University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
Pros: great balance of work and personal life
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always – more... be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Few options to move up
Administrative Assistant, Metabolic Research Team (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2014
Typical day - sit at desk and type
Learned - right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing administratively
Management - depends entirely on who you report to
Co-workers - friendly, helpful
Hardest part - learning how processes work this week
Enjoyable - feel at home at university
Great people to work with
Marketing Instructor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: great colleagues
Cons: a lot of prep time as a sessional instructor
As a sessional instructor it can be challenging at times. My colleagues accepted me right away and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the school.
Productive and fun when engaging with other students
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: having to volunteer overtime, into another volunteers shift, due to them running late
My volunteer work consisted of me being pro-active in promoting the Undergraduate Law and Society Association (ULSA) club during "Club Week" at U of C. I assisted in promoting to students from various programs (Business, Communication Studies, Law students, various first year students, etc.); by informally communicating information regarding the events – more... that the club holds, and the organizations that sponsor the club. The people I worked with were fantastic and energetic; we are all very passionate about Law and Society, so I enjoyed volunteering. The hardest part of the job is being able to get students to pay for the sign-up fee, which is collected to place funds towards the events the club coordinates for those who do join. I learned how to campaign effectively, approach students in a orderly manner and I learned how to handle rejection as well as, skills to communicate effectively. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Graduate teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 12, 2014
Broad and Interesting intellectuals to work with
Excellent managerial team
very supportive environment for learning and work
Excellent place to work, employees are treated exceptionally well
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee), CalgaryJanuary 8, 2014
I very much enjoyed my time furthering my accounting experience at the University, however eventually concluded that I wished to return to my legal assisting roots.
Good work place
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), calgaryJanuary 6, 2014
Good work atmosphere , helpful co-workers and innovative .
Good Learning oportunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaDecember 4, 2013
As a research Assistant I was given quite a bit of responsibility and was able to participate in a vast array of jobs. I learned many things, however the rate of pay was minimal and there was very little proper safety measures in place for workers.
Reading papers and performing experiment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Reading papers on oil&gas indudtry
Performed experiment of In-situ upgrading of heavy oil by DC electricity
Learned lots of knowledge of Test and Oil & gas science
Organized experiment
My co-workers are nice and warm heart
The hardest part of the job is installation of the experiment
The most enjoyable part of the job is conducting experiment
Productive work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 22, 2013
Modeling
Computer simulation
Productive work
Working with software packages
A good place to work
Academic Operations Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 28, 2013
I work in a fast paced environment with a very diverse group of individuals. There is never a dull moment. I find my job interesting and challenging and things change on a moments notice.
The best place to work for if life and work balance is the main objective
Research Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 17, 2013
Science oriented environment with relatively slower pace compared to the industry which offers less stressful workplace
Never a dull moment
Associate Director (Research) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: lack of upward movement
The university offers a great place to work flexible hours and have a fulfilling career.
there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: good research place
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review – more... the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management. – less
highly productive
flood relief (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2013
voluntary service and with the company well organized in a fast paced working environment, hard working person which has a goal that want to achieve it.
Stressful but good benefits
Human Resources Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2013
Pros: benefits are amazing
Cons: very stressful work environment
The pay and benefits are beyond good. But, you'd better have iron will and a great way to relieve stress because you'll be pushed to your limits and then some and then some more. It's a hard, fast, and demanding place to be. But honestly, the benefits do make it worth every bit.
Research Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Overall it was a good experience for me to work at the University of Calgary before I decided to change my qualification from Research Technician to Quality.
Amazing support staff and excellent environment!!
Chemical technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Most research is self directed. Chemicals are sorted and classified, then are prepared for shipping. Tests are done on unknown to classify the compounds to a first class (pH, Oxidative, halogens, and solvents).
I have learned many different ways to classify compounds and have been given training on analytic machines such as NMR.
Management is amazing, – more... any concerns I have are addressed very timely and support is given when needed. It is a very relaxed environment where tons of work is completed everyday.
Co-workers are very friendly and eager to help with assistance. They are also very personable and always enjoy a good conversation.
There is really no hard part about the job but if I had to list one it would be getting materials, this is mostly due to the suppliers and not the purchaser.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the knowledge I gain on a daily basis and the satisfaction of making a difference. – less
Not enough work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2013
Pros: classes i could take
Cons: not enough wok
I never seemed to have enough work to do. I was always efficient in the work they gave me, but maybe too efficient. The co workers were nice people, but were hard to get to know.
I really liked the environment and working at a university.
Good Univeesity for mechanical!
TA (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2013
I am a master in UofC. I had to say that UC is a good place for anyone who want to learn pipeline or GPS.

About University of Calgary

The University of Calgary (sometimes abbreviated "The U of C") is a public university in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The – Read more