University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Diverse Culture
Cons: Wake up too early
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
Research on available cadmium in soils received different levels of P-fertilizers
Research assistant (Current Employee), Department of Soil ScienceAugust 17, 2012
I start my work at 8:30 Am at Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba and based on my lab works it continues even after 4:30 Pm. My work environment is very friendly. My work is a very good experience for me because I do think I am working on a project directly dealing with environmental and agricultural problems. In the Department every thing is based on a very well organized schedule. My boss and coworkers are so helpful in need. The hardest part of my job is to work with very dangerous materials such as strong acids and poisonous chemicals that need to be handled very carefully. However, working with knowledgeable professors and other staff make me happy and energetic during my work hours.
University of Manitoba is a very good university
PhD student (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 14, 2013
I work in the lab from 8 am to 5pm everyday. I learned how to think in scientific way and how to design experiment. Besides the scientific skills I learned, I also learned how to present my works in front of other researches and how to communicate with my supervisor and co-workers. My supervisor and co-workers are all very helpful. They not only teach me some technologies, but also give me some good advise of my project. The hardest part of the job is experiments not always go well, and sometimes I just cannot get the results I expected. However, I like those challenges and enjoy the efforts i put for reach my objective everyday.
Overall, a great project to work on and to use my experiences! Gained an extended experience from project coordination to data collection & analysis.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2014
Day start with checking emails and replying. Then move to research based work, for example, report writing, data collection and management, and data analysis. This depends on the priority of the work and/or deadlines. Everyday coordination also involved.

Learned about the job expectation of a research coordinator.

Management and co-workers are helpful. A nice team to work with!

Hardest part of the job is that some times admin work took a sufficient amount of time from the research work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the team, opportunities to improve clients life, scope of working independently, and overall, the project itself.
Complex Place
Architectural Technologist and Designer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 19, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no structure
Working mostly on renovations (Laboratories, Classrooms, Reception Desks, Offices)
• Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary
• Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software
• Prepare cost estimates, contracts, bidding documents and technical reports for specific projects
• Preparing interior design schedules and furniture layouts
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
Stable workplace with good benefits
Information Technologist 3 (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 12, 2013
Pros: great people, important work
Cons: very bureaucratic
Overall working at the University of Manitoba is a good experience. The staff are generally friendly and the students are eager to learn. The employees have good benefits and the vacation allowance for the year is generous.

The university's bureaucracy is a bit stifling. Paperwork is often done on paper, but there has been a push to move to computers over the last few years in items that affect payroll and HR.

Salaries for many positions are good, but are low in the IT field.
The University of Manitoba was a great work place for my entire career
Manager (Retired) (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 30, 2012
Pros: i was fortunate to work at the university and have a long careeer n that area.
Cons: very busy environment and could be stressful meeting deadlines.
Very busy environment, and required the ability to be organized and remain in direct contact with all staff and the University community. I was fortunate to have staff who were reliable, and willing to assist in creating a positive work place. The most difficult aspect of this position was maintaining a high level of job completions, as it was very busy at all times. Keeping on top of deadlines, and being productive was satisfying.
Sometimes stressful but overall enjoyable Workplace
Academic Grader/ Marker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2012
Pros: enivironment
Cons: high volumes of work with very tight deadlines
The University of Manitoba provided a good work environment that fostered relationships with both Co-Workers as well as with Students. A typical day at work involved grading different test, and assignments as given by the instructor. Providing comments and entering grades in the appropriate grading system. Consulting with instructors from time to time to discuss course grades.

The most difficult part of the job was the sometimes high volumes of work with very tight deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was providing feedback to Students to aid them in achieving success.
warm, welcoming, interactive environment
research assistant (Former Employee), CanadaDecember 18, 2015
Pros: Regular Workshops
Cons: None
Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills.
I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.
Lively with lots to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 6, 2012
Pros: on campus location
Cons: had to work overtime without getting paid for it
It was a wonderful experience as I worked on a topic related to aging. The supervisor was very helpful and I learnt various laboratory skills. The hardest part of the job was to perform assays using outdated devices. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet the world renowned scientists and learn about their ongoing research. The management was very good except the replacement of the damaged devices always took very long.
Lots of fun and dedication, plants are like babies
Student assistant (Current Employee), WinnipegFebruary 4, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: can only work between 8:20-4:30
Working for the university has many benefits. These include flexible hours and a boss who understands the hectic life of a student. I am responsible for bringing plants wheat from embryo stage to full maturity and then harvesting the seeds to be used by the plant genetic researchers. It is quite rewarding.
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Fun atmosphere
Cons: Long hours
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Best place for graduate students to work in
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
Pros: Great pay and lot to learn
I have a wonderful experience always working with professors and other staff at university because not only they are compassionate towards you but understand all your needs as a student and as a role of teaching assistant. You can easily learn all the professionalism of the job while in a relaxed manner.
Participation in esteemed research into teaching Autistic people appreciated
Research Subject (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2012
Pros: honorarium
Cons: lots of work for little compensation and no clear career connection
Participation in the honorarium research subject position engages me in the educational side of life for those who are developmentally challenged. From a career development point of view it helps me to acknowledge that everybody is coming from their own set of abilities and limitations.
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 15, 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
great place and environment
General Administrative assistant (Former Employee), WinnipegSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: long hours
-meet student, book appointment with student adviser and coordinator
-answer call phone , email response
-word, power point, outlook, excel
-take a minutes

very friendly environment, co-workers happy to help you any time

the hardest part of the job is a take a minutes

the most enjoyable part - work at the U of MB
We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: some co-workers were bullies
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Intellectually challenging working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 6, 2012
Pros: environment where you can learn more
Cons: lack of facilities to aid in turning drawing board ideas into reality
Typical day starts by listing what needs to be done. It can range from laboratory experiments, data analysis to report writing/editing. Priorities are given to the tasks of the day though.
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.
friendly working environment
Lecturer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2013
Pros: participated and presented papers in forums
Cons: distraction during working hours
teaching, enjoy collaborative work in students' projects.
Researching in Educational Gaming Design and ICT integration in Education.
the hardest part of my job is when i am late with some tasks.
I enjoy completing any software development assignment.