University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

My review of University of British Columbia
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 March 2017
UBC is a very good school, and I do learn a lot from this school. I will finish my Master degree this summer, and I hope I can find an ideal job for my future to use what I learned from the school.
review of University of British Columbia
Administrative Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
A typical day at work was very busy

I learned how to multi task

Management was efficient

Culture was family like atmosphere

The hardest part of job was when there was not enough staff to schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my fellow employees and my Managers
Pros
the staff
Cons
hours
Decent job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 February 2017
Just taught first year students about statistics and experimental design. Very easy job, about 15 hours a week, didnt pay well.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant-Physics (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 February 2017
Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight.

Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable
Pros
Very rigid in terms of scheduling
Great place to work.
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada31 January 2017
I have enjoyed working at UBC since 2002. The university is one of the foremost research universities in the world and is working to ensure that staff are able to contribute to the strategic vision.
No comments
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2017
It was a wonderful work experience at UBC. I learned a great deal of leadership, communication skills, problem solving skills, time management, organizational skills, and ethical principles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working collaboratively within a team. The hardest part was commuting to the work place.
Exchange
Exchange Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
I become familiar with Canadian culture and the exchange experience helps me to maker the friends in Canada.Most importantly, I improved my adaptive capability to the new surrounding and enhanced my oral English through doing group projects with foreign students.
Awesome employer
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2017
Great benefits. defined benefits pension plan, paid sick days. excellent medical and dental. competitive pay rates. beautiful campus and job site. commuting to work is difficult and time consuming.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
long commutes
Very good place to work and very friendly
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2017
It is a place where you can learn about a wide range of things in the project baseline.
I worked as an Electrical Engineer developing an electrical feasibility study for a Gold mining plant located in Colombia, South America.
Part of my job was to design electrical diagram and distribution to the site.
My boss was supporting me with all the information that I needed to be developing my project.
The hardest part of the job was collecting information because of the lackness of communication between our office in Vancouver and the engineers on the site (Colombia).
The part that I liked the most was the challenge in working in the Mining field and learning new technologies.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
The period was to short bacause it was a co-op job
Patrol
Campus Security (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
A typical day may start out with general customer service requests such as requests to grant access or to give directions but can change quickly into a variety of calls and requests. I have opportunities to attend calls such as first aid, suspicious persons, elevator entrapments, theft reports, and more.
I have learned so much from this job such as how to interact with all people from all walks of life and how to adapt to unexpected situations and developments.
My colleagues can be the funniest people to be around or the most annoying depending on the given day. We all take care of our own and back each other up when we need assistance on a call. We all depend on each other to help the hours go by.
The best and hardest part of the job is working with the public. My job does not allow me to always give people access when they want it or when it's convenient; in fact, I say, 'no' most of the time. This is not the most popular answer.
On the other hand, the job can be very rewarding when security can provide accesses and other services that can mean the difference in a passing grade, participating in an active police investigation, and helping someone's family member; this is always very rewarding.
Pros
variety
Cons
shift work
Productive, Educational and Fast Paced Work setting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
Working at UBC is a great environment for the curious and hard working:
The education culture fosters minds curious to learn more and the academic schedule ensures a timeline for completion of projects:
Pros
Good Salary Benefits and Education oppurtunities
Cons
Long Hours, Deadlines
Excellent
Graduate Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2017
Typical day start with work plan, ends with satisfaction and hope for the next day.

Opportunity to exercise the technical know-how.

Great co-workers and management.
Excellent
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Excellent place to work. Supportive environment. Allows one to develop their abilities. Long hours and poor pay though.
Administrative Assistant
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
The University has a great community and support system. Many opportunities to move around between departments. My first experience working directly with the IT department, most enjoyable.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2016
- Upfront about expectations
- fun place to work
- very flexible management (open to feedback)
- rapid implementation of feedback
- cares about your wellbeing first.
Pros
Free room, board, resources
Cons
Long hours, live in commitment for 3 weeks.
Diverse and encouraging working environment keen on helping you realize your dreams and expanding your horizon
Student (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 November 2016
Just as and everyone will be willing to give you all the help and support needed. Working in such an environment like this, you'll always have a reason to get excited to work everyday
productive workplace
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2016
UBC is a great place to perform research near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the well-being of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
Environment
Graduate Student, Tutor and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2016
Overall, my experiences both as a student and an employee have been humbling and wonderful. I look forward to more scholarly and volunteer experiences at UBC. The environment fuels the ability to flourish with cooperative staff and students, encouraging mentors and unwavering resources.
Pros
Opportunities
perfect experience
H2O Mapper (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 September 2016
I have improved my experience with Agile Software development and web development. I enjoyed every second of those 4 months I have dedicated on this project.
Excellent place to work!
Human Resources Manager, UBC Staff Finders (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 August 2016
The University is large and extremely varied in its employee base. It tried very hard to be respectful to it Unions and its members. It tried really hard to adopt strong people practices.

4.2