University of Guelph Employee Reviews

Great
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 November 2017
Excellent way to give back to the school. Being apart of other students success is rewarding and the management team is very supportive to all their staff
Winter Wheat Breeding Program
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON23 October 2017
-Supervisor was extremely helpful and knowledgeable
-Great research environment that promotes learning and excellence
-Co-workers were positive and fun
-Learning a lot about wheat and fungal diseases
Adjunct professors worked tirelessly and many more hours than paid for.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 October 2017
As with any university or college contract position, the work that had to be put into Sessional courses to prepare these courses, the hours that were needed to teach these courses on an ongoing basis, the hours that were needed to prepare evaluation methods and than evaluate students regularly, the hours required to interact with students in person and online in an attentive and responsive way, and also the hours needed to remain accountable to the Department, often in shared office space (orientation, mandatory training, office hours and such) was all a lot to handle.
I loved researching, teaching and interacting with the students. That was the core satisfaction that I had within this role. However, the hours spent doing everything else ended up diminishing my hourly wage from $30/hour to $3/hour, I kid you not...
Pros
Fantastic experiences teaching and interacting with students and learning so much everyday
Cons
Long hours, no job security and not a lot of recognition for the importance of the work.
good place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 September 2017
good place to work, good people, good atmosphere, somewhat encouraging
work satisfaction is good, response to help is good, good peer-group
safe and sound place
Pretty fun
Drawing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 September 2017
What can I say about teaching! It was a great experience. The hours were very few and the pay was equally few. But the experience was gold. I really enjoyed my time at U of Gu.
Pros
Cons
part time
Bueno
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Guelph16 September 2017
Como investigador postdoctoral hay un alto grado de desarrollo profesional, sin embargo es un empleo temporal y no hay beneficios
Great Employer
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 September 2017
My coworkers enjoyed each others company a friendly atmosphere with staff students the work itself was always busy and always had work to do approaching a supervisor for any problems was never a issue
Very flexible with scheduling.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 September 2017
I could take time of very easily if I needed to do it. The work was also very research oriented and allowed me to work on assignments with members of faculty on a daily basis.
Great organization
IT-Helpdesk Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2017
The organization may be considered bureaucratic by many, but
I enjoyed my time there. The folks at CCS were very encouraging and allowed me to become better at customer service.
Pros
flexible
Miss working here
Computer Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 July 2017
Contract work that lasted nearly two years, the staff and management there were just GREAT people to work with.

If it had turned into a full-time (non-contract) job, I would still be working there today.
Pros
Flexible hours, no dress code, great staff, comfortable environment
Cons
contract work-didn't last
It is great to work here.
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 July 2017
It has all the equipments necessary for my research in crystallography. I would like to find a position here, but the University of Guelph has no open position available at the moment.
fun working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 July 2017
I like working here in U of G, the campus is nice and the working environment is very relax. Science facility is decent, but you can get most of the research done.
Volunteer position
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 May 2017
My other credential is a volunteer summer position I did during the summer prior to my fourth year at the University of Guelph. It was not a paid position, but I learned a great deal while working there.
Supportive and encouraging work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 May 2017
At The University of Guelph, the Professors, Graduate students and support staff work in tandem to provide an encouraging and supportive learning environment for undergraduate students. Graduate Teaching Assistants are ensured work while they do their own graduate degree. The workplace culture is energetic and positive, everyone supports one another.
The hardest part of the job is ensuring great time management so that you can get the work done for the Professors as well as do your own course work. The most enjoyable part is working with students and learning new material. I have learned to better my time management skills, to problem solve, to communicate with many students and professors at once, and how to properly balance work and university life.
Pros
Great colleagues and learning from Professors I admire
Cons
Marking stacks of hard-copy papers
Master Studies
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 May 2017
I worked in the university of guelph as a Lab instructor and graduate student. I enjoyed my time in the chemistry department and work with many exceptional instructors and researchers
Pros
No comment
Cons
No Comme
It was an excellent environment to work at as i love interacting and helping people on a daily basis.
Computer Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
Everyday was great as the staff is awesome and the students. I helped people with there computer related issues and questions overall about the school. The hardest part of this job was making sure every student gets the help they need and when dealing with rude students. Overall, it was a great environment to work at!
Pros
Free printing
Cons
Not enough hours
Great facility with amazing people
Soccer Referee (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 May 2017
 Facilitated games in a safe and recreational manner by enforcing game rules, and promoting fair play. Would highly recommend to anyone who is either physically active or loves sports
Great work , greater people
Guest Table Services (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 May 2017
It was an amazing experience to work with wonderful people everyday. A typical day might include, calls to the campus police or emergency services, extremely uncooperative students and rampant vandalism (Most likely not in the same night), but having a super supportive and friendly network of coworkers make it all worth it.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Uncooperative drunken students
Great Place to Work
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 April 2017
Pre-scheduled class times make it easy to plan your week, and balance school and work. The management was great, and instructions were clear for required tasks.
Outside the box thinking encouraged
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 April 2017
Working at UoG has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my academic career. It is an amazing place to work, and a true opportunity to be part of cutting-edge research, surrounded by brilliant minds, working together toward one goal. Exemplary teamwork and cooperation.
Pros
Intellectually stinulating
Cons
Long, irregular hours