University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Among the few top choices for graduate school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 23, 2016
The research environment at the University of Illinois helps you grow as a qualified research, either for academia or industrial path after the graduate school.
Unenjoyable
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL 61820June 14, 2016
Management is lackluster to say the least. Not veteran friendly, hypocritical of requirements to advance. Would not recommend working here
Fun place to work in
Server (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working here because it allowed me to meet new people and interact with a lot of friends that I now have today. My co-workers were easy to work with and never caused any problems. Management was a bit hard on the employees, but they could also be nice too.
Pros
Meals, workers, hours
Cons
short breaks
Excellent opportunity for anyone willing to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 1, 2016
Although you spend much of your time deep inside large research facilities where human interaction might be minimal, you get a chance to work alongside some of the leading experts in their field and be a part of something that is much bigger than yourself. The faculty were professional, personable, and conscientious. The hardest part of the job would be performing at the standard of the institution, which is high. The best part of all this is, once you're finally able to relax, being able to look back and say "I did" instead of "I could have".
Pros
Learn from the greatest
Cons
Strenuous work weeks, extra hours put in to reach deadlines
working with the public
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2016
doing different things as the hospital to help everyone get threw the day and showing that we care i love working with the people in my department my manger do a great job to keep things work related the patients look forward to seeing us because a lot of them be going threw a lot
Pros
free meals
Cons
no break room
Useful for learning to lead a group
Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 24, 2016
Whenever I'd be called in to work, I'd arrive at the mandatory pre-exam meeting, discuss important information that may be needed to relay to students, and give input as to how to better manage the exams. From this, I learned how to maintain a group as well as keep them organized, and a sampling of how to lead. The management worked well most of the time, but sometimes there would be circumstances out of their control. This was never really an issue as far as I'm aware.

Coworkers were mostly useful, canvasing through the room of students with me to ensure that everyone was maintaining fairness and helping students when necessary. Sometimes, however, the coworkers I was assigned to for an exam ended up sitting in a corner and working on their laptops, often making it more difficult for the rest of us to watch over students taking the exam. This ended up being the most difficult part of the job, but to be fair, it didn't affect our abilities that much, and they were usually working in their own coursework too.

The best part of that job was helping the students out with understanding their questions. That helped me stay on my toes and remember my own education, as well as giving me a better perspective on how other people approached certain physics problems. And I don't deny that I felt pleasant being useful.
Great school with helpful faculty
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 17, 2016
Working for a year as lecturer of EALC 275 Masterpieces of East Asian Literature was a fantastic experience. I had worked as a TA for a year prior to being made head instructor, and that was a good experience in itself that taught me much about how to run a class. Communicating with department leadership to ensure that I was maintaining a high standard for the class was essential. I had great TAs, and I enjoyed every minute of teaching.
Team players
Patient Care Evaluation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
I worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator. My typical day would include, greeting patients, consenting them to various studies. Perform study related duties, such as blood draws, ECG, vitals and whatever else the study required. Process blood, urine and other lab samples according to the protocols, for freezing, shipping etc
Interact with governing bodies such as IRB, pharmacy sponsors and contact workers. I worked among physicians, nurses, and other coordinators. What I LOVED most is that we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was negotiating the contracts.
Pros
travel
Cons
sometimes no lunch breaks
poor job security
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
Human Resources perform illegal actions toward employees. Discriminatory actions against employees. Racist behavior and hiring practices.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Human Resource staff.
Great source of learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 23, 2016
Working with UofI, I received an opportunity to learn, grow and utilize my skills the best way I can. Teammates, work environment and hours are very suitable and encouraging.
Great Mathematics Program
Mathematics Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2016
Great graduate program, especially in pure math. Typically, most students have a TA-ship which allows them to teach courses while they are completing their coursework.
Good place to work at but no,loyalty to employees classified as exempt.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2016
I should have moved on when I was younger when I learned of no job security being classified as an exempt employee in the university system..
Pros
Lots of good people around the work environment.
Cons
Exempt status provides no long term job security.
great
Collection Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
a great organization to work for. fantastic work ethics. provides and encourages professional development and higher education.
Challenging position
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 18, 2016
A typical day consists of multi-tasking and being able to shift focus often. It offers challenge and diversity. I have been employed with the University of Illinois for 25 years. I am grateful to work at this Institution.
Excellent benefits. Lots of knowledge to gain.
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 13, 2016
There is too much craft jurisdiction/politicking going on. otherwise, good place to work. There are a lot of different opportunities for everyone.
My Alma-mater
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2016
UIC is great environment for learning and growing together.
The team skills helped work in a smooth manner.Highly qualified staff was a plus.
It enabled me to hone my teaching skills as well
Top university in engineering
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILMarch 6, 2016
Very good engineering school. A lot of resources available. Learned a lot from discussions with renowned professors and talented students here.
wonderful opportunity to learn new technologies
Graduate Assistant (Application Developer) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2016
Great work experience. Learn the working of an industry and challenges. Good compensation
Co-workers are friendly and helpful
One of the top engineering colleges in the nation for excellent researches
Research Assistant, Mechanical Lead (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 23, 2016
In the Power and Energy group in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department, I was surrounded by the top engineering minds in research and academic.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 16, 2016
This institution is a great place to work; I feel challenged each day. I currently teach undergraduate classes and conduct research with other graduate students and faculty.

4.3