University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Supportive of new graduates
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Biological science24 May 2017
The Biological Science Department at the University of Calgary works hard to make sure newly graduated students are given an opportunity to gain further experience before setting off into the working world.
Pros
Supportive faculty and peers
Cons
Administrative paperwork could be slightly more streamlined
Productive and nice environment you make
Transport organiser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
On a typical day of work, I receive customers with different moods and with unpredictable mood swings. It is not easy to determine characters at first view from what I realized because at times I got to speak to someone who was rude and bold to me. It was quite unfortunate but then to compose myself, I behaved gentlemanly.
At the same time, meeting new friends that were co-workers was also quite an incidence; some welcoming and friendly and others vice-versa. I try as much as possible to stay close to those who think I am good to them and I help them as much as I can if I had the opportunity to do so.My happiest moments were with such friendly people because they made work easy in that we were collaborative.
Provided growth and learning opportunities for employees
Co-op Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Was a great place to work as an intern because it provided many learning opportunities that allowed me to develop new skills. The culture is very collective and the offices and faculties try to work together to create a learning network within the organization.
Pros
Learning opportunities, variable work tasks
Cons
Very bureaucratic, sometimes took a long time to get approval for tasks
Great place to support students
Campus Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Great learning environment, but some management staff, professor, dean could be very unprofessional. Some people really need to get into the real world of work.
Pros
Days off, Vacation day
Cons
Pay
Great university to work for
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
I worked in the department of geosciences. Very nice professors, staff and fellow graduate students. Lots of students makes for a really fun atmosphere.
Nice work environment, good people to work with
Oil and Gas Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
University of Calgary is a good work place. Good people to work with Work balance with life . Time to and from work is good. Good benefits for workers. Many programs available to enjoy around campus in work day time and evening time
Pros
Goos work place, goos people to work with, good benefits
Cons
Hard to get a job here. Requires qork knowledge and experience
UofC
Administrative Float General Duties (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2017
A typical day at work requires constant multi tasking. Between speaking with patients, arranging physician schedules and prepping for clinics there is always a project to be working on.

The workplace culture is great, as I have an excellent team.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I play a roll in maintaining patient care, something I take pride in.
UofC
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2017
The University of Calgary is a great place to work if you have a family and are content with a high level of job security. It is less so if you are a person who wishes to grow in your role as a person and an employee, and is not for anyone who is of a competitive nature.
research assisant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NU30 March 2017
working in the field, using ice auger, ski doo, CTD casting, niskins bottles,

Working in extreme conditions of the Arctic, the hardest part of the job is not getting frost bite
Pros
expereince
Cons
Not relevant to my application as a nanny.
Medical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
I was put on disability for depression in 1991 from the U of C.
I enjoyed work there, very stimulating and good environment.
Learning Promoted
Interim Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
Perhaps because it is a post-secondary academic institution, there is a strong focus on individual learning to enhance one's skills---if only there were enough hours in a day to permit it. The University places an emphasis on continuous learning which is commendable. I took advantage of as many in-house courses as I could manage given my heavy workload.

The workplace culture is collegial and not a particularly competitive environment. Most work teams assist each other when there are deadlines to meet or extraordinarily onerous assignments.
Pros
Diversity of employees and wonderful park-like environment on campus
Cons
Focus seems to be on recruiting young employees & not more mature workers
Competitive Place
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2017
Receives not enough funding.
The colleagues are well-skilled and technical exchange of information will be there.
As with any other company, expect inter-faculty competition that may make or sink your day at work.
excellent
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2017
worked very hard and always friendly to customer ,
on time, follow company policy , etc..
good to volunteer at bike root , I enjoyed very much
Great Workplace
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
It was fun, and the interaction with student was great. I learnt a lot from this experience.I would love to do this again.
Provides practical training in management, materials management and procurement/purchasing
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2017
University of Calgary provides advanced training in engineering and management. It includes preparation of project scope, activities, materials management and schedules. It also includes preparing budgets, cost/man hour estimates, procurement/purchasing and quality controls.
Productive and thought provoking work environment
RESEARCH ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2017
Working the University of Calgary as a research assistant was a pleasant experience as the people I worked with were very easy to get along with and involved performing synthetic experiments to develop new compounds and to characterize the synthesized compounds through various means. Through my time as a research assistant I learned how to manage my time and perform tasks in a timely manner.
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Great place to be at, good support, flexible and understanding environment. There is room for growth and learning and professional development. THere is opportunity to provide input into the organization.
Multi cultural and friendly workplace
Research Assistant & Techer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2016
Working in the University of Calgary, you meet alot of interesting people, each having different opinions and points of views. This can have a benefit helping you see your job in different ways, and help you be more productive.
Overall a great place to work
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2016
The University of Calgary provides a positive environment to work for. Lately, the U of C has been investing in developing teaching and mentorship skills as well as investing in innovative research.
Pros
Professional Development
Rude and biased behaviour of co-workers
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 December 2016
Working at University of Calgary was my first international experience. I enjoyed teaching and communicating with students. However I always felt that co-workers were rude and and biased. The hardest part was to make them understand that how it felt to an international student far away from his/her family, when they behaved differently with us.
Pros
organisation of trade fairs
Cons
Lack of empathy in people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2