University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Good pay
Student Caller (Fundraiser) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2017
Little room for growth and little excitement as processes are outdated and management shies away from much change. Pay is good however and work hours allows for work/life balance.
Environment
Conference Facilitator and Special Events (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2017
Overall the University of Calgary is a very strict working environment. I has an open door policy and employees are generally comfortable. Pay is an issue as the budget may not be as flexible to accommodate the level of standards that the employee is demanded to perform.
Pros
Environment, Culture
Cons
Wage
Research and professional manager
CHORUS Research Project Business Manager and RA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2017
U of C was not kind to me at all after I fell on their uncleared stairs which has caused me great pain with concern about my health.
Research staff is not treated well.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
safety procedures not being followed
Fun with Summer Camps during training
Coach (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
Very flexible with employees as we were all athletes on the basketball team. Teaching and playing with kids during the day was enjoyable and often did not even feel like a job.
A very good institute of higher learning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2017
It is an excellent place to work. A friendly atmosphere where everybody is respected. Salary and benefits are generous. Lot of opportunities for growth within the organization.
Facilities Programs Management
Manager, Programs - Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2017
University of Calgary Facilities Programs, AUPE and Labor Relations management, Quality Control, Analytics, Documentation, Education and Compliance has become my main focus. My role also covers work with the Foothills Campus (a medical/academic complex). The University is a learning hub with a strong focus on research and academic excellence and I have gained experience and exposure in this environment from both operations and academic nuances.
Declining morale
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2017
U of C used to be a great place to work, but there is growing dissatisfaction within the management community who are expected to do more and more without appropriate compensation. Work-life balance is a thing of the past. Wellness support looks good on paper, but is not translated into the day-to-day environment. The leadership team is not trained or held accountable for mentoring or supporting employees to improve performance and maintain or increase morale. There is pervasive mentality that effectiveness should bubble up from the ranks rather than trickle down from leadership, and this is ineffective.

The most enjoyable part of the job is wonderful colleagues - the majority are willing to do whatever it takes to get the work done; however, the inevitable cost is exhaustion and negative attrition.
Pros
Excellent vacation benefits and competitive health benefits
Cons
Wage freezes of staff outside collective agreements; poor advancement opportunities
Great Work Site
1st year automotive apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
This was a great and engaging place to work, with great people and an ever changing environment. Overall I loved working their with the people and the machines.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Really Enjoy Working Here
Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2017
I love working at the University of Calgary! People are very nice here and very welcoming. I look forward to going to work, it is a great environment.
For students only
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
Easy to do job that is sometimes made unnecessarily hard for employees by management. The pay is not enough to stake anything on so definitely recommend having another source of income. Workplace environment is relaxed.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Fun place to work if you don't mind working hard
Conference and Event Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
The management and other workers are all very nice and easy to work with. This job involves a lot of walking and being on your feet, as well as a lot of lifting (light and heavy). Some days are extremely busy when there are a lot of events to set up, and some days are very slow when there are no events or if you only need to monitor. Overall an enjoyable job.
Pros
Often times you get free food.
Cons
Sometimes shifts can be very long or late (overnight), physically draining (must be in good shape)
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
I would recommend working there. It was a wonderful learning experience. All of the staff were very friendly and encouraging to all of the staff. This was an amazing opportunity for me.
Budget Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2017
I was on contract at U of C. I really enjoyed this workplace, the people were nice, the office environment was casual and everyone was a team player to get the job done. I may look into other opportunities at the University.

Kudos.
Pros
Casual dress code, 7 hour day, Good People
Cons
A long commute for me (55mins)
Great place with friendly coworkers
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2017
At work I would help around the office and get tasks done. I learned how to input data and be efficient and get tasks done in a timely manner. The workplace was friendly and inviting. The hardest part of the job was sitting in a chair all day and it was very repetitive. The most enjoyable part was the staff and being able to listen to music or take breaks when I got tired.
Research
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada4 June 2017
Clean, comfortable work environment. Intensive work. Medical research, including samples from actual patient. Unfortunately there was no opportunity for personal and professional growth on this position.
Supportive of new graduates
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Biological science24 May 2017
The Biological Science Department at the University of Calgary works hard to make sure newly graduated students are given an opportunity to gain further experience before setting off into the working world.
Pros
Supportive faculty and peers
Cons
Administrative paperwork could be slightly more streamlined
Productive and nice environment you make
Transport organiser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
On a typical day of work, I receive customers with different moods and with unpredictable mood swings. It is not easy to determine characters at first view from what I realized because at times I got to speak to someone who was rude and bold to me. It was quite unfortunate but then to compose myself, I behaved gentlemanly.
At the same time, meeting new friends that were co-workers was also quite an incidence; some welcoming and friendly and others vice-versa. I try as much as possible to stay close to those who think I am good to them and I help them as much as I can if I had the opportunity to do so.My happiest moments were with such friendly people because they made work easy in that we were collaborative.
Provided growth and learning opportunities for employees
Co-op Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Was a great place to work as an intern because it provided many learning opportunities that allowed me to develop new skills. The culture is very collective and the offices and faculties try to work together to create a learning network within the organization.
Pros
Learning opportunities, variable work tasks
Cons
Very bureaucratic, sometimes took a long time to get approval for tasks
Great place to support students
Campus Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Great learning environment, but some management staff, professor, dean could be very unprofessional. Some people really need to get into the real world of work.
Pros
Days off, Vacation day
Cons
Pay
Great university to work for
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
I worked in the department of geosciences. Very nice professors, staff and fellow graduate students. Lots of students makes for a really fun atmosphere.