University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Education22 December 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
Productive and Great Environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2015
Work environment is great; campus is beautiful; Many great people to work with and learn from; the most enjoyable part of my job (teaching) are the brilliant students.
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 October 2015
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
Pros
There are many knowledgeable person
Cons
This is not a industrial working place
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME Building17 September 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of Engineering15 September 2015
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
Pros
Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons
Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BC10 August 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee) –  animal team30 July 2015
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons
the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC25 July 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling Laboratory23 July 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 July 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
University with lots of good research
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2015
The project I worked on was great! It allowed me to learn new things and advance my oceanography knowledge. The people I worked for were very cooperative and responsive.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 June 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Good School
Undergraduate Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2015
Pretty good school. As with most large universities, there can be a sense of disconnect from the campus community. Profs can be hard to understand, but they're smart, even if they don't mean well.
It was fun and engaging
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2015
I was responsible for leading the lab sessions, helping students with questions and marking lab quizzes.

It was fun because I made a lot of friends with my students and coworkers.
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2015
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
overload if ur good and bad management.
Great Location, Very nice Staff
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2015
The location of the UBC is great. and the staff are very supportive. But Vancouver is a very expensive place to live, plus the environment tax make parking fee extremely high. Make sure you can make enough money to survive.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna5 May 2015
Organized and ran labs for twenty first year students. Introduced and explained basic concepts of electrical circuits and demonstrated building circuits. Performed trouble shooting throughout each lab period on the circuits built by students. Also had weekly meetings with the department head, and kept up with weekly marking and updating grades in the online system.
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 April 2015
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Benefits
Cons
long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location