University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, British ColumbiaJanuary 8, 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 30, 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
long travelling time
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 18, 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Pros
Union
Cons
work overload
Productive and Great Environment
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 23, 2015
Work environment is great; campus is beautiful; Many great people to work with and learn from; the most enjoyable part of my job (teaching) are the brilliant students.
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 22, 2015
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
Pros
There are many knowledgeable person
Cons
This is not a industrial working place
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME BuildingSeptember 17, 2015
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
Pros
Very sincere and dedicated
Cons
Size is small but does not matter.
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of EngineeringSeptember 15, 2015
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
Pros
Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons
Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee) –  Point Grey, Vancouver BCAugust 10, 2015
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Pros
Beautifully landscaped
Cons
Poverty wages
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee) –  animal teamJuly 30, 2015
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons
the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3D Imaging and Modelling LaboratoryJuly 23, 2015
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Pros
Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons
Still a second campus
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only part time
University with lots of good research
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 12, 2015
The project I worked on was great! It allowed me to learn new things and advance my oceanography knowledge. The people I worked for were very cooperative and responsive.
good organization
Director, Business Development (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 11, 2015
A good organization to build a career and grow in BC.I learnt a great deal about managing large teams and strategic restructuring.
Good School
Undergraduate Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
Pretty good school. As with most large universities, there can be a sense of disconnect from the campus community. Profs can be hard to understand, but they're smart, even if they don't mean well.
It was fun and engaging
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 23, 2015
I was responsible for leading the lab sessions, helping students with questions and marking lab quizzes.

It was fun because I made a lot of friends with my students and coworkers.