University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Earning money while studying
Cons: No advancement
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
University of Calgary
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
As I worked as a teaching assistant I was not a full time employee. Along with my work I focused on my study. Sometimes it was hard to balance between these two due to exam pressure. Otherwise, it was a great experience to work with different professors, dealing with students and so on.
Good place to work. very good people with them
Researcher - Master (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Pros: very good learning opportunities
Cons: long hours
Fun Place to work. challenging work with lots of opportuinities to learn. Good opportunities for research and steping up to new opportunities. Flexible schedule is a plus
Great people, great job
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, flexible
Cons: None
I loved working as a teaching assistant because not only did I get to interact with students but I also worked alongside some great professors who are knowledgeable in their area. I gained a lot of leadership skills from running tutorial sessions for students and balancing the workload of being both a student and a teaching assistant.
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons: Tight deadlines
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 16, 2015
Working for this location was often times hectic with management and staff not knowing what each other was doing. Dealing with the customers was always a positive experience though
easy going school
Phd candidate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2015
friendly atmosphere, salary is low but you get alot of freedom and flexibilities, nice supervisors and very equiped laboratories
Instructor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 29, 2015
Emphasis is placed on hiring part time professors. More so, collegiality needs to be improved among workers. Salary for part time staff is average. Sessional instructors have little to no benefits.
Good interim job
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2015
Only worked for them a year. Seemed like a good place, but I didn't plan to stay in the position from the start. It was a filler while looking for better work. Very good to work with, but the AUPE union was of no help when looking at better internal positions. The U of C wasn't interested in retaining me at a better job.
Superb experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 1, 2015
A sense of resourcefulness served me well in this role! I had the privilege of supporting a dynamic, cohesive team. It was the most stunning example of professionalism that I've encountered in a workplace.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 17, 2015
My job as a researcher at the UofC do not involve interacting with others often.
The job is easy in general as long as you are productive, you manage your own schedule which gives flexibility to parents with kids. The only problem is, it is not a permanent job.
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons: unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Educational and enjoyable
Sponsorship Commissioner (volunteer) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2015
UofC is a great place to get involved in extracurricular activities and gain valuable experiences.
awesome work environment
Server/Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: the customer satisfaction and their smiles
Cons: some time, ong hours
A typical day is:
set up the station
make a good looking display
excellent customer service
answer customer questions about meal's preparation and warning about allergies
information about nutrition facts
good coordination with the people in the kitchen
I am a reserch assitant as well as a Master student
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 11, 2014
My responsibilities include work on CMOS image sensor chip desgin in Cadence, PCB design in Altium, matlab programming in MPLab, NI DAQ device programming in C and image analyzing and processing in Matlab.
Great working environment
Special Events Facilitator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2014
Pros: environment
Cons: none to speak of.
Productive work environment
Teaching Assistant, Finance (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2014
Sessional teaching assistant so the hours are based are set once a week for the semester.
researcher and biologist
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2014
It is excellent place and friendly environment with lots of benefits.
Great research opportunities
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 17, 2014
At the Schulich school of engineering, graduate students have the opportunity to closely collaborate with professionals from the related industry. Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering is well-known for its world renowned scholars and professors and close collaboration with oil industry.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Calgary

The University of Calgary (sometimes abbreviated "The U of C") is a public university in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The – Read more

University of Calgary Photos

Honouring chancellor Jim Dinning with a street clock at U of C.
University of Calgary members of Senate 2014-2015