University of Calgary Employee Reviews

For students only
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
Easy to do job that is sometimes made unnecessarily hard for employees by management. The pay is not enough to stake anything on so definitely recommend having another source of income. Workplace environment is relaxed.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Fun place to work if you don't mind working hard
Conference and Event Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
The management and other workers are all very nice and easy to work with. This job involves a lot of walking and being on your feet, as well as a lot of lifting (light and heavy). Some days are extremely busy when there are a lot of events to set up, and some days are very slow when there are no events or if you only need to monitor. Overall an enjoyable job.
Pros
Often times you get free food.
Cons
Sometimes shifts can be very long or late (overnight), physically draining (must be in good shape)
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
I would recommend working there. It was a wonderful learning experience. All of the staff were very friendly and encouraging to all of the staff. This was an amazing opportunity for me.
Budget Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2017
I was on contract at U of C. I really enjoyed this workplace, the people were nice, the office environment was casual and everyone was a team player to get the job done. I may look into other opportunities at the University.

Kudos.
Pros
Casual dress code, 7 hour day, Good People
Cons
A long commute for me (55mins)
Great place with friendly coworkers
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2017
At work I would help around the office and get tasks done. I learned how to input data and be efficient and get tasks done in a timely manner. The workplace was friendly and inviting. The hardest part of the job was sitting in a chair all day and it was very repetitive. The most enjoyable part was the staff and being able to listen to music or take breaks when I got tired.
Research
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada4 June 2017
Clean, comfortable work environment. Intensive work. Medical research, including samples from actual patient. Unfortunately there was no opportunity for personal and professional growth on this position.
Supportive of new graduates
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Biological science24 May 2017
The Biological Science Department at the University of Calgary works hard to make sure newly graduated students are given an opportunity to gain further experience before setting off into the working world.
Pros
Supportive faculty and peers
Cons
Administrative paperwork could be slightly more streamlined
Productive and nice environment you make
Transport organiser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
On a typical day of work, I receive customers with different moods and with unpredictable mood swings. It is not easy to determine characters at first view from what I realized because at times I got to speak to someone who was rude and bold to me. It was quite unfortunate but then to compose myself, I behaved gentlemanly.
At the same time, meeting new friends that were co-workers was also quite an incidence; some welcoming and friendly and others vice-versa. I try as much as possible to stay close to those who think I am good to them and I help them as much as I can if I had the opportunity to do so.My happiest moments were with such friendly people because they made work easy in that we were collaborative.
Provided growth and learning opportunities for employees
Co-op Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Was a great place to work as an intern because it provided many learning opportunities that allowed me to develop new skills. The culture is very collective and the offices and faculties try to work together to create a learning network within the organization.
Pros
Learning opportunities, variable work tasks
Cons
Very bureaucratic, sometimes took a long time to get approval for tasks
Great place to support students
Campus Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Great learning environment, but some management staff, professor, dean could be very unprofessional. Some people really need to get into the real world of work.
Pros
Days off, Vacation day
Cons
Pay

Want to know more about University of Calgary?

Ask a question
Great university to work for
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
I worked in the department of geosciences. Very nice professors, staff and fellow graduate students. Lots of students makes for a really fun atmosphere.
Nice work environment, good people to work with
Oil and Gas Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
University of Calgary is a good work place. Good people to work with Work balance with life . Time to and from work is good. Good benefits for workers. Many programs available to enjoy around campus in work day time and evening time
Pros
Goos work place, goos people to work with, good benefits
Cons
Hard to get a job here. Requires qork knowledge and experience
UofC
Administrative Float General Duties (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2017
A typical day at work requires constant multi tasking. Between speaking with patients, arranging physician schedules and prepping for clinics there is always a project to be working on.

The workplace culture is great, as I have an excellent team.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I play a roll in maintaining patient care, something I take pride in.
UofC
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2017
The University of Calgary is a great place to work if you have a family and are content with a high level of job security. It is less so if you are a person who wishes to grow in your role as a person and an employee, and is not for anyone who is of a competitive nature.
research assisant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NU30 March 2017
working in the field, using ice auger, ski doo, CTD casting, niskins bottles,

Working in extreme conditions of the Arctic, the hardest part of the job is not getting frost bite
Pros
expereince
Cons
Not relevant to my application as a nanny.
Medical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
I was put on disability for depression in 1991 from the U of C.
I enjoyed work there, very stimulating and good environment.
Learning Promoted
Interim Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
Perhaps because it is a post-secondary academic institution, there is a strong focus on individual learning to enhance one's skills---if only there were enough hours in a day to permit it. The University places an emphasis on continuous learning which is commendable. I took advantage of as many in-house courses as I could manage given my heavy workload.

The workplace culture is collegial and not a particularly competitive environment. Most work teams assist each other when there are deadlines to meet or extraordinarily onerous assignments.
Pros
Diversity of employees and wonderful park-like environment on campus
Cons
Focus seems to be on recruiting young employees & not more mature workers
Competitive Place
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2017
Receives not enough funding.
The colleagues are well-skilled and technical exchange of information will be there.
As with any other company, expect inter-faculty competition that may make or sink your day at work.
excellent
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2017
worked very hard and always friendly to customer ,
on time, follow company policy , etc..
good to volunteer at bike root , I enjoyed very much
Great Workplace
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
It was fun, and the interaction with student was great. I learnt a lot from this experience.I would love to do this again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2