University of British Columbia Employee Review

View all University of British Columbia reviews

Productive, inspiring and social
Research Assistant (Volunteer work) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 February 2014
At this volunteer position I was able to learn a lot and become influenced by some of the smarted people I know. Working in the Riparian and Stream Ecology Lab at UBC, while the work was not as glamorous work, I had the opportunity interact with masters, PhD and Postdoctoral students in the same field of studies I hope to pursuit one day.

My job entailed sorting through terrestrial invertebrate samples, identifying and organizing them for a PhD student's research project. In addition to this, I was able to help collect data in the field which helped me to better understand the project. Once I had spent some time in the lab, I was able to ask each person about their projects, what they have done in the past and what they see for them selves in the future. This was the best part and the part that allowed me to come up with my own research project as a part of an individual directed studies at UBC. For this directed study, as one of my electives, I had to find a supervisor and write a proposal for for a research project. I am still in the process of this project and am very exited to see the end result!

This position, while not paid, has really helped to fine-tune my future direction, it has allowed me the chance to work independently and efficiently as well as part of a team. While the hardest (dullest) part of this position would have to be the lab work of sorting samples, at the same time it is the best part because you know you are helping with research that can be for future capacity building within the scientific community.
Pros
Location- being able to volunteer at UBC made it easy for me to allocate my time efficiently
Cons
Time- as a full time student, I was not able to offer as much time as I would have like to

Other University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2017
The management is great and the staff are friendly and supportive. I worked there part-time and I learned a lot from other instructors through shared classes. The management was very supportive and provided feedback on classes they observed. They were always willing to advice on how to improve.
The hardest part of the job was the unpredictability of work. I was only a part-time instructor and could only hope to get full-time work by teaching many courses.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the field trips we did with the students who were mostly Asians wanting to develop their English on short courses.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
No job security if you are not a full-time employee
Sharpened communication skills
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
Through this position, I learned how to simplify complicated ideas on the spot to aid students understand the course material. Communication with the professor was seamless and very simple since she was easy to work with and work for.
Pros
Great watching people learn.
Cons
Lots of grading.