University of Illinois Employee Reviews

in the middle of nowhere
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, IL19 June 2017
located at a very small town. School is really great but nothing else to do. Great research but too much politics. Constant stress of finding grants. great engineering school
It was a pleasant if somewhat stilted work environment, because I was temporary help.
Extra-Help Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, IL10 June 2017
Work day was not always busy. What I learned was minimal because I was not hired into a permanent position. I was only given enough training and information to complete the assigned task for a specific amount of time.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Parking was expensive.
Difficult employer
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Urbana, IL5 June 2017
The university has the potential to be a great employer, but unfortunately it is held back by the state. Being an Academic Professional, we take the brunt of the hardship and there is little job security but continual threats of our benefits being slashed.
OK to work for
Nutrition and Wellness Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 May 2017
Good, but offices are located in Urbana and we work in Chicago and life would be better if we had better contact with our employer. Time goes by too fast not to be in touch with those who make the decisions.
Fun
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL22 May 2017
At the University of Illinois, you get to work with world class faculty on cutting edge research. Schedule is based on your availability, and a positive environment is always present.
Fun Undergrad Job
Residence Hall Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pennsylvania28 April 2017
It was nice to work as a residence hall desk clerk. I was able to make many friends during my employment. The only downside is that you might give hours in the early morning/night (3AM - 7AM Shift).
Not a diversified campus - poor job security.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL22 April 2017
The school needs to diversify its administration, faculty and staff. They also need to make the campus more welcoming for minorities and offer better job security for teachers.
Excellent for Grad Students
MBA Program Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL21 April 2017
Excellent part-time opportunities for current Graduate Students; great pay and part-time flexible work opportunities to help support oneself while in school
Pros
Flexibity
Awesome place to work
Business Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL18 April 2017
I loved working for U of I because I got to meet new people and was still able to make due with the wages and benefits package for my family and I. I would love to work for a company just like it in order to truthfully earn a decent living for My family
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities, meet new people
Work Life Balance
Process Improvement Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL13 April 2017
Work Life Balance in my position is wonderful. My job allows me to telecommute when needed with minimal travel for the job. I have enjoyed learning all of the different aspects of Higher Education with regards to the culture and diversity of each department.
Pros
Free tuition to employees
Cons
Salary increase and advancement based upon state budget
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2017
Got knowledge and training of various new techniques. Sufficient breaks in between work were allowed. Many opportunities were given to develop as a student researcher.
Dining Worker
Dining Hall Worker (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL10 April 2017
My position was apart of federal work study. The dining hall I worked in was really relaxed and I wouldn't have wanted to work anywhere else on campus.
Nice place to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 April 2017
Calibrated issues in classrooms regarding
smart-boards / computer problems.
Ordered new computers, furniture and assisted with remodeling projects.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining inventory using on-line system for surplus/disposal items per depts.
and, reported via spreadsheet to UIC warehouse. Often times other
departments did not report their surplus items.
Pros
Free lunch during student events
Cons
Had to walk to other campuses in the winter to drop off documents.
University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL8 April 2017
Great school in terms of educational opportunities, as well as a balanced lifestyle. The university does an excellent job in preparing the students for the demands of the real world.
Awesome
President (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL5 April 2017
I had a great time at the University of Illinois, I feel like I grew as a professional while here. I learned about different waste procedures which helped me get my new job.
Pros
great workplace enviroment
Underappreciated Urban Research University with True Diversity
Institutional Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 April 2017
Excellent and inspirational urban mission, great institutional values. Commitment to accessibility means it is a very diverse place with phenomenal positive impact, especially in the health sciences. As with most universities, it is administered unevenly, so your work experience will vary depending on the unit. As a public university, it struggles with being underfunded. Hugely successful in research (engineering, public health, medicine).
Pros
Generally understanding of work-life balance needs (family, health, etc)
Cons
Pay is stuck. Little room for advancement
Fast Paced Envrionment With Latest Technology
Academic Hourly/ I.T. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL30 March 2017
Work was very fast paced. We would be involved with improving existing technology in various departments, as well as implementing new technology to help out all of our end users all across campus.
Pros
Fun atmosphere to work in.
Great
Laboratory Preparatory Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, IL27 March 2017
I go to class everyday and learn a lot about molecular and cellular biology. I also learn about chemistry. Class are challenging but I appreciate the great education I am receiving.
Great place for personal growth
Physics Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL26 March 2017
My experience as a graduate student was extremely positive.

I learned a lot about working independently. I also managed to take classes outside the physics department.
Student Teacher Supervisor
Supervisor of Student Teachers (Former Employee) –  University of Illinois Champaign, Il10 March 2017
Excellent opportunity to encourage and to enhance the student teaching experiences in different locations throughout the state. Conducted seminars and met with student teachers on an individual basis. Also was the liason between the school and university environments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3