University of Calgary Employee Reviews

It is Nice and active lace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2014
It is a progressive and challenging media which makes it live and interesting to work.
Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2014
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
great balance of work and personal life
Few options to move up
Administrative Assistant, Metabolic Research Team (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2014
Typical day - sit at desk and type
Learned - right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing administratively
Management - depends entirely on who you report to
Co-workers - friendly, helpful
Hardest part - learning how processes work this week
Enjoyable - feel at home at university
Great people to work with
Marketing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2014
As a sessional instructor it can be challenging at times. My colleagues accepted me right away and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the school.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
A lot of prep time as a sessional instructor
Productive and fun when engaging with other students
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2014
My volunteer work consisted of me being pro-active in promoting the Undergraduate Law and Society Association (ULSA) club during "Club Week" at U of C. I assisted in promoting to students from various programs (Business, Communication Studies, Law students, various first year students, etc.); by informally communicating information regarding the events that the club holds, and the organizations that sponsor the club. The people I worked with were fantastic and energetic; we are all very passionate about Law and Society, so I enjoyed volunteering. The hardest part of the job is being able to get students to pay for the sign-up fee, which is collected to place funds towards the events the club coordinates for those who do join. I learned how to campaign effectively, approach students in a orderly manner and I learned how to handle rejection as well as, skills to communicate effectively.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Having to volunteer overtime, into another volunteers shift, due to them running late
Productive and fun place to work
Graduate teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2014
Broad and Interesting intellectuals to work with
Excellent managerial team
very supportive environment for learning and work
Excellent place to work, employees are treated exceptionally well
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 January 2014
I very much enjoyed my time furthering my accounting experience at the University, however eventually concluded that I wished to return to my legal assisting roots.
Good work place
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgary6 January 2014
Good work atmosphere , helpful co-workers and innovative .
Good Learning oportunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta4 December 2013
As a research Assistant I was given quite a bit of responsibility and was able to participate in a vast array of jobs. I learned many things, however the rate of pay was minimal and there was very little proper safety measures in place for workers.
Reading papers and performing experiment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2013
Reading papers on oil&gas indudtry
Performed experiment of In-situ upgrading of heavy oil by DC electricity
Learned lots of knowledge of Test and Oil & gas science
Organized experiment
My co-workers are nice and warm heart
The hardest part of the job is installation of the experiment
The most enjoyable part of the job is conducting experiment
Productive work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2013
Modeling
Computer simulation
Productive work
Working with software packages
A good place to work
Academic Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2013
I work in a fast paced environment with a very diverse group of individuals. There is never a dull moment. I find my job interesting and challenging and things change on a moments notice.
The best place to work for if life and work balance is the main objective
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2013
Science oriented environment with relatively slower pace compared to the industry which offers less stressful workplace
Never a dull moment
Associate Director (Research) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2013
The university offers a great place to work flexible hours and have a fulfilling career.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of upward movement
there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2013
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management.
Pros
good research place
highly productive
flood relief (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2013
voluntary service and with the company well organized in a fast paced working environment, hard working person which has a goal that want to achieve it.
Stressful but good benefits
Human Resources Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2013
The pay and benefits are beyond good. But, you'd better have iron will and a great way to relieve stress because you'll be pushed to your limits and then some and then some more. It's a hard, fast, and demanding place to be. But honestly, the benefits do make it worth every bit.
Pros
Benefits are amazing
Cons
Very stressful work environment
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2013
Overall it was a good experience for me to work at the University of Calgary before I decided to change my qualification from Research Technician to Quality.
Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference.
Not enough work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2013
I never seemed to have enough work to do. I was always efficient in the work they gave me, but maybe too efficient. The co workers were nice people, but were hard to get to know.
I really liked the environment and working at a university.
Pros
Classes I could take
Cons
not enough wok

4.2