University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

I enjoy working in a very diverse environment particularly in Drama and Music as there is always a play or a performance to attend.
Accounting Assistant, Department of Music (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2012
At moment I work in a small office for a manager who is easy to work for and open to everyone ideas as the office is in a state of rebuilding, lots of change. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the change within the faculty and university in general as many people have been laid off due restructuring or moved to different positions so I am often dealing with someone who is at the bottom of what is sometimes a very steep learning curve. There are many upgrades to the People soft system and things that we done a certain way a year ago have changed and process to access help is cumbersome and less than ideal That being said working in an educational setting with students around at all times make for a vibrate and sometimes noisy, crowded (HUB Mall) environment. Over the years I have met some very talented people and made some life long friends.
Pros
part time hours plus benefits for many years
Great place to work for
Research Technician (Contract position) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2015
Great place for people love to do the research; CO- workers are so helpful. awesome lab facility; however, it most likely offers contract position.
Pros
great working enviroment
Cons
contract position
Productive, exciting, always educational and challanging.
Business Relationship Manager, WestGrid Site Lead (Former Employee) –  General Services Building, Main Campus, EdmontonAugust 20, 2013
amazing place where every day may bring new challenge, very hard to establish a routine because people and projects are in constant change, this is part of the excitement, one learns to deal with change. work atmosphere is electrifying because you are surrounded by very skilled experts in any chosen field or discipline, yet very quickly it feels like one is a part of this amazing campus community, that will provide assistance and encouragement to fulfill your career and personal goals.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
Mainly I do grading work under supervision of Chinese language Coordinator. I learned many things about teaching a second language.
Dept. of Biological Sciences (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2015
Collaborative team environment with excellent and knowledgeable staff.The company was eager to implement a more sustainable method for product development
Very fun place to work
Teaching/ Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2015
Fun working environment. Lab coordinators make our life easier by preparing most materials for the labs. Some labs are not fun to teach though, but it totally depends on the lab coordinator.
Excellent academic traning
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2015
Gained valuable experiences in pipeline research
Cooperated very well with pipeline group members
Supervisors and lab instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 29, 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaDecember 17, 2013
Working at the University within the Computer Poker Research Group was amazing. I learned a ton of new things, contributed lots of code to the project and felt like I was apart of the advancement of the field. The supervising members were amazing and the problems were challenging and fun. The hardest part of the day was not getting sidetracked on all of the amazing different facets of the project.
Pros
personelle
Cons
wage?
Great working and academic environment with excellent colleagues and students
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2015
- I can always learn new knowledge and skills from my daily work
- My coworkers are extremely hard-working, helpful, and friendly.
- However, sometimes it is difficult to find experts outside the department to share experiences on specific topics
A place where research meets fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2014
The work for my job depends on the project's requirement. If we are running a field assessment oriented project, I need to go out taking samples and demonstrate sample analysis both on-site and back to lab. If we are running an experiment oriented project, I will spend most of time in our laboratory monitoring parameters of interests on a daily basis. Apart from these, I help other group members in sample analysis and sometimes give trainings and demonstrations in experimental skills. Meanwhile, I will compile some technical reports after or in the process of a project. All of my co-workers are hard workers and really inspiring. Together with them, we have figured out many burning issues during sampling and analysis processes. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see what we have found during our research can be applied in practice.
Managed certificate programs for public administration employees & elected officials
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2012
Supervised staff, managed financials, hired instructors, wrote and submitted grant funding, and met with students. A great job with learned much more about conflict resolution, and managing projects, and people.
Pros
working with people, and meeting with professionals in the field.
Cons
long hours - no time off
Great place.
System Administrator & Resident Sorcerer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 23, 2012
I had 11 different operating systems to keep running. And I did. My job was to make it possible for other people to do their job.

My bosses never understood what I did, but since things kept working, they didn't care.

I didn't have any co-workers. One man IT department. 300 computers.
Pros
banked overtime, open culture
Cons
too much to do! run off my feet.
Productive and fun place to work with recreation facilities available
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2015
A typical day at work will be getting to work early and settling down in front of your computer analyzing data from previous days or trying to get new data.
It is pleasure working at Alberta university
Faculty of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2015
the work at university starts at 8:30 am every day
the research continue all days and so the weekend for long time.
The place of work is perfect place to work
A great way to experience the true life of a biologst.
Ecosystem Management Emulating Natural Disturbance (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Renewable ResourcesSeptember 18, 2014
As with most summer student positions, the pay is low. However one should consider it an investment of sorts, and hopefully your professor/supervisor is able to spend one-on-one time with you to develop essential skills you can use in the future, and get a splendid reference like mine did for me. I would highly recommend the investment of time and lack of money, especially if you're in need of field/lab experience as a biology student.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant Faculty of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2012
Submitting information and doing resumes for Faculty of Nursing.
Pros
very dynamic and competitive environment.
Nice learning environment.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2013
It's more about education at this place because I am finishing my master degree here. My research group guarantees me flexible time and lots of resources to complete my work. But I have to find right people to discuss my discoveries and problems about work sometimes.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
relatively poor management
good
student (Former Employee) –  edmontonMarch 4, 2015
The convenience of living directly on campus should not be underestimated. It facilitates integration attempts and enforces a more vivid community life!
Discussing with office mate
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Mathematics and StatisticsFebruary 9, 2015
Being a teaching assistant is a very tasking job. My first day at this work was a bit hard for me but I later get along with it as time went by.

4.4