University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Great teaching experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
The university of Calgary offered me the ability to one my teaching skill sets, and development new tools for delivering effective lessons. I became a more confident teacher under the guidance of the different lab managers I worked under.
Very productive environment
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 September 2017
Had a great boss, interesting work, and overall, a very productive atmosphere, where it was easy to grow and obtain knowledge. Also, very good facilities and amenities.
Pros
Great food court
Cons
The odd unpleasant person.
Listed as a top employer
Manager Office of the Chancellor and Senate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2017
Growing organization
Many smart, professional people
Busy and fast passed
Strong sense of direction and goals
Commitment to mental health
Promotion from within is encouraged
Great work environment
accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2017
Back in 1998, the work provided me with an insight on the budget control and the use of expense report to control budget. It also provided me with what is considered acceptable expenses for field trips. The people there were very friendly and knowledgeable.

Management as more structured than my previous company.
Good place to work at
Casual Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2017
The university of Calgary is a good place to work at. They are accommodating and respectful. They pay well. They allow you to work how you want. They are will to train you.
Worklife balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary28 August 2017
Good Job Work/life balance but depending on your position.
Good location, park like setting.
There is too much politics.
Unless you're union, there is no job security.
Good and friendly environment
PASS Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2017
A good and friendly environment for students to both study and work. An effective place to learn and cooperate with peers. A good way of transferring information.
n/a
Migration Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2017
A great place to work, with good balance to the amount of work that comes your way, and the work that is still pending on your desk. The IT department was fun.
Good pay
Student Caller (Fundraiser) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2017
Little room for growth and little excitement as processes are outdated and management shies away from much change. Pay is good however and work hours allows for work/life balance.
Environment
Conference Facilitator and Special Events (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2017
Overall the University of Calgary is a very strict working environment. I has an open door policy and employees are generally comfortable. Pay is an issue as the budget may not be as flexible to accommodate the level of standards that the employee is demanded to perform.
Pros
Environment, Culture
Cons
Wage
Research and professional manager
CHORUS Research Project Business Manager and RA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2017
U of C was not kind to me at all after I fell on their uncleared stairs which has caused me great pain with concern about my health.
Research staff is not treated well.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
safety procedures not being followed
Fun with Summer Camps during training
Coach (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
Very flexible with employees as we were all athletes on the basketball team. Teaching and playing with kids during the day was enjoyable and often did not even feel like a job.
A very good institute of higher learning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2017
It is an excellent place to work. A friendly atmosphere where everybody is respected. Salary and benefits are generous. Lot of opportunities for growth within the organization.
Facilities Programs Management
Manager, Programs - Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2017
University of Calgary Facilities Programs, AUPE and Labor Relations management, Quality Control, Analytics, Documentation, Education and Compliance has become my main focus. My role also covers work with the Foothills Campus (a medical/academic complex). The University is a learning hub with a strong focus on research and academic excellence and I have gained experience and exposure in this environment from both operations and academic nuances.
Declining morale
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2017
U of C used to be a great place to work, but there is growing dissatisfaction within the management community who are expected to do more and more without appropriate compensation. Work-life balance is a thing of the past. Wellness support looks good on paper, but is not translated into the day-to-day environment. The leadership team is not trained or held accountable for mentoring or supporting employees to improve performance and maintain or increase morale. There is pervasive mentality that effectiveness should bubble up from the ranks rather than trickle down from leadership, and this is ineffective.

The most enjoyable part of the job is wonderful colleagues - the majority are willing to do whatever it takes to get the work done; however, the inevitable cost is exhaustion and negative attrition.
Pros
Excellent vacation benefits and competitive health benefits
Cons
Wage freezes of staff outside collective agreements; poor advancement opportunities
Great Work Site
1st year automotive apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
This was a great and engaging place to work, with great people and an ever changing environment. Overall I loved working their with the people and the machines.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Really Enjoy Working Here
Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2017
I love working at the University of Calgary! People are very nice here and very welcoming. I look forward to going to work, it is a great environment.
For students only
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
Easy to do job that is sometimes made unnecessarily hard for employees by management. The pay is not enough to stake anything on so definitely recommend having another source of income. Workplace environment is relaxed.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Fun place to work if you don't mind working hard
Conference and Event Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
The management and other workers are all very nice and easy to work with. This job involves a lot of walking and being on your feet, as well as a lot of lifting (light and heavy). Some days are extremely busy when there are a lot of events to set up, and some days are very slow when there are no events or if you only need to monitor. Overall an enjoyable job.
Pros
Often times you get free food.
Cons
Sometimes shifts can be very long or late (overnight), physically draining (must be in good shape)
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
I would recommend working there. It was a wonderful learning experience. All of the staff were very friendly and encouraging to all of the staff. This was an amazing opportunity for me.