University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place
Print Studio Technician and Gallery Attendant (Former Employee), vancouverFebruary 22, 2014
Learned a lot. Academic environment you must make your own work here sometimes.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Productive, inspiring and social
Research Assistant (Volunteer work) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: location- being able to volunteer at ubc made it easy for me to allocate my time efficiently
Cons: time- as a full time student, i was not able to offer as much time as i would have like to
At this volunteer position I was able to learn a lot and become influenced by some of the smarted people I know. Working in the Riparian and Stream Ecology Lab at UBC, while the work was not as glamorous work, I had the opportunity interact with masters, PhD and Postdoctoral students in the same field of studies I hope to pursuit one day.

My job entailed sorting through terrestrial invertebrate samples, identifying and organizing them for a PhD student's research project. In addition to this, I was able to help collect data in the field which helped me to better understand the project. Once I had spent some time in the lab, I was able to ask each person about their projects, what they have done in the past and what they see for them selves in the future. This was the best part and the part that allowed me to come up with my own research project as a part of an individual directed studies at UBC. For this directed study, as one of my electives, I had to find a supervisor and write a proposal for for a research project. I am still in the process of this project and am very exited to see the end result!

This position, while not paid, has really helped to fine-tune my future direction, it has allowed me the chance to work independently and efficiently as well as part of a team. While the hardest (dullest) part of this position would have to be the lab work of sorting samples, at the same time it is the best part because you know you are helping with research that can be for future capacity building within the scientific community.
Fun but fast paced job that requires leadership and customer service.
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free meal, great pay, convenient location
Cons: non-flexible scheduling
A typical day at work consist of customer service, money handling, and serving food. Working for UBC for two year has no doubt taught me how to become a leader, how to work in the absence of supervision, how to communicate with customers, and handling money accurately. The management there needs some improvement when it comes to communication. My co-workers are amazing, they're one of the reasons that keep me motivated because we all have created a very close relationship and we are willing to help each other out during rush hours. The hardest part of my job is taking orders from customers who aren't paying attention when you repeat the order to them, and those who are very indecisive when it comes to ordering. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with people. I really enjoy how my job allows me so much flexibility, if i need a break from taking orders, I can help with expo or help serve food instead.
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: could be good for career
Cons: pricey, long commutes
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Very Good Research University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverNovember 4, 2013
Inspiring working place for condensed matter physics
In particular, the superconductivity lab is of great shape
It has crystal growth facilities and microwave and STM techniques
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Pros: a lot of learning and productivity
Cons: not application
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
production
Maintenance supervisor/custodian (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 10, 2013
busy when day go fast
learn and provide service
great to work with all managers
great to work together make life easy
not getting all done
when all job are done in day
hard work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2013
Pros: pay is good, if really work the mentioned hours
Cons: tight schedule, multiple tasks, pressure to work more than in the contract
know that for some students there is less work then for others, while letting the same pay
Above average
Graduate Study & Research (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2013
Great co-workers
Reasonable management
Crowd
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
Married and moved
Cyclotron Operator (Former Employee), vancouver, BCJune 27, 2013
Looking for new challenges! Although quite satisfied, I wanted to use all my accumulated knowledge and devote myself to one company!
Productive and helpful Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: free food sometimes
Cons: long working hours
Co-workers are helpful, social, and careful. However, I am new here, so less experiences about this university. So far, the experience is good. The working environment is very pleasant. My supervisor is very nice person and seems to me very understandable and helpful.
Research on energy economics and policy of decentralized energy generation
Visiting Research Fellow (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: this is of great interest to me.
I work with colleagues on the adoption and policy mechanisms of solar photovoltaic technology for lighting in India.
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Pros: getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons: salary and job security
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Student Position at UBC
Senior Collegia Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 25, 2013
Pros: get some experience and relax from studying
Cons: student position
I had the chance to work while I was taking my Master.
This was an interesting way to get some teaching and administrative experiences in Canada.
I think by taking this job, I was able to relax from the pressure of my studies and I could contribute to the university community as well, which I felt rewarding.
38 years working there
Senior Forest Technician (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my job
Cons: wages could have been better
It was not the same job every day and you were out doors and doing it with out being pressured
Overall, I like it
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 20, 2013
I learned a lot from co-workers, and the environment is perfect, both safe and organized.
Intellectually challenging academic environment.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 12, 2012
UBC is a large, diverse university that provides an intellectually challenging academic environment.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.