University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee), Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot
Cons: long travelling time
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Flexible work schedule
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
Productive work place with great people
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 27, 2016
The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 30, 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, British ColumbiaJanuary 8, 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
Learning from Others and the Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), School of EngineeringSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Little new in the town and less experinced in this environment
Cons: Like working with team members and yet contribute with my personal experiences
I prefer working with new people and learn from others yet do better jobs and productive outcome. Like coordinated group and team work all the time.
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCApril 15, 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
Productive fast paced environment
Stores person/Customer service (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Pros: Union
Cons: work overload
Great environment working with all types of students
Co-workers are all fun to work with
The hardest part of the job is work overload and covering for shifts
Productive and fun workplace, very good program and skillful instructors.
Research assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 18, 2015
Every day has new and exciting challenges, be it experimental or intellectual; the rest of the researchers and students make it a very fun place to work.
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons: Not much room for advancement.
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Productive Place for both study and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 3D Imaging and Modelling LaboratoryJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Lots of new opportunities as the campus is growing
Cons: Still a second campus
UBCO is a new campus of the University of British Columbia that is located at Kelowna, Okanagan. This campus is growing very fast as lots of international graduate students are heading to this campus. The quick growth has created a great atmosphere both for graduate student and faculties to develop great research projects and attract industrial partners to the academia.
As a result, UBC Okanagan is now offering lots of great opportunities both in the field of engineering/ health research areas and academic programs in Bachelor, Masters, and Phd levels.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Only part time
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.
Place of learning
Visiting Researcher (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 22, 2015
Pros: There are many knowledgeable person
Cons: This is not a industrial working place
I learn more about seismic design and pushover analysis and performance evaluation of the existing structures from UBC.
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME BuildingSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Very sincere and dedicated
Cons: Size is small but does not matter.
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.