University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Dept of GeosciencesAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Good food court
Cons: Difficult Courses
I have worked in the University for past 2 years . Working there as a teaching assistant and taking courses have been a great time for me .
University of Calgary
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
As I worked as a teaching assistant I was not a full time employee. Along with my work I focused on my study. Sometimes it was hard to balance between these two due to exam pressure. Otherwise, it was a great experience to work with different professors, dealing with students and so on.
This is a fascinating environment to work
Statistical Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
University of Calgary is an academic environment with people from diverse background. It provided conducive environment for all her employees and students.
Graduate studied at UofC
Experimental and Simulation Researcher-PhD Student (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: work in university and access to labs and simulators
Cons: lack of idustry experience
Achieving research at University of Calgary is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible. All people in the research group do their best to raise the quality of work and enhance the knowledge in petroleum engineering. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of work are dealing with difficult problems and reo=solving them.
Good interim job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2015
Only worked for them a year. Seemed like a good place, but I didn't plan to stay in the position from the start. It was a filler while looking for better work. Very good to work with, but the AUPE union was of no help when looking at better internal positions. The U of C wasn't interested in retaining me at a better job.
Good for work/life balance
Recruitment Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: lower pay
Good place to be if you want job security and work/life balance. However, it does not offer much in the way of career advancement unless you've been there for an extremely long time. Unionized environment. Access to campus facilities.
Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference.
Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
Pros: great balance of work and personal life
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job.
Solid employement enviroment, great opportunity, good work-life balance.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: no real cons, it was good working there.
I was multitasking during the working day, from 8:30 until 4:30.
Basically, I had to know all required policies and procedures including administrative assistant manuals. I have learned to obtain requisitions, to use PeopleSoft system, and room access programing as well. Additionally, during my work at the University of Calgary, I've completed courses in Communication Strategies for Leading Groups, Human Behavior in Organizations, Management Communications Interpersonal Skills, and Learning Online course at Continued Education.
The top management and closest co-workers were very supportive and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was my supervisor with her micromanagement attitude.
Any way, I very much enjoyed to my work, took great pride in my accomplishments there, and gained much satisfaction,knowing that my work was an important part of the whole process. There was every day a chance to do something great.
there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: good research place
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management.
Superb experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A sense of resourcefulness served me well in this role! I had the privilege of supporting a dynamic, cohesive team. It was the most stunning example of professionalism that I've encountered in a workplace.
Productive, well coordinated and an enjoyable place to work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2014
Cons: low pay
A typical day at work would include processing outgoing books, organizing incoming books and inputting book data into the computer system. Management was excellent and very accommodating of my school schedule which was appreciated. I had great co-workers, which made the job that much better.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 17, 2015
My job as a researcher at the UofC do not involve interacting with others often.
The job is easy in general as long as you are productive, you manage your own schedule which gives flexibility to parents with kids. The only problem is, it is not a permanent job.
researcher and biologist
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2014
It is excellent place and friendly environment with lots of benefits.
Few options to move up
Administrative Assistant, Metabolic Research Team (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2014
Typical day - sit at desk and type
Learned - right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing administratively
Management - depends entirely on who you report to
Co-workers - friendly, helpful
Hardest part - learning how processes work this week
Enjoyable - feel at home at university
Stressful but good benefits
Human Resources Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2013
Pros: benefits are amazing
Cons: very stressful work environment
The pay and benefits are beyond good. But, you'd better have iron will and a great way to relieve stress because you'll be pushed to your limits and then some and then some more. It's a hard, fast, and demanding place to be. But honestly, the benefits do make it worth every bit.
Productive and fun workplace. People are great to work with.
Porter/ Administrative assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: great benifits and work mates.
Cons: none.
I love my job at the university.
The best part of my job are the people i work with.
awesome work environment
Server/Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: the customer satisfaction and their smiles
Cons: some time, ong hours
A typical day is:
set up the station
make a good looking display
excellent customer service
answer customer questions about meal's preparation and warning about allergies
information about nutrition facts
good coordination with the people in the kitchen
Faculty of Medicine
Administration (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 11, 2013
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: pretty much everything
The Faculty of Medicine was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The management was horrible to the staff unless you were one of the staff who had a parent that was a Doctor on staff and there were quite a few. I have never been treated that poorly.
Never a dull moment
Associate Director (Research) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: lack of upward movement
The university offers a great place to work flexible hours and have a fulfilling career.