University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work!
Human Resources Manager, UBC Staff Finders (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 August 2016
The University is large and extremely varied in its employee base. It tried very hard to be respectful to it Unions and its members. It tried really hard to adopt strong people practices.
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 December 2014
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Pros
nothing
Cons
very unstable, very shady
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 July 2012
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 April 2013
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Pros
getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons
salary and job security
Definitely The Place of Mind
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  BC2 June 2016
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 February 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2015
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
overload if ur good and bad management.
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver26 March 2015
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Pros
Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons
Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2014
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Pros
Good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons
Not much career development if you are not tenure, Salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 April 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 March 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC25 July 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2014
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Pros
could be good for career
Cons
pricey, long commutes
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 April 2015
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Benefits
Cons
long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 December 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 March 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 April 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2012
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.
Pros
high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons
lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support

4.2