University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
The hours were very flexible and the work was very detailed and required focus. The head of the lab was very helpful as well as other lab members.
Great campus life
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Working at the University of Alberta as a Teacher's Assistant and Research Assistant provided a great campus life, and work - life balance.
learning
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 6, 2015
Being a graduate student at university of Alberta was a whole new experience for me where you enjoy great privileges in terms of learning, professional workshops, daily activities, sports facilities and much more.
It was a great learning experience for me with access to all online databases and libraries. It greatly improved my writing, presentation and teaching skills.
Pros
learning potential
Cons
salary
I enjoy working in a very diverse environment particularly in Drama and Music as there is always a play or a performance to attend.
Accounting Assistant, Department of Music (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2012
At moment I work in a small office for a manager who is easy to work for and open to everyone ideas as the office is in a state of rebuilding, lots of change. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the change within the faculty and university in general as many people have been laid off due restructuring or moved to different positions so I am often dealing with someone who is at the bottom of what is sometimes a very steep learning curve. There are many upgrades to the People soft system and things that we done a certain way a year ago have changed and process to access help is cumbersome and less than ideal That being said working in an educational setting with students around at all times make for a vibrate and sometimes noisy, crowded (HUB Mall) environment. Over the years I have met some very talented people and made some life long friends.
Pros
part time hours plus benefits for many years
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Devon, ABSeptember 24, 2015
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Cons
Seasonal work
A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 10, 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Pros
staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons
advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades
University of Alberta is an excellent place to work!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2013
The UofA is a bustling workplace with ongoing opportunities to enjoy professional and personal development opportunities. Management of our research project works from a collaborative approach and utilizes best practices to move into next practice.

This position has taught me the importance of interactive approaches which facilitate participation at all levels. This position has taught me additional skills in team leadership and conflict management. The most influential learning I have experienced has been 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The most difficult part of the job is working with diverse staff with various cultural backgrounds, differing values and being in remote locations..

Co-workers are dynamic, positive and forward thinking where the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the team collaborative approaches to training, networking and meetings.
Pros
many opportunities to network and collaborate, ongoing professional and personal development, free training, attractive benefits, reasonable compensation, flexible work arrangements available
Cons
research funded without permanency, limited facilities which can accommodate certain cultural practices, limits ability to support certain cultural groups
University Hospital great team
environmental (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
University of Alberta was a very safe and productive with supervisors who were very supportive. Although the U of A had several hospitals together it was not difficult to have co-workers from all different departments that respected you and greeted you. As part of Alberta Health Services one of your roles was to be understanding and empathetic of individual situations that arose on a daily basis.
Multi-culture and Enjoyable Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Very enjoy everyday working in the lab or be a teaching assistant for undergraduate students.
Co-works are very helpful and friendly.
Great and fun place to work at
Astrophysicist/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 12, 2016
I have been working here for more than five years. I like UofA. It's a great and fun place to work at. Everyone is friendly and environment is nice.
Pros
Fun and friendly place to work at
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.
Good university to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
I was doing teaching and researching assistant when i was pursuing my Master's degree. Edmonton is a city with incredible long winter.

Good place to study and work.
Great place to work with great opportunities
Governance Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day at work would be working with the Compliance officer on appeals. Using Peoplesoft to look up student information and entering appeal information into the database; preparing material to send to panel members; meeting students who come into the office for inquiries about how to submit an appeal and also ensuring that students and all panel members receive all of their material before each hearing; making nameplates; responding to emails from Faculties who inquire about previous offences for students; Closing appeal files after deadline dates have passed.

Processing invoices on a daily basis for the Department was also a big part of my job; reconciling accounts every month; reconciling the mastercard at certain periods of the month; printing off financial reports and checking them to ensure we are not overcharged; assisting staff with planning events and how to pay for the events;

For new staff it was my duty to enter all of their personnel information into Peoplesoft to ensure they got paid; Getting staff set up for the security system in our office; Entering staff leave reports for vacation and days off; entering hours for part-time staff to ensure they get paid.

I also looked after all of the equipment in our office. I had to make sure that all computers were kept up to date including office equipment.

I was the Resource Person in our office for all inquiries.

Multi-tasking was key and I was very used to this. It was done on a daily basis. Prioritizing work had to be done always.
Pros
Great atmosphere, constantly busy and keeps you on your toes
Cons
Not taking breaks. Got too involved in the work and not taking proper breaks.
I only got a part time job here.
Geophysics Research Student (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 17, 2013
it's not bad, I work 10-15 hours a week, salary is low, because i'm not paid by university, my professor paid me. learned lots of lab skill from my professor and his assistant. good experiences.
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant for Biostatistics (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
I work as Teaching Assistant and I have no complaints.I work with a professor who is well versed in Biostatistics so this is a great learning opportunity for me. Also, while teaching students it really helps to understand the concepts better.
Best work for students
Resource room of the Faculty of Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 1, 2015
Great place to be and graduate from. I had the opportunity to study for course and get paid to make sure others had the opportunity to use resources
Pros
more time to study and get paid for it.
Cons
not enough hours
Fufilling and fast paced
Paediatric Chart Prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2013
I really enjoy going to this job, its very challenging and fulfilling.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
open concept work place.
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AlbertaMarch 31, 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
Great Research Team
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
good hours, get to meet a lot of interesting people with a ton of knowledge.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking

4.3