University of Guelph Employee Reviews

Fun and productive place
Research Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 December 2016
By far the best job I have had and that is because of the people, the atmosphere and the ability to learn and grow. Excellent benefits. This place had the whole package.
Excellent Place to Work
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON29 November 2016
Working in the IT field was busy and there was always something to do. I answered the phone and did on site visits assisting students and staff on all aspects of IT related problems.

In the IT industry I was always learning because technology never stops changing. Leaning how to manage time was the most difficult. Spending late nights was sometimes a must.

The rewards were daily. Helping people retrieve lost data and helping them with tasks they felt were impossible was so enjoyable. Accomplishing tasks on time and budget were always the highlight of my career.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
They closed
Inspiring and involved work atmosphere
Visiting Professor, School of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 January 2017
Being a world class academic and research institution with leadership in on food processing and food safety in Canada, most of my research involvments were linked to food processing and sustainability.

My routine status with reviewing the research laboratory work, performing specialized procedures and analyzing the outcomes of scientific studies. Other routine work involver writing proposals, protocols, reports and research publications.

Consistant ly supervised the research projects of the students and learnt about the deal with variety of students at different level of knowledge and skills.

Hardest part was to not able to transfer all my experiences and expertise to the students and employees.

Enjoy sharing knowledge and observing the positive otcomes
Pros
Unlimited working hours, infrastucture
Cons
No industrial scale operation and involvments
A wonderful workplace with an absolutely fantastic staff
Learning & Curriculum Support Librarian (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 March 2016
The University of Guelph is a phenomenal employer with great benefits and a competitive salary. They are invested in the future and the well being of their staff.
very fun and relax environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 January 2017
Working at the UofG provides you with a great experience in an academic setting. I liked the management as well as the work culture.
productive and fun place with very nice boss
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 October 2016
I like how our boss is managing the workplace. Everyday we had to set around the table with him and he will assign jobs for everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the team work, we all work together to get the job done in no time.
Pros
sometimes we get free lunch
Cons
sometimes require lifting heavy stuff
Like a second home
Part-time event 2 yrs (Former Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON16 April 2016
We would meet for a few minutes every morning to find out what we were going to be doing that day.

was given responsibility of conducting myself under minimal supervision

learned how to professionally cut grass

learned how to drive a front loader tractor

learned how to back up a trailer

access to professional equipment

a beautiful working environment

friendly management and atmosphere

in the second year was able to help new people with small questions

had lots of fun a laughs with all co-workers while staying productive

physically demanding

The most enjoyable part of the job would be working outside all day and the friendly people made it feel like a second home

management was very understanding of my duties as a parent
Pros
went out for lunch once a week, access to greenhouse, free starter kit
Cons
physically demanding
Challenges
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kemptville, ON23 March 2015
Within a normal day there are always at least four challenges that arise from printing problems to defective hardware. I love the problem solving and the feeling of all the accomplishments throughout the day. As for my management they let me make all my own decisions unless there is a major cost over 5000.00. I love the flexibleness about my job it lets me get this done easily and quickly without having to worry about what decisions I have made throughout the day. I feel I have made all the right decisions and I always ensure people are satisfied.
Pros
The money and the benefits.
Cons
The college is closing.
Fun but Difficult program
Veterinary Technology Student (Former Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON19 October 2016
A very fun two years but packed with so much to do, I loved it but it was very intense and worth the time to be there. Always something to do, never a dull moment.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2016
This position heavily depends on which professor you are assigned to work with. I always had a good relationship with my professors and enjoyed working with them.

Want to know more about University of Guelph?

Ask a question
A very accepting workplace
Advisor for Students (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 January 2015
University of Guelph is the best place I have ever worked as its employees and students are extremely caring and accepting of everyone. I do not want to leave this job but with the lack of security in this position with working on a renewable contract (pending work) every year it is not a reliable source of income with now having a family to raise. I also have a distance to commute and with a new baby it is not really feasible so I am looking for work closer to home.
Pros
Stress free work environment
Cons
Distance from home
great
Student Transition & Resource Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
My experience working at the University of Guelph-Humber was insightful and a great stepping stone into the real world and into other great positions.
Great Place to work..will never forget it!!
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 July 2016
Excellent team environment
Work could accelerate and /or change quickly
Familiar with all roles of the personell.
Meet and provide customer service to people from other countries.
Lifting items that were heavy was hard, but always encouraged to ask for help.
Pros
Only Paid $10.00 per paycheck for nutritious food and coffee
fun work place
Porter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2016
wash dishes keep kitchen clean fun co- workers managemnt very understanding when it came down to health issues the hardest part of the job was getting the teenagers to get the job done
Pros
free uniforms
Cons
not enough hours
ok
START Leader and FYE Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
The management was kind of unorganized at times. Otherwise, fun place to work at. I would recommend. It is a good experience to have, and pays well.
Pros
Many free lunches
Cons
Erratic hours, prone to miscommunication, disorganization.
Diverse workplace culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2014
A significant amount of communication was required in order to effectively complete job requirements; management tended to be unorganized; workplace culture was diverse but not very cohesive; job required long hours but schedule was flexible.
Pros
Option to telecommute; steady supply of work
Cons
No benefits; communication issues with management
Supportive and fun work environment
Barista and Kitchen Employee (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 May 2016
Great work environment with supportive management and co-workers. Scheduling was very lenient towards busy university schedules and responsibilities.
Pros
Free lunches, good with scheduling, supportive.
Permanent night shift and contract work.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 September 2012
Although the pay was excelent the prospect of being on continual contract work while the University constantly talks of cut backs made the job very stressful. With a young family at home my time with them was so limited as to put a lot of strain on my family.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
horrible hours and very little job security
Excellent employer
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety in assignments and the ability to take courses on campus. I learned how to schedule courses, invigilate examinations, budget, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cost accounting, medical terminology, schedule meetings/travel, process travel claims, prepare and process journal entries.
Pros
great salary/benefits/pension.
Cons
not current in computer technology.
Fun work in Subway
Waitress, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 June 2016
Working in subway is a good experience for myself to learn how to work with my colleague and how to provide good service to my customers. when customer gives me a smile, I feel so happy. The manager is so friendly, we are more like a family.

4.5