University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
Good School
Undergraduate Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
Pretty good school. As with most large universities, there can be a sense of disconnect from the campus community. Profs can be hard to understand, but they're smart, even if they don't mean well.
It was fun and engaging
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 23, 2015
I was responsible for leading the lab sessions, helping students with questions and marking lab quizzes.

It was fun because I made a lot of friends with my students and coworkers.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 23, 2014
Gained valuable R&D and Process Engineering experience as a graduate research engineer in two separate research labs. Developed my expertise in process design & optimization techniques; while working on softwares like Hysys, Aspen Plus, Matlab, and Minitab. Hands-on experience on a variety of unit-operation instruments along with training in chemical lab safety, risk assessment, WHMIS, HAZOP analysis and log book maintenance
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
Pros
a lot of learning and productivity
Cons
not application
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
The best University...
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2016
UBC is a great place to work located on the West side of Vancouver near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the wellbeing of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
There is a great management team who is knowledgeable about the tasks that lay ahead to provide leadership with the best policies for each department to safely move forward to a sustainable future. They take to lead in sustainability and research in various departments. It has been a pleasure to work as a team member with all the departments, managers, supervisors over the course of my career.
My co-workers were great, professional, successful and had the expertise to carry out many medium and large construction projects that were delivered on time and on budget over the course of my career. The University has truly undertaken a real change, a complete renewal for the existing infrastructure including existing and new buildings that provide the best technology, labs, and research equipment. The buildings are far advanced and up to date with the latest technology, labs, and research equipment to provide the necessary training and learning for all Students.
  more...
The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the many changes over the course of this complete renewal over the last decade with an ever increasing workload that goes along with it, but with the professional Staff, Managers and great co-workers we all enjoyed the challenges that lay ahead and were able to see firsthand what all our hard work produces for this great University and its community.
The most enjoyable part was the free education and many benefits that included training, health and wellness sessions, barbeques, business plan meetings, learning lunches, health and safety seminars that were freely offered to us and we all were able to attend and enjoy. Furthermore, to be given the opportunity to advance in our careers. It was truly an enjoyable learning and work experience at one of the best Universities I have seen and known...
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Pros
getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons
salary and job security
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Student Position at UBC
Senior Collegia Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 25, 2013
I had the chance to work while I was taking my Master.
This was an interesting way to get some teaching and administrative experiences in Canada.
I think by taking this job, I was able to relax from the pressure of my studies and I could contribute to the university community as well, which I felt rewarding.
Pros
get some experience and relax from studying
Cons
student position
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Pros
could be good for career
Cons
pricey, long commutes
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 11, 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Productive and helpful Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 9, 2013
Co-workers are helpful, social, and careful. However, I am new here, so less experiences about this university. So far, the experience is good. The working environment is very pleasant. My supervisor is very nice person and seems to me very understandable and helpful.
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
long working hours
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.
Good group of people, but difficult to change an educational institution
Curriculum Redevelopment (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 28, 2012
As a consultant hired to modernize the curriculum, I found it to be a challenging environment to promote change, but that would be true of any higher ed institution. People are great.
Pros
great professors and nice environment
Cons
slow to adopt change
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2014
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Pros
good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons
not much career development if you are not tenure, salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
A highly technical working environment
RESEARCH ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
Constant problem solving, technical calculations and evaluations is required in the job. A small group of engineering expertise/technician and professionals work together to get each project done, and produce reports/suggestions and feasibility report.
A fair environment for graduate students as teaching assistants
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day varies depending on the classes involved in, but all of the professors in my experience have been fair and respectful of their teaching assistants.

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location