University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I was a research assistant, in a microbiology lab.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 11, 2014
Working for UBC provided a great opportunity for me to grow as a researcher and be able to expand my knowledge base within Microbiology.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 23, 2014
Gained valuable R&D and Process Engineering experience as a graduate research engineer in two separate research labs. Developed my expertise in process design & optimization techniques; while working on softwares like Hysys, Aspen Plus, Matlab, and Minitab. Hands-on experience on a variety of unit-operation instruments along with training in chemical – more... lab safety, risk assessment, WHMIS, HAZOP analysis and log book maintenance – less
Supportive, professional environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to pass along writing and analysis skills.
Great place
Print Studio Technician and Gallery Attendant (Former Employee), vancouverFebruary 22, 2014
Learned a lot. Academic environment you must make your own work here sometimes.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Productive, inspiring and social
Research Assistant (Volunteer work) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: location- being able to volunteer at ubc made it easy for me to allocate my time efficiently
Cons: time- as a full time student, i was not able to offer as much time as i would have like to
At this volunteer position I was able to learn a lot and become influenced by some of the smarted people I know. Working in the Riparian and Stream Ecology Lab at UBC, while the work was not as glamorous work, I had the opportunity interact with masters, PhD and Postdoctoral students in the same field of studies I hope to pursuit one day.

My job entailed – more... sorting through terrestrial invertebrate samples, identifying and organizing them for a PhD student's research project. In addition to this, I was able to help collect data in the field which helped me to better understand the project. Once I had spent some time in the lab, I was able to ask each person about their projects, what they have done in the past and what they see for them selves in the future. This was the best part and the part that allowed me to come up with my own research project as a part of an individual directed studies at UBC. For this directed study, as one of my electives, I had to find a supervisor and write a proposal for for a research project. I am still in the process of this project and am very exited to see the end result!

This position, while not paid, has really helped to fine-tune my future direction, it has allowed me the chance to work independently and efficiently as well as part of a team. While the hardest (dullest) part of this position would have to be the lab work of sorting samples, at the same time it is the best part because you know you are helping with research that can be for future capacity building within the scientific community. – less
Fun but fast paced job that requires leadership and customer service.
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free meal, great pay, convenient location
Cons: non-flexible scheduling
A typical day at work consist of customer service, money handling, and serving food. Working for UBC for two year has no doubt taught me how to become a leader, how to work in the absence of supervision, how to communicate with customers, and handling money accurately. The management there needs some improvement when it comes to communication. My co-workers – more... are amazing, they're one of the reasons that keep me motivated because we all have created a very close relationship and we are willing to help each other out during rush hours. The hardest part of my job is taking orders from customers who aren't paying attention when you repeat the order to them, and those who are very indecisive when it comes to ordering. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with people. I really enjoy how my job allows me so much flexibility, if i need a break from taking orders, I can help with expo or help serve food instead. – less
Demanding but not always rewarding
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: could be good for career
Cons: pricey, long commutes
UBC is an interesting place. Some great people, some great research and not so great job security (grant based jobs are never secure). Salary and benefits are good, but promotions are rare. All in all - it is Ok place to work in. ...if you can deal with house/parking pricing and commutes for those living beyond Boundary Rd.
wonderful experience
Lab / Tutorial Supervisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 7, 2014
wonderful experience doing both research and teaching there; short of funds is a big pity for losing that job
Great University
UBC LAB (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: challenging
Cons: may get tedious, every now and then
- Process Control
- Chemical Engineering Labs
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat and Mass transfer
UBC is a great learning environment
Formal Report (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 23, 2013
Volunteering for the UBC student housing committee on move-in day was a humbling experience. It got me accustomed to meeting and helping new people, as well as make new friends and help/guide others around the campus/dorms.
great research environment
Research Assitant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 19, 2013
Nice place to work and study and learn new things. It provides a greats research environment for students and research workers. I enjoy studying and working here.
organize the final meeting
Interviewer and Translator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 6, 2013
It was a great environment at this reach group, all of reachers are very friend, we helped each other, and made every meeting very successful.
Very Good Research University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverNovember 4, 2013
Inspiring working place for condensed matter physics
In particular, the superconductivity lab is of great shape
It has crystal growth facilities and microwave and STM techniques
Productive and excellent venue to expertise as a structural engineer
Research Assistant and Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 21, 2013
Pros: a lot of learning and productivity
Cons: not application
Excellent and knowledgable supervisor. During my work experience, I encountered different challenges that always motivated me to learn new skills and build a stronger background in my field of study. I am also having the pleasure of working with competitive and helpful colleagues. Thereby, it never was difficult to find the right motivation to be productive, – more... and establish a more in-depth knowledge in structural analysis and design. – less
production
Maintenance supervisor/custodian (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 10, 2013
busy when day go fast
learn and provide service
great to work with all managers
great to work together make life easy
not getting all done
when all job are done in day
hard work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2013
Pros: pay is good, if really work the mentioned hours
Cons: tight schedule, multiple tasks, pressure to work more than in the contract
know that for some students there is less work then for others, while letting the same pay
School VS Social
AMS student (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 29, 2013
Pros: lots of activities
Cons: heavy work load from readings
It is really difficult to achieve a good grade and join lots of social activities with other students. The competition for good grade can drive once life crazy. Yet, the social life with a group of talented people can improve one's life not only academically, but also direct the way to pursue a new horizon with common interest after class time.
Productive and helpful Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 9, 2013
Pros: free food sometimes
Cons: long working hours
Co-workers are helpful, social, and careful. However, I am new here, so less experiences about this university. So far, the experience is good. The working environment is very pleasant. My supervisor is very nice person and seems to me very understandable and helpful.
Student Position at UBC
Senior Collegia Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 25, 2013
Pros: get some experience and relax from studying
Cons: student position
I had the chance to work while I was taking my Master.
This was an interesting way to get some teaching and administrative experiences in Canada.
I think by taking this job, I was able to relax from the pressure of my studies and I could contribute to the university community as well, which I felt rewarding.

1 2 3

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more