University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

Great work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 20, 2015
The University of Alberta is a great place to work that provides you the ability to be able to further your career within different areas of the UofA.
Great Research Team
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
good hours, get to meet a lot of interesting people with a ton of knowledge.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking
Enjoy fun of research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 3, 2013
it's a good opportunity to enjoy the research life on campus.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low salary
A Small-minded Community
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2012
Work culture is incredibly demanding and awful. One is often thrust into extra duties and chores way beyond one's mandated responsibilities. Academics are an ignorant and incompetent bunch, very difficult to work with, unless one bows to their authority like a little servant and actually do their jobs for them. Staff are not any better when many cannot do their jobs and have no motivation to upgrade themselves. Nasty politics all around and even racist comments. There is little advancement opportunity because too many people are fighting for it. Many positions are temporary and do not pay for what we put into the work. The staff union is useless and does not protect their own.
Pros
nice physical environment and easy commute
Cons
toxic work culture!!
Excellent place to cultivate a young mind into research field.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2015
I am thankful to be given the opportunities working in an active research laboratory here at the University of Alberta while studying for my undergraduate degree. It is a good place to work with encouraging and open people gifted with brilliant minds.
Flexible hours for a working mom
Older Adult Researcher/Workshop facilitator (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Nursing- GerontologyAugust 18, 2015
Great work environment with lots of flexibility and independence to get the work done in a timely manner and to manage your own schedule. Great for a mom that is wanting to work only part time!
Pros
Small team, felxible hours, work independently and on a team
Cons
Can't think of any
It is a good university for research.
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJune 26, 2015
Free atmosphere for research while the publication quality is really high.

Effective administration and support team.

Good work/life balance. The library and gym are word class.
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short hours shift
Peoplesoft Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
It is a very productive environment and Challenging to handle the clients ,resolving their problem by giving technical Solutions.Attending meetings ,workshops to gain more knowledge about the business process.
Management is very friendly and i am getting good opportunity to work with high knowledge peoplesoft analysts.
Hardest part of my job,well i love my job ,i never feel like something is hardest for me.every challenges make to gain more knowledge .
Gaining Knowledge is the most enjoyable part not only as a part of job but also a team member.
Great professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2015
In relation to my academic experience and my opportunity to work on a research project, I came across with very knowledgeable people, including my supervisor who was great and available at all times. Great space to gain work experience before going out for the real!!!
Enjoy my TA position
Graduate teaching assistant for MAT E 202 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
We received plenty of train for being a research assistant for undergraduates. The management is flexible and I really interacting with my students and co-operating with my co-workers.
Pros
Flexibility in teaching
A peaceful and productive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2015
During the course of my PhD., I obtained solid knowledge in chemical engineering, separation techniques, and surface analysis. Through the quarterly reporting and presentation for sponsor of my PhD project (Nova Chemicals, Calgary, AB) I learnt how to meet the deadlines, set goals, achieve them and meet all the academic and industrial expectations. Finally, this industrial collaboration paved the way for me to discover the gaps and skills required for a PhD student to transition into a managerial role in the industry.
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 23, 2014
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
Cons
It is an awesome University anf good place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMay 14, 2015
The life at the University of Alberta is very pleasant. You start you day by walking through the beautiful Quad until to arrive to CCIS. The people working there are very smart and you learn many thing from your peers. The job gets harder when you have to submit a publication and gets easier when you just have to mark your lab reports.
Productive, exciting, always educational and challanging.
Business Relationship Manager, WestGrid Site Lead (Former Employee) –  General Services Building, Main Campus, EdmontonAugust 20, 2013
amazing place where every day may bring new challenge, very hard to establish a routine because people and projects are in constant change, this is part of the excitement, one learns to deal with change. work atmosphere is electrifying because you are surrounded by very skilled experts in any chosen field or discipline, yet very quickly it feels like one is a part of this amazing campus community, that will provide assistance and encouragement to fulfill your career and personal goals.
Productive work place
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABFebruary 9, 2015
Excellent management.
I had a chance to improve my knowledge and communication skills.
Had a lot of hard working co-workers to learn from
The hardest part of the jib was long working hours, working at evenings and nights sometimes to accommodate patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and relationships and go out for lunch
Great colleagues and educational support
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2015
Clinical instructor for undergrad nursing students primarily based on cardiac medicine. Management research driven and approachable. co-workers helpful.
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 29, 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
A place where research meets fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2014
The work for my job depends on the project's requirement. If we are running a field assessment oriented project, I need to go out taking samples and demonstrate sample analysis both on-site and back to lab. If we are running an experiment oriented project, I will spend most of time in our laboratory monitoring parameters of interests on a daily basis. Apart from these, I help other group members in sample analysis and sometimes give trainings and demonstrations in experimental skills. Meanwhile, I will compile some technical reports after or in the process of a project. All of my co-workers are hard workers and really inspiring. Together with them, we have figured out many burning issues during sampling and analysis processes. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see what we have found during our research can be applied in practice.
a good place to work if you want work life balance
SUPERVISOR, FINANCE AND BUDGETS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2015
- An 8 hour day with various duties depending on your job
- Learned how business operates in the public sector compared to the private sector
- Good team atmosphere