University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Not a diversified campus - poor job security.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL22 April 2017
The school needs to diversify its administration, faculty and staff. They also need to make the campus more welcoming for minorities and offer better job security for teachers.
Awesome place to work
Business Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL18 April 2017
I loved working for U of I because I got to meet new people and was still able to make due with the wages and benefits package for my family and I. I would love to work for a company just like it in order to truthfully earn a decent living for My family
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities, meet new people
Work Life Balance
Process Improvement Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL13 April 2017
Work Life Balance in my position is wonderful. My job allows me to telecommute when needed with minimal travel for the job. I have enjoyed learning all of the different aspects of Higher Education with regards to the culture and diversity of each department.
Pros
Free tuition to employees
Cons
Salary increase and advancement based upon state budget
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2017
Got knowledge and training of various new techniques. Sufficient breaks in between work were allowed. Many opportunities were given to develop as a student researcher.
Dining Worker
Dining Hall Worker (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL10 April 2017
My position was apart of federal work study. The dining hall I worked in was really relaxed and I wouldn't have wanted to work anywhere else on campus.
Nice place to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 April 2017
Calibrated issues in classrooms regarding
smart-boards / computer problems.
Ordered new computers, furniture and assisted with remodeling projects.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining inventory using on-line system for surplus/disposal items per depts.
and, reported via spreadsheet to UIC warehouse. Often times other
departments did not report their surplus items.
Pros
Free lunch during student events
Cons
Had to walk to other campuses in the winter to drop off documents.
University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, IL8 April 2017
Great school in terms of educational opportunities, as well as a balanced lifestyle. The university does an excellent job in preparing the students for the demands of the real world.
Awesome
President (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL5 April 2017
I had a great time at the University of Illinois, I feel like I grew as a professional while here. I learned about different waste procedures which helped me get my new job.
Pros
great workplace enviroment
Underappreciated Urban Research University with True Diversity
Institutional Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 April 2017
Excellent and inspirational urban mission, great institutional values. Commitment to accessibility means it is a very diverse place with phenomenal positive impact, especially in the health sciences. As with most universities, it is administered unevenly, so your work experience will vary depending on the unit. As a public university, it struggles with being underfunded. Hugely successful in research (engineering, public health, medicine).
Pros
Generally understanding of work-life balance needs (family, health, etc)
Cons
Pay is stuck. Little room for advancement
Fast Paced Envrionment With Latest Technology
Academic Hourly/ I.T. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL30 March 2017
Work was very fast paced. We would be involved with improving existing technology in various departments, as well as implementing new technology to help out all of our end users all across campus.
Pros
Fun atmosphere to work in.
Great
Laboratory Preparatory Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, IL27 March 2017
I go to class everyday and learn a lot about molecular and cellular biology. I also learn about chemistry. Class are challenging but I appreciate the great education I am receiving.
Great place for personal growth
Physics Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL26 March 2017
My experience as a graduate student was extremely positive.

I learned a lot about working independently. I also managed to take classes outside the physics department.
Student Teacher Supervisor
Supervisor of Student Teachers (Former Employee) –  University of Illinois Champaign, Il10 March 2017
Excellent opportunity to encourage and to enhance the student teaching experiences in different locations throughout the state. Conducted seminars and met with student teachers on an individual basis. Also was the liason between the school and university environments.
Great for Students
Computer Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 March 2017
Working for the ACC at UIC is a great work environment for students while they are studying. Flexible work hours, and if you are an engineering student, you have the opportunity to be a developer there, on top of Help Desk responsibilities.
Started from the Bottom
Graduate Assistant, Educational Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL21 February 2017
Began my career as a teller, worked my to supervisor and on to manager. Built a solid team by training and providing opportunities for growth and advancement. This experience was fantastic and it shaped my management style. I loved seeing most of those I hired flourish.
Working at UIC
Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 February 2017
During my typical day at work, I am responsible to adequately take care of my patients by addressing their individual problems when making my rounds and during the course of my shift. We are constantly faced with challenging patient's issues that needed immediate attention. With adequate communication with patients, by listening to what their needs are; and resolving the situation to the patient's satisfaction. As long as the patient is satisfied with the outcome, my day is made, and that is the most enjoyable part of my day.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Inability to perform your job is unacceptable.
average place to work
Building Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 February 2017
No longer employed with this company....worked for several years and decided recently to go full time into the Law Enforcement field after watching the States Pension problems seem to only get worse.
Good for starting out
Chicago - Web Master (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL14 February 2017
I worked in tech here.
its good just to get your feet wet.
I wouldn't say its a place to say if you would like to pursue new tech or new ideas
a lot of red tape
Good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 February 2017
It is a very good place to work with a healthy work life balance. You also get to learn a lot working under the professor of your interest. I am working as a teaching assistant
excellent environment for students and tutors alike
Chicago Writing Center Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 January 2017
This was my favorite job to date. I loved the environment, I loved the people, and I loved being the catalyst to someone else's success. While working with other students, my own interests and skills developed, and I'm certain they will be helpful to me later on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3