University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Secure workplace with great benefits
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 27, 2016
- Great work-life balance
- great benefits, awesome pension
- lots of opportunity to move around within the University
The best place to work
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours of work and friendly environment
If anyone has crave of learning and research, it could be the best place. The management is very helpful. It is very easy to get some help while working either from the colleagues or the technicians. I recommend to join there and enjoy the workplace and the surroundings.
A good research-oriented university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 24, 2016
A good research-oriented university with well equipment lab. Also, very good and courses are provided. Also, fun activities are provided for work-life balance.
Good CV building experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 26, 2015
Good salary for part time work. A typical day for me would be to conduct simulations and testing all day. Pretty much a desk job, very computer intensive for engineering research assistants.
UBC is a great place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 14, 2016
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
Engineering technician
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed working with the staff.
Cons: Not much room for advancement.
A day at UBC was teaching students to build Robots, machining parts from gears to sheet metal bending on a brake. Then machining parts for the department which could be a small titanium bolt to parts for a satellite that gets sent into space to take pictures into deep space. The challenges at UBC were endless. I learned a lot about the universe and how things work. My co-workers were inspiring students to people with Phd in there field, some were the best in the world at what they do. The hardest part of it was teaching young students from all over the world how to build stuff. Working on cutting edge technology and building some really neat equipment.
Lots of time off management very unless.
Electrician (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 11, 2015
Pros: Lots of time off
Cons: overload if ur good and bad management.
lots of good good guys to work with, work is very repetitive and no accountability if something done wrong. Good workers get taken advantage of. A very big line drawn in the sand between management and union work force. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management and leave there guys hanging out to dry.

Wouldn't work there unless u have nothing else. Or just want a retirement gig and not care.
It is a place of mind
Research Assistant (Current Employee), 1137 Alumni Ave, Room 3205, EME BuildingSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Very sincere and dedicated
Cons: Size is small but does not matter.
Enjoying doing PhD here at UBC Okanagan. Hope to work on part time basis for a good company to have hand on knowledge and experience of Canadian practices and work culture.
My job at UBC
Graduate Administrative Assistant (part time) (Current Employee), Faculty of EducationDecember 22, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot
Cons: long travelling time
I work part time on different projects led by different professors from the Faculty of Education. Most of the time I work at home, unless I need to attend meetings or workshops.

I personally enjoy the 'free-lance' nature of my jobs at UBC. The most enjoyable part is to be free to work anywhere. The hardest part, however, is the isolation one feels when he is away from his colleagues.
Really good work/life balance but experience wildly varies depending on team
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Flexible work schedule
UBC can be a really great place to work, but it really depends on which team you end up with as your day to day life will be determined heavily by your manager.
My TA ship at UBC has been a great experience
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), VancouverMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Support, Culture and welcoming environment
Cons: Work Life Balance is a choice, It gets a bit repetitive
As a TA,my responsibilities range from creating and marking quizzes and exams to writing up and grading coding assignments. I TA-ed for CPSC 416 Distributed Systems. The experience was great due to the great support I got from Colleagues as well as not feeling strange asking for questions or help. The only requirement is that you need to know your stuff really well.
Poverty wages and bureaucratic red-tape
Administration (Former Employee), Point Grey, Vancouver BCAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Beautifully landscaped
Cons: Poverty wages
Could not get anything done there with very few employees actually doing any work and the endless bureaucratic red tape. Poor campus culture with lack of integration.
Do your research especially if working in research
Tech (Former Employee), animal teamJuly 30, 2015
Pros: good wages, used to be alot of on job advancement
Cons: the university has set rules to prevent any learning of new skills if not used right away.
Check out the site, there are alot of cuts and turnovers on campus and now off as well. Some areas, ie. animal husbandry are very physical and not alot of room for advancement.
My Alma Matter
Data Analyst Class (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCApril 15, 2016
Incredible experience. I enjoyed being a student at UBCO. The class sizes were good and the extra-curricular activities were great.
A fun and educational environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, British ColumbiaJanuary 8, 2016
I spent a great deal of hours in this job simply reviewing student work and lesson planning. The best part of the job was teaching dialogue development and paradigm structure.
Applies only to UBC Okanagan
Journeyman, hired primarily for my FSR (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 30, 2015
Very good people to work with - institution having difficulty coming up with funds for regular maintenance work. Pay isn't great, but who could ask for better working conditions?
Food service
Sales Associate Food Services (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: long cummute, sometimes only for 4 hr shift and next to no hours in april to august
Busy busy busy
Dealing with many different types of customers( students) personality
Being a minority in food services
most co workers are pleasant they are older then myself and have been there as long as i have been alive so r very set in their ways
Hardest part of my job is dealing with the congestion when students get out of class and they want their food asap and we don't have enough staff
most enjoyable part of my job is meeting all the students and watching first year students learn campus and meeting visitors from all over the world
What I have learned working here is how to give exceptional customer service and how to present food and beverages
WARNING DONT WORK HERE!!!
professor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: very unstable, very shady
This college has a very unstable curriculum.

Often I find myself making up activities for the students because of the loopholes in the curriculum.

Very poorly managed

Poor screening with the students that apply at the program. ( The college itself likes to hire mentally unstable students so they can sign up and get their money)

One instructor was threatened and the school did not do anything about it.

When there is a specific problem, the management itself does not address it. Its like talking to a politician. They side step the issue and never deal with it.

Very unstable job security

Please, if you have self respect and do not like being abused by this college, do not work here

I dont know how this business stays afloat
confused
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 1, 2016
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why.
some people works very carefully, but not all.
Great Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Only part time
I worked as a Physics Teaching Assistant (TA) while studying at UBC Okanagan. For 2 years, I taught between 1 and 2 lab sections per semester. I Helped students grasp concepts they may have had difficulty understanding in class. I then graded the worksheets they filled out.

My co-workers were other students, but we did not teach classes together. We met at weekly meetings to learn the experiments, where our lab manager helped us through any difficulties we had.

The hardest part was patience, however, the majority of my students were great to instruct and fun to be around, making the job great.

The biggest issue is that you must be a student to be a TA, and they restrict you to only 2 classes a semester, so that more students can get experience.