University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and warm environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), VancouverDecember 11, 2014
I love it when I see smiles on student's face during teaching
Reputable university with good benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2014
Overall it's a good place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. However management is very disorganized and unstructured. Technology area has unclear vision and unreliable job security.
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: very unstable, very shady
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was – more... threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat – less
Great place to work with lots of opportunity.
Departmental Secretary (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 8, 2014
Duties included investigating compensation and payment disputes, initiating payroll and pension actions for employees, compiling confidential reports and drafting letters in response to grievances, as well as safekeeping confidential files regarding pay, grievances, and benefits disputes.
Inspiring and creative
research assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2014
Great place to work and study at. Good, respectful and helpful people. High level of education and professionalism.
Productive, good to build your research enviroment
Visiting Scientist (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 8, 2014
Good environment. I am a visiting researcher there and I just work with myself. The facilities are good and the open t work with new researchers in any program!
UBC was awesome
Systems Administrator II (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2014
UBC was fantastic place to work, great learning environment.
Easy job with high pay
Sales Attendant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: opens late
Working with UBC Food Services is enjoyable and my co-workers are nice. Although management can be a little more organised but overall it's pretty easy and good salary.
A good place to begin
Jumpstart International Orientation Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Great opportunities to gain employment, but hard to stay in the same position for multiple years as a student. They like to offer the opportunities to everyone, so once you have completed your year, it is time for a new face.
A highly technical working environment
RESEARCH ENGINEER (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
Constant problem solving, technical calculations and evaluations is required in the job. A small group of engineering expertise/technician and professionals work together to get each project done, and produce reports/suggestions and feasibility report.
It is a one of the best university in the world. The research is outstanding.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 18, 2014
The faculties are well experienced and the facilities of the university is very good.
I was a research assistant, in a microbiology lab.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 11, 2014
Working for UBC provided a great opportunity for me to grow as a researcher and be able to expand my knowledge base within Microbiology.
Great working/learning environment, excellent people
Research Assistant/ GIS Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 2, 2014
I worked in the GIS lab each day. It was great to be able to have the freedom to solve problems on my own, while still having the guidance of my supervisor if I needed it. The hardest part of the job was overcoming certain personal challenges, such as learning new skills in Python. These most challenging aspects of the job turned out to be the most – more... enjoyable as well, and inspired to look for a career in GIS. – less
Excellent place to work!
Research Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 13, 2014
Surrounded with sea on three sides, UBC is among the most beautiful and best places to work.
A good place but not for career development
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2014
Pros: good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons: not much career development if you are not tenure, salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 23, 2014
Gained valuable R&D and Process Engineering experience as a graduate research engineer in two separate research labs. Developed my expertise in process design & optimization techniques; while working on softwares like Hysys, Aspen Plus, Matlab, and Minitab. Hands-on experience on a variety of unit-operation instruments along with training in chemical – more... lab safety, risk assessment, WHMIS, HAZOP analysis and log book maintenance – less
Supportive, professional environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to pass along writing and analysis skills.
Great place
Print Studio Technician and Gallery Attendant (Former Employee), vancouverFebruary 22, 2014
Learned a lot. Academic environment you must make your own work here sometimes.
Productive and efficient workplace
Change Management and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2014
A typical day at work is productive and efficient, I learned how to work in a higher education institution. Management was knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is accounting for all of the other faculties and department and the different ways they work.
Productive, inspiring and social
Research Assistant (Volunteer work) (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: location- being able to volunteer at ubc made it easy for me to allocate my time efficiently
Cons: time- as a full time student, i was not able to offer as much time as i would have like to
At this volunteer position I was able to learn a lot and become influenced by some of the smarted people I know. Working in the Riparian and Stream Ecology Lab at UBC, while the work was not as glamorous work, I had the opportunity interact with masters, PhD and Postdoctoral students in the same field of studies I hope to pursuit one day.

My job entailed – more... sorting through terrestrial invertebrate samples, identifying and organizing them for a PhD student's research project. In addition to this, I was able to help collect data in the field which helped me to better understand the project. Once I had spent some time in the lab, I was able to ask each person about their projects, what they have done in the past and what they see for them selves in the future. This was the best part and the part that allowed me to come up with my own research project as a part of an individual directed studies at UBC. For this directed study, as one of my electives, I had to find a supervisor and write a proposal for for a research project. I am still in the process of this project and am very exited to see the end result!

This position, while not paid, has really helped to fine-tune my future direction, it has allowed me the chance to work independently and efficiently as well as part of a team. While the hardest (dullest) part of this position would have to be the lab work of sorting samples, at the same time it is the best part because you know you are helping with research that can be for future capacity building within the scientific community. – less

1 2 3

About University of British Columbia

The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill – Read more