University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Good School
Undergraduate Project Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
Pretty good school. As with most large universities, there can be a sense of disconnect from the campus community. Profs can be hard to understand, but they're smart, even if they don't mean well.
It was fun and engaging
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 23, 2015
I was responsible for leading the lab sessions, helping students with questions and marking lab quizzes.

It was fun because I made a lot of friends with my students and coworkers.
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2012
Pros: high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons: lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.

July 16, 2013

This position is very demanding. The management style is chaotic. You are expected to work 12 hours a day without overtime compensation, organize and attend club events in the evenings or weekends. Not a fun place to work. Burn out in about 6 months.

Fun but fast paced job that requires leadership and customer service.
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free meal, great pay, convenient location
Cons: non-flexible scheduling
A typical day at work consist of customer service, money handling, and serving food. Working for UBC for two year has no doubt taught me how to become a leader, how to work in the absence of supervision, how to communicate with customers, and handling money accurately. The management there needs some improvement when it comes to communication. My co-workers are amazing, they're one of the reasons that keep me motivated because we all have created a very close relationship and we are willing to help each other out during rush hours. The hardest part of my job is taking orders from customers who aren't paying attention when you repeat the order to them, and those who are very indecisive when it comes to ordering. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with people. I really enjoy how my job allows me so much flexibility, if i need a break from taking orders, I can help with expo or help serve food instead.
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Pros: a lot of learning and productivity
Cons: not application
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
Work
Visiting Artist Coordinator (Current Employee), KelownaApril 14, 2015
• Creative and Critical Studies department, under department head Dr. Ashok Mathur
• Excellent knowledge of: Microsoft office, Internet to conduct research, emails and other basic office and administrative activities
• Liaise with local artists and guest speakers
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
very good working enironment
Jump start orientation Leader (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 9, 2015
awesome team,good training and working experience.I enjoyded working with th very enthusiastic and energetic orientation team.
good compesation
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.
Good positive place to work in
Data Coordinator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2015
I loved working in this environment. Everyone has a personal link to the success of the group. It is rewarding and a feel good.
A fair environment for graduate students as teaching assistants
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day varies depending on the classes involved in, but all of the professors in my experience have been fair and respectful of their teaching assistants.
Excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2015
I have excellent experiences working for UBC. It is a job in which you can be independent and depending who your supervisor is can be very flexible.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
A good place to begin
Jumpstart International Orientation Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Great opportunities to gain employment, but hard to stay in the same position for multiple years as a student. They like to offer the opportunities to everyone, so once you have completed your year, it is time for a new face.
Above average
Graduate Study & Research (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2013
Great co-workers
Reasonable management
Crowd
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 23, 2014
Gained valuable R&D and Process Engineering experience as a graduate research engineer in two separate research labs. Developed my expertise in process design & optimization techniques; while working on softwares like Hysys, Aspen Plus, Matlab, and Minitab. Hands-on experience on a variety of unit-operation instruments along with training in chemical lab safety, risk assessment, WHMIS, HAZOP analysis and log book maintenance
productive and warm environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), VancouverDecember 11, 2014
I love it when I see smiles on student's face during teaching