University of Manitoba Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
not to bad of a place to work
Cook (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2016
Pros: good hours fair pay unionized benifits
Cons: no outlet for creativity.
a a veteran of the culinary Industry I wanted a job with consistent hours Monday to Friday days If you stay long enough you can get a comfortable job posting.they bureaucratic paper work demands can be a little testing at times but it is necessary working with a huge company managing kitchens world wide.
Oustanding workpolace for learning and enhancing professional skills
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 11, 2016
A typical day or work is a sum of infinite opportunities for learning with a wide range of opportunities to network with people with a great variety of interests.
Large corperation. Excellent staff in my department but hard to get things done in the grander scale.
Teaching Assistant (Theatre Department) (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 10, 2016
The job I had is fairly easy and exciting and my coworkers are fantastic. It helped me develop a ton of skills that I enjoy utilizing on a daily basis. The hardest part is simply dealing with the University's odd bureaucracy.
Diverse and friendly place with interesting people
Caretaker (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Diverse Culture
Cons: Wake up too early
Being a caretaker is mainly lock and unlock the entrance of the building. Then I will sweep the floors and empty the garbage. Before class started, I would set up the classroom. Sometime I also do set up for some events, like gallery opening, exhibition, etc. During the class time, I will clean the washrooms and stairs. Then I will clean up the door and window.
From my experience, I have learnt another division of school. And I get to know all the staff that work for university is hard-working so that school can keep running. In addition, if you want to do something big, start from small things.
The management in university is really good. My supervisor is very considering. And he is really good at organizing. Sometimes when we lack of help, because people may take holiday or they are sick. He can always fix the problem and make arrangement easily.
My co-workers are all very friendly and helping. They are from different culture, so it is more like a big diverse family.
The hardest part of the job is that I have to wake up really early in the morning, around 4:30am.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the working environment and atmosphere on campus.
a very good experience
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 11, 2016
My daily work is to carry out the experiments on asthma and maintein the lab.
My co-workers are awesome. They helped me a lot.
warm, welcoming, interactive environment
research assistant (Former Employee), CanadaDecember 18, 2015
Pros: Regular Workshops
Cons: None
Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills.
I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.
Best place for graduate students to work in
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 21, 2015
Pros: Great pay and lot to learn
I have a wonderful experience always working with professors and other staff at university because not only they are compassionate towards you but understand all your needs as a student and as a role of teaching assistant. You can easily learn all the professionalism of the job while in a relaxed manner.
Assistant Consultant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours
Everyday as research assistant is fun because I get to learn new things also I improve in my programming skills daily. My co-worker are the best guys because we understand that together we achieve more (TEAM).
The management is well organized. Also accessibility to the management is very welcoming.
a place where you can get your research done
Master's Student (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2015
Pros: flexlible work environement
Cons: student pay
graduate students work towards getting their degree while still making events to include others. There are classes to go to that are taught by people working in the same field
Masters Life
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Friendly Environment
Cons: Stressful thesis
University of Manitoba is one of the oldest and biggest universities in the Western Canada. The work environment is very friendly. My supervisor is an awesome person who provides me help when I face some problem even outside university life. One of the best workplaces I have ever had
Friendly University Enviroment
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 15, 2015
As the first university established in western Canada, the University of Manitoba has been at the centre of research in Manitoba for more than a century. From the development of canola and advances in wireless communication, to the prevention of Rh disease of the newborn and breakthrough discoveries concerning the transmission of HIV/AIDS, our researchers have made contributions that have had a global impact.
overall good place to work
Fitness Employee (Current Employee), Frank Kennedy/ALCOctober 12, 2015
Good place, generally good people to work with. I found that there were some limitations for advancement, however this does seem to be slowly being addressed with the introduction of the new Active Living Center.
Productive Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 28, 2015
Very enjoyable work. Gained valuable work experience and developed effective skills in critical thinking, problem solving and public speaking.
We were attached to the hospital so are breaks were very interesting, lots of shopping.
Caretaker and office assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: some co-workers were bullies
I have not worked in over a year, I moved to Nanaimo, to help my daughter who has been ill.when I worked at the University as a caretaker, the day went by very quickly
Fun workplace with amazing co-workers
Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Fun atmosphere
Cons: Long hours
Before we start teaching the students the TA's always met 30 minutes prior to in the lab. We sometimes bring in food to share and eat in the lunch room and talk about our lives as university students. Most of us were in the same faculty so we had a lot in common an even were in the same classes together.
Interesting workplace and enjoyed varied tasks
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: weekdays, weekends off
Cons: layed off
I enjoyed working in a medical, educational and research environment. I felt part of a team and enjoyed working alone or with others on tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks and the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was when I was layed off and a few other people were also layed off.
Productive great place to work.
Program Administrator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work entails me completing schedules and administrative correspondence for 16 residents and 3 surgeons. I work with a great team who are very productive and supportive. The hardest part of my job is constant interruptions but I always get the job done. The best part of my job is working with a great team of doctors and residents.
Overall, a great project to work on and to use my experiences! Gained an extended experience from project coordination to data collection & analysis.
Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 10, 2014
Day start with checking emails and replying. Then move to research based work, for example, report writing, data collection and management, and data analysis. This depends on the priority of the work and/or deadlines. Everyday coordination also involved.

Learned about the job expectation of a research coordinator.

Management and co-workers are helpful. A nice team to work with!

Hardest part of the job is that some times admin work took a sufficient amount of time from the research work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is to work with the team, opportunities to improve clients life, scope of working independently, and overall, the project itself.
Productive and fun place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 31, 2014
Good research environment. I have learned so many new research techniques. Management is very good here. I am enjoying to work with co workers.
fun place to learn
Volunteer Language Exchange Program (Current Employee), ICSOctober 28, 2014
Pros: i have interculturaly relations
Cons: i have less free time
volunteering to teach international students to speak English and learning about other cultures.
i learn Chinese and how to be a better leader.
supervised
people wit similar goals
have not found one yet
i learn something new everyday
Links