University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference.
U of C is where everyone tants to join
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2012
Working as a Teaching Assistant in the department of chemistry has been an exciting experience for me. The colleagues, administrative staff and the faculty at U of C are supportive, a factor that brings the best out of everyone.
Excellent place to work, employees are treated exceptionally well
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 8, 2014
I very much enjoyed my time furthering my accounting experience at the University, however eventually concluded that I wished to return to my legal assisting roots.
Excellent experience.
Casual Assistant/Study Monitor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2013
My supervisors were the best. Made sure I felt welcome, comfortable and I was looked after. We need more organizations who value their employees, temp. or pernament staff.
Pros
close to my home, could walk to work.
Great people to work with
Marketing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2014
As a sessional instructor it can be challenging at times. My colleagues accepted me right away and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the school.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
a lot of prep time as a sessional instructor
Interesting Adventure
Geology Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2012
- A typical day at work was filled with exploration, mapping, studying and inferring
- Learned various geological techniques (some good… others not so much)
Pros
gained lots of knowledge
Cons
environment, poor teachers
Productive and fun when engaging with other students
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
My volunteer work consisted of me being pro-active in promoting the Undergraduate Law and Society Association (ULSA) club during "Club Week" at U of C. I assisted in promoting to students from various programs (Business, Communication Studies, Law students, various first year students, etc.); by informally communicating information regarding the events that the club holds, and the organizations that sponsor the club. The people I worked with were fantastic and energetic; we are all very passionate about Law and Society, so I enjoyed volunteering. The hardest part of the job is being able to get students to pay for the sign-up fee, which is collected to place funds towards the events the club coordinates for those who do join. I learned how to campaign effectively, approach students in a orderly manner and I learned how to handle rejection as well as, skills to communicate effectively.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
having to volunteer overtime, into another volunteers shift, due to them running late
Educational and enjoyable
Sponsorship Commissioner (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2015
UofC is a great place to get involved in extracurricular activities and gain valuable experiences.
GNSS RECEIVER DESIGN
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  CALGARYFebruary 25, 2013
perform research and development on high Precision Point Position(PPP),
anti-jamming method design for next-generation GNSS receivers
Team Learder on GNSS receiver | BeijingMicroelectronics
ups and downs
Instrumentation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2012
Its a university, so the money isn't great, and in my field as a chemist, not much room to advance without a Ph.D. Good benefits, expensive pension plan, but a good plan nonetheless.
benefits
Cons
salary
A good place to work
Academic Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 28, 2013
I work in a fast paced environment with a very diverse group of individuals. There is never a dull moment. I find my job interesting and challenging and things change on a moments notice.
Excellent University Environment
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2014
The research being undertaken at the University of Calgary is exceptional, with research opportunities being well supported monetarily and collaboratively.
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no real cons, it was good working there.
The best place to work for if life and work balance is the main objective
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 17, 2013
Science oriented environment with relatively slower pace compared to the industry which offers less stressful workplace
Productive and fun workplace. People are great to work with.
Porter/ Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 9, 2014
I love my job at the university.
The best part of my job are the people i work with.
Pros
great benifits and work mates.
Cons
none.
Working with classmates is fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2012
Working on group assignments or projects with students at university makes you active.
Pros
volunteering opportunities
Cons
not too much health coverage, high tuition
An intellectually challenging and rewarding atmosphere.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2013
A great place to work and study and exchange knowledge and ideas. However, just like other educational institutions, underfunded.
Great job opportunity
Bilingual Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2014
It was not a permanent position, but I did enjoy doing research for the French Immersion program and the professor I was working with was great.
Productive and Fun Workpalce
Instructor with Minds in Motion (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2014
Excellent workplace for students who are in education and need experience. Flexible and resolvable hours.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Overall it was a good experience for me to work at the University of Calgary before I decided to change my qualification from Research Technician to Quality.

4.2