University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

It was a great opportunity to be working with the university.
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2016
My daily routine was entering data in a specialized software, monitor contractor registration at Outlook and creating certificates and stickers for the orientation every week. People were great and accommodating, helpful and easy to work with. I always wanted to learn new tasks in a job that makes me feel more motivated and productive.
productive
Call centre representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 8, 2016
The day at work isn't very stressful. I learnt how to help customers solve their problems be calm with them and understanding.The management is very good and well organized. My co-workers were the best people i ever worked with in my first experience of work. I enjoyed every moment at work cause i love communicating with people.
Pros
45 minutes break
Cons
Great place to work as a Student
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 24, 2016
As part of the Joe Doupe Recreation Center team, you will quickly realize how tight-knit the community is down here. You create and are able to maintain great relationships with clients and everyone is generally happy to be a part of this recreation center. As a student, you are able to create the hours that best suit a work-life-school balance.
Excellent employer and numerous opportunities for advancement
CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT TO THE AVP (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 19, 2016
I enjoy working with knowledgeable and professional staff. This work environment supports a work and home life balance. I love the variety of staff and students I get to encounter on a day to day basis.
not to bad of a place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2016
a a veteran of the culinary Industry I wanted a job with consistent hours Monday to Friday days If you stay long enough you can get a comfortable job posting.they bureaucratic paper work demands can be a little testing at times but it is necessary working with a huge company managing kitchens world wide.
Pros
good hours fair pay unionized benifits
Cons
no outlet for creativity.
Great
Academic Researcher (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 28, 2016
Fun place to work. Did research. Loved the people who also did research and most professors are great to work with. Not really a fan of hoping for new contract work and funding once every year or two.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Contract work in research
Large corperation. Excellent staff in my department but hard to get things done in the grander scale.
Teaching Assistant (Theatre Department) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 10, 2016
The job I had is fairly easy and exciting and my coworkers are fantastic. It helped me develop a ton of skills that I enjoy utilizing on a daily basis. The hardest part is simply dealing with the University's odd bureaucracy.
warm, welcoming, interactive environment
research assistant (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 18, 2015
Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills.
I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.
Pros
Regular Workshops
Cons
Oustanding workpolace for learning and enhancing professional skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 11, 2016
A typical day or work is a sum of infinite opportunities for learning with a wide range of opportunities to network with people with a great variety of interests.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 18, 2016
I Loved my time at UofM physical plan, it was a great environment to be working at. I learned a lot from the journeymen there awesome management and awesome co-workers
Best place for graduate students to work in
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
I have a wonderful experience always working with professors and other staff at university because not only they are compassionate towards you but understand all your needs as a student and as a role of teaching assistant. You can easily learn all the professionalism of the job while in a relaxed manner.
Pros
Great pay and lot to learn
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 15, 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
Assistant Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2015
Everyday as research assistant is fun because I get to learn new things also I improve in my programming skills daily. My co-worker are the best guys because we understand that together we achieve more (TEAM).
The management is well organized. Also accessibility to the management is very welcoming.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Masters Life
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 18, 2015
University of Manitoba is one of the oldest and biggest universities in the Western Canada. The work environment is very friendly. My supervisor is an awesome person who provides me help when I face some problem even outside university life. One of the best workplaces I have ever had
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Stressful thesis
a very good experience
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
My daily work is to carry out the experiments on asthma and maintein the lab.
My co-workers are awesome. They helped me a lot.
a place where you can get your research done
Master's Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2015
graduate students work towards getting their degree while still making events to include others. There are classes to go to that are taught by people working in the same field
Pros
flexlible work environement
Cons
student pay
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2015
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some co-workers were bullies
overall good place to work
Fitness Employee (Current Employee) –  Frank Kennedy/ALCOctober 12, 2015
Good place, generally good people to work with. I found that there were some limitations for advancement, however this does seem to be slowly being addressed with the introduction of the new Active Living Center.
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
Pros
Diverse Culture
Cons
Wake up too early

4.2