University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Energy System Modelling and Analysis (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
It is good overall to work at the University of Alberta. Starting my work at 9am and call it a day at 6pm. Nice workplace under great supervision. I leart a lot in this University.
Review
Year Two Administrator, Curriculum (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2017
University of Alberta has good comprehensive benefits. The union is very supportive as well. Hours can be from 0730-1500 or 0800-1600h. They will support the hours as long as it does not affect the work. There are certain long hours during the school year.
Pros
Benefits are good
work environment at UofA
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
I enjoyed working with University of Alberta. It is a Friendly and fun atmosphere to work. They respected my work and treated me fairly. The leadership team is great
Pros
they pay well
Cons
long hrs only during fiscal year end
it was good
Psychology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
good, vert flexible but that was due to my positiotion rather than the company. it also went hand in hand with my major which is how i got involved in the first place.
Enjoyable and professional work environment.
ESL and mathematics instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2017
Very flexible in terms of how job duties are handled. Any questions and?or concerns were addressed immediately. The opportunity to meet a wide variety of people.
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alberta28 June 2017
It was a great experience. I have thorough skills about Reliability and Maintenance engineering. It was a great learning experience. I look forward to work in same field.
Amazing Undergraduate School
Primary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
The department of Anthropology is a great place for undergraduate students. So many great instructors and TA's to help the undergraduate students learn.
Cool
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2017
There is a reason this institution ranks in top 100 universities of the world. I have a good experience getting my MSc. from it since it had a very dynamic and vibrant environment.
An excellent institution
Summer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2017
The atmosphere is welcoming, the campus is beautiful, and the work was laid back, yet challenging, requiring skills I previously learned while establishing and building upon new ones.
Pros
A great place to get an education and work
Exciting and Challenging wokrplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2017
I spent the first few months reviewing scientific papers and learbing about the research I was becoming a part of. I then learned how to run the various experiments and how to analyze the data taken. The environment is very relaxed, and I had good access to my supervisor. I mostly worked alone, but my coworkers were very friendly and eager to help me out if needed. I really enjoyed all the learning I got to do on the job, and getting to know my co-workers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Difficult learning curve at the beginning
Fun place to volunteer with friends and meet up with new people
Special Event Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2017
Volunteer supervisor is super nice and great at managing people. University of Alberta is an open-minded place with lots of people with similar minds.
Enjoyable but not consistent.
Climbing Wall Instructor (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB23 May 2017
Didn't get very many hours and pay wasn't on a schedule. The people and environment was good and I made friends but it's not a job that you can sustain yourself with.
Pros
couch
Cons
little hours
Alright
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2017
It was menial data collection work, boring and didnt learn anything. Prof was nice mainly did it for the experience and to write on my resume. Wouldnt do it again hours were nice 10-4 every day without breaks
supportive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2017
Great university for graduate study.
Large freedom and a lot of support for graduate research.
Good environment.
Decent student life support.
Great professors.
Pros
Freedom on research projects
Cons
Limited funding
educational
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Graduate school. Taking classes and doing research in the field of Molecular and cell Biology. Using animal models to study heart failure or other cardiovascular complications
Independent and Rewarding
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
Typically I was required to work independently to complete daily, weekly and monthly goals. I learned how to use adobe photoshop and how to work completely independently while still meeting collective goals and standards.
Productive workplace
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Civil and Environmental Department9 May 2017
Normally working in labs so it's a quiet and calm environment, great equipment and maintenance.
I've always liked working there, I feel free to ask whatever I don't know and learn how to properly use the machines.
I enjoy lab work, the chemicals, the discoveries, the possibility of creating something new that will be used and help people somehow. The hard part is because sometimes the experiments go around the clock and time is really important so I spent many nights in the lab.
good
Post Doc. Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2017
good place to work. You will learn a lot. completely depend on funding resources. very low salary without any benefit. no time for personal life.

If you don't like to write please don't apply
Pros
acadamic atomosphare
Cons
depends on funding, very low salary
Productive fun workplace
Driver/Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Maskwacis Alberta23 April 2017
From making edits, and designs for the School books for the program, and traveling to meetings with other schools promoting the program, as well as going to events to promote program. took some training to become a facilitator, and learned new graphic design techniques. (created posters, cards, etc.)
the hardest part was meeting deadlines on a tight schedule, but was always the most enjoyable when a project was complete.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Place you can learn a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
Since I was doing a research job, it provided me a great chance to interact with different types of people. And it is a nice place and has nice co-worker to work with.