University of Guelph Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Like a second home
Part-time event 2 yrs (Former Employee), Ridgetown, ONApril 16, 2016
Pros: went out for lunch once a week, access to greenhouse, free starter kit
Cons: physically demanding
We would meet for a few minutes every morning to find out what we were going to be doing that day.

was given responsibility of conducting myself under minimal supervision

learned how to professionally cut grass

learned how to drive a front loader tractor

learned how to back up a trailer

access to professional equipment

a beautiful working environment

friendly management and atmosphere

in the second year was able to help new people with small questions

had lots of fun a laughs with all co-workers while staying productive

physically demanding

The most enjoyable part of the job would be working outside all day and the friendly people made it feel like a second home

management was very understanding of my duties as a parent
Learning and interesting integrative work with instruments
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I learned how to research the materials and products needed to finish the research task I was given. I learned the ways of getting the information I needed, either from my own knowledge or from a technician or fellow graduate colleague. With the encouragement of my supervisor I also enjoyed the work in how I had freedom to accomplish the task in the direction i felt best. The hardest and most frustrating part of the job would be having to move from one tactic to another and having to exhaust all my references and trials to only accomplish my task with the last possible idea.
Very enjoyable place to work!
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee), Guelph, ONApril 3, 2016
A typical day at work is very fast paced as there is many students in the University. I have multiple tasks including serving coffee and deserts, smoothies and sandwich making. Friendly co-workers as well as the customers. I am thankful to be employed at the University and experience new things every day!
It was great but i wish it was longer.
customer service (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 19, 2016
I really enjoyed this job because I was working with students. It was great talking to them. There was no hard thing about this job. Again, the co-workers were excellent. It felt like we were one big happy family making sure the students were looked after.
Close knit work environment with excellent management
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Alfred and Plantagenet, ONApril 7, 2016
An excellent place to work. All workers were very close and this provided a very productive and supportive work environment. Supervisors were clearly very passionate and hard working, but also very kind and understanding.
productive work place with great team support structure
Senior IT Consultant (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 31, 2016
Very encouraging place to work. Great atmosphere, and people. Management really value and acknowledge work being performed by staff and adhere to a strong code of ethics and positive reinforcement.
Active and creative environment.
Research Associate - Department of Food Science (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 2, 2016
Active and creative environment. Very friendly to every employees. Abundant academic activities and very open to public. Very nice working environment with well established facilities.
A wonderful workplace with an absolutely fantastic staff
Learning & Curriculum Support Librarian (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 29, 2016
The University of Guelph is a phenomenal employer with great benefits and a competitive salary. They are invested in the future and the well being of their staff.
Slow paced environment
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 2, 2016
Flexible hours as it is a volunteer position. I act as a confederate in another student's master's thesis. The position requires me to appear as another participant to those participating in the study.
Manageable, welcoming
Diner Hall Staff (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Always something to do, truly broadened skill base by learning how to work fast paced and with high volumes of customers. All coworkers compassionate to newcomers and leave room for you to find your own techniques and job pace.
Excellent Job for Students while in school
Duty Staff (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Time to Study while working
Cons: Late hours
Good Job, Difficult hours considering they are all late night on weekends. Luckily they pay for a cab to bring you home afterwards
Independant Work
University of Guelph (Geography IT Assistance ) (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 2, 2016
I was given daily tasks and my job was to complete them. Examples include: downloading software, installing update, and updating the manual
Great Environment
Hospitality Services (Former Employee), Guelph, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Typical days at work were productive. I learned social skills, hospitality skills, and teamworks skills. Management and co-workers were great and always very supportive. The hardest part of the job were days when the cafeteria was packed and very busy, but the most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and having great customers.
Online Instructor
Online Instructor (Current Employee), Guelph, OntarioOctober 7, 2015
Pros: Completely online
Cons: Not the best introductory training
Working for U o Guelph was completely online, so it was very easy to work the course into whatever else is going on in my life. My co-workers were easy to connect with and the technology at the university was very current.
Fun outing with the Group
Technology Transfer Manager (Current Employee), Guelph ONSeptember 9, 2015
Socializing with the group you work with is always a thrilling experience. We had a pool party, with games and water-gun fights in the pool. Had lots of food and good music. Interesting conversations too. It was a very happy moment, as we shoved our research issues aside, and had fun together
Fast pace.... but fun job
Porter/ Food Prep (Current Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: work late at night on afternoon shift
I really enjoy working at the University. We get to talk with the students and try to help them out with their problems, since their parents aren't there. We try to accommodate them with their food allergies, and give them a good variety of healthy food. The staff is hard working and we try very hard to work as a team and help each other out when needed. The management work very hard to help us work together and make things run smoothly. I think the hardest part of this job is sometimes it can get really busy and the students don't have much to wait around because they have classes to get to. So we have to really move fast and together to get the job done. Over all I work highly recommend the University a great place to work.
Organized and fast pace work place
Chef Apprentice (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 8, 2016
-The facilities are very organized and the managements are approachable.
- The people are good to get along with and professional.
Graduate Teaching Assistant- Urban and Regional Planning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 11, 2015
As a resource for students I helped explain planning documents and legislation. I presented on the importance of land-use policies and worked with groups of students to form inventive plans. I tried to inspire students to see the excitement and rewards of good planning.
Study intensive
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 20, 2015
Pros: At the cutting edge of science
Cons: not much clear guidance you are very much on your own
If you love being in a grant controlled environment this place is good because there is not a lot of tight deadlines. Things move at a calm pace. A lot of room to create your own schedule and experiments.
dsdg
University of Guelph Ambassador (Current Employee), GuelphOctober 15, 2015
love the school love working there. It is a fantastic time and you learn a lot from staff student and faculty. being an Ambassador is an excellent tool to gain experience and it has been fantastic.