University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons: Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.
Good positive place to work in
Data Coordinator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 26, 2015
I loved working in this environment. Everyone has a personal link to the success of the group. It is rewarding and a feel good.
Easy job for students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Typical position involves getting paid for way more than you do most weeks and way less other weeks. Usually the busy weeks come around midterms as you will need to be marking those in many positions which is unfortunate to say the least. Most professors are reasonable in what they ask of you but you may run into one or two that have scheduled your semester down to the half hour and you will be swamped because things will take longer than they say. Overall, try to get a lab position and you will have it easy.
Excellent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2015
I have excellent experiences working for UBC. It is a job in which you can be independent and depending who your supervisor is can be very flexible.
A fair environment for graduate students as teaching assistants
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day varies depending on the classes involved in, but all of the professors in my experience have been fair and respectful of their teaching assistants.
productive and warm environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), VancouverDecember 11, 2014
I love it when I see smiles on student's face during teaching
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: very unstable, very shady
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
Great place to work with lots of opportunity.
Departmental Secretary (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 8, 2014
Duties included investigating compensation and payment disputes, initiating payroll and pension actions for employees, compiling confidential reports and drafting letters in response to grievances, as well as safekeeping confidential files regarding pay, grievances, and benefits disputes.
Inspiring and creative
research assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2014
Great place to work and study at. Good, respectful and helpful people. High level of education and professionalism.
Productive, good to build your research enviroment
Visiting Scientist (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 8, 2014
Good environment. I am a visiting researcher there and I just work with myself. The facilities are good and the open t work with new researchers in any program!
UBC was awesome
Systems Administrator II (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2014
UBC was fantastic place to work, great learning environment.
Easy job with high pay
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: opens late
Working with UBC Food Services is enjoyable and my co-workers are nice. Although management can be a little more organised but overall it's pretty easy and good salary.
A good place to begin
Jumpstart International Orientation Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Great opportunities to gain employment, but hard to stay in the same position for multiple years as a student. They like to offer the opportunities to everyone, so once you have completed your year, it is time for a new face.
A highly technical working environment
RESEARCH ENGINEER (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
Constant problem solving, technical calculations and evaluations is required in the job. A small group of engineering expertise/technician and professionals work together to get each project done, and produce reports/suggestions and feasibility report.
It is a one of the best university in the world. The research is outstanding.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 18, 2014
The faculties are well experienced and the facilities of the university is very good.
I was a research assistant, in a microbiology lab.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 11, 2014
Working for UBC provided a great opportunity for me to grow as a researcher and be able to expand my knowledge base within Microbiology.

1 2 3 4

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more