University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great working and academic environment with excellent colleagues and students
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2015
- I can always learn new knowledge and skills from my daily work
- My coworkers are extremely hard-working, helpful, and friendly.
- However, sometimes it is difficult to find experts outside the department to share experiences on specific topics
Great University
Undergraduate NSERC Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Amazing research - top notch Chemical Engineering Program. Many grants to students
Easy work and nice payment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbJanuary 12, 2015
Just some grading and helpsession hours. Nice people. But as the budget is cutting now, the work load will be heavier.
a good place to work if you want work life balance
SUPERVISOR, FINANCE AND BUDGETS (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2015
- An 8 hour day with various duties depending on your job
- Learned how business operates in the public sector compared to the private sector
- Good team atmosphere
- Good work life balance
Good to work with students with different culture and exposure
Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ENGDecember 3, 2014
Pros: learning environment
Cons: may be stressful when you fail to rest
Good learning environment through relating and interacting with different people.
Good University
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
It;s one of the top universities of Canada and especially the Computing Science program is very good. Lots of clever people around and one gets lots of opportunities to interact and learn both inside and outside the classroom.
Nice place to work
Research Fellow (Current Employee), Edmonton, CanadaOctober 17, 2014
The Institute for Geophysical Research is in the North campus.
- It is a large campus.
- Close to the beautiful River Valley.
- Great access to biking and running.
- Nice place to work.
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits.
Cons: lack of mentoring.
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 29, 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
A great way to experience the true life of a biologst.
Ecosystem Management Emulating Natural Disturbance (Former Employee), Faculty of Renewable ResourcesSeptember 18, 2014
As with most summer student positions, the pay is low. However one should consider it an investment of sorts, and hopefully your professor/supervisor is able to spend one-on-one time with you to develop essential skills you can use in the future, and get a splendid reference like mine did for me. I would highly recommend the investment of time and lack of money, especially if you're in need of field/lab experience as a biology student.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2014
 Assisted the professors to prepare the instructions
 Graded the accounting assignments, quizzes and exams of B.Com students
 Addressed queries for accounting students
Working as a researcher and student in University of Alberta
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2014
I Had greatest days in my life in University of Alberta
I learned so many new things and I am proud of my experience in University of Alberta
One of the best University in Canada
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2014
It is a good university for grad studies if you wanna learn how to do research and be innovative with lots fun besides studying and doing research
Wasn't there long
Division of Anatomy, Divisional Administrator (Former Employee), EdmontonAugust 18, 2014
Division of Anatomy is a really horrible place to work. Chair doesn't appreciate any work done other than his work.
Developed ways to present concepts to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2014
Developed ways to present concepts to students
Marked assignments, midterm exams.
Excellent
Researcher, Lab Technician & Data Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 24, 2014
Cool place to work and study, the most enjoyable part of the job
Nice work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 20, 2014
Free work time, cozy work environment and lovely students.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, CanadaJuly 19, 2014
During the M.Sc and two years Ph.D. research I got lots of experience in design and analysis RF circuits.
A place where research meets fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2014
The work for my job depends on the project's requirement. If we are running a field assessment oriented project, I need to go out taking samples and demonstrate sample analysis both on-site and back to lab. If we are running an experiment oriented project, I will spend most of time in our laboratory monitoring parameters of interests on a daily basis. Apart from these, I help other group members in sample analysis and sometimes give trainings and demonstrations in experimental skills. Meanwhile, I will compile some technical reports after or in the process of a project. All of my co-workers are hard workers and really inspiring. Together with them, we have figured out many burning issues during sampling and analysis processes. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see what we have found during our research can be applied in practice.
TA/RA
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaJuly 7, 2014
I worked as a TA and RA while working on my degree. Assisting students in their course work, assisting professor in their research.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Alberta

The University of Alberta, a single, public provincial university, was chartered in 1906 in Edmonton, Alberta with a new University – Read more

University of Alberta Photos