University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
38 years working there
Senior Forest Technician (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my job
Cons: wages could have been better
It was not the same job every day and you were out doors and doing it with out being pressured
Overall, I like it
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 20, 2013
I learned a lot from co-workers, and the environment is perfect, both safe and organized.
Intellectually challenging academic environment.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 12, 2012
UBC is a large, diverse university that provides an intellectually challenging academic environment.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work – more... directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding. – less
very good
Researcher (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2012
more options offered by UBC for individual career development.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional – more... development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life. – less
laid back entry level position
PAYROLL & STAFF RECORDS CLERK (Current Employee), vancouver bcJuly 3, 2012
Pros: 1.5 hour breaks and theres a gym i use at lunch
Cons: repetitive
repetitive, co-workers are very quiet, management is great, most enjoyable part is being able to go workout on my lunch hour, people are mainly nice, days usually go by kind of fast and i have learned lots about our collective agreement.
A place to put the world in perspective
Page (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 3, 2012
Students, teachers are extremly helpful, lots to do on and off campus.
High quality training.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee), Department of Physics and AstronomyJune 20, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: academic salaries
I did my phd here and i was employed as a research and teaching assistant as part of my degree.
UBC-A place of mind
Research Student (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 5, 2012
Met so many people from different backgrounds, learned new technologies, methods and advanced my technical skills along with communication and adaptive skills. Participated in different sports, cultural and technical committee's and functions.
Productive intense fun workplace.
Supervisor Expense Desk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 2, 2012
I worked for 20 years at the University and loved it. I advanced rapidly, and it was a wonderful working environment. I was the problem solver, so it was very difficut to track things down from years back.
Co-workers were like family, as there was very little turnover.
One of the top university in the world
Researcher (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaApril 24, 2012
Faculty members have excellent research skills and knowledge.
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2012
Pros: high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons: lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.

July 16, 2013

This position is very demanding. The management style is chaotic. You are expected to work 12 hours a day without overtime compensation, organize and attend club events in the evenings or weekends. Not a fun place to work. Burn out in about 6 months.

Good group of people, but difficult to change an educational institution
Curriculum Redevelopment (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 28, 2012
Pros: great professors and nice environment
Cons: slow to adopt change
As a consultant hired to modernize the curriculum, I found it to be a challenging environment to promote change, but that would be true of any higher ed institution. People are great.
Inspiration environment
Carpenter (Former Employee), Golconda, ILJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free residential living, and recreation
Cons: work from 8:00am-4:00pm mon-fri
A brotherhood of hard workers striving to succeed beyond limits.
worst place to work
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee), orlando,flMarch 25, 2013
unsafe, on all aspects;; the management does not care about staff safety
productive and fun but very much hard work, great if you don`t mind giving a days work for a days pay
Carpenter (Current Employee), Westchester, NYFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: benefits are good and so is the salary
Cons: government is ruining all of it
go in early work your 8 hrs and know that your money for that day was earned.
Great pay and benefits
Commercial Builder (Former Employee), Oregon, Nevada, and CaliforniaOctober 8, 2012
Pros: the money and benefits
Cons: i don't have any cons
It is physically demanding work but the pay is the same for a woman as it is for a man, so I have no complaints and I was able to earn a pension.
Beautiful environment and pleasant co-workers
Health, Safety, Envrironment Coordinator (Former Employee), Pointe Grey Campus-Vancouver BCFebruary 29, 2012
It was a great experience to work at Building Operations. The Management and the workers are pleasant and respectful. Management support to our health and safety initiatives were important part of the operations.
Environnement de travail agréable et multiculturel
Stage ingénieur chimiste (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 14, 2014
Mission : A l’aide d’une lampe UV de manière à dégrader des micropolluants dans différentes matrices d’eaux. Des analyses de COT, d’HPLC ont été réalisées dans le but de suivre la concentration des polluants en fonction du temps.

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more