University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Worst Place I have ever worked
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB (Doha)June 21, 2016
This was the worst, the absolute worst place I have ever worked. The HR department leadership calls faculty "dumb". People are bullies and the atmosphere is toxic. I have nothing good to say about this place. I wish I had never gone to work there.
Pros
salary is good
Cons
The most horrible people I have ever encountered
good environment
Reseach and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 7, 2016
as a teaching assistant, I learned a lot about team work. It was wonderful to see how experimental physics could be taught with fun and ease !
I had great co-workers. I enjoyed my interaction with students, their love and appreciation was the key to my advancement.
Productive and excellent learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2016
The research assistant job required for the individual to work on their own then report results back to the supervisor with interpretation of the collected data. The results were then discussed in group meetings and procedures were adjusted according to the suggestions provided for improvements.
Productive and fun
Summer On Call Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
A typical day involved performing rounds, responding to inquiries posed by residents and ensuring that the conditions of the Resident Agreement is upheld. Work was very interactive. The benefits package was good.
Fun stable teaching position
University Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
I love teaching with the UofC , there is lots of great oppurtunities and I got to teach and travel abroad .Also learnt how to properly create and grade report cards for students
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities
Research Associate (E.I.T) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities. Great place to learn, to teach and to network.
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.

There is support from the higher offices for support staff to do their jobs.
Great colleagues to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
Working in a research lab with several other graduate students was a great experience. It gave me the ability to work in a collaborative and studious environment. I was treated professionally and respectfully and learned a lot about research methods and processes, micro-electronics and biotechnology.
Pros
No set hours
Cons
More research and less hands-on
Fun working experience with flexible working hours
Nursing Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
Highly recommended for students who want to learn more in depth about certain nursing topics. You get to learn more about the research process.
Pros
flexible hours
Great University
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2016
Considerable for students and staffs. Lots of talented guys. Life is also great. Very nice university for international students.
Poor Management
Student Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work.
Poor structured of leadership.3 bosses in 12 months-4 office locations in 16 months.
I was an independent office and sole practitioner, so high volume, high stress...LOW support from upper management. Working with students was the HIGHLIGHT...resolving disputes and seeing them make a way forward. Politics with Student Union made job untenable.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poorly structured job, Bad Manager, Conflict between SU and Admin.
fun and secured work place
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Nice environment, Nice supervisor, Got the opportunity to explore and apply my own ideas. Published three technical papers in the premier jourals
A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons
You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee) –  foothills campusOctober 8, 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Research intensive university.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2015
Teaching quality is good. Research output got scope to improve. One thing UoC can possibly do is encourage more industry collaborations in research.

Been a good experience doing a thesis-based Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Enjoyed my time out there.
A good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dept of GeosciencesAugust 27, 2015
I have worked in the University for past 2 years . Working there as a teaching assistant and taking courses have been a great time for me .
Pros
Good food court
Cons
Difficult Courses
This is a fascinating environment to work
Statistical Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2015
University of Calgary is an academic environment with people from diverse background. It provided conducive environment for all her employees and students.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.

4.2