University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

inspiring
Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2017
~8 hours per day. Manually-demanding
no need to prepare for summer camp courses
help those 3rd/4th year engineering student leaders prepare lab materials
Changes for Teaching Assistants at UBC
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2017
Few years ago there was a negotiation with the union about changes to the TA contracts at UBC. Fortunately, most of them were implemented and now students benefit from inflation safe salaries, work hours limit and assistant with tuition in the later years of the graduate program. I believe those changes have been positive and necessary for a good life quality in the city.
Fun Environment
Cashier/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2017
Fun atmosphere with very friendly co-workers. Work hours were very reasonable and understanding of the fact that I was a student. Very flexible management.
Great place to work.
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2017
I worked as a Spanish TA at the University of British Columbia. I have no complaints. My supervisor was great, provided lots of support, and I truly enjoyed my job.
Worked in ecology research and it was a great starting opportunity
Ecology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2017
Worked in ecology research and it was a great starting opportunity. I am so glad that I did it. I had the nicest advisor and I learned so many cool things about microarthropods. I would definitely recommend working with the UBC Zoology Department.
Working at UBC
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 April 2017
UBC is a great place to work. The pay scales are fair, the university is internationally respected as a hub of high quality research, and the campus is beautiful.
Overall
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2017
Overall the University of British Columbia offers a good benefit package, vacation allowance and overall work/life balance.
The work conditions and environment are sub-standard as the builds are old and IT staff are often in basements or other locations which are sub-par.
The opportunities for career growth and new opportunities are limited and people tend to stay, doing the same thing, for long periods of time.
Pros
pension, vacation, work-week
Cons
limited growth, poor management
The pay is great, if you can get in
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2017
I completed one term assignment with UBC Staffing Solutions. The communication was awful, and when the term was over they tossed me aside without a second though. I was promised additional assignments following my first one, but this never came to fruition.
My review of University of British Columbia
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 March 2017
UBC is a very good school, and I do learn a lot from this school. I will finish my Master degree this summer, and I hope I can find an ideal job for my future to use what I learned from the school.
review of University of British Columbia
Administrative Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
A typical day at work was very busy

I learned how to multi task

Management was efficient

Culture was family like atmosphere

The hardest part of job was when there was not enough staff to schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my fellow employees and my Managers
Pros
the staff
Cons
hours
Decent job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 February 2017
Just taught first year students about statistics and experimental design. Very easy job, about 15 hours a week, didnt pay well.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant-Physics (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 February 2017
Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight.

Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable
Pros
Very rigid in terms of scheduling
Great place to work.
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada31 January 2017
I have enjoyed working at UBC since 2002. The university is one of the foremost research universities in the world and is working to ensure that staff are able to contribute to the strategic vision.
No comments
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2017
It was a wonderful work experience at UBC. I learned a great deal of leadership, communication skills, problem solving skills, time management, organizational skills, and ethical principles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working collaboratively within a team. The hardest part was commuting to the work place.
Exchange
Exchange Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
I become familiar with Canadian culture and the exchange experience helps me to maker the friends in Canada.Most importantly, I improved my adaptive capability to the new surrounding and enhanced my oral English through doing group projects with foreign students.
Awesome employer
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2017
Great benefits. defined benefits pension plan, paid sick days. excellent medical and dental. competitive pay rates. beautiful campus and job site. commuting to work is difficult and time consuming.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
long commutes
Very good place to work and very friendly
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2017
It is a place where you can learn about a wide range of things in the project baseline.
I worked as an Electrical Engineer developing an electrical feasibility study for a Gold mining plant located in Colombia, South America.
Part of my job was to design electrical diagram and distribution to the site.
My boss was supporting me with all the information that I needed to be developing my project.
The hardest part of the job was collecting information because of the lackness of communication between our office in Vancouver and the engineers on the site (Colombia).
The part that I liked the most was the challenge in working in the Mining field and learning new technologies.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
The period was to short bacause it was a co-op job
Patrol
Campus Security (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
A typical day may start out with general customer service requests such as requests to grant access or to give directions but can change quickly into a variety of calls and requests. I have opportunities to attend calls such as first aid, suspicious persons, elevator entrapments, theft reports, and more.
I have learned so much from this job such as how to interact with all people from all walks of life and how to adapt to unexpected situations and developments.
My colleagues can be the funniest people to be around or the most annoying depending on the given day. We all take care of our own and back each other up when we need assistance on a call. We all depend on each other to help the hours go by.
The best and hardest part of the job is working with the public. My job does not allow me to always give people access when they want it or when it's convenient; in fact, I say, 'no' most of the time. This is not the most popular answer.
On the other hand, the job can be very rewarding when security can provide accesses and other services that can mean the difference in a passing grade, participating in an active police investigation, and helping someone's family member; this is always very rewarding.
Pros
variety
Cons
shift work
Productive, Educational and Fast Paced Work setting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
Working at UBC is a great environment for the curious and hard working:
The education culture fosters minds curious to learn more and the academic schedule ensures a timeline for completion of projects:
Pros
Good Salary Benefits and Education oppurtunities
Cons
Long Hours, Deadlines
Excellent
Graduate Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2017
Typical day start with work plan, ends with satisfaction and hope for the next day.

Opportunity to exercise the technical know-how.

Great co-workers and management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2