University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Best work for students
Resource room of the Faculty of Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2015
Great place to be and graduate from. I had the opportunity to study for course and get paid to make sure others had the opportunity to use resources
Pros
more time to study and get paid for it.
Cons
not enough hours
Satisfied with my work place
Research Monitor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2015
I had a really good time at the U of A, and I had the chance to learn more about my field and related fields. Although my supervisor never had the chance to send me to an international conference, which that would had been a really nice experience.
Pros
Good facilities
Excellent place to cultivate a young mind into research field.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2015
I am thankful to be given the opportunities working in an active research laboratory here at the University of Alberta while studying for my undergraduate degree. It is a good place to work with encouraging and open people gifted with brilliant minds.
Flexible hours for a working mom
Older Adult Researcher/Workshop facilitator (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Nursing- Gerontology18 August 2015
Great work environment with lots of flexibility and independence to get the work done in a timely manner and to manage your own schedule. Great for a mom that is wanting to work only part time!
Pros
Small team, felxible hours, work independently and on a team
Cons
Can't think of any
It is an awesome University anf good place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton14 May 2015
The life at the University of Alberta is very pleasant. You start you day by walking through the beautiful Quad until to arrive to CCIS. The people working there are very smart and you learn many thing from your peers. The job gets harder when you have to submit a publication and gets easier when you just have to mark your lab reports.
A peaceful and productive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2015
During the course of my PhD., I obtained solid knowledge in chemical engineering, separation techniques, and surface analysis. Through the quarterly reporting and presentation for sponsor of my PhD project (Nova Chemicals, Calgary, AB) I learnt how to meet the deadlines, set goals, achieve them and meet all the academic and industrial expectations. Finally, this industrial collaboration paved the way for me to discover the gaps and skills required for a PhD student to transition into a managerial role in the industry.
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2015
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short hours shift
Great professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2015
In relation to my academic experience and my opportunity to work on a research project, I came across with very knowledgeable people, including my supervisor who was great and available at all times. Great space to gain work experience before going out for the real!!!
learning
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2015
Being a graduate student at university of Alberta was a whole new experience for me where you enjoy great privileges in terms of learning, professional workshops, daily activities, sports facilities and much more.
It was a great learning experience for me with access to all online databases and libraries. It greatly improved my writing, presentation and teaching skills.
Pros
learning potential
Cons
salary
Peoplesoft Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2015
It is a very productive environment and Challenging to handle the clients ,resolving their problem by giving technical Solutions.Attending meetings ,workshops to gain more knowledge about the business process.
Management is very friendly and i am getting good opportunity to work with high knowledge peoplesoft analysts.
Hardest part of my job,well i love my job ,i never feel like something is hardest for me.every challenges make to gain more knowledge .
Gaining Knowledge is the most enjoyable part not only as a part of job but also a team member.
Excellent place to work
Faculty of Extension, English Language Program (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2015
This is an excellent place to work. It is a cooperative teaching team, with a supportive management. Everyone wants to work here, and there is a good reason for that.
Productive work place
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,AB9 February 2015
Excellent management.
I had a chance to improve my knowledge and communication skills.
Had a lot of hard working co-workers to learn from
The hardest part of the jib was long working hours, working at evenings and nights sometimes to accommodate patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and relationships and go out for lunch
A great way to experience the true life of a biologst.
Ecosystem Management Emulating Natural Disturbance (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Renewable Resources18 September 2014
As with most summer student positions, the pay is low. However one should consider it an investment of sorts, and hopefully your professor/supervisor is able to spend one-on-one time with you to develop essential skills you can use in the future, and get a splendid reference like mine did for me. I would highly recommend the investment of time and lack of money, especially if you're in need of field/lab experience as a biology student.
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2014
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Lack of mentoring.
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Canada29 September 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
Challenging and fast-paced schedule being a Postdoctoral fellow
CERC Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2014
I mastered all the different modes of Atomic Force microscopy like electrostatic, magnetic, kelvin probe, scanning thermal, piezoresponse, current mapping and other miscellaneous modes. My typical day starts at 9 am when I arrive at work and turn on my machine for warming. I conduct experiments while teaching students at the same time and whenever get a chance continue work on my publications.
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton23 January 2014
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
Cons
assisting with the daily deliveries
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta18 November 2012
My daily work duties involve receiving deliveries, unpacking and re-shelving or storing stocks. I learned about new suppliers and new products. I work together with my supervisor and we keep excellent communication and work relationship. The hardest part of the work is that I have to deal with very heavy items/stocks, however the most enjoyable part of the job is that I meet daily lots of people and I make new work connections with our customers.
Pros
free time when i finish my work earlier
Cons
heavy stocks
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, Alberta31 March 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
Excellent engineering department; Overall OK institute for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2013
Enthusiastic students/researchers usually go to work everyday as early as 6:30, and finish work at late night. Researchers work both individually and as a team. Supervisors seldom come to check the works in the lab, so researchers have to work effectively under minimum supervision. Colleagues often go out to grab a beer after work. Overall, the work in university of Alberta is positive.
Pros
Heavily industrial oriented
Cons
Moderate focus on scientific research

4.4