University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Nice employment and nice benefits
Senior Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
Work at the University is very pleasant. Everyday there are a new challenge to face. I have been learning a lot and I am be able to mentor students in working in my lab. The hardest part of the job is the feeling that science is no longer something that the student want to do. It is not well paid or recognize anymore, almost every student want to become a doctor instead. I enjoy working with stuidents, they keep your spirit young.
Pros
Important work to help human health
Cons
A lot of work and not well paid or recognize
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2014
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Lack of mentoring.
I enjoy working in a very diverse environment particularly in Drama and Music as there is always a play or a performance to attend.
Accounting Assistant, Department of Music (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2012
At moment I work in a small office for a manager who is easy to work for and open to everyone ideas as the office is in a state of rebuilding, lots of change. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the change within the faculty and university in general as many people have been laid off due restructuring or moved to different positions so I am often dealing with someone who is at the bottom of what is sometimes a very steep learning curve. There are many upgrades to the People soft system and things that we done a certain way a year ago have changed and process to access help is cumbersome and less than ideal That being said working in an educational setting with students around at all times make for a vibrate and sometimes noisy, crowded (HUB Mall) environment. Over the years I have met some very talented people and made some life long friends.
Pros
part time hours plus benefits for many years
Good University
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2016
I studied and work at University of Alberta. Great engineering program and fun place to work. Lots of things to do on campus and much more to learn in the faculty.
Fantastic
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Given great freedom to work, pay was consummate with position. Coworkers were wonderful, really nothing but positive things to say about my time.
Productive Place to grow
Doctoral Candidate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 March 2016
A typical day involves doing experiments or analysing data.
I've learnt to be innovative and think on my feet.
I'm lucky to have co workers that are always willing to help and a supervisor that allows me some freedom with my research.
Cons
Productive, Fast Pace, and Dynamic.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2016
Working in research every project is different. The people are passionate about what they do and are looking into new ways of solving an old problem. Research was a division I enjoyed and I really liked my team. Being in the field makes weeks away from home hard. Weeks away also means you see new places and see familiar places in a new light.
Tasks are mentally and physically demanding
You have to be excited about your project
Amazing growth opportunities - if there is funding !
Pros
Different projects
Cons
Different projects
learning
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2015
Being a graduate student at university of Alberta was a whole new experience for me where you enjoy great privileges in terms of learning, professional workshops, daily activities, sports facilities and much more.
It was a great learning experience for me with access to all online databases and libraries. It greatly improved my writing, presentation and teaching skills.
Pros
learning potential
Cons
salary
Productive and offers multiple opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Faculty of Medicine6 April 2016
I have worked across various departments within the University of Alberta. Overall, work environments are relaxing and collegial. As well, the environment promotes independent thinking and learning.
Pros
Networking and professional development opportunities
Too cold in Edmonton
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2016
lots of repetitive work, which I hate. The other things are OK, Great people to work with. Working in an undergrad lab., means lots of repetitive work every day.
University of Alberta is an excellent place to work!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2013
The UofA is a bustling workplace with ongoing opportunities to enjoy professional and personal development opportunities. Management of our research project works from a collaborative approach and utilizes best practices to move into next practice.

This position has taught me the importance of interactive approaches which facilitate participation at all levels. This position has taught me additional skills in team leadership and conflict management. The most influential learning I have experienced has been 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The most difficult part of the job is working with diverse staff with various cultural backgrounds, differing values and being in remote locations..

Co-workers are dynamic, positive and forward thinking where the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the team collaborative approaches to training, networking and meetings.
Pros
many opportunities to network and collaborate, ongoing professional and personal development, free training, attractive benefits, reasonable compensation, flexible work arrangements available
Cons
research funded without permanency, limited facilities which can accommodate certain cultural practices, limits ability to support certain cultural groups
Great employer
Events Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2016
Great environment to be working in. I look forward to coming to work every single day. I love meeting new people and creating meaningful interactions.
Good summer jobs here
Maintenance Worker Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2016
Fixing rooms and providing light corrective maintenance where ever its needed. Good management and coworker to work with at these jobs.
nice and productive place
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2016
co-workers were dedicated and nice. environment triggered me to be more creative and active while they gave me new tips and tricks about working there.
A great place to work, unless you want to make money
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2016
Working at the U of A is great. I loved the campus and the people. It's not a good place to learn professional skills though.
Pros
Facilities on campus, gym, pool, close to river valley
Cons
Lack of professional culture and no mentoring
Great campus life
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
Working at the University of Alberta as a Teacher's Assistant and Research Assistant provided a great campus life, and work - life balance.
Productive and friendly workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2016
The hours were very flexible and the work was very detailed and required focus. The head of the lab was very helpful as well as other lab members.
Wonderful life experience
Graduate Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2016
My 21 years with the University of Alberta has provided me with a record of accomplishment and dedication. The experiences gave me the opportunity to develop a high level of professionalism and a strong work ethic.
I only got a part time job here.
Geophysics Research Student (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2013
it's not bad, I work 10-15 hours a week, salary is low, because i'm not paid by university, my professor paid me. learned lots of lab skill from my professor and his assistant. good experiences.
A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.

4.4