University of Calgary Employee Review

View all University of Calgary reviews

there is a good place to do the research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2013
It was my first year final exam, I have four exams and a report to be completed within two weeks, I give myself to develop a strict timetable from 6:00 am to midnight, every day keep energetic, my firstly review the last one exam, and finally review the first exam, in spare time to write report. Contact classmates formed 4 discussion groups, to review the past exams and share experience, eventually four courses I have got a good result. I learned how to do the time management and priority management.
Pros
good research place

Other University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Fun and productive
Energy Modeller/Sustainability Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2018
A place to work and grow your career. There are lots of opportunities for career development. The most enjoyable part of the job is collaborating with team members on sustainability projects.
Lackluster environment, pay and perks
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
The University of Calgary advertises great 100% medical benefits and good salaries. However, it's deceptive. Benefits are 100% up to small maximums (i.e. $30 per chiro appointment), so you end up using your entire HSA fairly quickly to cover the difference. The pension is a mandatory contribution of >10% of your gross salary, so say good bye to $400+ per month. Ultimately, my take home salary is equivalent to $10k less anywhere else with minimum benefits to make up for it.

As for work, it's a typical union environment where sub-par employees hang on and you won't get opportunities to build your skills outside of your job description. They do offer the UAdvance program which is a series of good professional development courses. But there are few jobs at the SPAIII level, so expect a bottle neck on advancement early in your career (depending on what level you start at).

Certain offices can be isolated from other staff, so it's difficult to get to know co-workers/network, even with people in your same role but different departments.

Unless you're solely focused on a post-secondary career, I would say look elsewhere for better development, pay and benefits.
Pros
Tuition benefits, union-mandated annual raises
Cons
High pay deductions, lack of opportunity