University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
A great place to do science
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 28, 2016
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities.
-As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research).
- Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC).
- As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques.
- As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses
Well-organized.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 20, 2016
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab.

Marking their reports.

Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution.

Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class.

Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 10, 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Definitely The Place of Mind
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  BCJune 2, 2016
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 27, 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 12, 2016
Managment is a not the best, good benefits.
It gives you enough freedom to focus on your school and do something as simple as take notes while you get paid.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
overload if ur good and bad management.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCApril 15, 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME BuildingSeptember 17, 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  VancouverMarch 26, 2015
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Pros
Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons
Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Pros
nothing
Cons
very unstable, very shady
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BCAugust 10, 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location