University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Research Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Overall it was a good experience for me to work at the University of Calgary before I decided to change my qualification from Research Technician to Quality.
Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, – more... any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference. – less
Not enough work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Pros: classes i could take
Cons: not enough wok
I never seemed to have enough work to do. I was always efficient in the work they gave me, but maybe too efficient. The co workers were nice people, but were hard to get to know.
I really liked the environment and working at a university.
Good Univeesity for mechanical!
TA (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2013
I am a master in UofC. I had to say that UC is a good place for anyone who want to learn pipeline or GPS.
Ok
Project Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2013
Learned alot and made friends from university. Good school for geophysicists
Great values and vision.
EA to the Vice-President (Development) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: lack of work-life balance
Lots of variety.
The hardest part of the job is "work-life balance".
Co-workers are enthusiastic.
Very productive, fast learning environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 20, 2013
I have gained lots of theoretical and experimental knowledge about thermal and hydro cracking of heavy oil bitumen using thermocouple reactor. In addition to run experiments and collect data I was introduced to many techniques of data analysis
Productive and fun workplace
Open cerebrovascular felloship (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 9, 2013
Pros: great education
Cons: non
I love neurosurgery and I enjoy everything in neurosurgery. I like team work, hard working, and collaboration of experiences.
I love cerebrovascular/Endovascular, Spine, neurotrauma and radiosurgery and recently Image guided neurosurgery.
A challenging work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2013
Pros: you are constantly learning
Cons: it is seasonal
Working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) keeps you on your toes all the time because you have deadlines to meet, papers to grade, and students to advise. Overall, it is richly rewarding because you are helping to make people's life better. More so, the University of Calgary provides you with a conducive environment to excel on the job.
An intellectually challenging and rewarding atmosphere.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2013
A great place to work and study and exchange knowledge and ideas. However, just like other educational institutions, underfunded.
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: no real cons, it was good working there.
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses – more... in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great. – less
Faculty of Medicine
Administration (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 11, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: pretty much everything
The Faculty of Medicine was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The management was horrible to the staff unless you were one of the staff who had a parent that was a Doctor on staff and there were quite a few. I have never been treated that poorly.
The best broadcasting experience you could ask for.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2013
The great thing about doing playbyplay at the University of Calgary is how much they much put into the presentation of live sports events. Unlike many universities in Canada, they have a full production team behind their webcast, it's essentially made for TV. It It includes multiple camera angles, replay, live interviews, etc., unlike many webcasts – more... which have just the stationary camera moving back and forth. I'm so thankful to be continuing my playbyplay dream at such a great working environment. – less
Good place to work and learn
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2013
Good place to work and learn.
35 hrs a week, good management, experienced team, not much overtime.
Fun to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2013
• Responsible for $10m budget program within the three constraints.
 MS Suite Implementation project
 Network Infrastructure renewal project
• Responsible to communicate with the Internal & External project stakeholders
• Executes policies and procedures for the engagement project, e.g. quality assurance, Communication plan, and setting up the environment.
Excellent experience.
Casual Assistant/Study Monitor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: close to my home, could walk to work.
My supervisors were the best. Made sure I felt welcome, comfortable and I was looked after. We need more organizations who value their employees, temp. or pernament staff.
Graduate studied at UofC
Experimental and Simulation Researcher-PhD Student (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: work in university and access to labs and simulators
Cons: lack of idustry experience
Achieving research at University of Calgary is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible. All people in the research group do their best to raise the quality of work and enhance the knowledge in petroleum engineering. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of work are dealing with difficult problems and reo=solving them.
Good for work/life balance
Recruitment Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: lower pay
Good place to be if you want job security and work/life balance. However, it does not offer much in the way of career advancement unless you've been there for an extremely long time. Unionized environment. Access to campus facilities.
Assisted the Economics Professors
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2012
Conducting invigilation's, evaluations and marking exams.
Good
Research Assistant, Software Engineering (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2012
It was a great place for learning, education, practice and work.

About University of Calgary

The University of Calgary (sometimes abbreviated "The U of C") is a public university in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The – Read more