Who Are We?
The Point Grill is recruiting for a First Cook –who oversees and participates in the day-to-day operation of a commercial kitchen for the Point Grill restaurant, assuming responsibility for leading this designated area of food preparation and food production.
In addition, the First Cook will support the Food Truck, a mobile kitchen that travels all across UBC Point-Grey campus serving a heavy volume of customers. Oversee and participate in the day-to-day mobile kitchen operation, assuming responsibility for leading the mobile kitchen food preparation and food production.
This position will be working predominantly in the Point Grill Restaurant.
What We Offer?
- Competitive starting salary $19.21/hour
- Outstanding benefits
- Generous vacations and leaves
- Development and training opportunities
- Wellness initiatives and a respectful work environment
What is the Role?
- Supervises employees including second cooks and food service workers. Coordinates the workload and provides training and direction to the staff team. Relieves responsibilities of second cooks and food service workers as operationally required.
- Acts as the kitchen shift leader (when Commissary Cook is absent) in the commercial kitchen and in the mobile kitchen ensuring that work is performed efficiently and to quality standards.
- Acts as a liaison between front and back of house during service to ensure quality and timing of food production.
- Acts as the public face of the food truck. Responsible for creating a high-energy and fun culture for the staff team and customers.
- Coordinates food preparation and food production to ensure that daily unit & service requirements are met.
- Develops and implements new menu plans within costing guidelines; keeping with the principles of being creative and artistic; and providing a casual dining experience to the clients & customers.
- Executes sophisticated menu plans that include West Coast cuisine & other ethnic cookery to meet the service standards of the department.
- Assists with counting, ordering and reconciliation of food inventory levels of management.
Who You Are?
- You must possess your Red Seal certification & are passionate about culinary arts.
- You are looking for a year round position (you have the ability to work daytime, evenings and weekends).
- You have three years relevant experience including demonstrated supervisory and leadership experience.
- You have experience working in a Food Truck.
- You are an effective communicator and have excellent interpersonal skills!
“UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.”
Express your interest by emailing your cover letter and resume with the subject “First Cook, The Point Grill.” Only those applicants short-listed will be contacted.
Indeed - 10 months ago
The University of British Columbia is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908 as the McGill University...