University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Productive, Educational and Fast Paced Work setting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
Working at UBC is a great environment for the curious and hard working:
The education culture fosters minds curious to learn more and the academic schedule ensures a timeline for completion of projects:
Pros
Good Salary Benefits and Education oppurtunities
Cons
Long Hours, Deadlines
review of University of British Columbia
Administrative Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
A typical day at work was very busy

I learned how to multi task

Management was efficient

Culture was family like atmosphere

The hardest part of job was when there was not enough staff to schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job were my fellow employees and my Managers
Pros
the staff
Cons
hours
Awesome employer
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2017
Great benefits. defined benefits pension plan, paid sick days. excellent medical and dental. competitive pay rates. beautiful campus and job site. commuting to work is difficult and time consuming.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
long commutes
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2016
- Upfront about expectations
- fun place to work
- very flexible management (open to feedback)
- rapid implementation of feedback
- cares about your wellbeing first.
Pros
Free room, board, resources
Cons
Long hours, live in commitment for 3 weeks.
No comments
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2017
It was a wonderful work experience at UBC. I learned a great deal of leadership, communication skills, problem solving skills, time management, organizational skills, and ethical principles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working collaboratively within a team. The hardest part was commuting to the work place.
Very good place to work and very friendly
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2017
It is a place where you can learn about a wide range of things in the project baseline.
I worked as an Electrical Engineer developing an electrical feasibility study for a Gold mining plant located in Colombia, South America.
Part of my job was to design electrical diagram and distribution to the site.
My boss was supporting me with all the information that I needed to be developing my project.
The hardest part of the job was collecting information because of the lackness of communication between our office in Vancouver and the engineers on the site (Colombia).
The part that I liked the most was the challenge in working in the Mining field and learning new technologies.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
The period was to short bacause it was a co-op job
Exchange
Exchange Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
I become familiar with Canadian culture and the exchange experience helps me to maker the friends in Canada.Most importantly, I improved my adaptive capability to the new surrounding and enhanced my oral English through doing group projects with foreign students.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2017
Typical day start with work plan, ends with satisfaction and hope for the next day.

Opportunity to exercise the technical know-how.

Great co-workers and management.
Environment
Graduate Student, Tutor and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2016
Overall, my experiences both as a student and an employee have been humbling and wonderful. I look forward to more scholarly and volunteer experiences at UBC. The environment fuels the ability to flourish with cooperative staff and students, encouraging mentors and unwavering resources.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
A great place to do science
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2016
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities.
-As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research).
- Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC).
- As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques.
- As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses

Want to know more about University of British Columbia?

Ask a question
Well-organized.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 July 2016
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab.

Marking their reports.

Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution.

Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class.

Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
productive workplace
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2016
UBC is a great place to perform research near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the well-being of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
Excellent
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2017
Excellent place to work. Supportive environment. Allows one to develop their abilities. Long hours and poor pay though.
Patrol
Campus Security (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
A typical day may start out with general customer service requests such as requests to grant access or to give directions but can change quickly into a variety of calls and requests. I have opportunities to attend calls such as first aid, suspicious persons, elevator entrapments, theft reports, and more.
I have learned so much from this job such as how to interact with all people from all walks of life and how to adapt to unexpected situations and developments.
My colleagues can be the funniest people to be around or the most annoying depending on the given day. We all take care of our own and back each other up when we need assistance on a call. We all depend on each other to help the hours go by.
The best and hardest part of the job is working with the public. My job does not allow me to always give people access when they want it or when it's convenient; in fact, I say, 'no' most of the time. This is not the most popular answer.
On the other hand, the job can be very rewarding when security can provide accesses and other services that can mean the difference in a passing grade, participating in an active police investigation, and helping someone's family member; this is always very rewarding.
Pros
variety
Cons
shift work
The best University...
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 July 2016
UBC is a great place to work located on the West side of Vancouver near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the wellbeing of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world.
There is a great management team who is knowledgeable about the tasks that lay ahead to provide leadership with the best policies for each department to safely move forward to a sustainable future. They take to lead in sustainability and research in various departments. It has been a pleasure to work as a team member with all the departments, managers, supervisors over the course of my career.
My co-workers were great, professional, successful and had the expertise to carry out many medium and large construction projects that were delivered on time and on budget over the course of my career. The University has truly undertaken a real change, a complete renewal for the existing infrastructure including existing and new buildings that provide the best technology, labs, and research equipment. The buildings are far advanced and up to date with the latest technology, labs, and research equipment to provide the necessary training and learning for all Students.
  more...
The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the many changes over the course of this complete renewal over the last decade with an ever increasing workload that goes along with it, but with the professional Staff, Managers and great co-workers we all enjoyed the challenges that lay ahead and were able to see firsthand what all our hard work produces for this great University and its community.
The most enjoyable part was the free education and many benefits that included training, health and wellness sessions, barbeques, business plan meetings, learning lunches, health and safety seminars that were freely offered to us and we all were able to attend and enjoy. Furthermore, to be given the opportunity to advance in our careers. It was truly an enjoyable learning and work experience at one of the best Universities I have seen and known...
Administrative Assistant
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
The University has a great community and support system. Many opportunities to move around between departments. My first experience working directly with the IT department, most enjoyable.
Great place to work.
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada31 January 2017
I have enjoyed working at UBC since 2002. The university is one of the foremost research universities in the world and is working to ensure that staff are able to contribute to the strategic vision.
Diverse and encouraging working environment keen on helping you realize your dreams and expanding your horizon
Student (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 November 2016
Just as and everyone will be willing to give you all the help and support needed. Working in such an environment like this, you'll always have a reason to get excited to work everyday
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant-Physics (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 February 2017
Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight.

Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable
Pros
Very rigid in terms of scheduling
Decent job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 February 2017
Just taught first year students about statistics and experimental design. Very easy job, about 15 hours a week, didnt pay well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2