University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Student
Inter-professional Student Doula Program (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2017
This makes no sense to do this review but it is forcing me to come up with 150 characters. I was a student at UBC in the school of nursing. Not much else to say.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant-Physics (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 February 2017
Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight.

Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable
Pros
Very rigid in terms of scheduling
Cons
Good Capstone project to test all skills learnt.
Group Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2017
This is the fourth year capstone project at UBC. It is a good opportunity to apply all of the skills learn in all of my previous courses, as well as a chance to apply business principles.
Great place to work.
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada31 January 2017
I have enjoyed working at UBC since 2002. The university is one of the foremost research universities in the world and is working to ensure that staff are able to contribute to the strategic vision.
Challenging and interesting work environment that evolved with the explosive spread of personal computing into every workplace.
MANAGING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2017
A review is required? a minimum of twenty words is required
twelve
nineteen
twenty
No comments
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2017
It was a wonderful work experience at UBC. I learned a great deal of leadership, communication skills, problem solving skills, time management, organizational skills, and ethical principles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working collaboratively within a team. The hardest part was commuting to the work place.
Exchange
Exchange Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
I become familiar with Canadian culture and the exchange experience helps me to maker the friends in Canada.Most importantly, I improved my adaptive capability to the new surrounding and enhanced my oral English through doing group projects with foreign students.
Awesome employer
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2017
Great benefits. defined benefits pension plan, paid sick days. excellent medical and dental. competitive pay rates. beautiful campus and job site. commuting to work is difficult and time consuming.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
long commutes
its a short cours
courses (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 January 2017
It was an over weekend course, related to my job. The corse organizer is very well professional and they make our experience is very pleasant
Pros
very good lectures and presentation
Cons
its short period
Very good place to work and very friendly
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2017
It is a place where you can learn about a wide range of things in the project baseline.
I worked as an Electrical Engineer developing an electrical feasibility study for a Gold mining plant located in Colombia, South America.
Part of my job was to design electrical diagram and distribution to the site.
My boss was supporting me with all the information that I needed to be developing my project.
The hardest part of the job was collecting information because of the lackness of communication between our office in Vancouver and the engineers on the site (Colombia).
The part that I liked the most was the challenge in working in the Mining field and learning new technologies.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
The period was to short bacause it was a co-op job
Patrol
Campus Security (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
A typical day may start out with general customer service requests such as requests to grant access or to give directions but can change quickly into a variety of calls and requests. I have opportunities to attend calls such as first aid, suspicious persons, elevator entrapments, theft reports, and more.
I have learned so much from this job such as how to interact with all people from all walks of life and how to adapt to unexpected situations and developments.
My colleagues can be the funniest people to be around or the most annoying depending on the given day. We all take care of our own and back each other up when we need assistance on a call. We all depend on each other to help the hours go by.
The best and hardest part of the job is working with the public. My job does not allow me to always give people access when they want it or when it's convenient; in fact, I say, 'no' most of the time. This is not the most popular answer.
On the other hand, the job can be very rewarding when security can provide accesses and other services that can mean the difference in a passing grade, participating in an active police investigation, and helping someone's family member; this is always very rewarding.
Pros
variety
Cons
shift work
Productive, Educational and Fast Paced Work setting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
Working at UBC is a great environment for the curious and hard working:
The education culture fosters minds curious to learn more and the academic schedule ensures a timeline for completion of projects:
Pros
Good Salary Benefits and Education oppurtunities
Cons
Long Hours, Deadlines
Excellent
Graduate Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2017
Typical day start with work plan, ends with satisfaction and hope for the next day.

Opportunity to exercise the technical know-how.

Great co-workers and management.
Excellent
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Excellent place to work. Supportive environment. Allows one to develop their abilities. Long hours and poor pay though.
Administrative Assistant
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
The University has a great community and support system. Many opportunities to move around between departments. My first experience working directly with the IT department, most enjoyable.
Patient Driven and Educational Work Experience
Research Coordinator, Neurology (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 December 2016
Working at UBCH provided me with the opportunity to challenge myself daily, interact with patients ranging from full mobility and cognitive ability to extremely limited mobility and hindered cognitive ability. The thing that I enjoyed most was working and interacting with my patients, getting to know them on a personal level and also help them within the Clinical Trials they were involved in.

My co-workers were wonderful and management was good.
Working was a fun experience
UBC House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2016
We would get together in our teams to complete various tasks given to us throughout the day.This was accompanied by a fun and learning environment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Long drive
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2016
- Upfront about expectations
- fun place to work
- very flexible management (open to feedback)
- rapid implementation of feedback
- cares about your wellbeing first.
Pros
Free room, board, resources
Cons
Long hours, live in commitment for 3 weeks.
Great place with lots of supportive staff
Research Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2016
Lots of friendly and supportive people. Great location in the middle of UBC. Top notch equipment for research. Great if you can get in.
Average Public Service
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 November 2016
Great if you don't want to take your job home with you. Poor if you want flexibility. Good benefits, great office. Technologically and managerially archaic.