University of Illinois Employee Reviews

wonderful
PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 11, 2016
I go out and enforce parking at the u of i. we are either the most hated or most loved department on the campus. With out us parking on campus would be a nightmare and most people don't see that. Management is good to work with. the hardest part is dealing with some people and the weather we enforce no matter what the elements are. Seeing the looks on people faces when we help them with a jump start or keys locked in there cars. When they find out it is free they are so excited.
Pros
the hours mon through friday 930 to 6 with weekends off
Cons
mean people and bad weather
A friendly workplace
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 2, 2016
It has a typical small college town aura: because of such a huge influx of foreign nationals in student body, in many cases, the UIUC is open to and friendly with non-American population. But its overall treatment of graduate students, in terms of teaching load and salary, reveals that the grad school is not an ideal place to commit yourself to research.
Relaxed work environment.
Visiting Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILSeptember 2, 2016
The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign provides excellent benefits and a relaxed work environment. However, the opportunity for both merit-based promotions and salary increases is limited, to the point of non-existence. Promotions are few and far between, and are based almost entirely on seniority.
Excellent opportunity for anyone willing to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 1, 2016
Although you spend much of your time deep inside large research facilities where human interaction might be minimal, you get a chance to work alongside some of the leading experts in their field and be a part of something that is much bigger than yourself. The faculty were professional, personable, and conscientious. The hardest part of the job would be performing at the standard of the institution, which is high. The best part of all this is, once you're finally able to relax, being able to look back and say "I did" instead of "I could have".
Pros
Learn from the greatest
Cons
Strenuous work weeks, extra hours put in to reach deadlines
Team players
Patient Care Evaluation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
I worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator. My typical day would include, greeting patients, consenting them to various studies. Perform study related duties, such as blood draws, ECG, vitals and whatever else the study required. Process blood, urine and other lab samples according to the protocols, for freezing, shipping etc
Interact with governing bodies such as IRB, pharmacy sponsors and contact workers. I worked among physicians, nurses, and other coordinators. What I LOVED most is that we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was negotiating the contracts.
Pros
travel
Cons
sometimes no lunch breaks
Great school with helpful faculty
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 17, 2016
Working for a year as lecturer of EALC 275 Masterpieces of East Asian Literature was a fantastic experience. I had worked as a TA for a year prior to being made head instructor, and that was a good experience in itself that taught me much about how to run a class. Communicating with department leadership to ensure that I was maintaining a high standard for the class was essential. I had great TAs, and I enjoyed every minute of teaching.
Post-doctoral Research Affiliate. Very friendly staff and faculty.
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 12, 2016
Post-doctoral Research Affiliate. Very friendly staff and faculty.I am currently working on Arab American literary reactions to the Arab Spring, and everyone at University of Illinois is making me feel very welcomed by cooperating and helping.
working with the public
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2016
doing different things as the hospital to help everyone get threw the day and showing that we care i love working with the people in my department my manger do a great job to keep things work related the patients look forward to seeing us because a lot of them be going threw a lot
Pros
free meals
Cons
no break room
Fun place to work in
Server (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working here because it allowed me to meet new people and interact with a lot of friends that I now have today. My co-workers were easy to work with and never caused any problems. Management was a bit hard on the employees, but they could also be nice too.
Pros
Meals, workers, hours
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work at but no,loyalty to employees classified as exempt.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2016
I should have moved on when I was younger when I learned of no job security being classified as an exempt employee in the university system..
Pros
Lots of good people around the work environment.
Cons
Exempt status provides no long term job security.
Among the few top choices for graduate school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 23, 2016
The research environment at the University of Illinois helps you grow as a qualified research, either for academia or industrial path after the graduate school.
poor job security
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
Human Resources perform illegal actions toward employees. Discriminatory actions against employees. Racist behavior and hiring practices.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Human Resource staff.
Challenging position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 18, 2016
A typical day consists of multi-tasking and being able to shift focus often. It offers challenge and diversity. I have been employed with the University of Illinois for 25 years. I am grateful to work at this Institution.
Productive and good workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 24, 2016
I learned how to manage time to time.I learned new technologies with innovative thinking.As this is a university ,good scope for learning and doing job.
Very friendly place
SQL Server Developer (Former Employee) –  Illinois City, ILJuly 21, 2016
Committed to diversity and team environment. Difficult to grow business under current plan. Managers ask for feedback, but little action taken.
Very nice, clean and orderly.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2016
Very nice, clean and orderly. Employees treat you like family. Very helpful environment. I was grateful to work around such lovely people.
University of Illinois Review
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 2, 2016
One of the reasons I chose to pursue other options is I don't get to work with that many people. I sit in an office, alone working on my computer. Which is good, but I still like to interact. I do enjoy all of the people I work with, I would just like to be able to be more out in the open.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Great Mathematics Program
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2016
Great graduate program, especially in pure math. Typically, most students have a TA-ship which allows them to teach courses while they are completing their coursework.
Unenjoyable
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL 61820June 14, 2016
Management is lackluster to say the least. Not veteran friendly, hypocritical of requirements to advance. Would not recommend working here
My Alma-mater
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2016
UIC is great environment for learning and growing together.
The team skills helped work in a smooth manner.Highly qualified staff was a plus.
It enabled me to hone my teaching skills as well

4.3