University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME BuildingSeptember 17, 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Pros
getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons
salary and job security
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Benefits
Cons
long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BCAugust 10, 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2014
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Pros
good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons
not much career development if you are not tenure, salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British ColumbiaJanuary 8, 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 30, 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee) –  animal teamJuly 30, 2015
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons
the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Pros
could be good for career
Cons
pricey, long commutes
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling LaboratoryJuly 23, 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 18, 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
Productive and Great Environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 23, 2015
Work environment is great; campus is beautiful; Many great people to work with and learn from; the most enjoyable part of my job (teaching) are the brilliant students.
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of EngineeringSeptember 15, 2015
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
Pros
Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons
Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 22, 2015
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
Pros
There are many knowledgeable person
Cons
This is not a industrial working place
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2012
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.
Pros
high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons
lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support
Easy job with high pay
Sales Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2014
Working with UBC Food Services is enjoyable and my co-workers are nice. Although management can be a little more organised but overall it's pretty easy and good salary.
Pros
pay
Cons
opens late

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location