University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews

Great place to work and study
Doctoral Rsearch (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 December 2017
Great place to work study. Environment is very friendly. Enough independence was provided to do the work. PI was always available to help and discuss work.
UIC is a joke
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 December 2017
You get sent to ALOT of training for various programs, but aren’t taught how to use the knowledge. I self taught myself how to use the systems and had to go to a different departments to get help for other things. Management is cut throat, they expect you to know what they are thinking and what they want without any guidance. The professors are arrogant (not all) and expect you to drop your daily workload to cater to their needs. If you make a mistake they look down on you. I’m a fast learner, however you can’t expect someone to master 8 systems on the 2nd 3rd attempt. I don’t kiss butt and never will.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No support system. Managers pretend they know what they are doing.
Great employer
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 December 2017
Opportunity to grow and advance your career. Great benefits, such as 403b, health, dental, vision, and above all tuition reimbursement for self and children.
Pros
Tuition benefits
Cons
State funded
Great Job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 December 2017
My supervisor was really understanding and helpful. Never had any problems with work. They were really flexible with my hours and allowed me to take days off during exam week. I hope to find a job at UIC again in the future!
Worked as TA
Graduate Teaching Assistant - Statistics (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 December 2017
Good job, stress-free, less work, good for a student as a part-time job.
Professors are helpful and it is a good opportunity to connect with other students.
Sleep Tech for Sleep Med
Sleep Technologist, RPSGT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 December 2017
Supervisor is unorganized, but coworkers are great. High turn over rate though. Insurance is not good coverage at all but there are incentives to not taking it. Very demanding lab due to patient needs.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
insurance, demanding
Okay work place
Inpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 December 2017
Fair work distribution. Employees treated with respect. Employees work remotely from home. Membership dues are paid. Educational training is good. Treated fairly.
Awesome place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL29 November 2017
Good place to work at depending the department you work. In the particular place I work upper management did not value the employees that worked over and beyond their means.
A rewarding experience overall
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cook County, IL28 November 2017
UIC is a very diverse and international school. You could easily make tons of friends and join different communities/clubs. The best part of my job as a research assistant was to collaborate with faculty and fellow graduate students.The hardest part of the job was to catch up with several consecutive deadlines (research, exam, etc).
Nice place for research and work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL21 November 2017
I am a graduate student here and work part time in the Research department of the University. Lots of learning, real feel of industry environment, lots of benefits and tuition fee waive off.
I enjoy working for the University
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL21 November 2017
I enjoy working for the University. I have learned many things and been to many training's. Working with the patients to help assist with any barriers. The hardest part is not being able to provide the resources that are not available to families. I really enjoy my coworkers and helping others.
Pros
Free lunches, meeting and learning new health related materials.
Cons
Great mission; good location; good vacation/sick leave
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 November 2017
UIC is a dynamic place to work with a highly diverse student body and staff. It is headed by a visionary and creative chancellor. State budget issues impinge mission.
UIC Employee
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 November 2017
my boss worked with me because i was in school and i lived the farthest. management was awesome. A typical day was basically being a secratary and answering phones
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
wish it wasnt a temp job
Great research environment
Post-Doc Scientist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 November 2017
Great research environment.
Enjoyed the research. People are friendly and encouraging. Salary is OK. Great location and collaboration opportunities with local other institutions.
Advancement
IT SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 November 2017
The one thing I would knock UIC for is that there is no structure in place for people to move up in the organization. One can be stuck doing the same job for 10+ years.
Helpful people
Admitting Officer III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL11 November 2017
Working at UIC was my first job interacting with patients and really being hands one. I enjoyed making sure their experience at the hospital would be as pleasant as possible and always made them feel included in the admissions process by answering questions or concerns they had.
Pros
Being able to interact with patients and families
Cons
Short breaks
Decent place to work
Staff member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 November 2017
Good work life balance but poor compensation for non-faculty members.Management is wildly different across units. It can be as positive an experience as you make it.
Good opportunity to manage and learn
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 November 2017
As a Graduate teaching assistant for the subject Machine Organization, managing a class with 244 students gives me invaluable experience with not just the subject content, but also man management and teaching.
Good
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 November 2017
It's always been a great environment to work in. The school is very diverse and inclusive. There are many opportunities within the university to grow and expand.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 November 2017
Time management is easy. Roles and responsibilities are well defined. Good support from management. Helps in self development. Work pressure is balanced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Illinois at Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2