University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Well-organized.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 20, 2016
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab.

Marking their reports.

Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution.

Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class.

Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
A great place to do science
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 28, 2016
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities.
-As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research).
- Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC).
- As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques.
- As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses
Definitely The Place of Mind
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  BCJune 2, 2016
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Excellent place to work!
Human Resources Manager, UBC Staff Finders (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 13, 2016
The University is large and extremely varied in its employee base. It tried very hard to be respectful to it Unions and its members. It tried really hard to adopt strong people practices.
perfect experience
H2O Mapper (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 12, 2016
I have improved my experience with Agile Software development and web development. I enjoyed every second of those 4 months I have dedicated on this project.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 27, 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 10, 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 12, 2016
Managment is a not the best, good benefits.
It gives you enough freedom to focus on your school and do something as simple as take notes while you get paid.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCApril 15, 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 30, 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British ColumbiaJanuary 8, 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 18, 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location