University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work.
Building Service Worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2015
The work is easy. You have a set schedule that must be completed every day.Also, this job gives you the opportunity to grow not only professionally but personally. I'm learning to be a better team leader because my boss gave me a chance to lead with small projects.I have also developed interpersonal skills. I am able to communicate and interact effectively with other people.My time management skills and communication skills have improved tremendously as well. My fellow co workers are welcoming, even the workers on the other sides of campus as well.
Not a bad place for research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2015
Everybody here is nice. Pressure is not as high as I expected. Each project is done by a highly effective team. And we have some fun occasionally too.
Large State University
Post Doc and Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, fairly hands off leadership
Cons: Bureaucratic system, odd restrictions on purchases, few resources for professional development
UIC is one of three big research universities in the city of Chicago, and as such we have access to a lot of resources. As "soft money employees", we are subject to the ability of the PI to receive grants.
Great platform for learning and growing
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2015
There would be something new to learn everyday. Great place to work with professors and students addressing issues and conducting sessions for students for Business Analysis using spreadsheets
Fun and Friendly workplace
Web Developer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Good work/life balance
UIC has a very good work environment. All the managers and directors are very friendly and helpful. I have the flexibility to use any open source plugins/frameworks during development.
Rewarding and fun job
Parent Engagement Facilitator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Does not appreciate the effort into the work
A typical day would be, getting materials ready to present at a site (Head Start Site). Getting to the site, and greet the parents that are assisting the workshop, and give the parents new ideas for them to take home and try to incorporate into their daily routine, and also present to them new helpful resources.
Interesting place to be part of a research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
Pros: A lot of time, flexible, own pace
Cons: nothing
It was very interesting to be able to meet different people and asked them why they live in the neighborhood they do and why did they send their children to school. There was a lot of time to put in data of the people that we interviewed. It was a long process to check things in detail of each interviewed and putting the correct information. I was also in charge to check, that all the students had done all their interviews and turn in all their paper work. I learned how to transcribe interviews. Additionally I translated paper work to Spanish and as well translated Spanish transcriptions to English.The hardest part was being able to set up an interviews with people and being available when they were to interviewed them. The most enjoyable part of it, was when all the students would come together and talked about the experiences we had with the interviews.
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2015
For most of the time that I worked there, I worked in the medical records office. My duties included pulling charts for clinicians, either their current appointments, or for the next day. I also handled filing, answering phones, and other duties as necessary. I didn't find anything particularly hard about the job, but I did find it a challenge to learn the new laws regarding HIPAA, which had to do with patient privacy rights. At the time that I was working with the company, those laws were just going into effect. That was also the time that files were being adapted to the computer system, so there was a lot to learn at that time, in terms of learning a whole new way to do my job. I enjoyed my coworkers. They made the work environment very positive for me. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was in the afternoon, when I would go to each floor to deliver and pick up charts. I enjoyed greeting my coworkers as I moved to each floor.
Fantastic place to work
General Office Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Pros: work hours were ideal
Cons: none
I organized student’s records. The work environment was ideal. I learned that education is a business as well as a place of learning.
My management was eager to teach me. Registration periods were possibly the hardest part of this job, however working as a team helped.
Fast-paced active workplace
Print Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 1, 2015
A typical day involved ensuring that the print lab ran as smoothly as possible.Everyday tasks included helping students print, check out equipment, and troubleshooting their issues. As technical problems came up I was charged with the task of troubleshooting and repairing them if possible. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with the people who came into the print lab, everyday there was a new student coming in, giving me the opportunity to work with numerous students in any given day.
A fast paced and busy environment.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
Pros: Free lunch from doctors in clinic on occasion
Cons: no breaks, healthcare, short staff.
Clock in a.m. and go directly to desk and work station so that I can log into Cerner Applications to check in/out patients, schedule appointments, answer switchboard phones, take messages, page doctors, xerox, fax, obtain referrals/authorization/pre-authorization for patient procedures, medical records, patient charts, transfer patient medical records upon request, APEX, E-Care, collect patient co-payments and keep a daily record of payments received.
fun work place
research assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: parking
people are great
benefets are great
you career never stays still
I would love to still work there
learn so much
Flexible hours; meager pay
o Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 24, 2015
As a research assistant at UIC, I had great flexibility over when I completed projects, however, the work was very inconsistent and the pay never went up.
safe and fun environment. get to meet lots of people.
Desk/Security Worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 18, 2015
Cons: some rules were unneccesary
Checking in and out guests and residents
sorting mail and packages
learned customer service
co-workers were friendly and helpful
fairly easy job
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 28, 2015
Great company to work for. Benefit plan is amazing. The company fosters a mission that promotes professional development.
Its a good place either to start or finish!
Postdoc (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Pros: commutable to city, ethics, quality work
Cons: some shady areas, empty streets on holidays
The work life depends on who you work with, specially in research labs. It is always good to find an ex-employee to get an insight. Once tenure-tracked benefits surely are a plus.
Great place to learn then leave
Director of Athletic Communications (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, access
Cons: Long hours
This is a great place to learn skills and then take off for your next after 3-4 years. Not much chance for upward growth here.
drab university with unenthusiastic students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 19, 2015
As a graduate student, I am frustrated by the lack of enthusiasm of the undergraduates for the courses I TA, and the lack of campus culture as most students commute. The funding situation is also unfortunate.
Lovely and easy going.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches, good support
Cons: low pay
Most managers were very flexible and kind as well as worked everyone within their personal needs. Employes were very friendly towards their bosses and coworkers.
Great place to work in
Retina Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
Great place to work in and enjoy all the state-of-the art labs and facilities in addition to world-renowned ophthalmologists and scientists.