University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 July 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British Columbia8 January 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 December 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling Laboratory23 July 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 June 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of Engineering15 September 2015
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
Pros
Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons
Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
Productive and Great Environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2015
Work environment is great; campus is beautiful; Many great people to work with and learn from; the most enjoyable part of my job (teaching) are the brilliant students.
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 October 2015
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
Pros
There are many knowledgeable person
Cons
This is not a industrial working place
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 October 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
An enjoyable experience at the Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 April 2015
Working at the bookstore I needed to restock items sometimes and as a cashier at the front, it was a great experience because I could improve on my people skills and I learned a lot by gaining experience. I worked as a temporary part-time worker because of the increase in customers during the beginning of the term. During this period, students needed to buy or rent textbooks. It was a enjoyable experience being able to gain some skills in customer service.
Pros
Reasonable hours
Easy job for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 February 2015
Typical position involves getting paid for way more than you do most weeks and way less other weeks. Usually the busy weeks come around midterms as you will need to be marking those in many positions which is unfortunate to say the least. Most professors are reasonable in what they ask of you but you may run into one or two that have scheduled your semester down to the half hour and you will be swamped because things will take longer than they say. Overall, try to get a lab position and you will have it easy.
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
Great place to work with flexible schedules
lab technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2015
I start work at 5 am and work until 10 am. I do administration and jobs around the lab, of a scientific nature. My boss and coworkers all work together for the greater good. We have had no problems with working in a group or as individuals. Hardest part of my job is sometimes finding enough time to do everything. Best part of my job are the people.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
lots of work to do in a finite amount of time
Above average