University of Illinois

University of Illinois Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Just different
Snack bar Attendant (Former Employee), Champaign, ILApril 13, 2015
Meeting all different types of people and learning new things working in diff places and watch the football games sometimes
Encouraged huge intellectual growth and maturity
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Champaign, ILApril 8, 2015
Pros: constant learning, exciting, allowed for easy collaboration with others
Cons: long hours, competitive
Typical day:
Check emails, respond to emails, work on manuscript, carry out experiments, manage undergraduate employees, and prep for the lab section that I teach

What I learned:
I learned how hard I can push myself in order to achieve the goals that I want.

My co-workers:
Working with mainly foreign lab mates has given me a wider knowledge in how to communicate with people.

Hardest part of the job:

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Meeting new people and constant learning
Great work environment
Grad. Assistant (Current Employee), Springfield, ILApril 6, 2015
As a graduate assistant, I was responsible for assisting five teaching with running their classes. I did a lot of administrative work such as, entering grade and responding to student emails.
Great learning onthe job experience
Cafeteria Attendant (Former Employee), Urbana, ILApril 6, 2015
Work in the cafeteria, a great place to start your work experience. A general ideal of what is it like to work in a cafeteria. Great co-workers that help you learn onm the job.
Productive and Healthy work environment
Administrative Honors Fellow (Current Employee), Champaign, ILMarch 30, 2015
The University of Illinois College of Law is a very friendly work environment which makes for all employees to perform at their highest level.
na
Apartment Building Manager (Former Employee), chicagoMarch 4, 2015
I do not work at UIC. Nor have I ever worked at UIC. I live in the UIC community area and have experience with housing for the student population.
Graduate Assistant
Data Analyst (GA), IL, US (Former Employee), Champaign, ILFebruary 6, 2015
• At Survey Research Lab of U of Illinois, I provided on-demand data cleansing, plotting, and statistical analysis. These reports helped my manager in deciding how to proceed surveys.
• Some semesters, I was a teaching assistant for statistics, and macroeconomics.
Productive and fun
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
It was fun learning new things and trying out different things. Creative students and challenging questions to be answered. I would say it is a great learning experience.
Decent Internships
Department of Communication Research Assistant (Former Employee), Champaign, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great experience
Cons: no real compensation, little to no direction
I received class credit to do these internships, not monetary compensation. I got great experience in the fields that I wanted experience in, however for my public relationships internship there was little to no direction given.
A great environment
Maintenance and Landscape Laborer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2015
At this occupation a typical day required working outdoors in high temperatures in the sun I learned many things involving landscaping that I previously did not know the management was great they were very hands on and many times they would work with employees, my co-workers were diverse and very nice to work with the hardest part of the job would be the trash removal part other then that it was great the most enjoyable part is getting to know people outside your culture and learning about them and their culture and also the occupational environment being around college students makes you want to learn
great place to work, low pay
field research assistant (Former Employee), EBIJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: driving tractors and learning maitenence
Cons: low wages, no overtime
Enjoyed working for the university besides no overtime, a limit on how many hours can be worked. No health insurance and low pay.
Managed budget for a Conference
Finance Chair (Former Employee), Urbana, ILJanuary 8, 2015
This was a chair position that I participated in while in graduate school. I managed the budget for the Women and Gender History Symposium.
A job full of challenges and fun
Environmental Engineering Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 7, 2015
I assisted one of the most famous professors in our department in improving his remediation course by learning more advanced remediation technologies from scientific papers and textbooks, and summarizing them into simplified methods for future course lecture notes. This opportunity allowed me to improve my technical writing skills and organization skills, and proved my self-learning abilities.
Great Community
American Sign Language Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee), Champaign, ILDecember 28, 2014
My teaching experience here was great. I worked with experienced teachers who have helped me find my teaching methods. They shared ideas for effective teaching. Students were always great to teach and many come from all backgrounds. The most challenging portion of working there is trying change our program to meet the American Sign Language Teachers Association standards. Our department deserves better recognition and placement under a better college within the University. I believe there, we can flourish into a strong ASL program.
Tutoring is a great way to develop your communication skills
Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2014
Pros: work on campus, leisure to do your own research
Cons: pay, tutored based on contract so lots of variability in work schedule
Typical day:
A typical day would be listening to students then attempting to resolve their technical problems. Usually students would have the same kind of question or problem and so there can be some redundancy; however, rarely I would have unusual problems that even I had never seen before. To solve those kinds of problems would require the student giving me time alone then meeting me later that day or later in the week.

Hardest part of the job:
Occasionally there would be students that have forgotten or never learned the requisite material. I felt compassion for those students and would give them a crash course in using, for example, the Sandwich Theorem to solve a limit problem.
Written by a true Alumnus!
Graduate Assistant, Educational Leadership Program (Former Employee), Springfield, ILDecember 16, 2014
Pros: environment, job security, hours
Cons: small network, rural
There was nothing typical about a day on the campus of the University of Illinois. My journey began as I was awarded a full ride scholarship to attend. Upon arrival I hit the ground running as an editorial assistant for a local magazine, then writing full time for the campus paper and finally upon graduation being awarded an assistantship to graduate school, which is a job in the Education department. I learned how to become a great writer, editor, communicator, student, community activist and advocate. Management and coworkers were cool, an efficient environment but far more relaxed. The hardest part being an urban girl in a rural town. Writing about corn fields, electric lines and storms presents an interesting challenge when your goal is to increase readership. Most enjoyable was the relationships I created and the network of associates I forged.
Great place to work and attend school
Staff Associate/ Bridge-Transition Program/College (Former Employee), Urbana, ILDecember 12, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Attended undergrad and grad school at the U of I. Great benefits! Enjoyed meeting students and coworkers from different countries and ethnic groups. Husband is currently working there and he loves his job and working for the University. Supervisors were very understanding when time was needed for family emergencies.
Very well academic and research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Champaign, ILNovember 9, 2014
I appreciate the disciplined and rigorous academic and research environment in UIUC
Flexible work with my employees and fun!
Volunteer Information Processor (Former Employee), Champaign, ILOctober 24, 2014
I worked in professional clerical and office position. shared with my employees with this work. I am patience, kind, hard working and patience. Pleasure to work.
This is not a company
Research Associate, Plastic Surgery (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2014
This is not a companyThis is not a companyThis is not a companyThis is not a company

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Illinois

The University of Illinois is the state's best and most comprehensive public university. The three distinct campuses in Urbana-Champaign, – Read more