University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
production
Maintenance supervisor/custodian (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 10, 2013
busy when day go fast
learn and provide service
great to work with all managers
great to work together make life easy
not getting all done
when all job are done in day
hard work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2013
Pros: pay is good, if really work the mentioned hours
Cons: tight schedule, multiple tasks, pressure to work more than in the contract
know that for some students there is less work then for others, while letting the same pay
Above average
Graduate Study & Research (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2013
Great co-workers
Reasonable management
Crowd
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
Married and moved
Cyclotron Operator (Former Employee), vancouver, BCJune 27, 2013
Looking for new challenges! Although quite satisfied, I wanted to use all my accumulated knowledge and devote myself to one company!
Productive and helpful Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: free food sometimes
Cons: long working hours
Co-workers are helpful, social, and careful. However, I am new here, so less experiences about this university. So far, the experience is good. The working environment is very pleasant. My supervisor is very nice person and seems to me very understandable and helpful.
Research on energy economics and policy of decentralized energy generation
Visiting Research Fellow (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: this is of great interest to me.
I work with colleagues on the adoption and policy mechanisms of solar photovoltaic technology for lighting in India.
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Pros: getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons: salary and job security
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Student Position at UBC
Senior Collegia Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 25, 2013
Pros: get some experience and relax from studying
Cons: student position
I had the chance to work while I was taking my Master.
This was an interesting way to get some teaching and administrative experiences in Canada.
I think by taking this job, I was able to relax from the pressure of my studies and I could contribute to the university community as well, which I felt rewarding.
38 years working there
Senior Forest Technician (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my job
Cons: wages could have been better
It was not the same job every day and you were out doors and doing it with out being pressured
Overall, I like it
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 20, 2013
I learned a lot from co-workers, and the environment is perfect, both safe and organized.
Intellectually challenging academic environment.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 12, 2012
UBC is a large, diverse university that provides an intellectually challenging academic environment.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
A place to put the world in perspective
Page (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 3, 2012
Students, teachers are extremly helpful, lots to do on and off campus.
High quality training.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee), Department of Physics and AstronomyJune 20, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: academic salaries
I did my phd here and i was employed as a research and teaching assistant as part of my degree.
UBC-A place of mind
Research Student (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 5, 2012
Met so many people from different backgrounds, learned new technologies, methods and advanced my technical skills along with communication and adaptive skills. Participated in different sports, cultural and technical committee's and functions.
Productive intense fun workplace.
Supervisor Expense Desk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 2, 2012
I worked for 20 years at the University and loved it. I advanced rapidly, and it was a wonderful working environment. I was the problem solver, so it was very difficut to track things down from years back.
Co-workers were like family, as there was very little turnover.
One of the top university in the world
Researcher (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaApril 24, 2012
Faculty members have excellent research skills and knowledge.
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2012
Pros: high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons: lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.

July 16, 2013

This position is very demanding. The management style is chaotic. You are expected to work 12 hours a day without overtime compensation, organize and attend club events in the evenings or weekends. Not a fun place to work. Burn out in about 6 months.

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more