to work as a lab assistant in the University of Manitoba in the education department. The position contained routine activities such as cleaning of equipment and handling inventory. In this specific position no advancement or learning opportunities were available.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
routine tasks. no growth opportunities.
Best place for graduate students to work in
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
I have a wonderful experience always working with professors and other staff at university because not only they are compassionate towards you but understand all your needs as a student and as a role of teaching assistant. You can easily learn all the professionalism of the job while in a relaxed manner.
Pros
Great pay and lot to learn
great place and environment
General Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 12, 2014
-meet student, book appointment with student adviser and coordinator
-answer call phone , email response
-word, power point, outlook, excel
-take a minutes

very friendly environment, co-workers happy to help you any time

the hardest part of the job is a take a minutes

the most enjoyable part - work at the U of MB
Pros
co-workers
friendly working environment
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2013
teaching, enjoy collaborative work in students' projects.
Researching in Educational Gaming Design and ICT integration in Education.
the hardest part of my job is when i am late with some tasks.
I enjoy completing any software development assignment.
Pros
participated and presented papers in forums
Cons
distraction during working hours

4.2