University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
38 years working there
Senior Forest Technician (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my job
Cons: wages could have been better
It was not the same job every day and you were out doors and doing it with out being pressured
Overall, I like it
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 20, 2013
I learned a lot from co-workers, and the environment is perfect, both safe and organized.
Intellectually challenging academic environment.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 12, 2012
UBC is a large, diverse university that provides an intellectually challenging academic environment.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work – more... directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding. – less
very good
Researcher (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2012
more options offered by UBC for individual career development.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional – more... development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life. – less
laid back entry level position
PAYROLL & STAFF RECORDS CLERK (Current Employee), vancouver bcJuly 3, 2012
Pros: 1.5 hour breaks and theres a gym i use at lunch
Cons: repetitive
repetitive, co-workers are very quiet, management is great, most enjoyable part is being able to go workout on my lunch hour, people are mainly nice, days usually go by kind of fast and i have learned lots about our collective agreement.
A place to put the world in perspective
Page (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 3, 2012
Students, teachers are extremly helpful, lots to do on and off campus.
High quality training.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee), Department of Physics and AstronomyJune 20, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: academic salaries
I did my phd here and i was employed as a research and teaching assistant as part of my degree.
UBC-A place of mind
Research Student (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 5, 2012
Met so many people from different backgrounds, learned new technologies, methods and advanced my technical skills along with communication and adaptive skills. Participated in different sports, cultural and technical committee's and functions.
A bit too lax for me
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2012
Pros: high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons: lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.

Information – July 16, 2013

This position is very demanding. The management style is chaotic. You are expected to work 12 hours a day without overtime compensation, organize and attend club events in the evenings or weekends. Not a fun place to work. Burn out in about 6 months.

Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most – more... enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS. – less
Excellent place to work!
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 13, 2014
Surrounded with sea on three sides, UBC is among the most beautiful and best places to work.
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2014
Pros: good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons: not much career development if you are not tenure, salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Inspiration environment
Carpenter (Former Employee), Golconda, ILJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free residential living, and recreation
Cons: work from 8:00am-4:00pm mon-fri
A brotherhood of hard workers striving to succeed beyond limits.
Good University in Canada
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2013
nice weather. great city. good education place.
people there are intelligent
Above average
Graduate Study & Research (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2013
Great co-workers
Reasonable management
Crowd
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers – more... were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one. – less
Married and moved
Cyclotron Operator (Former Employee), vancouver, BCJune 27, 2013
Looking for new challenges! Although quite satisfied, I wanted to use all my accumulated knowledge and devote myself to one company!
Research on energy economics and policy of decentralized energy generation
Visiting Research Fellow (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: this is of great interest to me.
I work with colleagues on the adoption and policy mechanisms of solar photovoltaic technology for lighting in India.

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more