University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, inspiring and social
Research Assistant (Volunteer work) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: location- being able to volunteer at ubc made it easy for me to allocate my time efficiently
Cons: time- as a full time student, i was not able to offer as much time as i would have like to
At this volunteer position I was able to learn a lot and become influenced by some of the smarted people I know. Working in the Riparian and Stream Ecology Lab at UBC, while the work was not as glamorous work, I had the opportunity interact with masters, PhD and Postdoctoral students in the same field of studies I hope to pursuit one day.

My job entailed sorting through terrestrial invertebrate samples, identifying and organizing them for a PhD student's research project. In addition to this, I was able to help collect data in the field which helped me to better understand the project. Once I had spent some time in the lab, I was able to ask each person about their projects, what they have done in the past and what they see for them selves in the future. This was the best part and the part that allowed me to come up with my own research project as a part of an individual directed studies at UBC. For this directed study, as one of my electives, I had to find a supervisor and write a proposal for for a research project. I am still in the process of this project and am very exited to see the end result!

This position, while not paid, has really helped to fine-tune my future direction, it has allowed me the chance to work independently and efficiently as well as part of a team. While the hardest (dullest) part of this position would have to be the lab work of sorting samples, at the same time it is the best part because you know you are helping with research that can be for future capacity building within the scientific community.
Fun but fast paced job that requires leadership and customer service.
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free meal, great pay, convenient location
Cons: non-flexible scheduling
A typical day at work consist of customer service, money handling, and serving food. Working for UBC for two year has no doubt taught me how to become a leader, how to work in the absence of supervision, how to communicate with customers, and handling money accurately. The management there needs some improvement when it comes to communication. My co-workers are amazing, they're one of the reasons that keep me motivated because we all have created a very close relationship and we are willing to help each other out during rush hours. The hardest part of my job is taking orders from customers who aren't paying attention when you repeat the order to them, and those who are very indecisive when it comes to ordering. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with people. I really enjoy how my job allows me so much flexibility, if i need a break from taking orders, I can help with expo or help serve food instead.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Only part time
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
More of a lifestyle than a job
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 8, 2012
A year in the life of a coach is very cyclical. During the actual season of the sport a typical day will involve practices, individual skill development, recruiting, film breakdown, scouting reports, and some fundraising. During the off-season it is a lot more recruiting, planning, fundraising, and keeping track of what our athletes are doing.

I work directly under the head coach and am basically on call at all hours. I am supposed to get 3 weeks off a year but this doesn't happen. I am always on my phone and expected to answer all calls. This makes the job quite difficult as I can never get away from it.

Working in a team atmosphere is very enjoyable and seeing players that I have recruited develop into good young men is very rewarding.
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: very unstable, very shady
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Good place to work with good benefits
Administrative Assistant of Clinical Programs (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long distance to get there and salary a bit low.
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons: Not much room for advancement.
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Easy job for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Typical position involves getting paid for way more than you do most weeks and way less other weeks. Usually the busy weeks come around midterms as you will need to be marking those in many positions which is unfortunate to say the least. Most professors are reasonable in what they ask of you but you may run into one or two that have scheduled your semester down to the half hour and you will be swamped because things will take longer than they say. Overall, try to get a lab position and you will have it easy.
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons: Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 3D Imaging and Modelling LaboratoryJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons: Still a second campus
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Pros: a lot of learning and productivity
Cons: not application
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design.
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Lots of time off
Cons: overload if ur good and bad management.
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS.
Great place to work with flexible schedules
lab technician (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 19, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: lots of work to do in a finite amount of time
I start work at 5 am and work until 10 am. I do administration and jobs around the lab, of a scientific nature. My boss and coworkers all work together for the greater good. We have had no problems with working in a group or as individuals. Hardest part of my job is sometimes finding enough time to do everything. Best part of my job are the people.
Department of Pathology
Executive Assistant to the Head - Pathology (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 3, 2013
Working in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia was a great experience; I had the opportunity to improved my skills and to interact on daily basis with faculty members, students and laboratory technician; my managers were supportive; the most enjoyable part of my job was the variety of tasks I needed to perform; my co-workers were a nice group of people from different cultures that made the time there a good one.
An enjoyable experience at the Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCApril 9, 2015
Pros: Reasonable hours
Working at the bookstore I needed to restock items sometimes and as a cashier at the front, it was a great experience because I could improve on my people skills and I learned a lot by gaining experience. I worked as a temporary part-time worker because of the increase in customers during the beginning of the term. During this period, students needed to buy or rent textbooks. It was a enjoyable experience being able to gain some skills in customer service.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee), Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot
Cons: long travelling time
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: could be good for career
Cons: pricey, long commutes
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.