University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 October 2013
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
Pros
A lot of learning and productivity
Cons
Not application
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 March 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Fun but fast paced job that requires leadership and customer service.
Sales Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 February 2014
A typical day at work consist of customer service, money handling, and serving food. Working for UBC for two year has no doubt taught me how to become a leader, how to work in the absence of supervision, how to communicate with customers, and handling money accurately. The management there needs some improvement when it comes to communication. My co-workers are amazing, they're one of the reasons that keep me motivated because we all have created a very close relationship and we are willing to help each other out during rush hours. The hardest part of my job is taking orders from customers who aren't paying attention when you repeat the order to them, and those who are very indecisive when it comes to ordering. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with people. I really enjoy how my job allows me so much flexibility, if i need a break from taking orders, I can help with expo or help serve food instead.
Pros
free meal, great pay, convenient location
Cons
non-flexible scheduling
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME Building17 September 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
Easy job with high pay
Sales Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 September 2014
Working with UBC Food Services is enjoyable and my co-workers are nice. Although management can be a little more organised but overall it's pretty easy and good salary.
Pros
pay
Cons
opens late
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 April 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BC10 August 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Education22 December 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee) –  animal team30 July 2015
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons
the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 July 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling Laboratory23 July 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British Columbia8 January 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 June 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 December 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 October 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2