University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A challenging work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 8, 2013
Pros: you are constantly learning
Cons: it is seasonal
Working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) keeps you on your toes all the time because you have deadlines to meet, papers to grade, and students to advise. Overall, it is richly rewarding because you are helping to make people's life better. More so, the University of Calgary provides you with a conducive environment to excel on the job.
An intellectually challenging and rewarding atmosphere.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2013
A great place to work and study and exchange knowledge and ideas. However, just like other educational institutions, underfunded.
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: no real cons, it was good working there.
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses – more... in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great. – less
Faculty of Medicine
Administration (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 11, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: pretty much everything
The Faculty of Medicine was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The management was horrible to the staff unless you were one of the staff who had a parent that was a Doctor on staff and there were quite a few. I have never been treated that poorly.
The best broadcasting experience you could ask for.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2013
The great thing about doing playbyplay at the University of Calgary is how much they much put into the presentation of live sports events. Unlike many universities in Canada, they have a full production team behind their webcast, it's essentially made for TV. It It includes multiple camera angles, replay, live interviews, etc., unlike many webcasts – more... which have just the stationary camera moving back and forth. I'm so thankful to be continuing my playbyplay dream at such a great working environment. – less
Good place to work and learn
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2013
Good place to work and learn.
35 hrs a week, good management, experienced team, not much overtime.
Fun to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2013
• Responsible for $10m budget program within the three constraints.
 MS Suite Implementation project
 Network Infrastructure renewal project
• Responsible to communicate with the Internal & External project stakeholders
• Executes policies and procedures for the engagement project, e.g. quality assurance, Communication plan, and setting up the environment.
Excellent experience.
Casual Assistant/Study Monitor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: close to my home, could walk to work.
My supervisors were the best. Made sure I felt welcome, comfortable and I was looked after. We need more organizations who value their employees, temp. or pernament staff.
Graduate studied at UofC
Experimental and Simulation Researcher-PhD Student (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: work in university and access to labs and simulators
Cons: lack of idustry experience
Achieving research at University of Calgary is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible. All people in the research group do their best to raise the quality of work and enhance the knowledge in petroleum engineering. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of work are dealing with difficult problems and reo=solving them.
Good for work/life balance
Recruitment Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: lower pay
Good place to be if you want job security and work/life balance. However, it does not offer much in the way of career advancement unless you've been there for an extremely long time. Unionized environment. Access to campus facilities.
Assisted the Economics Professors
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 22, 2012
Conducting invigilation's, evaluations and marking exams.
Good
Research Assistant, Software Engineering (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2012
It was a great place for learning, education, practice and work.
Educational
Executive Assistant to the Executive Director (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2012
Pros: fast paced and constantly changing
Cons: no training or processes in place for the role
I have never worked in an educational enviroment before and found it challenging in many different aspects. I enjoyed the working enviroment as it was fast paced and ever changing.
Learning Experience
Community Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2012
Pros: networking
Cons: hours were all over the place
I worked as a Community Advisor(CA) during my last two years of my University degree. It was enjoyable and I had to live in residence. I found balancing between my job as a CA and finishing my work for classes was difficult but it definitely taught me how to multi-task. The hardest part of the job was dealing with adults who were violating rules. The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new students. – less
under new management
Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 11, 2012
Management has rolled over many times in the last few months with no clear direction. Staff moral is low.
ups and downs
Instrumentation Technologist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: salary
Its a university, so the money isn't great, and in my field as a chemist, not much room to advance without a Ph.D. Good benefits, expensive pension plan, but a good plan nonetheless.
U of C is where everyone tants to join
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2012
Working as a Teaching Assistant in the department of chemistry has been an exciting experience for me. The colleagues, administrative staff and the faculty at U of C are supportive, a factor that brings the best out of everyone.
Nice
P.A.S.S. Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2012
Nice place to work, friendly co-workers honest environment.
Research work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 18, 2012
Pros: no free lunches
Cons: sometime long hours.
Highly supervised work including private work for the research Head. This required after hour work schedule.
Nice place for work and live
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2012
Nice place for work and live

Good co-workers

Continue the study on location-based social networks.

About University of Calgary

The University of Calgary (sometimes abbreviated "The U of C") is a public university in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The – Read more