University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
great balance of work and personal life
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no real cons, it was good working there.
there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2013
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management.
Pros
good research place
Productive and fun when engaging with other students
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
My volunteer work consisted of me being pro-active in promoting the Undergraduate Law and Society Association (ULSA) club during "Club Week" at U of C. I assisted in promoting to students from various programs (Business, Communication Studies, Law students, various first year students, etc.); by informally communicating information regarding the events that the club holds, and the organizations that sponsor the club. The people I worked with were fantastic and energetic; we are all very passionate about Law and Society, so I enjoyed volunteering. The hardest part of the job is being able to get students to pay for the sign-up fee, which is collected to place funds towards the events the club coordinates for those who do join. I learned how to campaign effectively, approach students in a orderly manner and I learned how to handle rejection as well as, skills to communicate effectively.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
having to volunteer overtime, into another volunteers shift, due to them running late
Productive, well coordinated and an enjoyable place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2014
A typical day at work would include processing outgoing books, organizing incoming books and inputting book data into the computer system. Management was excellent and very accommodating of my school schedule which was appreciated. I had great co-workers, which made the job that much better.
Cons
low pay
The best broadcasting experience you could ask for.
Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2013
The great thing about doing playbyplay at the University of Calgary is how much they much put into the presentation of live sports events. Unlike many universities in Canada, they have a full production team behind their webcast, it's essentially made for TV. It It includes multiple camera angles, replay, live interviews, etc., unlike many webcasts which have just the stationary camera moving back and forth. I'm so thankful to be continuing my playbyplay dream at such a great working environment.
Superb experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A sense of resourcefulness served me well in this role! I had the privilege of supporting a dynamic, cohesive team. It was the most stunning example of professionalism that I've encountered in a workplace.
Few options to move up
Administrative Assistant, Metabolic Research Team (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2014
Typical day - sit at desk and type
Learned - right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing administratively
Management - depends entirely on who you report to
Co-workers - friendly, helpful
Hardest part - learning how processes work this week
Enjoyable - feel at home at university
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 17, 2015
My job as a researcher at the UofC do not involve interacting with others often.
The job is easy in general as long as you are productive, you manage your own schedule which gives flexibility to parents with kids. The only problem is, it is not a permanent job.
Research work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 18, 2012
Highly supervised work including private work for the research Head. This required after hour work schedule.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
sometime long hours.
awesome work environment
Server/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day is:
set up the station
make a good looking display
excellent customer service
answer customer questions about meal's preparation and warning about allergies
information about nutrition facts
good coordination with the people in the kitchen
Pros
the customer satisfaction and their smiles
Cons
some time, ong hours
Great values and vision.
EA to the Vice-President (Development) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2013
Lots of variety.
The hardest part of the job is "work-life balance".
Co-workers are enthusiastic.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of work-life balance
great benefits
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 25, 2012
flexible, interesting, good location, lots of variety of jobs to work in
Pros
great place
Cons
can be long hours
Faculty of Medicine
Administration (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 11, 2013
The Faculty of Medicine was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The management was horrible to the staff unless you were one of the staff who had a parent that was a Doctor on staff and there were quite a few. I have never been treated that poorly.
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
pretty much everything
Learning Experience
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2012
I worked as a Community Advisor(CA) during my last two years of my University degree. It was enjoyable and I had to live in residence. I found balancing between my job as a CA and finishing my work for classes was difficult but it definitely taught me how to multi-task. The hardest part of the job was dealing with adults who were violating rules. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new students.
Pros
networking
Cons
hours were all over the place
Great research opportunities
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 17, 2014
At the Schulich school of engineering, graduate students have the opportunity to closely collaborate with professionals from the related industry. Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering is well-known for its world renowned scholars and professors and close collaboration with oil industry.
Never a dull moment
Associate Director (Research) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2013
The university offers a great place to work flexible hours and have a fulfilling career.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of upward movement
A challenging work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 8, 2013
Working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) keeps you on your toes all the time because you have deadlines to meet, papers to grade, and students to advise. Overall, it is richly rewarding because you are helping to make people's life better. More so, the University of Calgary provides you with a conducive environment to excel on the job.
Pros
you are constantly learning
Cons
it is seasonal
Good place to work and learn
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2013
Good place to work and learn.
35 hrs a week, good management, experienced team, not much overtime.
Reading papers and performing experiment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Reading papers on oil&gas indudtry
Performed experiment of In-situ upgrading of heavy oil by DC electricity
Learned lots of knowledge of Test and Oil & gas science
Organized experiment
My co-workers are nice and warm heart
The hardest part of the job is installation of the experiment
The most enjoyable part of the job is conducting experiment

4.2