University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee), animal teamJuly 30, 2015
Pros: good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons: the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons: Not much room for advancement.
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 3D Imaging and Modelling LaboratoryJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons: Still a second campus
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Only part time
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
University with lots of good research
Research Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 12, 2015
The project I worked on was great! It allowed me to learn new things and advance my oceanography knowledge. The people I worked for were very cooperative and responsive.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 11, 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Good School
Undergraduate Project Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
Pretty good school. As with most large universities, there can be a sense of disconnect from the campus community. Profs can be hard to understand, but they're smart, even if they don't mean well.
It was fun and engaging
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 23, 2015
I was responsible for leading the lab sessions, helping students with questions and marking lab quizzes.

It was fun because I made a lot of friends with my students and coworkers.
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Lots of time off
Cons: overload if ur good and bad management.
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
Great Location, Very nice Staff
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
The location of the UBC is great. and the staff are very supportive. But Vancouver is a very expensive place to live, plus the environment tax make parking fee extremely high. Make sure you can make enough money to survive.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), KelownaMay 5, 2015
Organized and ran labs for twenty first year students. Introduced and explained basic concepts of electrical circuits and demonstrated building circuits. Performed trouble shooting throughout each lab period on the circuits built by students. Also had weekly meetings with the department head, and kept up with weekly marking and updating grades in the online system.
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
Great place to work with flexible schedules
lab technician (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 19, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: lots of work to do in a finite amount of time
I start work at 5 am and work until 10 am. I do administration and jobs around the lab, of a scientific nature. My boss and coworkers all work together for the greater good. We have had no problems with working in a group or as individuals. Hardest part of my job is sometimes finding enough time to do everything. Best part of my job are the people.
Work
Visiting Artist Coordinator (Current Employee), KelownaApril 14, 2015
• Creative and Critical Studies department, under department head Dr. Ashok Mathur
• Excellent knowledge of: Microsoft office, Internet to conduct research, emails and other basic office and administrative activities
• Liaise with local artists and guest speakers
An enjoyable experience at the Bookstore
Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCApril 9, 2015
Pros: Reasonable hours
Working at the bookstore I needed to restock items sometimes and as a cashier at the front, it was a great experience because I could improve on my people skills and I learned a lot by gaining experience. I worked as a temporary part-time worker because of the increase in customers during the beginning of the term. During this period, students needed to buy or rent textbooks. It was a enjoyable experience being able to gain some skills in customer service.
very good working enironment
Jump start orientation Leader (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 9, 2015
awesome team,good training and working experience.I enjoyded working with th very enthusiastic and energetic orientation team.
good compesation
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons: Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
great
Volunteer: Events Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2015
it was a great experience volunteering at this great organization. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that made it a great day!
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2015
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
The University of British Columbia is an excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2015
I have been very happy working with and attending The University of British Columbia. Supervisors and professors are knowledgeable and excellent to work with.

1 2 3 4

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more