University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Fun place to work and learn.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
I did a summer internship the University of Alberta. It was a memorable experience and I learned a lot. They treat you with care and I was able to learn a lot from the Computing Science department. Worked on artificial intelligence and incorporating that into games
Fun working experience in the airport
Airport volunteer leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
It is really good to work as a University of Alberta volunteer leader in the airport to welcome new students, answer their questions, and gaining leadership and team work experience at the same time. Through this volunteer experience, I learn different way of communicating, for example, English skills, hand gestures, and drawing, to make international student understand me and help me to understand them. Great experience.
Pros
5 CAD lunch supply per 5 hours
Cons
approximately 7 hours --- 10 hours per day
I had a lot of fun working at this branch .. All the co workers were friendly and open to help if i needed help
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
Tim hortons is a fast paced and hard working job .. I have gained how I should manage my time and the pressure and bring out each order correctly without any complaints.. Handling customer complaints in a good way has become a skill as well ..I have fun evryday at work because I love to put in my 100% and manage to make sure I do not make any mistakes .
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stressful
beautiful working space and nice people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
The working place is very beautiful and convenient, and you can enjoy great flexibility there. You can always get help if you need.
enjoyed my time spent working there.
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2016
Management as well as other staff knowledgable and easy to work with. No pressure to hurry a job, as long as the work was done profesionally. A lot of safety and first aid courses provided as part of employment.
Productive and fun environment with great learning environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
A typical day at work involves having fun selling at work. The culture in the Bose environment is very educational. You get to learn lots and you get to teach lots. The management is certainly one of the best I have ever had. The co-workers have pleasant personalities and are a blast to work with. There is no hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the whole aspect of working in a retail which is different than its counterparts.
N/a
Vice-President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
No idea why you are asking for this. This is pointless.. It is a students' club. No reveiw should be given at any level. 20 words min? very interesting restriction.
Great team, great leadership
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2016
Great team. Very knowledgeable staff. Worked on multitudes of projects. Union guys: great guys btw. Very understanding, supportive and disciplined. I would go back if asked.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2016
Good supervisors and colleagues very helpful. I worked in a lab conducting experiments on oil sands tailing. The job helped me get the required knowledge I needed.
Lab Tech
Laboratory Technician/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Katz Building14 October 2016
My job requires a Bachelor's degree, but pays less than most entry-level jobs. There are no benefits and no opportunities for advancement. You work 35 hours per week, there is no overtime, and there is no parking on campus. I share the role of "Clinical Research Coordinator" with my coworker, but without the official title, the benefits, the training, or the pay.

The work is fascinating and the people are wonderful, but I would discourage anyone from taking this kind of job unless you are working for a really good professor or looking for a reference to get into medical school.
Pros
Interesting work, good people
Cons
Pay sucks, little training, no parking, no benefits, no opportunities for advancement, only 35 hours per week full time
great place to work
Bakeshop Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
very good management good work partners, helpful collage's, great memories...... My workers are well trained, good people who did they work with dedication.
Pros
my management help me all the time.
Cons
to much politics
Great!
Event Coordinator, Admissions & Records Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2016
This is a great place to work for work-life balance. Benefits are exceptional but have changed over the years. Moving up can be a challenge because no one seems to leave the University so positions rarely open.
Assistant Coach - Bears Wrestling (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2016
Great co workers, great job.
Learned many life skills and coaching skills.
Always wanted to come in to work
Hardest part was the pace and best part was the are and people
Pros
Clean and healthy work enviroment
Cons
some days were slow
Fantastic
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Given great freedom to work, pay was consummate with position. Coworkers were wonderful, really nothing but positive things to say about my time.
Good University
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2016
I studied and work at University of Alberta. Great engineering program and fun place to work. Lots of things to do on campus and much more to learn in the faculty.
high expectations good reults
Electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2016
a very strong sense of hard work and learning in this workplace. people consistently learning and teaching others, people with hard work as part of their lifestyle which is brought into the culture and atmosphere the moment they walk in and that energy is put into those surrounding. great place to work.
Great staff
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2016
The degree of satisfaction of working at the universities mostly depends on your supervisor. Like anywhere else, there are good bosses, and there are bad bosses, too. I have a great boss. The pay is low, especially considering you have a PhD degree. Hopefully the network I'm building here can help me finding my next better position.
Pros
Mixing with a lot of young professionals and students
Cons
Acedemic work can be very stressed
Comfortable job with good benefits and decent salary
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2016
Excellent support staff and departmental management. Flexible hours and good facilities and equipment. Good additional benefits including transportation subsidy.
Pros
Extra vacation during Christmas holidays
Cons
Only 10 vacation days per year
Too cold in Edmonton
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2016
lots of repetitive work, which I hate. The other things are OK, Great people to work with. Working in an undergrad lab., means lots of repetitive work every day.
Great employer
Events Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2016
Great environment to be working in. I look forward to coming to work every single day. I love meeting new people and creating meaningful interactions.

4.4