University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Diverse and encouraging working environment keen on helping you realize your dreams and expanding your horizon
Student (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 November 2016
Just as and everyone will be willing to give you all the help and support needed. Working in such an environment like this, you'll always have a reason to get excited to work everyday
productive workplace
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2016
UBC is a great place to perform research near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the well-being of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
Environment
Graduate Student, Tutor and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2016
Overall, my experiences both as a student and an employee have been humbling and wonderful. I look forward to more scholarly and volunteer experiences at UBC. The environment fuels the ability to flourish with cooperative staff and students, encouraging mentors and unwavering resources.
Pros
Opportunities
perfect experience
H2O Mapper (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 September 2016
I have improved my experience with Agile Software development and web development. I enjoyed every second of those 4 months I have dedicated on this project.
Excellent place to work!
Human Resources Manager, UBC Staff Finders (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 August 2016
The University is large and extremely varied in its employee base. It tried very hard to be respectful to it Unions and its members. It tried really hard to adopt strong people practices.
The best University...
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 July 2016
UBC is a great place to work located on the West side of Vancouver near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the wellbeing of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
There is a great management team who is knowledgeable about the tasks that lay ahead to provide leadership with the best policies for each department to safely move forward to a sustainable future. They take to lead in sustainability and research in various departments. It has been a pleasure to work as a team member with all the departments, managers, supervisors over the course of my career.
My co-workers were great, professional, successful and had the expertise to carry out many medium and large construction projects that were delivered on time and on budget over the course of my career. The University has truly undertaken a real change, a complete renewal for the existing infrastructure including existing and new buildings that provide the best technology, labs, and research equipment. The buildings are far advanced and up to date with the latest technology, labs, and research equipment to provide the necessary training and learning for all Students.
  more...
The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the many changes over the course of this complete renewal over the last decade with an ever increasing workload that goes along with it, but with the professional Staff, Managers and great co-workers we all enjoyed the challenges that lay ahead and were able to see firsthand what all our hard work produces for this great University and its community.
The most enjoyable part was the free education and many benefits that included training, health and wellness sessions, barbeques, business plan meetings, learning lunches, health and safety seminars that were freely offered to us and we all were able to attend and enjoy. Furthermore, to be given the opportunity to advance in our careers. It was truly an enjoyable learning and work experience at one of the best Universities I have seen and known...
Well-organized.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 July 2016
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab.

Marking their reports.

Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution.

Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class.

Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
Notetaker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 July 2016
Managment is a not the best, good benefits.
It gives you enough freedom to focus on your school and do something as simple as take notes while you get paid.
A great place to do science
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2016
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities.
-As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research).
- Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC).
- As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques.
- As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses
Definitely The Place of Mind
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  BC2 June 2016
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 April 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 April 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 March 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 March 2016
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 February 2016
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Pros
Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 February 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British Columbia8 January 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 December 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?

University of British Columbia Reviews by Location