University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
overload if ur good and bad management.
Great Location, Very nice Staff
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
The location of the UBC is great. and the staff are very supportive. But Vancouver is a very expensive place to live, plus the environment tax make parking fee extremely high. Make sure you can make enough money to survive.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  KelownaMay 5, 2015
Organized and ran labs for twenty first year students. Introduced and explained basic concepts of electrical circuits and demonstrated building circuits. Performed trouble shooting throughout each lab period on the circuits built by students. Also had weekly meetings with the department head, and kept up with weekly marking and updating grades in the online system.
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Benefits
Cons
long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
Great place to work with flexible schedules
lab technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 19, 2015
I start work at 5 am and work until 10 am. I do administration and jobs around the lab, of a scientific nature. My boss and coworkers all work together for the greater good. We have had no problems with working in a group or as individuals. Hardest part of my job is sometimes finding enough time to do everything. Best part of my job are the people.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
lots of work to do in a finite amount of time
Work
Visiting Artist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KelownaApril 14, 2015
• Creative and Critical Studies department, under department head Dr. Ashok Mathur
• Excellent knowledge of: Microsoft office, Internet to conduct research, emails and other basic office and administrative activities
• Liaise with local artists and guest speakers
An enjoyable experience at the Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCApril 9, 2015
Working at the bookstore I needed to restock items sometimes and as a cashier at the front, it was a great experience because I could improve on my people skills and I learned a lot by gaining experience. I worked as a temporary part-time worker because of the increase in customers during the beginning of the term. During this period, students needed to buy or rent textbooks. It was a enjoyable experience being able to gain some skills in customer service.
Pros
Reasonable hours
very good working enironment
Jump start orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 9, 2015
awesome team,good training and working experience.I enjoyded working with th very enthusiastic and energetic orientation team.
good compesation
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  VancouverMarch 26, 2015
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Pros
Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons
Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.
Good positive place to work in
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2015
I loved working in this environment. Everyone has a personal link to the success of the group. It is rewarding and a feel good.
Easy job for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Typical position involves getting paid for way more than you do most weeks and way less other weeks. Usually the busy weeks come around midterms as you will need to be marking those in many positions which is unfortunate to say the least. Most professors are reasonable in what they ask of you but you may run into one or two that have scheduled your semester down to the half hour and you will be swamped because things will take longer than they say. Overall, try to get a lab position and you will have it easy.
Excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2015
I have excellent experiences working for UBC. It is a job in which you can be independent and depending who your supervisor is can be very flexible.
A fair environment for graduate students as teaching assistants
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day varies depending on the classes involved in, but all of the professors in my experience have been fair and respectful of their teaching assistants.
productive and warm environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  VancouverDecember 11, 2014
I love it when I see smiles on student's face during teaching
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Pros
nothing
Cons
very unstable, very shady
Inspiring and creative
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2014
Great place to work and study at. Good, respectful and helpful people. High level of education and professionalism.