University of Illinois Employee Reviews

University of Illinois Review
Office Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 2, 2016
One of the reasons I chose to pursue other options is I don't get to work with that many people. I sit in an office, alone working on my computer. Which is good, but I still like to interact. I do enjoy all of the people I work with, I would just like to be able to be more out in the open.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Excellent Work Life Balance
Sr. Windows Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 10, 2015
Great team of brilliant technical professionals, that run world class enterprise services and a CIO that pushes the tech community there to always strive to help IT drive the campus mission in Champaign-Urbana.
Pros
Work Life Balance is good, great learning environment and benefits
Cons
Very slow paced and could get into dead spells
wonderful opportunity to learn new technologies
Graduate Assistant (Application Developer) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2016
Great work experience. Learn the working of an industry and challenges. Good compensation
Co-workers are friendly and helpful
Very good and recommended
Product Designer and Developer (Current Employee) –  Illinois Sustainable Technology CenterNovember 27, 2015
The University had a very good work environment. The supervision had a balance between hands-on and hands-off approach. There was good scope to grow and the compensation was good.

The co-workers were supportive and helpful. I learnt to work in teams and take responsibility. In addition, I learnt how to communicate with different types of people.
N/a
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
University of Illinois at Chicago is a great institution to work for with great benefits in regards to healthcare and retirement.
UofI
Maintenance/Construction Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 21, 2015
Challenging work environment. A lot of good people with a lot knowledge in power generation, maintenance and construction. Compensation could have been better.
Enjoyable Place to work
Storekeeper (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 25, 2015
Great job and place to work like I have been doing for 25 years now.
The Benefits are great and management are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Sometimes Repetitive
Excellent opportunity for anyone willing to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 1, 2016
Although you spend much of your time deep inside large research facilities where human interaction might be minimal, you get a chance to work alongside some of the leading experts in their field and be a part of something that is much bigger than yourself. The faculty were professional, personable, and conscientious. The hardest part of the job would be performing at the standard of the institution, which is high. The best part of all this is, once you're finally able to relax, being able to look back and say "I did" instead of "I could have".
Pros
Learn from the greatest
Cons
Strenuous work weeks, extra hours put in to reach deadlines
Team players
Patient Care Evaluation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
I worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator. My typical day would include, greeting patients, consenting them to various studies. Perform study related duties, such as blood draws, ECG, vitals and whatever else the study required. Process blood, urine and other lab samples according to the protocols, for freezing, shipping etc
Interact with governing bodies such as IRB, pharmacy sponsors and contact workers. I worked among physicians, nurses, and other coordinators. What I LOVED most is that we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was negotiating the contracts.
Pros
travel
Cons
sometimes no lunch breaks
wonderful
PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 11, 2016
I go out and enforce parking at the u of i. we are either the most hated or most loved department on the campus. With out us parking on campus would be a nightmare and most people don't see that. Management is good to work with. the hardest part is dealing with some people and the weather we enforce no matter what the elements are. Seeing the looks on people faces when we help them with a jump start or keys locked in there cars. When they find out it is free they are so excited.
Pros
the hours mon through friday 930 to 6 with weekends off
Cons
mean people and bad weather
Great school with helpful faculty
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 17, 2016
Working for a year as lecturer of EALC 275 Masterpieces of East Asian Literature was a fantastic experience. I had worked as a TA for a year prior to being made head instructor, and that was a good experience in itself that taught me much about how to run a class. Communicating with department leadership to ensure that I was maintaining a high standard for the class was essential. I had great TAs, and I enjoyed every minute of teaching.
Good place to work.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2015
Good company to work for and the benefits plan is great. The company promotes a mission that encourages development and diversity, but there is not a lot of room for promotion. Co-workers are wonderful to work with and managers are somewhat flexible. You will work very hard here! Pay could be better. Commute is not enjoyable from southwest suburbs, especially in the winter.
Benefits
Cons
Commute; Temporary Positions (Visiting), Limited Room for Promotion
A friendly workplace
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 2, 2016
It has a typical small college town aura: because of such a huge influx of foreign nationals in student body, in many cases, the UIUC is open to and friendly with non-American population. But its overall treatment of graduate students, in terms of teaching load and salary, reveals that the grad school is not an ideal place to commit yourself to research.
Useful for learning to lead a group
Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 24, 2016
Whenever I'd be called in to work, I'd arrive at the mandatory pre-exam meeting, discuss important information that may be needed to relay to students, and give input as to how to better manage the exams. From this, I learned how to maintain a group as well as keep them organized, and a sampling of how to lead. The management worked well most of the time, but sometimes there would be circumstances out of their control. This was never really an issue as far as I'm aware.

Coworkers were mostly useful, canvasing through the room of students with me to ensure that everyone was maintaining fairness and helping students when necessary. Sometimes, however, the coworkers I was assigned to for an exam ended up sitting in a corner and working on their laptops, often making it more difficult for the rest of us to watch over students taking the exam. This ended up being the most difficult part of the job, but to be fair, it didn't affect our abilities that much, and they were usually working in their own coursework too.

The best part of that job was helping the students out with understanding their questions. That helped me stay on my toes and remember my own education, as well as giving me a better perspective on how other people approached certain physics problems. And I don't deny that I felt pleasant being useful.
working with the public
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2016
doing different things as the hospital to help everyone get threw the day and showing that we care i love working with the people in my department my manger do a great job to keep things work related the patients look forward to seeing us because a lot of them be going threw a lot
Pros
free meals
Cons
no break room
Fun place to work in
Server (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working here because it allowed me to meet new people and interact with a lot of friends that I now have today. My co-workers were easy to work with and never caused any problems. Management was a bit hard on the employees, but they could also be nice too.
Pros
Meals, workers, hours
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work at but no,loyalty to employees classified as exempt.
National Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2016
I should have moved on when I was younger when I learned of no job security being classified as an exempt employee in the university system..
Pros
Lots of good people around the work environment.
Cons
Exempt status provides no long term job security.
Good jobs for students
Super User (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Great jobs available for students.
A lot of fun people to work with.
Management was laid back about assignments.
Presentation skills improved due to explaining and training other students on the proper use of the machinery.
Pros
had time to do homework on slow days
Cons
sometimes it would be packed and nonstop work
Among the few top choices for graduate school
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 23, 2016
The research environment at the University of Illinois helps you grow as a qualified research, either for academia or industrial path after the graduate school.
poor job security
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
Human Resources perform illegal actions toward employees. Discriminatory actions against employees. Racist behavior and hiring practices.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Human Resource staff.

4.3