University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
Pros
Earning money while studying
Cons
No advancement
Good place to work. very good people with them
Researcher - Master (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Fun Place to work. challenging work with lots of opportuinities to learn. Good opportunities for research and steping up to new opportunities. Flexible schedule is a plus
Pros
very good learning opportunities
Graduate studied at UofC
Experimental and Simulation Researcher-PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Achieving research at University of Calgary is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible. All people in the research group do their best to raise the quality of work and enhance the knowledge in petroleum engineering. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of work are dealing with difficult problems and reo=solving them.
Pros
work in university and access to labs and simulators
Cons
lack of idustry experience
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Pros
Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons
Tight deadlines
Research intensive university.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2015
Teaching quality is good. Research output got scope to improve. One thing UoC can possibly do is encourage more industry collaborations in research.

Been a good experience doing a thesis-based Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Enjoyed my time out there.
Good for work/life balance
Recruitment Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Good place to be if you want job security and work/life balance. However, it does not offer much in the way of career advancement unless you've been there for an extremely long time. Unionized environment. Access to campus facilities.
Pros
good work/life balance
Cons
lower pay
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 29, 2015
Emphasis is placed on hiring part time professors. More so, collegiality needs to be improved among workers. Salary for part time staff is average. Sessional instructors have little to no benefits.
Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference.
easy going school
Phd candidate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2015
friendly atmosphere, salary is low but you get alot of freedom and flexibilities, nice supervisors and very equiped laboratories
Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
great balance of work and personal life
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no real cons, it was good working there.
Great people, great job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
I loved working as a teaching assistant because not only did I get to interact with students but I also worked alongside some great professors who are knowledgeable in their area. I gained a lot of leadership skills from running tutorial sessions for students and balancing the workload of being both a student and a teaching assistant.
Pros
Great coworkers, flexible
Cons
there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2013
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management.
Pros
good research place
A good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dept of GeosciencesAugust 27, 2015
I have worked in the University for past 2 years . Working there as a teaching assistant and taking courses have been a great time for me .
Pros
Good food court
Cons
Difficult Courses
University of Calgary
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
As I worked as a teaching assistant I was not a full time employee. Along with my work I focused on my study. Sometimes it was hard to balance between these two due to exam pressure. Otherwise, it was a great experience to work with different professors, dealing with students and so on.
This is a fascinating environment to work
Statistical Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
University of Calgary is an academic environment with people from diverse background. It provided conducive environment for all her employees and students.
Good interim job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2015
Only worked for them a year. Seemed like a good place, but I didn't plan to stay in the position from the start. It was a filler while looking for better work. Very good to work with, but the AUPE union was of no help when looking at better internal positions. The U of C wasn't interested in retaining me at a better job.
Productive, well coordinated and an enjoyable place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2014
A typical day at work would include processing outgoing books, organizing incoming books and inputting book data into the computer system. Management was excellent and very accommodating of my school schedule which was appreciated. I had great co-workers, which made the job that much better.
Cons
low pay

4.2