University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Great place to work with flexible schedules
lab technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2015
I start work at 5 am and work until 10 am. I do administration and jobs around the lab, of a scientific nature. My boss and coworkers all work together for the greater good. We have had no problems with working in a group or as individuals. Hardest part of my job is sometimes finding enough time to do everything. Best part of my job are the people.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
lots of work to do in a finite amount of time
Work
Visiting Artist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kelowna14 April 2015
• Creative and Critical Studies department, under department head Dr. Ashok Mathur
• Excellent knowledge of: Microsoft office, Internet to conduct research, emails and other basic office and administrative activities
• Liaise with local artists and guest speakers
An enjoyable experience at the Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 April 2015
Working at the bookstore I needed to restock items sometimes and as a cashier at the front, it was a great experience because I could improve on my people skills and I learned a lot by gaining experience. I worked as a temporary part-time worker because of the increase in customers during the beginning of the term. During this period, students needed to buy or rent textbooks. It was a enjoyable experience being able to gain some skills in customer service.
Pros
Reasonable hours
very good working enironment
Jump start orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 April 2015
awesome team,good training and working experience.I enjoyded working with th very enthusiastic and energetic orientation team.
good compesation
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver26 March 2015
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Pros
Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons
Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 March 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.
Good positive place to work in
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 February 2015
I loved working in this environment. Everyone has a personal link to the success of the group. It is rewarding and a feel good.
Easy job for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 February 2015
Typical position involves getting paid for way more than you do most weeks and way less other weeks. Usually the busy weeks come around midterms as you will need to be marking those in many positions which is unfortunate to say the least. Most professors are reasonable in what they ask of you but you may run into one or two that have scheduled your semester down to the half hour and you will be swamped because things will take longer than they say. Overall, try to get a lab position and you will have it easy.
Excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2015
I have excellent experiences working for UBC. It is a job in which you can be independent and depending who your supervisor is can be very flexible.
A fair environment for graduate students as teaching assistants
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2015
A typical day varies depending on the classes involved in, but all of the professors in my experience have been fair and respectful of their teaching assistants.
productive and warm environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver11 December 2014
I love it when I see smiles on student's face during teaching
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 December 2014
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Pros
nothing
Cons
very unstable, very shady
Inspiring and creative
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 October 2014
Great place to work and study at. Good, respectful and helpful people. High level of education and professionalism.
Productive, good to build your research enviroment
Visiting Scientist (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 October 2014
Good environment. I am a visiting researcher there and I just work with myself. The facilities are good and the open t work with new researchers in any program!
UBC was awesome
Systems Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 October 2014
UBC was fantastic place to work, great learning environment.
Easy job with high pay
Sales Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 September 2014
Working with UBC Food Services is enjoyable and my co-workers are nice. Although management can be a little more organised but overall it's pretty easy and good salary.
Pros
pay
Cons
opens late
A good place to begin
Jumpstart International Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 September 2014
Great opportunities to gain employment, but hard to stay in the same position for multiple years as a student. They like to offer the opportunities to everyone, so once you have completed your year, it is time for a new face.

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location