University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
A great place to do science
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 28, 2016
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities.
-As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research).
- Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC).
- As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques.
- As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses
Well-organized.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 20, 2016
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab.

Marking their reports.

Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution.

Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class.

Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Benefits
Cons
long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Definitely The Place of Mind
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  BCJune 2, 2016
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
Excellent place to work!
Human Resources Manager, UBC Staff Finders (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 13, 2016
The University is large and extremely varied in its employee base. It tried very hard to be respectful to it Unions and its members. It tried really hard to adopt strong people practices.
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 10, 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 12, 2016
Managment is a not the best, good benefits.
It gives you enough freedom to focus on your school and do something as simple as take notes while you get paid.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 27, 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCApril 15, 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
Taught Laboratory techniques to graduate and undergraduate students
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 11, 2013
Typical day involved demonstrating the prepared lessons to a class and presenting applicable background information. Management was at hand always in a supportive way. Co-workers were excellent supports and sources of guidance. I learned that I love to teach.
Pros
getting the light to turn on for a struggling student
Cons
salary and job security
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
The best University...
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2016
UBC is a great place to work located on the West side of Vancouver near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the wellbeing of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
There is a great management team who is knowledgeable about the tasks that lay ahead to provide leadership with the best policies for each department to safely move forward to a sustainable future. They take to lead in sustainability and research in various departments. It has been a pleasure to work as a team member with all the departments, managers, supervisors over the course of my career.
My co-workers were great, professional, successful and had the expertise to carry out many medium and large construction projects that were delivered on time and on budget over the course of my career. The University has truly undertaken a real change, a complete renewal for the existing infrastructure including existing and new buildings that provide the best technology, labs, and research equipment. The buildings are far advanced and up to date with the latest technology, labs, and research equipment to provide the necessary training and learning for all Students.
  more...
The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the many changes over the course of this complete renewal over the last decade with an ever increasing workload that goes along with it, but with the professional Staff, Managers and great co-workers we all enjoyed the challenges that lay ahead and were able to see firsthand what all our hard work produces for this great University and its community.
The most enjoyable part was the free education and many benefits that included training, health and wellness sessions, barbeques, business plan meetings, learning lunches, health and safety seminars that were freely offered to us and we all were able to attend and enjoy. Furthermore, to be given the opportunity to advance in our careers. It was truly an enjoyable learning and work experience at one of the best Universities I have seen and known...
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
Pros
could be good for career
Cons
pricey, long commutes

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location