University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 February 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British Columbia8 January 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 December 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 December 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Education22 December 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
Productive and Great Environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2015
Work environment is great; campus is beautiful; Many great people to work with and learn from; the most enjoyable part of my job (teaching) are the brilliant students.
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 October 2015
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
Pros
There are many knowledgeable person
Cons
This is not a industrial working place
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME Building17 September 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of Engineering15 September 2015
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
Pros
Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons
Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
Una oportunidad de trabajo
General worker at Totem Park Residence (Former Employee) –  Vancouver1 September 2015
Nada más llegar a la ciudad de Vancouver hice una entrevista para trabajar con los servicios de alimentación de las residencias universitarias y todo fue fácil, ningún problema.
El trabajo era flexible, tenía mis horas fijas pero con posibilidad de aumentarlas sustituyendo a algún compañero. Los superiores se mostraban siempre dispuestos y nunca me faltó la ayuda cuando no entendía algo. Cuidaban siempre del bienestar de los trabajadores, por lo que podía tomarme un rato libre entre tarea y tarea.
El ambiente era estudiantil, me sentí acogida desde el primer día.
Pros
Flexibilidad horaria, diversidad de puestos de trabajo
Cons
Estresante en horas clave
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BC10 August 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee) –  animal team30 July 2015
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons
the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC25 July 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling Laboratory23 July 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 July 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
University with lots of good research
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2015
The project I worked on was great! It allowed me to learn new things and advance my oceanography knowledge. The people I worked for were very cooperative and responsive.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 June 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2