University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Productive and offers multiple opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Medicine6 April 2016
I have worked across various departments within the University of Alberta. Overall, work environments are relaxing and collegial. As well, the environment promotes independent thinking and learning.
Pros
Networking and professional development opportunities
I only got a part time job here.
Geophysics Research Student (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2013
it's not bad, I work 10-15 hours a week, salary is low, because i'm not paid by university, my professor paid me. learned lots of lab skill from my professor and his assistant. good experiences.
Too cold in Edmonton
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2016
lots of repetitive work, which I hate. The other things are OK, Great people to work with. Working in an undergrad lab., means lots of repetitive work every day.
Fufilling and fast paced
Paediatric Chart Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2013
I really enjoy going to this job, its very challenging and fulfilling.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Open concept work place.
Great employer
Events Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2016
Great environment to be working in. I look forward to coming to work every single day. I love meeting new people and creating meaningful interactions.
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, Alberta31 March 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
Good summer jobs here
Maintenance Worker Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2016
Fixing rooms and providing light corrective maintenance where ever its needed. Good management and coworker to work with at these jobs.
nice and productive place
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2016
co-workers were dedicated and nice. environment triggered me to be more creative and active while they gave me new tips and tricks about working there.
Great Research Team
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2013
good hours, get to meet a lot of interesting people with a ton of knowledge.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking
Enjoy fun of research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta3 July 2013
it's a good opportunity to enjoy the research life on campus.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low salary
A great place to work, unless you want to make money
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2016
Working at the U of A is great. I loved the campus and the people. It's not a good place to learn professional skills though.
Pros
Facilities on campus, gym, pool, close to river valley
Cons
Lack of professional culture and no mentoring
Great campus life
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
Working at the University of Alberta as a Teacher's Assistant and Research Assistant provided a great campus life, and work - life balance.
A Small-minded Community
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2012
Work culture is incredibly demanding and awful. One is often thrust into extra duties and chores way beyond one's mandated responsibilities. Academics are an ignorant and incompetent bunch, very difficult to work with, unless one bows to their authority like a little servant and actually do their jobs for them. Staff are not any better when many cannot do their jobs and have no motivation to upgrade themselves. Nasty politics all around and even racist comments. There is little advancement opportunity because too many people are fighting for it. Many positions are temporary and do not pay for what we put into the work. The staff union is useless and does not protect their own.
Pros
nice physical environment and easy commute
Cons
toxic work culture!!
Wonderful life experience
Graduate Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2016
My 21 years with the University of Alberta has provided me with a record of accomplishment and dedication. The experiences gave me the opportunity to develop a high level of professionalism and a strong work ethic.
Productive and friendly workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2016
The hours were very flexible and the work was very detailed and required focus. The head of the lab was very helpful as well as other lab members.
A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Devon, AB24 September 2015
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Cons
Seasonal work
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton23 January 2014
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2015
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Pros
staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons
advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3