This part-time (~2 days/week) job gives you the opportunity to develop laboratory and field experience that is relevant to careers or graduate studies in environmental and agricultural sciences. The research team includes a collaborative team at the University of Guelph and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada studying nitrogen cycling and greenhouse gas emissions. The successful applicant will assist in measuring greenhouse gas emissions from dairy feed crops at field sites located in Eastern Ontario. The position is based in Ottawa.
Responsibilities of the successful applicant will include field work, lab work, and data analysis, including:
- Working outdoors in all types of weather, including winter.
- Collecting and preparing samples of plants, soil, water and air from field plots.
- Assisting in moving and installing field equipment including dataloggers and sensors.
- Entering field data into spreadsheets.
- Preparing supplies for sampling using lab equipment (e.g., evacuation of sample vials and preparation of standard gases for gas chromatography)
- Preparing plant samples for laboratory analysis
- Writing brief technical documents
- English Essential
- Previous field work experience
- Working knowledge of research methods
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow precise instructions
- Ability to independently follow sampling protocols
- Ability to coordinate and effectively communicate with others
- Flexible Schedule
- College diploma or University degree in Environmental Science, Agriculture, Plant Science, Earth Sciences, Geography, Environmental Engineering, Chemistry, Biology
- Previous experience working in a chemistry lab
- Valid class G driver’s license
Send us a cover letter and resume highlighting how you meet the requirements listed above along with 2 references by August 19th, 2014.
Potential start date: September 2nd, 2014
Indeed - 8 months ago