University of Alberta Employee Reviews

A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
Fufilling and fast paced
Paediatric Chart Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2013
I really enjoy going to this job, its very challenging and fulfilling.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Open concept work place.
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, Alberta31 March 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Devon, AB24 September 2015
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Cons
Seasonal work
Great Research Team
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2013
good hours, get to meet a lot of interesting people with a ton of knowledge.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking
Enjoy fun of research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta3 July 2013
it's a good opportunity to enjoy the research life on campus.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low salary
A Small-minded Community
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2012
Work culture is incredibly demanding and awful. One is often thrust into extra duties and chores way beyond one's mandated responsibilities. Academics are an ignorant and incompetent bunch, very difficult to work with, unless one bows to their authority like a little servant and actually do their jobs for them. Staff are not any better when many cannot do their jobs and have no motivation to upgrade themselves. Nasty politics all around and even racist comments. There is little advancement opportunity because too many people are fighting for it. Many positions are temporary and do not pay for what we put into the work. The staff union is useless and does not protect their own.
Pros
nice physical environment and easy commute
Cons
toxic work culture!!
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2015
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Pros
staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons
advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades
University Hospital great team
environmental (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2015
University of Alberta was a very safe and productive with supervisors who were very supportive. Although the U of A had several hospitals together it was not difficult to have co-workers from all different departments that respected you and greeted you. As part of Alberta Health Services one of your roles was to be understanding and empathetic of individual situations that arose on a daily basis.
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.
Multi-culture and Enjoyable Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2016
Very enjoy everyday working in the lab or be a teaching assistant for undergraduate students.
Co-works are very helpful and friendly.
Great and fun place to work at
Astrophysicist/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2016
I have been working here for more than five years. I like UofA. It's a great and fun place to work at. Everyone is friendly and environment is nice.
Pros
Fun and friendly place to work at
Good university to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2016
I was doing teaching and researching assistant when i was pursuing my Master's degree. Edmonton is a city with incredible long winter.

Good place to study and work.
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton23 January 2014
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
Peoplesoft Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2015
It is a very productive environment and Challenging to handle the clients ,resolving their problem by giving technical Solutions.Attending meetings ,workshops to gain more knowledge about the business process.
Management is very friendly and i am getting good opportunity to work with high knowledge peoplesoft analysts.
Hardest part of my job,well i love my job ,i never feel like something is hardest for me.every challenges make to gain more knowledge .
Gaining Knowledge is the most enjoyable part not only as a part of job but also a team member.
Productive, exciting, always educational and challanging.
Business Relationship Manager, WestGrid Site Lead (Former Employee) –  General Services Building, Main Campus, Edmonton20 August 2013
amazing place where every day may bring new challenge, very hard to establish a routine because people and projects are in constant change, this is part of the excitement, one learns to deal with change. work atmosphere is electrifying because you are surrounded by very skilled experts in any chosen field or discipline, yet very quickly it feels like one is a part of this amazing campus community, that will provide assistance and encouragement to fulfill your career and personal goals.
Great place to work with great opportunities
Governance Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2016
A typical day at work would be working with the Compliance officer on appeals. Using Peoplesoft to look up student information and entering appeal information into the database; preparing material to send to panel members; meeting students who come into the office for inquiries about how to submit an appeal and also ensuring that students and all panel members receive all of their material before each hearing; making nameplates; responding to emails from Faculties who inquire about previous offences for students; Closing appeal files after deadline dates have passed.

Processing invoices on a daily basis for the Department was also a big part of my job; reconciling accounts every month; reconciling the mastercard at certain periods of the month; printing off financial reports and checking them to ensure we are not overcharged; assisting staff with planning events and how to pay for the events;

For new staff it was my duty to enter all of their personnel information into Peoplesoft to ensure they got paid; Getting staff set up for the security system in our office; Entering staff leave reports for vacation and days off; entering hours for part-time staff to ensure they get paid.

I also looked after all of the equipment in our office. I had to make sure that all computers were kept up to date including office equipment.

I was the Resource Person in our office for all inquiries.

Multi-tasking was key and I was very used to this. It was done on a daily basis. Prioritizing work had to be done always.
Pros
Great atmosphere, constantly busy and keeps you on your toes
Cons
Not taking breaks. Got too involved in the work and not taking proper breaks.
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2015
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short hours shift
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant for Biostatistics (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2015
I work as Teaching Assistant and I have no complaints.I work with a professor who is well versed in Biostatistics so this is a great learning opportunity for me. Also, while teaching students it really helps to understand the concepts better.
Best work for students
Resource room of the Faculty of Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2015
Great place to be and graduate from. I had the opportunity to study for course and get paid to make sure others had the opportunity to use resources
Pros
more time to study and get paid for it.
Cons
not enough hours

4.4