University of Guelph Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great to Serve Students
Manager, Executive Programs (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Being able to help people
Cons: Limited job opportunities
Fast paced, multi-tasking and service oriented working environment providing the opportunity to making a difference
Graduate Teaching Assistant- Urban and Regional Planning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 11, 2015
As a resource for students I helped explain planning documents and legislation. I presented on the importance of land-use policies and worked with groups of students to form inventive plans. I tried to inspire students to see the excitement and rewards of good planning.
Fast pace.... but fun job
Porter/ Food Prep (Current Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: work late at night on afternoon shift
I really enjoy working at the University. We get to talk with the students and try to help them out with their problems, since their parents aren't there. We try to accommodate them with their food allergies, and give them a good variety of healthy food. The staff is hard working and we try very hard to work as a team and help each other out when needed. The management work very hard to help us work together and make things run smoothly. I think the hardest part of this job is sometimes it can get really busy and the students don't have much to wait around because they have classes to get to. So we have to really move fast and together to get the job done. Over all I work highly recommend the University a great place to work.
Good learning opportunity
Conference Coordinator (Former Employee), GuelphJuly 21, 2015
Great to work with multiple departments and learn the challenges of getting things done on a University campus. A great place to start out.
Good student job
HOSPITALITY DESK CLERK (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 20, 2015
Pros: easy to take time off
Cons: managment
close to university of guelph, very flexible hours, can take time off easiy for exams. atmosphere was ok. customers were not always nice
I like working with the students
network administrator (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJuly 10, 2015
I like working with the students, it was rewarding to see them succed.
The management is government run so there were some issues getting the right equipment, but overall good.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJune 25, 2015
We can do our research any time we want
Excellent support for the students in terms of scholarship
Tuition fee is relatively high compared to neighbor university
It was nice teaching students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJune 3, 2015
I loved teaching students and learning from them.

although the salary was low, and there was no job security but I totally enjoyed teaching.
Great opportunities to expand teaching porfolio
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMay 12, 2015
Teaching assistants are treated well and I never felt over-worked. Excellent experience for those interested in expanding their teaching portfolio and inter-personal skills.
Good people to work with.
Manager, Info. Tech. Services, Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Kemptville, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: PDR allowance, the people
Cons: Closing the campus
IT support for Students, Staff, faculty and conferencing patrons.

Cisco VOIP phone system with Cisco PoE switches across campus.
Windows Server 2008R2 server infrastructure.

State of the Art Information Technology and Audio Visual equipment across campus.
Challenges
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Kemptville, ONMarch 23, 2015
Pros: the money and the benefits.
Cons: the college is closing.
Within a normal day there are always at least four challenges that arise from printing problems to defective hardware. I love the problem solving and the feeling of all the accomplishments throughout the day. As for my management they let me make all my own decisions unless there is a major cost over 5000.00. I love the flexibleness about my job it lets me get this done easily and quickly without having to worry about what decisions I have made throughout the day. I feel I have made all the right decisions and I always ensure people are satisfied.
Comprehensive and well-established public research university in Guelph.
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Researched efficacy of fresh-cut washing process in commercial plants, analyzing 600+ samples of water and vegetables for microbial and physiochemical testing.
Fun place to work
Student caller representative (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 2, 2015
opportunity to meet great people and connect with new people through phone calls. Great co-workers. Learn a lot about communicating with people effectively.
comfortable work experience with students and professors
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: good salary and flexible working hours
-invigilating exams
-marking papers
-holding office hours to answer questions
It was my first chance to know that many Canadians, actually English speaking people. I learned how to communicate approprately and natively, became more confident.
A very accepting workplace
Advisor for Students (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: stress free work environment
Cons: distance from home
University of Guelph is the best place I have ever worked as its employees and students are extremely caring and accepting of everyone. I do not want to leave this job but with the lack of security in this position with working on a renewable contract (pending work) every year it is not a reliable source of income with now having a family to raise. I also have a distance to commute and with a new baby it is not really feasible so I am looking for work closer to home.
Interesting Projects
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Flexible work hours and easy going environment
Open discussion with your supervisor
Interesting projects
A good university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 6, 2015
I learned a lot while working at the University of Guelph. I gained skills in experimental design and statistics. The laboratory was very friendly and the collaboration between co-workers enabled a professional environment. The hardest part of the job was to leave it because my co-workers became my friends and the projects became my source of knowledge.
Great work environment
Lecturer and Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONNovember 10, 2014
Great place to work and learn! Very interactive team members.
fun
Camp Voulenteer (Former Employee), Guelph, ONSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: fun
volunteering for creative encounters at U of G was very enjoyable
Interesting experience
Teaching Assitant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONSeptember 24, 2014
Light work load. Got opportunity to share with students what I thought was important to design, and hopefully I was able to help them.