University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Satisfied with my work place
Research Monitor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Good facilities
I had a really good time at the U of A, and I had the chance to learn more about my field and related fields. Although my supervisor never had the chance to send me to an international conference, which that would had been a really nice experience.
Great place to work with great opportunities
Governance Systems Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
Pros: Great atmosphere, constantly busy and keeps you on your toes
Cons: Not taking breaks. Got too involved in the work and not taking proper breaks.
A typical day at work would be working with the Compliance officer on appeals. Using Peoplesoft to look up student information and entering appeal information into the database; preparing material to send to panel members; meeting students who come into the office for inquiries about how to submit an appeal and also ensuring that students and all panel members receive all of their material before each hearing; making nameplates; responding to emails from Faculties who inquire about previous offences for students; Closing appeal files after deadline dates have passed.

Processing invoices on a daily basis for the Department was also a big part of my job; reconciling accounts every month; reconciling the mastercard at certain periods of the month; printing off financial reports and checking them to ensure we are not overcharged; assisting staff with planning events and how to pay for the events;

For new staff it was my duty to enter all of their personnel information into Peoplesoft to ensure they got paid; Getting staff set up for the security system in our office; Entering staff leave reports for vacation and days off; entering hours for part-time staff to ensure they get paid.

I also looked after all of the equipment in our office. I had to make sure that all computers were kept up to date including office equipment.

I was the Resource Person in our office for all inquiries.

Multi-tasking was key and I was very used to this. It was done on a daily basis. Prioritizing work had to be done always.
It is a good university for research.
Research Scientist (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 26, 2015
Free atmosphere for research while the publication quality is really high.

Effective administration and support team.

Good work/life balance. The library and gym are word class.
A Small-minded Community
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2012
Pros: nice physical environment and easy commute
Cons: toxic work culture!!
Work culture is incredibly demanding and awful. One is often thrust into extra duties and chores way beyond one's mandated responsibilities. Academics are an ignorant and incompetent bunch, very difficult to work with, unless one bows to their authority like a little servant and actually do their jobs for them. Staff are not any better when many cannot do their jobs and have no motivation to upgrade themselves. Nasty politics all around and even racist comments. There is little advancement opportunity because too many people are fighting for it. Many positions are temporary and do not pay for what we put into the work. The staff union is useless and does not protect their own.
Excellent place to cultivate a young mind into research field.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2015
I am thankful to be given the opportunities working in an active research laboratory here at the University of Alberta while studying for my undergraduate degree. It is a good place to work with encouraging and open people gifted with brilliant minds.
Enjoy my TA position
Graduate teaching assistant for MAT E 202 (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in teaching
We received plenty of train for being a research assistant for undergraduates. The management is flexible and I really interacting with my students and co-operating with my co-workers.
Flexible hours for a working mom
Older Adult Researcher/Workshop facilitator (Current Employee), Faculty of Nursing- GerontologyAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Small team, felxible hours, work independently and on a team
Cons: Can't think of any
Great work environment with lots of flexibility and independence to get the work done in a timely manner and to manage your own schedule. Great for a mom that is wanting to work only part time!
Peoplesoft Functional Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
It is a very productive environment and Challenging to handle the clients ,resolving their problem by giving technical Solutions.Attending meetings ,workshops to gain more knowledge about the business process.
Management is very friendly and i am getting good opportunity to work with high knowledge peoplesoft analysts.
Hardest part of my job,well i love my job ,i never feel like something is hardest for me.every challenges make to gain more knowledge .
Gaining Knowledge is the most enjoyable part not only as a part of job but also a team member.
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee), Camrose, AlbertaMarch 31, 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
learning
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 6, 2015
Pros: learning potential
Cons: salary
Being a graduate student at university of Alberta was a whole new experience for me where you enjoy great privileges in terms of learning, professional workshops, daily activities, sports facilities and much more.
It was a great learning experience for me with access to all online databases and libraries. It greatly improved my writing, presentation and teaching skills.
Great colleagues and educational support
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2015
Clinical instructor for undergrad nursing students primarily based on cardiac medicine. Management research driven and approachable. co-workers helpful.
Great professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2015
In relation to my academic experience and my opportunity to work on a research project, I came across with very knowledgeable people, including my supervisor who was great and available at all times. Great space to gain work experience before going out for the real!!!
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: short hours shift
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits.
Cons: lack of mentoring.
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Productive work place
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABFebruary 9, 2015
Excellent management.
I had a chance to improve my knowledge and communication skills.
Had a lot of hard working co-workers to learn from
The hardest part of the jib was long working hours, working at evenings and nights sometimes to accommodate patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and relationships and go out for lunch
It is an awesome University anf good place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 14, 2015
The life at the University of Alberta is very pleasant. You start you day by walking through the beautiful Quad until to arrive to CCIS. The people working there are very smart and you learn many thing from your peers. The job gets harder when you have to submit a publication and gets easier when you just have to mark your lab reports.
A peaceful and productive environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2015
During the course of my PhD., I obtained solid knowledge in chemical engineering, separation techniques, and surface analysis. Through the quarterly reporting and presentation for sponsor of my PhD project (Nova Chemicals, Calgary, AB) I learnt how to meet the deadlines, set goals, achieve them and meet all the academic and industrial expectations. Finally, this industrial collaboration paved the way for me to discover the gaps and skills required for a PhD student to transition into a managerial role in the industry.
Well organized
Seasonal Assistant Facility maintenance technician (Former Employee), Edmonton albertaMarch 10, 2015
Pros: clear management expectations
Cons: hot workplaces.
Both the crew and the management worked together quite well and was very helpful in filling this position. overall a wonderful experience.
University of Alberta is an excellent place to work!
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: many opportunities to network and collaborate, ongoing professional and personal development, free training, attractive benefits, reasonable compensation, flexible work arrangements available
Cons: research funded without permanency, limited facilities which can accommodate certain cultural practices, limits ability to support certain cultural groups
The UofA is a bustling workplace with ongoing opportunities to enjoy professional and personal development opportunities. Management of our research project works from a collaborative approach and utilizes best practices to move into next practice.

This position has taught me the importance of interactive approaches which facilitate participation at all levels. This position has taught me additional skills in team leadership and conflict management. The most influential learning I have experienced has been 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The most difficult part of the job is working with diverse staff with various cultural backgrounds, differing values and being in remote locations..

Co-workers are dynamic, positive and forward thinking where the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the team collaborative approaches to training, networking and meetings.
a good place to work if you want work life balance
SUPERVISOR, FINANCE AND BUDGETS (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2015
- An 8 hour day with various duties depending on your job
- Learned how business operates in the public sector compared to the private sector
- Good team atmosphere