University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 23, 2014
Gained valuable R&D and Process Engineering experience as a graduate research engineer in two separate research labs. Developed my expertise in process design & optimization techniques; while working on softwares like Hysys, Aspen Plus, Matlab, and Minitab. Hands-on experience on a variety of unit-operation instruments along with training in chemical lab safety, risk assessment, WHMIS, HAZOP analysis and log book maintenance
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Pros: a lot of learning and productivity
Cons: not application
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Pros: getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons: salary and job security
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: could be good for career
Cons: pricey, long commutes
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Student Position at UBC
Senior Collegia Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 25, 2013
Pros: get some experience and relax from studying
Cons: student position
I had the chance to work while I was taking my Master.
This was an interesting way to get some teaching and administrative experiences in Canada.
I think by taking this job, I was able to relax from the pressure of my studies and I could contribute to the university community as well, which I felt rewarding.
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
A highly technical working environment
RESEARCH ENGINEER (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
Constant problem solving, technical calculations and evaluations is required in the job. A small group of engineering expertise/technician and professionals work together to get each project done, and produce reports/suggestions and feasibility report.
Good positive place to work in
Data Coordinator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2015
I loved working in this environment. Everyone has a personal link to the success of the group. It is rewarding and a feel good.
Excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2015
I have excellent experiences working for UBC. It is a job in which you can be independent and depending who your supervisor is can be very flexible.
A good place to begin
Jumpstart International Orientation Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Great opportunities to gain employment, but hard to stay in the same position for multiple years as a student. They like to offer the opportunities to everyone, so once you have completed your year, it is time for a new face.
Productive and helpful Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: free food sometimes
Cons: long working hours
Co-workers are helpful, social, and careful. However, I am new here, so less experiences about this university. So far, the experience is good. The working environment is very pleasant. My supervisor is very nice person and seems to me very understandable and helpful.
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2014
Pros: good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons: not much career development if you are not tenure, salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Good group of people, but difficult to change an educational institution
Curriculum Redevelopment (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 28, 2012
Pros: great professors and nice environment
Cons: slow to adopt change
As a consultant hired to modernize the curriculum, I found it to be a challenging environment to promote change, but that would be true of any higher ed institution. People are great.
Productive intense fun workplace.
Supervisor Expense Desk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 2, 2012
I worked for 20 years at the University and loved it. I advanced rapidly, and it was a wonderful working environment. I was the problem solver, so it was very difficut to track things down from years back.
Co-workers were like family, as there was very little turnover.