University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Poor Management
Student Ombudsman (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Pros: Great coworkers
Cons: Poorly structured job, Bad Manager, Conflict between SU and Admin.
Great place to work.
Poor structured of leadership.3 bosses in 12 months-4 office locations in 16 months.
I was an independent office and sole practitioner, so high volume, high stress...LOW support from upper management. Working with students was the HIGHLIGHT...resolving disputes and seeing them make a way forward. Politics with Student Union made job untenable.
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee), foothills campusOctober 8, 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
Fun working experience with flexible working hours
Nursing Researcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long hours
Highly recommended for students who want to learn more in depth about certain nursing topics. You get to learn more about the research process.
Great colleagues to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
Pros: No set hours
Cons: More research and less hands-on
Working in a research lab with several other graduate students was a great experience. It gave me the ability to work in a collaborative and studious environment. I was treated professionally and respectfully and learned a lot about research methods and processes, micro-electronics and biotechnology.
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons: unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.
Stage Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.

There is support from the higher offices for support staff to do their jobs.
A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
fun and secured work place
Researcher (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Nice environment, Nice supervisor, Got the opportunity to explore and apply my own ideas. Published three technical papers in the premier jourals
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Earning money while studying
Cons: No advancement
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
Pros: Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons: You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Great University
General Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2016
Considerable for students and staffs. Lots of talented guys. Life is also great. Very nice university for international students.
Good place to work. very good people with them
Researcher - Master (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Pros: very good learning opportunities
Cons: long hours
Fun Place to work. challenging work with lots of opportuinities to learn. Good opportunities for research and steping up to new opportunities. Flexible schedule is a plus
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons: Tight deadlines
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Research intensive university.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2015
Teaching quality is good. Research output got scope to improve. One thing UoC can possibly do is encourage more industry collaborations in research.

Been a good experience doing a thesis-based Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Enjoyed my time out there.
Every day is something different and I love diversity in the workplace!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 18, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, taking courses for free, excellent benefits with flexible spending account.
Cons: not always shown appreciation for my effort from team lead(s).
Working with the University of Calgary has privileged me to meet new people from various cultures.

One of my strongest attributes is being a "people person". I have been able to work at the Information/Security Desk covering in the absence of the admin. Meeting and greeting people is and it has been noticed by my co-workers.

Because of the job title I am in it allows me to float to different offices covering for the administrative staff while they are away. Helping with filing back log, faxing, making new files or helping with the doctors.
Instructor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 29, 2015
Emphasis is placed on hiring part time professors. More so, collegiality needs to be improved among workers. Salary for part time staff is average. Sessional instructors have little to no benefits.
easy going school
Phd candidate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2015
friendly atmosphere, salary is low but you get alot of freedom and flexibilities, nice supervisors and very equiped laboratories
Great people, great job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, flexible
Cons: None
I loved working as a teaching assistant because not only did I get to interact with students but I also worked alongside some great professors who are knowledgeable in their area. I gained a lot of leadership skills from running tutorial sessions for students and balancing the workload of being both a student and a teaching assistant.