University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons
You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee) –  foothills campusOctober 8, 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Research intensive university.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2015
Teaching quality is good. Research output got scope to improve. One thing UoC can possibly do is encourage more industry collaborations in research.

Been a good experience doing a thesis-based Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Enjoyed my time out there.
A good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dept of GeosciencesAugust 27, 2015
I have worked in the University for past 2 years . Working there as a teaching assistant and taking courses have been a great time for me .
Pros
Good food court
Cons
Difficult Courses
This is a fascinating environment to work
Statistical Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
University of Calgary is an academic environment with people from diverse background. It provided conducive environment for all her employees and students.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
Pros
Earning money while studying
Cons
No advancement
University of Calgary
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
As I worked as a teaching assistant I was not a full time employee. Along with my work I focused on my study. Sometimes it was hard to balance between these two due to exam pressure. Otherwise, it was a great experience to work with different professors, dealing with students and so on.

Want to know more about University of Calgary?

Ask a question
Good place to work. very good people with them
Researcher - Master (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Fun Place to work. challenging work with lots of opportuinities to learn. Good opportunities for research and steping up to new opportunities. Flexible schedule is a plus
Pros
very good learning opportunities
Great people, great job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
I loved working as a teaching assistant because not only did I get to interact with students but I also worked alongside some great professors who are knowledgeable in their area. I gained a lot of leadership skills from running tutorial sessions for students and balancing the workload of being both a student and a teaching assistant.
Pros
Great coworkers, flexible
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Pros
Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons
Tight deadlines
easy going school
Phd candidate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2015
friendly atmosphere, salary is low but you get alot of freedom and flexibilities, nice supervisors and very equiped laboratories
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 29, 2015
Emphasis is placed on hiring part time professors. More so, collegiality needs to be improved among workers. Salary for part time staff is average. Sessional instructors have little to no benefits.
Good interim job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2015
Only worked for them a year. Seemed like a good place, but I didn't plan to stay in the position from the start. It was a filler while looking for better work. Very good to work with, but the AUPE union was of no help when looking at better internal positions. The U of C wasn't interested in retaining me at a better job.
Superb experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A sense of resourcefulness served me well in this role! I had the privilege of supporting a dynamic, cohesive team. It was the most stunning example of professionalism that I've encountered in a workplace.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 17, 2015
My job as a researcher at the UofC do not involve interacting with others often.
The job is easy in general as long as you are productive, you manage your own schedule which gives flexibility to parents with kids. The only problem is, it is not a permanent job.
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons
unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
Educational and enjoyable
Sponsorship Commissioner (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2015
UofC is a great place to get involved in extracurricular activities and gain valuable experiences.

4.2