University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor Management
Student Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work.
Poor structured of leadership.3 bosses in 12 months-4 office locations in 16 months.
I was an independent office and sole practitioner, so high volume, high stress...LOW support from upper management. Working with students was the HIGHLIGHT...resolving disputes and seeing them make a way forward. Politics with Student Union made job untenable.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poorly structured job, Bad Manager, Conflict between SU and Admin.
lots of team work and positive people, nice place to work
Building operator (Current Employee) –  foothills campusOctober 8, 2015
It is a GREAT place to work, I'm supported by management and coworkers alike, management encourages you to take upgrading and personal interest courses, they send their staff on safety courses frequently. There are plenty of "lunch and learns" you can partake in. U of C is always updating the staff on the university's current events. Work life balance is great.
Fun working experience with flexible working hours
Nursing Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
Highly recommended for students who want to learn more in depth about certain nursing topics. You get to learn more about the research process.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Great colleagues to work with
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
Working in a research lab with several other graduate students was a great experience. It gave me the ability to work in a collaborative and studious environment. I was treated professionally and respectfully and learned a lot about research methods and processes, micro-electronics and biotechnology.
Pros
No set hours
Cons
More research and less hands-on
Productive and excellent learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2016
The research assistant job required for the individual to work on their own then report results back to the supervisor with interpretation of the collected data. The results were then discussed in group meetings and procedures were adjusted according to the suggestions provided for improvements.
Productive and fun
Summer On Call Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
A typical day involved performing rounds, responding to inquiries posed by residents and ensuring that the conditions of the Resident Agreement is upheld. Work was very interactive. The benefits package was good.
Fun stable teaching position
University Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
I love teaching with the UofC , there is lots of great oppurtunities and I got to teach and travel abroad .Also learnt how to properly create and grade report cards for students
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 12, 2016
Their HR department and executive suite do not practice what they preach.

There is support from the higher offices for support staff to do their jobs.
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities
Research Associate (E.I.T) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
A school that offers challenging course work and research opportunities. Great place to learn, to teach and to network.
A very supportive work environment with access to a lot of resources
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The work is very productive with access to a lot of resources to get the job done. Most of the work happens in teams so you learn a lot about team dynamics.
fun and secured work place
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Nice environment, Nice supervisor, Got the opportunity to explore and apply my own ideas. Published three technical papers in the premier jourals
Not for the driven
Manager, Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2015
Working at the University of Calgary as a member of the staff is a real mixed bag. The job security, salary and benefits are all good to great. But it is an environment that tolerates poor performance and fails to reward good performance. As a result, there is no incentive to do well at your job. So if you like to perform and be rewarded for it, this may not be the place for you. If you want to slide into retirement, it may be.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits, low stress
Cons
unrewarding work, poor wage growth, unnecessarily hierarchical
Great University
General Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2016
Considerable for students and staffs. Lots of talented guys. Life is also great. Very nice university for international students.
A great place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
I worked at the University as a student. It was a great opportunity and a great environment. I would love to come back now that I have graduated. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Location is accessible by transit and the campus is beautiful
Cons
You have to enjoy working in a union environment. I thought it was great.
Temporary position
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
This was just a temporary position which helped me earn some money while studying for the Masters program at University of Calgary. There was no proper schedule for work except for the weekly tutorials which I had to conduct in order to help the students with their assignments and exams.
Pros
Earning money while studying
Cons
No advancement
Good place to work. very good people with them
Researcher - Master (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Fun Place to work. challenging work with lots of opportuinities to learn. Good opportunities for research and steping up to new opportunities. Flexible schedule is a plus
Pros
very good learning opportunities
Enjoyable research experience
Undergraduate Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
It was fun, exciting and filled with challenges! The work was great and the results exciting. I am happy to have worked there as a research intern. Moreover the people were quite nice and the environment was very positive.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Outdoor Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
A typical day at work involves leading outdoor activities like slackening, rafting, biking and many other things for kids camps. I have learned that having fun at your job is the most important thing, because if you're having fun then the kids are having fun as well. I get to work with awesome coworkers who are just as enthusiastic about the outdoors as I am. The hardest part of the job is being outside in the hot sun all day, but it is very minor compared to all the fun activities I get to teach to children outside.
Every day is something different and I love diversity in the workplace!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2014
Working with the University of Calgary has privileged me to meet new people from various cultures.

One of my strongest attributes is being a "people person". I have been able to work at the Information/Security Desk covering in the absence of the admin. Meeting and greeting people is and it has been noticed by my co-workers.

Because of the job title I am in it allows me to float to different offices covering for the administrative staff while they are away. Helping with filing back log, faxing, making new files or helping with the doctors.
Pros
meeting new people, taking courses for free, excellent benefits with flexible spending account.
Cons
not always shown appreciation for my effort from team lead(s).
Fantastic Opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
I worked collaboratively on a team completing a research project which will have an impact on the way services are implemented in an area of social work which is near and dear to me. We had a large team consisting of approximately twenty individuals between two universities and the plethora of information shared was invaluable. Each voice was injected into not only conversation, but also into the research. This is by far one of the richest experiences I have had while doing research and being a part of this team was a growing, learning opportunity.
Pros
Shared knowledge, Interesting and Respectful
Cons
Tight deadlines

4.2