University of Illinois

University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Team players
Patient Care Evaluation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
I worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator. My typical day would include, greeting patients, consenting them to various studies. Perform study related duties, such as blood draws, ECG, vitals and whatever else the study required. Process blood, urine and other lab samples according to the protocols, for freezing, shipping etc
Interact with governing bodies such as IRB, pharmacy sponsors and contact workers. I worked among physicians, nurses, and other coordinators. What I LOVED most is that we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was negotiating the contracts.
Pros
travel
Cons
sometimes no lunch breaks
Great school with helpful faculty
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 17, 2016
Working for a year as lecturer of EALC 275 Masterpieces of East Asian Literature was a fantastic experience. I had worked as a TA for a year prior to being made head instructor, and that was a good experience in itself that taught me much about how to run a class. Communicating with department leadership to ensure that I was maintaining a high standard for the class was essential. I had great TAs, and I enjoyed every minute of teaching.
University of Illinois Review
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 2, 2016
One of the reasons I chose to pursue other options is I don't get to work with that many people. I sit in an office, alone working on my computer. Which is good, but I still like to interact. I do enjoy all of the people I work with, I would just like to be able to be more out in the open.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Good place to work at but no,loyalty to employees classified as exempt.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2016
I should have moved on when I was younger when I learned of no job security being classified as an exempt employee in the university system..
Pros
Lots of good people around the work environment.
Cons
Exempt status provides no long term job security.
Good jobs for students
Super User (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Great jobs available for students.
A lot of fun people to work with.
Management was laid back about assignments.
Presentation skills improved due to explaining and training other students on the proper use of the machinery.
Pros
had time to do homework on slow days
Cons
sometimes it would be packed and nonstop work
Excellent Work Life Balance
Sr. Windows Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 10, 2015
Great team of brilliant technical professionals, that run world class enterprise services and a CIO that pushes the tech community there to always strive to help IT drive the campus mission in Champaign-Urbana.
Pros
Work Life Balance is good, great learning environment and benefits
Cons
Very slow paced and could get into dead spells
Challenging position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 18, 2016
A typical day consists of multi-tasking and being able to shift focus often. It offers challenge and diversity. I have been employed with the University of Illinois for 25 years. I am grateful to work at this Institution.
Very good and recommended
Product Designer and Developer (Current Employee) –  Illinois Sustainable Technology CenterNovember 27, 2015
The University had a very good work environment. The supervision had a balance between hands-on and hands-off approach. There was good scope to grow and the compensation was good.

The co-workers were supportive and helpful. I learnt to work in teams and take responsibility. In addition, I learnt how to communicate with different types of people.
poor job security
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
Human Resources perform illegal actions toward employees. Discriminatory actions against employees. Racist behavior and hiring practices.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Human Resource staff.
One of the top engineering colleges in the nation for excellent researches
Research Assistant, Mechanical Lead (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 23, 2016
In the Power and Energy group in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department, I was surrounded by the top engineering minds in research and academic.
Couldve been 100% better
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
My review of UIC is not a bad one. My experience there was different. I ran all of the errands, which included but was not limited to depositing money into our account, picking up paychecks, ordering supplies, entering data entry, helping the other receptionist with coverage and other office projects. This Medical Education office assisted 25 faculty members with various daily projects such as copying, stapling, batching and sorting different lessons for their teachings.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
running errands that was not a part of my direct job, such as going with the other receptionist to JC Penney Outlet and pushing the cart
Learned a lot
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 8, 2016
I would rate University of Illinois 4 out of 5.
University has several options for International students on campus.
University has top notch faculty and research facilities. It helped me gain experience in my field of study.
nice people
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 16, 2016
a lot of kids , vibrant atmosphere , creative ideas floating around
it has been a fun place to work
professors are knowledgeable
fellow colleagues are from everywhere of the world
which is a nice thing.
Because you can learn so much
My Alma-mater
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2016
UIC is great environment for learning and growing together.
The team skills helped work in a smooth manner.Highly qualified staff was a plus.
It enabled me to hone my teaching skills as well
MCB Major and Empolyee
Waste Technician (Current Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 6, 2016
The department is great and filled with a lot of people who are all really amazing. Being a student and maintaining a job is difficult, but they really accommodate you.
Pros
Adjustable schedule, meet lots of people in the department
great atmosphere with wonderful new faces
Building Service worker (Current Employee) –  Champaign Urbana, IllinoisDecember 2, 2015
I loved working with the students and new faces but I had four floors of students to take care of which left no time to do a really great job that I would want done for my child.
Pros
Meeting new students of different ethic backgrounds
Cons
work load was alot for the amount of time given
Great Mathematics Program
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2016
Great graduate program, especially in pure math. Typically, most students have a TA-ship which allows them to teach courses while they are completing their coursework.
Excellent benefits. Lots of knowledge to gain.
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 13, 2016
There is too much craft jurisdiction/politicking going on. otherwise, good place to work. There are a lot of different opportunities for everyone.
Great source of learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 23, 2016
Working with UofI, I received an opportunity to learn, grow and utilize my skills the best way I can. Teammates, work environment and hours are very suitable and encouraging.
wonderful opportunity to learn new technologies
Graduate Assistant (Application Developer) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2016
Great work experience. Learn the working of an industry and challenges. Good compensation
Co-workers are friendly and helpful

4.3