University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Summer On Call Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2016
A typical day involved performing rounds, responding to inquiries posed by residents and ensuring that the conditions of the Resident Agreement is upheld. Work was very interactive. The benefits package was good.
Fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2016
I am a teaching assistant and my job is enjoyable as it allows me to progress in my learning, while helping others in theirs.
Fun stable teaching position
University Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
I love teaching with the UofC , there is lots of great oppurtunities and I got to teach and travel abroad .Also learnt how to properly create and grade report cards for students
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities
Research Associate (E.I.T) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities. Great place to learn, to teach and to network.
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2016
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.

There is support from the higher offices for support staff to do their jobs.
Fun working experience with flexible working hours
Nursing Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2016
Highly recommended for students who want to learn more in depth about certain nursing topics. You get to learn more about the research process.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
Great University
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2016
Considerable for students and staffs. Lots of talented guys. Life is also great. Very nice university for international students.
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2015
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons
You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee) –  foothills campus8 October 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
fun and secured work place
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
Nice environment, Nice supervisor, Got the opportunity to explore and apply my own ideas. Published three technical papers in the premier jourals
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2015
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Pros
Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons
Tight deadlines
Research intensive university.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 September 2015
Teaching quality is good. Research output got scope to improve. One thing UoC can possibly do is encourage more industry collaborations in research.

Been a good experience doing a thesis-based Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Enjoyed my time out there.
Great people, great job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2015
I loved working as a teaching assistant because not only did I get to interact with students but I also worked alongside some great professors who are knowledgeable in their area. I gained a lot of leadership skills from running tutorial sessions for students and balancing the workload of being both a student and a teaching assistant.
Pros
Great coworkers, flexible
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2015
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
Pros
Earning money while studying
Cons
No advancement
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2015
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons
Unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
University of Calgary
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2015
As I worked as a teaching assistant I was not a full time employee. Along with my work I focused on my study. Sometimes it was hard to balance between these two due to exam pressure. Otherwise, it was a great experience to work with different professors, dealing with students and so on.
Great place to wrok and gain banquet/catering experience
Catering Supervisor/Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2014
Monday to Friday with occasional weekend shifts (depending on the business volume). I work with a great team of banquet cooks who love their job, and enjoy working at the UofC. The various elements of buffet, personal VIP dishes, and over the average allergy and food restriction requests - all of that creates a job environment where one must always be 100% cautious of his/her actions. Being surrounded by a team of loyal and fun employees and great, skilled management team - becomes the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
great balance of work and personal life

4.2