The Hsiao Laboratory at BC Public Health Microbiology and Reference Laboratory (BCPHMRL) and University of British Columbia (UBC) has an open position for a full-time database and application developer position. The developer will be part of a team across Canada to develop a bioinformatics platform and associated database and analysis tools to facilitate infectious disease outbreak investigations (see http://www.genomecanada.ca/en/about/news.aspx?i=431 for initial announcement). The person will be part of an interdisciplinary team of public health researchers, epidemiologists, medical microbiologists, laboratory technologists and software developers who work together through regular teleconferences and annual face-to-face meetings.
The primary responsibilities of the candidate will involve consolidating existing data sources, facilitating database design, software setup and writing cloud and semantic web enabled applications. Knowledge in biology is not essential but interest in applying CS and IT to solve health care and biological problems is a must. Technologies used in the project include SQL, RDF (resource description framework), semantic web, virtualization, REST API and the Java Spring framework.
The job candidate will work independently and report to the Principal Investigator or designate. The primary work location will be BCPHMRL, BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) site located in Vancouver. BCPHMRL and BCCDC are affiliated with UBC for education and research and the position is funded by a Genome Canada grant to the PI through UBC. The candidate will interact with UBC and Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) workers located at BCCDC and will expect to observe both the UBC and PHSA policies and rules of conducts.
- Consolidate existing databases and data sources
- Design relational databases and RDF triplestores for health care and public health data
- Implement API and user interface for these databases
- Setup bioinformatics software and other software packages needed for the project
- Develop cloud and semantic web enabled applications as part of the core application development team
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. BSc degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or equivalent preferred. Minimum of two years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. - Certified Database Administrator training or equivalent course/project work. Experience in designing, developing or administrating relational database systems.
- Experience with Linux or Unix operating systems.
- Familiarity with semantic web technologies and ontology development preferred.
- Familiarity with Bioinformatics resources and concepts such as NCBI, BioPerl, NCBI BLAST considered an asset but are not required.
- Familiarity with Hibernate is an asset. - Must have excellent communication skills and fully fluent in spoken and written English.
- Must have strong self-motivation and can work in a multi-tasking and multi-disciplinary environment.
To apply for the position visit UBC Career Site: www.staffcareers.ubc.ca/16560 or reply to this posting.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.