University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Research Opportunity
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Learned to design equipment, do experiments, handle apparatus safely, process data, and wrote professional technical essays. Great place to obtain research skills but salary was a little low.
Multi-culture and Enjoyable Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Very enjoy everyday working in the lab or be a teaching assistant for undergraduate students.
Co-works are very helpful and friendly.
Great place to work with great opportunities
Governance Systems Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
Pros: Great atmosphere, constantly busy and keeps you on your toes
Cons: Not taking breaks. Got too involved in the work and not taking proper breaks.
A typical day at work would be working with the Compliance officer on appeals. Using Peoplesoft to look up student information and entering appeal information into the database; preparing material to send to panel members; meeting students who come into the office for inquiries about how to submit an appeal and also ensuring that students and all panel members receive all of their material before each hearing; making nameplates; responding to emails from Faculties who inquire about previous offences for students; Closing appeal files after deadline dates have passed.

Processing invoices on a daily basis for the Department was also a big part of my job; reconciling accounts every month; reconciling the mastercard at certain periods of the month; printing off financial reports and checking them to ensure we are not overcharged; assisting staff with planning events and how to pay for the events;

For new staff it was my duty to enter all of their personnel information into Peoplesoft to ensure they got paid; Getting staff set up for the security system in our office; Entering staff leave reports for vacation and days off; entering hours for part-time staff to ensure they get paid.

I also looked after all of the equipment in our office. I had to make sure that all computers were kept up to date including office equipment.

I was the Resource Person in our office for all inquiries.

Multi-tasking was key and I was very used to this. It was done on a daily basis. Prioritizing work had to be done always.
Great and fun place to work at
Astrophysicist/Data Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Fun and friendly place to work at
I have been working here for more than five years. I like UofA. It's a great and fun place to work at. Everyone is friendly and environment is nice.
Good university to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
I was doing teaching and researching assistant when i was pursuing my Master's degree. Edmonton is a city with incredible long winter.

Good place to study and work.
University Hospital great team
environmental (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
University of Alberta was a very safe and productive with supervisors who were very supportive. Although the U of A had several hospitals together it was not difficult to have co-workers from all different departments that respected you and greeted you. As part of Alberta Health Services one of your roles was to be understanding and empathetic of individual situations that arose on a daily basis.
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
Pros: staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons: advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant for Biostatistics (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
I work as Teaching Assistant and I have no complaints.I work with a professor who is well versed in Biostatistics so this is a great learning opportunity for me. Also, while teaching students it really helps to understand the concepts better.
Best work for students
Resource room of the Faculty of Physical Education (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 1, 2015
Pros: more time to study and get paid for it.
Cons: not enough hours
Great place to be and graduate from. I had the opportunity to study for course and get paid to make sure others had the opportunity to use resources
Satisfied with my work place
Research Monitor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Good facilities
I had a really good time at the U of A, and I had the chance to learn more about my field and related fields. Although my supervisor never had the chance to send me to an international conference, which that would had been a really nice experience.
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee), Devon, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Cons: Seasonal work
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.
A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 10, 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
Excellent place to cultivate a young mind into research field.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2015
I am thankful to be given the opportunities working in an active research laboratory here at the University of Alberta while studying for my undergraduate degree. It is a good place to work with encouraging and open people gifted with brilliant minds.
Excellent place to work
Faculty of Extension, English Language Program (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 22, 2015
This is an excellent place to work. It is a cooperative teaching team, with a supportive management. Everyone wants to work here, and there is a good reason for that.
Great work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 20, 2015
The University of Alberta is a great place to work that provides you the ability to be able to further your career within different areas of the UofA.
Flexible hours for a working mom
Older Adult Researcher/Workshop facilitator (Current Employee), Faculty of Nursing- GerontologyAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Small team, felxible hours, work independently and on a team
Cons: Can't think of any
Great work environment with lots of flexibility and independence to get the work done in a timely manner and to manage your own schedule. Great for a mom that is wanting to work only part time!
Great professors
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2015
In relation to my academic experience and my opportunity to work on a research project, I came across with very knowledgeable people, including my supervisor who was great and available at all times. Great space to gain work experience before going out for the real!!!
It is a good university for research.
Research Scientist (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 26, 2015
Free atmosphere for research while the publication quality is really high.

Effective administration and support team.

Good work/life balance. The library and gym are word class.
Enjoy my TA position
Graduate teaching assistant for MAT E 202 (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in teaching
We received plenty of train for being a research assistant for undergraduates. The management is flexible and I really interacting with my students and co-operating with my co-workers.