University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Useful learnig
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2014
Great experience working with undergraduate and graduate students. Coordinating with them in labs to develop prototypes and instructing them in classes.
Outstanding benefits, diverse and supportive community
Research Project Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2014
Pros: health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, supportive and collaborative work environment
Cons: budget cuts can create chaos, pensions are threatened
The university community embraces diversity and inclusion, and this is reflected in the staff, faculty and students. Service to the city of Chicago is a priority. Employees get a terrific benefits package, which few organizations can match.
Great work place to network
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2014
It was a wonderful learning experience. I worked with industry leaders to conduct the symposium and served as a liason between the guests for the symposium and the University's Event Planning team.
Very lfexible ahours allowed me to balance working part-time and attending school full-time
ACCC consultant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2014
Typical work day would include fixing printers, loading paper into the printers, helping students activate their user accounts, reset student passwords, maintain a professional environment in labs by enforcing ACCC policies.
You'll work hard here but will never be promoted.
Coordinator of Research Programs (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2014
Pros: great students
Cons: poor pay
You'll work hard here but will never be promoted. Furthermore, there's not a very diverse faculty body.
productive and fun workplace
bookstore (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
work day at the bookstore is very laid back you interact with a lot of the students and faculty.
I've learn a lot such and how to use there programs that they use for accounting inventory as well as receiving.
management is a little everywhere but there good. coworker are students mainly but fun everyone gets along.
hardest part i would have to say – more... is working with the some of the management no seem to really want to full take charge when things aren't going well.
the most enjoyable part i would have to say is working with my co workers they are all hard working and when u need a hand or if you having a off day they have your back and help out – less
Graduate Student Worker
Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2014
I worked at UIC as a teaching assistant and research assistant while pursuing my PhD.
Loved it
Office Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2014
Loved every aspect of it! Nice employees and coworkers. Management was awesome.
Large research university in an urban environment.
Researcher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2014
Large research university in an urban environment with a diverse student population.
Great place to work.
Assistant Regional Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2014
Great place to work with great benefits. Monday - Friday job, tuition waiver for employees and 50% waiver for their children.
Cure Violence / CeaseFire
Business Admin (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: uic vacation/personal time off
Cons: poor management, toxic environment, lack of professional development/demeanor
Poor management. The CEO of Cure Violence and CeaseFire is a brilliant doctor. However, does not know how to manage and lead, does not know how to communicate effectively, provide constructive feedback or any, even if it is required to comply with something he needs. He has had about 13 assistants in 15 years... During a meeting, he mentioned that he – more... didn't care if his employees were happy. Needless to say, I left shortly after.

The environment is toxic and unprofessional. Conflict resolution is something that only is applied in the communities, but is not practiced at the main office. For women in particular, the environment is harsh as the male collages are known to overstep their boundaries. There have been claims of s harassment, yet no resolution to the problem.

There is no job growth or professional development other than that offered by UIC, which management does not care for unless you are in the finance department.

The organization is dysfunctional. Many people apply because they have seen the TED Talks or the Interrupter's documentary. However, accomplished professionals that have options quickly leave the organization or move within the university; only those that grow comfortable and have little chances to get a better job end up staying. – less
Easy going
Grounds and Landscaper (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
All employees must work in inclement weather some days. So all employees must be ready to deal with all different types of weather.
Great place to learn & work!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
Work environment is very nurturing, friendly and comfortable. My time here was very productive, not only as I was obtaining my degree, but also in terms of growing as a researcher. Highly recommend working at UIC!
Excellent place to work
Equal Opportunity Officer and ADA/Section (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2014
One of the best and most diverse universities in the country.
Very busy place to work, make the day flow quicker.
Library Clerk II & III - University of Illinois (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: commute
Send materials to libraries across the globe.
Scan materials via Ariel and transmit them to various libraries.
Management was always hands on.
Hardest part of the job was leaving my co-workers
This position was extremely detailed orientated. Application process timeframe
Graduate Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2014
Pros: interacting with students from around the world and learning their culture
Cons: their were no cons, only challenges that required troubleshooting.
An overall review of the positions I held at the University of Illinois @ Chicago are:
Graduate Coordinator: This position was fulfilling, The majority of students who applied were Asian/Indian coming to the states with limited language and usually knowing no one. I was there initial contact to the university and they dependent upon me to assist them – more... adjust to the school, the city, etc. The highlight was assisting them with preparation for dissertations. It is a proud moment for both a student and myself. It was an honor to observe their sacrifices and endure their challenges to finally meet their goals. This is one position I truly enjoyed and given the opportunity I would do it again, even better. – less
Great coworkers and good pay
Research Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2014
Liked it, as long as you did your job you are golden. Stress-free
OKay
Lab Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
It was great working experience. I worked in one of the labs researching plant growth. It helped me gain experience in research field.
Great place
Assistant to Department Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2014
Fun work place, very fast paced. Room for advancement. Learned a lot about the market
Loved working here acquired a lot of skills that has improved me as an Engineer
Product Development Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2014
Had to design a hack for current micro-pipettes so they can be cheaper and affordable in developing countries. Worked with a team of 4 and over a span of a year this was accomplished using a 3D printer and CAD software. The whole process of Engineering design was implemented from concept to development to manufacture and presentation.

1 2 3 4 5