University of Alberta Employee Reviews

University of Alberta is Great!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2017
I loved the people and the commitment to ensure the visiting international students had an amazing experience at the University.

Lots of room for creativity and collaborating ideas with fellow staff to make excellent programs for visiting students.
Pros
Amazing Staff
Cons
Long hours but it can be worth it!
Nice Environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
- I learned a lot working here and would recommend it to anyone.
- Professional and Friendly work place
- You could rise to all challenge.
Pros
Professional
Cons
low Salary
Very lively work environment, amazing team and management
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2017
Amazing team environment.
Day starts with team stand-ups and everybody feels like extension to one integral unit.
There is transparency and accountability and project are tracked effectively to meet budget and deadlines.
Nice place to work
Training Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
A typical day for me includes working with a team but having the ability to complete most job tasks individually. I get to do both administrative and eLearning type work. It can be a very fast paced environment depending on the time of year.
Human Rights Problems
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
I worked at the Philosophy Department. The department was, and still is, run by a white supremacist/Christofascist clique. Do not bother to apply if you are not of white European ancestry.
Cons
racism, white supremacism, Christian fundamentalism
accessible to my needs
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2017
by having a sign language interpreter for staff meetings and events. Hardest is they do not have accessible equipment for me to make phone calls. There are available equipment out there but no money to cover the cost of installing or buying the equipment.

love working with enthusiastic students but my chairperson has very limited knowledge on what is needed for the course in American Sign Language. I was evaluated by a person with no signing background and felt it wasn't fair to be evaluated. They should be hiring a person with a background in screening my skills in Sign Language to give fair evaluation.

Overall my experience working with them was mostly positive.
Fun Workplace
fun & easy
positive attitudes
lots of culture involved
time consuming
Pros
Working with children
Cons
nothing
Good place to start career
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
It is a good place to start career, the academic research is strong there, and the professors are excellent. The career center is very helpful for the job seekers.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) - Food Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
being a teaching assistant at the University of Alberta is always a great experience. Not only you get you improve your teaching skills but you also learn yourself.
Faculty of Rehabilitation - Corbet Hall
Telehealth Coordinator - University of Alberta (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
Verifying all remote sites are connected
Going through a cheat sheet with all sites
i.e., giving examples of protocol
Setting up Polycom equipment
Maintain ongoing coordination between all live sites
Trouble shooting technical glitches
reconnecting lost connections

Technical Set up
Calling Videoconference operators throughout the world in a timely manner.

Administrative duties
Booking and set up - maintaining and updating calendar in accordance with cancellations and new requests.

This position required an ability to think on ones feet at all times, and to be able to juggle 9 balls in the air and catch them .

The ability to act as public relations officer on behalf of The University of Alberta, and maintain a high degree of integrity and professionalism throughout the conference.

To project a sense of confidence on camera, and have the ability to direct participants in a cordial manner.

The hardest part of the job was to control unnecessary rambling, and to intervene in order to bring focus back toward the topic.

The learning curve of this position was high, but once mastered, it was a fast paced, and very rewarding career.
Pros
Warm interaction with all - full of vitality and laughter
Cons
Having to go home after a great day at work !!!
Fun place to work and learn.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
I did a summer internship the University of Alberta. It was a memorable experience and I learned a lot. They treat you with care and I was able to learn a lot from the Computing Science department. Worked on artificial intelligence and incorporating that into games
Fun working experience in the airport
Airport volunteer leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
It is really good to work as a University of Alberta volunteer leader in the airport to welcome new students, answer their questions, and gaining leadership and team work experience at the same time. Through this volunteer experience, I learn different way of communicating, for example, English skills, hand gestures, and drawing, to make international student understand me and help me to understand them. Great experience.
Pros
5 CAD lunch supply per 5 hours
Cons
approximately 7 hours --- 10 hours per day
I had a lot of fun working at this branch .. All the co workers were friendly and open to help if i needed help
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
Tim hortons is a fast paced and hard working job .. I have gained how I should manage my time and the pressure and bring out each order correctly without any complaints.. Handling customer complaints in a good way has become a skill as well ..I have fun evryday at work because I love to put in my 100% and manage to make sure I do not make any mistakes .
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stressful
beautiful working space and nice people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
The working place is very beautiful and convenient, and you can enjoy great flexibility there. You can always get help if you need.
enjoyed my time spent working there.
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
Management as well as other staff knowledgable and easy to work with. No pressure to hurry a job, as long as the work was done profesionally. A lot of safety and first aid courses provided as part of employment.
Productive and fun environment with great learning environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
A typical day at work involves having fun selling at work. The culture in the Bose environment is very educational. You get to learn lots and you get to teach lots. The management is certainly one of the best I have ever had. The co-workers have pleasant personalities and are a blast to work with. There is no hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the whole aspect of working in a retail which is different than its counterparts.
N/a
Vice-President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
No idea why you are asking for this. This is pointless.. It is a students' club. No reveiw should be given at any level. 20 words min? very interesting restriction.
Great team, great leadership
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2016
Great team. Very knowledgeable staff. Worked on multitudes of projects. Union guys: great guys btw. Very understanding, supportive and disciplined. I would go back if asked.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2016
Good supervisors and colleagues very helpful. I worked in a lab conducting experiments on oil sands tailing. The job helped me get the required knowledge I needed.
Lab Tech
Laboratory Technician/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katz Building14 October 2016
My job requires a Bachelor's degree, but pays less than most entry-level jobs. There are no benefits and no opportunities for advancement. You work 35 hours per week, there is no overtime, and there is no parking on campus. I share the role of "Clinical Research Coordinator" with my coworker, but without the official title, the benefits, the training, or the pay.

The work is fascinating and the people are wonderful, but I would discourage anyone from taking this kind of job unless you are working for a really good professor or looking for a reference to get into medical school.
Pros
Interesting work, good people
Cons
Pay sucks, little training, no parking, no benefits, no opportunities for advancement, only 35 hours per week full time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3