University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

Flexible hours for a working mom
Older Adult Researcher/Workshop facilitator (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Nursing- GerontologyAugust 18, 2015
Great work environment with lots of flexibility and independence to get the work done in a timely manner and to manage your own schedule. Great for a mom that is wanting to work only part time!
Pros
Small team, felxible hours, work independently and on a team
Cons
Can't think of any
University of Alberta is an excellent place to work!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2013
The UofA is a bustling workplace with ongoing opportunities to enjoy professional and personal development opportunities. Management of our research project works from a collaborative approach and utilizes best practices to move into next practice.

This position has taught me the importance of interactive approaches which facilitate participation at all levels. This position has taught me additional skills in team leadership and conflict management. The most influential learning I have experienced has been 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The most difficult part of the job is working with diverse staff with various cultural backgrounds, differing values and being in remote locations..

Co-workers are dynamic, positive and forward thinking where the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the team collaborative approaches to training, networking and meetings.
Pros
many opportunities to network and collaborate, ongoing professional and personal development, free training, attractive benefits, reasonable compensation, flexible work arrangements available
Cons
research funded without permanency, limited facilities which can accommodate certain cultural practices, limits ability to support certain cultural groups
Great colleagues and educational support
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2015
Clinical instructor for undergrad nursing students primarily based on cardiac medicine. Management research driven and approachable. co-workers helpful.
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short hours shift
Productive work place
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABFebruary 9, 2015
Excellent management.
I had a chance to improve my knowledge and communication skills.
Had a lot of hard working co-workers to learn from
The hardest part of the jib was long working hours, working at evenings and nights sometimes to accommodate patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and relationships and go out for lunch
Great professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2015
In relation to my academic experience and my opportunity to work on a research project, I came across with very knowledgeable people, including my supervisor who was great and available at all times. Great space to gain work experience before going out for the real!!!
I enjoy working in a very diverse environment particularly in Drama and Music as there is always a play or a performance to attend.
Accounting Assistant, Department of Music (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2012
At moment I work in a small office for a manager who is easy to work for and open to everyone ideas as the office is in a state of rebuilding, lots of change. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the change within the faculty and university in general as many people have been laid off due restructuring or moved to different positions so I am often dealing with someone who is at the bottom of what is sometimes a very steep learning curve. There are many upgrades to the People soft system and things that we done a certain way a year ago have changed and process to access help is cumbersome and less than ideal That being said working in an educational setting with students around at all times make for a vibrate and sometimes noisy, crowded (HUB Mall) environment. Over the years I have met some very talented people and made some life long friends.
Pros
part time hours plus benefits for many years
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 23, 2014
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
Cons
Productive, exciting, always educational and challanging.
Business Relationship Manager, WestGrid Site Lead (Former Employee) –  General Services Building, Main Campus, EdmontonAugust 20, 2013
amazing place where every day may bring new challenge, very hard to establish a routine because people and projects are in constant change, this is part of the excitement, one learns to deal with change. work atmosphere is electrifying because you are surrounded by very skilled experts in any chosen field or discipline, yet very quickly it feels like one is a part of this amazing campus community, that will provide assistance and encouragement to fulfill your career and personal goals.
Well organized
Seasonal Assistant Facility maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton albertaMarch 10, 2015
Both the crew and the management worked together quite well and was very helpful in filling this position. overall a wonderful experience.
Pros
clear management expectations
Cons
hot workplaces.
A peaceful and productive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2015
During the course of my PhD., I obtained solid knowledge in chemical engineering, separation techniques, and surface analysis. Through the quarterly reporting and presentation for sponsor of my PhD project (Nova Chemicals, Calgary, AB) I learnt how to meet the deadlines, set goals, achieve them and meet all the academic and industrial expectations. Finally, this industrial collaboration paved the way for me to discover the gaps and skills required for a PhD student to transition into a managerial role in the industry.
It is an awesome University anf good place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMay 14, 2015
The life at the University of Alberta is very pleasant. You start you day by walking through the beautiful Quad until to arrive to CCIS. The people working there are very smart and you learn many thing from your peers. The job gets harder when you have to submit a publication and gets easier when you just have to mark your lab reports.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaDecember 17, 2013
Working at the University within the Computer Poker Research Group was amazing. I learned a ton of new things, contributed lots of code to the project and felt like I was apart of the advancement of the field. The supervising members were amazing and the problems were challenging and fun. The hardest part of the day was not getting sidetracked on all of the amazing different facets of the project.
Pros
personelle
Cons
wage?
a good place to work if you want work life balance
SUPERVISOR, FINANCE AND BUDGETS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2015
- An 8 hour day with various duties depending on your job
- Learned how business operates in the public sector compared to the private sector
- Good team atmosphere
- Good work life balance
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 29, 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
Managed certificate programs for public administration employees & elected officials
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2012
Supervised staff, managed financials, hired instructors, wrote and submitted grant funding, and met with students. A great job with learned much more about conflict resolution, and managing projects, and people.
Pros
working with people, and meeting with professionals in the field.
Cons
long hours - no time off
Great place.
System Administrator & Resident Sorcerer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 23, 2012
I had 11 different operating systems to keep running. And I did. My job was to make it possible for other people to do their job.

My bosses never understood what I did, but since things kept working, they didn't care.

I didn't have any co-workers. One man IT department. 300 computers.
Pros
banked overtime, open culture
Cons
too much to do! run off my feet.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant Faculty of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2012
Submitting information and doing resumes for Faculty of Nursing.
Pros
very dynamic and competitive environment.
Nice learning environment.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2013
It's more about education at this place because I am finishing my master degree here. My research group guarantees me flexible time and lots of resources to complete my work. But I have to find right people to discuss my discoveries and problems about work sometimes.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
relatively poor management
A place where research meets fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2014
The work for my job depends on the project's requirement. If we are running a field assessment oriented project, I need to go out taking samples and demonstrate sample analysis both on-site and back to lab. If we are running an experiment oriented project, I will spend most of time in our laboratory monitoring parameters of interests on a daily basis. Apart from these, I help other group members in sample analysis and sometimes give trainings and demonstrations in experimental skills. Meanwhile, I will compile some technical reports after or in the process of a project. All of my co-workers are hard workers and really inspiring. Together with them, we have figured out many burning issues during sampling and analysis processes. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see what we have found during our research can be applied in practice.

4.4