University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor Management
Student Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work.
Poor structured of leadership.3 bosses in 12 months-4 office locations in 16 months.
I was an independent office and sole practitioner, so high volume, high stress...LOW support from upper management. Working with students was the HIGHLIGHT...resolving disputes and seeing them make a way forward. Politics with Student Union made job untenable.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poorly structured job, Bad Manager, Conflict between SU and Admin.
Fun working experience with flexible working hours
Nursing Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
Highly recommended for students who want to learn more in depth about certain nursing topics. You get to learn more about the research process.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee) –  foothills campusOctober 8, 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
Its a great University
Alaska Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
The field survey was very eye opening to Archaeological jobs and requirements.
Very labour intensive, detail oriented, requires prior experience or extensive teaching and training.
Difficulties- accuracy and recording of site material and data collection
Enjoyable aspects - putside all of the time, discovering the past, making inferences on past cultures and human interactions
Productive and excellent learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2016
The research assistant job required for the individual to work on their own then report results back to the supervisor with interpretation of the collected data. The results were then discussed in group meetings and procedures were adjusted according to the suggestions provided for improvements.
Worst Place I have ever worked
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB (Doha)June 21, 2016
This was the worst, the absolute worst place I have ever worked. The HR department leadership calls faculty "dumb". People are bullies and the atmosphere is toxic. I have nothing good to say about this place. I wish I had never gone to work there.
Pros
salary is good
Cons
The most horrible people I have ever encountered
Great colleagues to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
Working in a research lab with several other graduate students was a great experience. It gave me the ability to work in a collaborative and studious environment. I was treated professionally and respectfully and learned a lot about research methods and processes, micro-electronics and biotechnology.
Pros
No set hours
Cons
More research and less hands-on
good environment
Reseach and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 7, 2016
as a teaching assistant, I learned a lot about team work. It was wonderful to see how experimental physics could be taught with fun and ease !
I had great co-workers. I enjoyed my interaction with students, their love and appreciation was the key to my advancement.
Productive and fun
Summer On Call Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
A typical day involved performing rounds, responding to inquiries posed by residents and ensuring that the conditions of the Resident Agreement is upheld. Work was very interactive. The benefits package was good.
Fun stable teaching position
University Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
I love teaching with the UofC , there is lots of great oppurtunities and I got to teach and travel abroad .Also learnt how to properly create and grade report cards for students
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities
Research Associate (E.I.T) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities. Great place to learn, to teach and to network.
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.

There is support from the higher offices for support staff to do their jobs.
Fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2016
I am a teaching assistant and my job is enjoyable as it allows me to progress in my learning, while helping others in theirs.
Great University
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2016
Considerable for students and staffs. Lots of talented guys. Life is also great. Very nice university for international students.
A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
fun and secured work place
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Nice environment, Nice supervisor, Got the opportunity to explore and apply my own ideas. Published three technical papers in the premier jourals
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons
unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons
You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
Pros
Earning money while studying
Cons
No advancement
Every day is something different and I love diversity in the workplace!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2014
Working with the University of Calgary has privileged me to meet new people from various cultures.

One of my strongest attributes is being a "people person". I have been able to work at the Information/Security Desk covering in the absence of the admin. Meeting and greeting people is and it has been noticed by my co-workers.

Because of the job title I am in it allows me to float to different offices covering for the administrative staff while they are away. Helping with filing back log, faxing, making new files or helping with the doctors.
Pros
meeting new people, taking courses for free, excellent benefits with flexible spending account.
Cons
not always shown appreciation for my effort from team lead(s).

4.2